Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

top flite p-51 giant scale build

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 PM
go_hercules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies about the battery. Now the question is: If I get a new 6V nicad, it will need a formation charge. BUT the only wall charger I have is a 4.8V 50mah wall wart. And the only smart charger is an Accu-Cycle Elite. The Accu-Cycle only does peak detection so is not good for the first forming charge. How the heck are you supposed to get around this? Is there some cheap adjustable constant current charger available for something like this? Maybe I'll ask in the battery section as well but figured you guys are more likely to use nicads.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 PM
iahawkflyer
My Feedback: (6)

Is there a good way to convert a top flite D model ARC to a B model? I know there was a company making a fiberglass turtle deck conversion for the p-47. I am wondering if there is one for the p51.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leo Spychalla I know used to and probably still does. Its about $135 for everything you need. You will just have to look him up and email to see if it's still available. I too would love a B model.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:51 AM
iahawkflyer
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the reply Spitfire.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM
sam2013june

Cool p51d scale,all wood, i need parts,prints,the company that made the kit

i have a scale p51d kit, wing-span,65in. all wood, i was out of town working, my wife call trash man to clean garage,my shop,she tells him take this,take that. the box i under my work bench was took. my prints,my wood,conapy,tail section,cowling for the front.i have the fuseloged,most of the wing done,my linkage is in the fuselodge,also in robart air main algear in wing. my prints 4or5 sheets. i can not remeber the name of the kit. it suppost to i heard a collector kit. i do not know, it has pvc parts in the front,on the oil cooler it has two doors like the real one.they both work.all are pvc. otherwise everything is wood. i saw one done, at a show, in white planes, ny at the county center hobby show. i am really despart to fine the company that made the kit. thank-you.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 AM
piperjon

Gee I would call the guy back ask him dump the wife in the bin.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sam2013june
i have a scale p51d kit, wing-span,65in. all wood, i was out of town working, my wife call trash man to clean garage,my shop,she tells him take this,take that. the box i under my work bench was took. my prints,my wood,conapy,tail section,cowling for the front.i have the fuseloged,most of the wing done,my linkage is in the fuselodge,also in robart air main algear in wing. my prints 4or5 sheets. i can not remeber the name of the kit. it suppost to i heard a collector kit. i do not know, it has pvc parts in the front,on the oil cooler it has two doors like the real one.they both work.all are pvc. otherwise everything is wood. i saw one done, at a show, in white planes, ny at the county center hobby show. i am really despart to fine the company that made the kit. thank-you.
Can you post some pics of what you have there,, Top Fight makes a kit in that size but what you have sounds like it has more scale details,, maybe a Dave Platt kit?? ,, but we'd mostly be guessing with seeing what you have
Old 12-24-2015, 04:16 PM
rdperformance
My Feedback: (3)

Question if any body is still out there, does the c/L offset for the motor create the 3 degree right that is needed or do I have to now angle the motor to the fuse C/L, Or does the bulkhead have the offset builtin.

Thanks jets do not plat this game.
Rich
Old 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Every P-51 I've ever built had the 3 degrees built into the bulk head.

What are you building?

Pica 1/8, TF Gold, TF Giant Gold, CJM 1/5
Old 12-24-2015, 04:28 PM
eric_monster

If I recall, the offset was built in when following the plans.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 PM
rdperformance
My Feedback: (3)

Tomcat its a TF giant gold but the fuse and wings were built befoe I got it. putting a DLE 55 in and reading a build thread on hear I see the C/L offset of the engine. The problem is the I have the half cowl and the the top of the fuse over the engine is built and when I mount the engine offset it is no longer centered in the cowl where it meets the spinner base. I might be better off cutting that off an going with the fiberglass full cowl that available.

eric, I don't have the plans and found the manual but no plans on internet. I am not sure how this guy assembled the firewall.

Thanks Rich
Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Hi All,

I just got in the TP P-40 Giant Scale ARF and DLE55RA motor,

I did not see this question posted anywhere in the thread. Has anyone made the Stab removable instead of gluing it to the fuse?

