Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Buiding pics Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

Do you kown where I can obtain a set of full size plans for the 1/3 scale WACO?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
BigBoy99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean only the Plan?
I don´t believe, that you have luck.

Bernie
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
frequent flyer

Well I got the 1/5 scale download and took it to kinko's and had them enlarge it by 40 %. which gave me what I wanted. Now I have the plans and parts templates for a 30% Waco YMF-3 . I have many 1/3 scale plans and I can change the parts that need be stronger ... no problem. It has 100" wingspan, 12"dia cowl, I'm going to power it with my mvvs 116 , I'll do a full picture post for those of you that might be interested in the build. I was thinking of going to 1/3 scale as the one I read earlier in this thread that had the same engine. But I wanted not to be under powered because where I fly it usually is pretty windy and one needs the power at times. I've seen lots of great ideas reading the thread so far and hope it goes on.

Frequent Flyer
WACO brotherhood # 91
Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
BigBoy99

Hi Frequent Flyer,

nice to hear, that gou got your plans enlarged. I think, it´s not so easy, to built a model with an enlarged plan.
Especially in the case, from 1/5 or 1/6 to 30%. That´s a big jump, you have to measure every stringer etc.
The drawed lines are too thicker, I think, you have to measure in the middle of the line.

My next object will be an enlarged too, I ordered at Ziroli a plan of a F8F Bearcat in 90 inches wingspan, and will
blow it up to 113inches. But this is only a 25% jump, not like yours, a 40%!
But for a good modeler like you are, it will be not a problem.
The advantage is, when you get the plan additional on CD, you can print every part on paper,
glue it on plywood or balsa and cut it out, and this 1, 2, or 3 times, if nescecary.

The MVVS 116 is in my opinion a good choice for a 30% Waco, redcesar does fly it in his, and the videos are great.

Soon I´m ready with my Waco 33%, and it would be great, when this thread doesn´t die.

Bernie
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
frequent flyer

Hey Bernie

It's good to here your coments.[8D] After seeing the vidio of the 1/3 WACO fly, and it was beautiful, I am thinking that maybe the 116 engine I have is ggod power for a 1/3 scale and I might go a little bit bigger. What do you think? It seems like the 1/3 size flies great! I was affraid that it might be under powered, but by the video , that does not seeem to be the case. Bigger is easier to see and in my case the bigger the better where I fly because of the wind. I did get all the templates which I also enlarged for the bulkheads and ribs etc. from the downloads. I know there are area to beef up and modify and that's what the hobby is all about. The thread has a wealth of info and without it I would be on my own. There has been alot of great ideas within the thread here and the ones under antique scale aircraft for the waco. I am thinking of going for the 1/3 now. I have the can mufflers ofr my engine and that should give some good power I'm hoping. Making all the molded parts might take a little effort but that's O.K. I love building. I guess I'm a liitle nuts. I have about 25 planes now and about 8 kits I haven't opened yet. I'm building a Zirolie AT-6 Texan and a Liberty Sport Bi-Plane that has an 8' wingspan.

Don aka Frequent Flyer
Waco Brotherhood #91
Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 AM
frequent flyer

Bernie

Could you lay out how you set up your 1/3 scale plane servos , recievers etc. ? Do you use a power commander, How many batteries? Do you use a regulator? Do you use a dual battery set up? I always like to see what the othe guy has had success with.

Thanks Don
Frequent Flyer
Waco Brotherhood #91
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
BigBoy99

Hi Don,

I use HT 5955 TG for elevator, rudder and for stab adjustment. Ailerons ar HS 645 MG on each (4pcs.) Throttle is too a HS 645 MG.
Additional I use the powerbox competition with 2 LiPo batteries 2800mAh each.
Transmitter will be the Futaba T 12 FG 2,4GHZ with the reciever 6014.

I hope, you know what it means, to built a plane in such a size only from an enlarged plan!
But I cross my fingers and wish you luck and constancy, to make it ready [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

And it would be great, when you continue this thread, when I´m ready!

Regards
Bernie
Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
frequent flyer

Thanks Bernie , I have those servos and I just also bought the Futaba 12 channel 2.4 radio. Finally a radio that I do not have to worry about someone else turning on my frequency!!!!!Hal a lou ya! I lost two planes to such mishaps in the past 40 years. As soon as I reengineer my plan and get cutting I will post Pictures for you to see. I think your'e gona like it.
Does that 116 engine give plenty of power on your 1/3 scale plane? The Video looks like its doin fine. Great looking plane. I was looking at all the pictures you posted , did you build two different planes?

don
Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
BigBoy99

Hi Don,

the Waco with the MVVS 116 is the Waco from redcesar, he started this thread.
Mine is the yellow with the RCS 250 and will make in 1-2 month the maiden, so I hope.
Ruud´s Waco with the MVVS is flying very well with this engine, it has some about 22kg weight,
Mine has 24,5 kg with full tanks (Gas, Smokeoil )
I´m still waiting for the radio, and I´m a bit afraid about the maiden, here we say: I have pudding in my knees
I´m very anxious for your first pics.

Bernie
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM
skylarkmk1

Bernie,

I'll be listening for your knees knocking on the maiden flight, we should be able to hear them over here
Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 AM
frequent flyer

Bernie

Thanks for clearing that up , I quess I got a little confused reading the thread and looking at all the build pictures. I love that RCS radial, my friend has one on his War Plane . It is very impressive and the sound is to die for. You will love it. You will probably find yourself starting it up just to here it when its raining outside,LOL

WACO Brotherhood 93
Don Carlson aka Frequent Flyer
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 AM
frequent flyer

Default RE: Buiding the 33% Waco YMF-5 Barth Modellbau

Cesar

I guess I got you and Bernie's Planes mixed up and I asked him a question that should have been directed to you. Here it is, I am getting ready to build a waco with a 100" wing and I have the engine you have on your plane , the mvvs 116 ...... Do think that it has good power for your 1/3 scale WACO? It seems to fly great in the video I saw. Also that is a great looking plane!

Don Carlson aka Frequent Flyer
Waco Brotherhood # 91
Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
redcesar

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Don,

The power from the MVVS116 is more than enough for my Waco, you can see on the video that it is verry strong in vertical flight.
But it is all a matter of weight, my waco is about 19 KG and for good vertical performance is that important.

So try to keep your model so light as possible if you use the MVVS116.

Regards,

Ruud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5GFpjCOXtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVcq11ZRNs
Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Cybertom

Just an observation. Seems like she wants to climb a lot. Like it needed more down thrust or more incidence on the stabilizer.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
redcesar

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

Just an observation. Seems like she wants to climb a lot. Like it needed more down thrust or more incidence on the stabilizer.
Hi Cybertom,

The climb after takeof is steered by myself, the power in the MVVS is more than enough to do this.
For the rest is the Waco verry neutral in flight as well in normal or inverted flight. Also with various air speeds.

Regards,

Cesar.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Ruud, Steve here.listen it is very late and you should be in bed getting some sleep

Your Yankee Vriend

Steve
Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Cybertom

What did the "All Up" weight turn out to be? She really floats a lot like the full scale. Have you calculated the wing loading?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM
redcesar

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

What did the "All Up" weight turn out to be? She really floats a lot like the full scale. Have you calculated the wing loading?

The flying weight is 19 KG and the wing loading is aprox. 70 gr/ square dm.
Because of the light wing load you can make the landings with a litle bit practice very slow so you can land it almost on the spot.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:09 PM
BigBoy99

Hi guys together,

here again a little report of my work from the past two weeks:
The covering of the front cockpit is nearly ready, first sheet is 0,4mm plywood with a thin foam bolstering, over this comes a thin stretch fabric holded by the snap buttons.
Next step was, to hide the servo cables from the upper wing down to the fuse. For this I used the gas pipeline, it are thin 4mm alu-pipes and the cables fit in perfectly.
Also you can see a few details of the upper middlepart and a decal with my pilot name, and the buffles ar now in black.

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10181.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	876877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13593.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	876878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38789.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	876879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89817.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	876880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz29626.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	876881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71399.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	876882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cf72189.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	876883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki30221.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	876884  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki80154.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	876885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr82333.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	876886  
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
redcesar

Nice scale details Bernie.

About the engine, have you already tested the Moki on a stand or are you do the initial running of the engine mounted in the fuse so as it is?

Ruud.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
BigBoy99

Hi Ruud,
nice to see you, the engine is up to now a real "virgin". I only want to make a few minutes testing and than the rollout, to check all.
If than all is OK, I will try it.........cannot stand this imagine, my nervs will be very very down.......help!!!!!!!!!

Bernie
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: BigBoy99

Hi Ruud,
nice to see you, the engine is up to now a real "virgin". I only want to make a few minutes testing and than the rollout, to check all.
If than all is OK, I will try it.........cannot stand this imagine, my nervs will be very very down.......help!!!!!!!!!

Bernie
Hi Bernie, Steve here. Bernie listen to what I have to say. When starting your new 250 make sure you have the plane secure and tied down very very tight. This engine has so much power and torque that it will pull 35-40 kilos at full power. I would stongly recommend that you have at least one other person holding the plane by the upper center section when you try to start it. And BE CARFUL of the prop poping backwards when it hits compression. It will pop back wards and can take your fingers off before you even know it happened. don't know if you have heard about my accident with my 215? but it almost cut my right arm off last year. I lost 4.5 pints of blood and almost my arm as well. was on the operating table for 5.5 hours while the doctors put my arm back togeather. I'm not kidding if you want a photo of my injury I will send it to your private e-mail as it may be too much for some people with weak stomachs.
That being said the engine is just a perfect match for the Waco and runs very very well once you have it broken in. I recommend that you re-set the valves after about one hour of running it in. All the valve train parts will start to set in about that time.

Just a warning from a guy who learned the hard way.

Steve
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Does anyone have any contact info for Barth? I would like to purchase a cowling and wheel pants from them. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: CubNut

Does anyone have any contact info for Barth? I would like to purchase a cowling and wheel pants from them. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Hi, you have to order the Barth parts via Proctor Enterprizes here in the states. Proctor is the Barth distributer in the U.S. and Barth does the same for Proctor in Europe. Just give Proctor a call and ask Gary to order you the parts if he doesn't have them in stock. If Proctor has to order them be prepared to wait some time as all the Barth kits and parts come via a slow .very slow boat from Germany.

The parts arne't cheap belive me.but either is the quailty of the parts.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks,
I ent them an e-mail 2 days ago and no response, I will give them a call.
Anthony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.