Looking inside from the inside end of the stab, there is some space between the sheeting and the tube socket that would need to be filled in with some hard balsa or ply. Then drill and tap through the bottom of the stab into the tube to secure the stab. All my IMAC giant scale planes have a similar setup except they are sheeted foam and not built up. it may require a bolt into each tube, front and back on each stab half.

Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RC Accessory
Hi All,

I just got in the TP P-40 Giant Scale ARF and DLE55RA motor,

I did not see this question posted anywhere in the thread. Has anyone made the Stab removable instead of gluing it to the fuse?

Looking inside from the inside end of the stab, there is some space between the sheeting and the tube socket that would need to be filled in with some hard balsa or ply. Then drill and tap through the bottom of the stab into the tube to secure the stab. All my IMAC giant scale planes have a similar setup except they are sheeted foam and not built up. it may require a bolt into each tube, front and back on each stab half.

Thoughts?
Perhaps this question would be better asked in a P-40 thread instead of this P-51 Mustang thread?
Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

P-51 I thought............man RCU is screwed up with the new format..
Old 02-05-2016, 07:40 AM
mljim

Default Need Direction

With wing sitting in wing saddle and center of wing on CL of fuselage there is approximately 3/4inch difference in the distance from the center of the aft end of the fuselage and the outer tips of the left and right aileron using the "string method" of measurement. Moving the CL of the leading edge of the wing corrects the difference, but really is not the answer for this large of difference. Suggestions please.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 PM
mljim

Got it within 1/16 with careful measurement and establishing the true CL.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Rc_Dave37

Hey Dragonfly24
I have a question about the wing sheeting as you have done it and might be able to help. I have made one skin at this time and i test fitted it and it dont fit. am i suppose to cut the sheeting to fit? and why does it tell you to glue the sheets 1/4'' off?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You must trim the sheeting to fit or else..???
Not a big deal. Just be careful that your wing doesn't develop a warp while sheeting. Make sure your wing is as it should be during that process.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Rc_Dave37

Hi BobH
So i then have to trim the sheet so it will fit properly? Anyidea why the manual says to have an offset of 1/4" when edge gluing them?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM
BobH

Dave,
long time since I built the kit so I don't recall.. But yes trim the sheets so they fit as best as you can.
you'll need to do that for the tops and bottoms.
the GOOD thing about a wood kit is.. no matter what.. anything and everything can be fixed )
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Rc_Dave37

Bob
Thank you for your help. I do agree with being it is wood most everything can be fixed. i just want to make sure im doing this right. this is my first big build and im learning this as i go.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:48 AM
ezugner

Default Fuselage Drawings Needed

I am trying to complete a Top Flight Mustang (1/5 scale Gold Edition) that I purchased in 2001. I just realized that I have all the drawings except for the front half of the fuselage. I called the number on the front of the build manual (217-398-8970) to get a copy and they informed me that the drawings are no longer available.

Does anyone still have access to the drawings for this kit? If so, will you please let me know so I can get a copy, or the original?

Thanks for your help.

Eric
Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 AM
BobH

Eric,
I built this kit years ago. Let me say that the front of the TF kit is really messed up. I mean REALLY messed up. It no way resembles the full size plane at all.
I ended up redrawing the nose profile on the plans using a GOOD drawing. Ultimately I had to make a few new formers but that was easy.
Take a look at that approach and No I no longer have the kit drawings.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:26 PM
pilotdude57

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Top Flite full giant scale P-51 kit, and I will take a look at it and see what I can find. My email address is [email protected] Tracy
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ezugner
I am trying to complete a Top Flight Mustang (1/5 scale Gold Edition) that I purchased in 2001. I just realized that I have all the drawings except for the front half of the fuselage. I called the number on the front of the build manual (217-398-8970) to get a copy and they informed me that the drawings are no longer available.

Does anyone still have access to the drawings for this kit? If so, will you please let me know so I can get a copy, or the original?

Thanks for your help.

Eric
Worse comes to worse you might try downloading the best Mustang plans you can find. Chad Veich IMHO has the best at 1/4 scale. But he charges for them so I can't give you a set of those. But you can find good sets out there. It won't be the TF plans but they will give the outlines and with the help of a good print service, you can get them sized right as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.