Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Martin

The manual I printed off the web says 4 1/8" from wing near the fuse. Mine balanced w/o weight (other than the addition of heavier tires) w/ the Saito 180.

Regarding the elevator..It was pretty windy above 75 feet or so and I think I may have put too much at first. Trimming was a bit of a handfull...

Hope the engine install goes well.

One of the things I'd really appreciate is a full "parts needed" section in the manual. I may try to set down with it and reorder some pages and make some suggestions to RC Guys. Being a retired technical writer I can see much room for improvement and added ENJOYMENT during the build. I have 2 hobby shops w/in 4 miles of my house and I lapped them pretty often! This is my 5th plane build, first over 70 inches.......

It's neat to see it in the air.

Scott

For engine mounting what I do is use two wood screws and screw the engine in place and check for fit before I drill the holes. With this plane the firewall looked like swiss cheese trying to get that cowl to line up. I think its hopeless for a perfect fit. My Fugi 43 is mounted about as high as it can go and those trim lines are not straight. One other thing that I did was plate those tabs where the struts mount. I didn't like those tabs just hanging out there, seems like they are just asking to get ripped off. I ran a ply plate between those tabs and then a plate under the tabs to make that area a little more solid. I ran fibermesh and expoxy around the inside of the fuse firewall.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mobyal

ORIGINAL: bjboise406

TALKED WITH DAN SPEERS TODAY CONCERNING THE COWLING ALIGNMENT. I HAVE THE ANSWER IF SOMEBODY WILL SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, I WILL FORWARD IT TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST IT ON RC UNIVERSE THANKS SCOTT
    Attached (I hope) are the pics Scott got from Dan at RC Guys re the Decathelon cowl. Looks like it might work, and I sure never would have figured it out for myself. I'll leave it to Scott to add as necessary.....
    Al
    Well, I will be dam*ed. Here's another pic provided by RC guys of "the engine location so that the prop shaft exits the center of the cowl opening." Now, compare this photo, and the two side photos above, and look at p.20 of the manual. Then ask yourselves why these weren't included in the manual, or why the manual didn't tell us to put the engine thrust lines here, or.....
    Well, you get the point. I'm sure not gonna take my engine and mounts out to fix this. I'll just go w/ it misaligned, but I have to say, this is a real disappointment. And a real miss by RC Guys. The least they could do is update their manual.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96786.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	748479  
    MobyAl

I'm probably like the rest of you and assumed the hole was the center of the thrust line. So Dan had this info but didn't put it in the manual or just now has figured it out? He seemed like a real good guy when I talked to him at Joe Nall. I'd be shocked if he had this info and at least did not place it on the web site, which is a pretty simple thing to do. I guess thats what we get for being on the bleeding edge of a new product. Still a great plane but now I'm tempted to relocate my motor yet one more time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure there was much assuming to it. Here's the sum total of what the manual has to say on the subject:
    "First mark the center line and thrust line on the firewall using a marker. The photo shows how these lines pass through the center of the fuel line hole.
    Locate your engine and mount assembly. Offset your engine so the center of the propshaft (at the propeller) lines up with the center lines on the firewall [which we've just been told to place so they 'pass through the center of the fuel line hole'] so your cowl will sit straight."
    According to the pic we now have, the center and thrust lines are to be located at the top of the fuel line hole, not the center as the manual says and the photo in the manual shows.

MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can tell you for a fact thatI was the person that contacted Dan at RC Guys concerning the alignment of the cowling. At that point he went to work and figured out the problem and forwarded the info to me. Thanks to another RC'er it continues to get posted for all to see. So, in short, This is new problem with a new solution

scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thrust line and the engine offsets are not, IMHO, new problems -- they are part of the design process. At least by the time the RC guys built the prototype somebody had to have figured this out!

Glad to see you beta testers sussing this all out so that I will know where to mount my DA 50 when I get around to assembling one of these in a few months' time!
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a touch concerned with the thrust line issue. Seems that proper thrust line is an integral part of the design of an airplane and how it flies. Are we simply adjusting the position of the engine to make the cowling look right and in the process moving the thrust line ?

Was the original thrust line (as shown in the instructions and defined by "the hole" ) correct as far as the design of the airplane and the cowling is just goofy ?

Sure, the cowling will now line-up but I'm not real confident that the new thrust line is going to be correct. I'm just guessing but if the hole was the correct center then moving the engine up on the firewall has the net effect of increasing downthrust - correct ? Does that impact the effect of the built in 3-deg downthrust of the firewall.

Or, is it not that big of a deal ???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dubflyer

Firstly I would like to congratulate RCGUYS on bringing this great ARF to the market place. I bought mine at the Joe Noll and I know it will be a winner at our filed when I get it finished soon.

I have to agree that the manual is not very complete. Yes it is better than the standard Chineese manuals ...pictures only, but a far cry from Great planes manuals etc...!!

I have had to replace the wheels doe 4" Dubro Lights. I also had trouble aligning the main gear bolts to the predrilled holes. I added tri-stock to the firewall for my gasoline 45cc engine which weighs a total of 3.5 Lbs. I also added tri-stock to the tail feathers. I intend to 4-40 rod braces to the tail feathers instead of the flying wires

I used baby powder Talc on the wing tube and it slides on and off the wings very easily. Mt servos are Hitec 645 MGs on Rudder,Elevator,and Ailerons. I have a futaba Digital for the engine and will use manual choke.

My main conern now is mounting the Venom 45 cc Motor. I received the motor yesterday and immediatly set about installing it on the firewall. Having drawn the centering lines on the firewall I then spent 2 hrs measuring and measuring until I was sure I had the correct alignment position. I drilled the 4 x bolt holes and mounted the engine.
    I soon discovered that the blue stripes on the cowl were out of alighment if I mounted the engine on the trust lines.[&o]

Since the engine is already mounted very high on the firewall I think that to move it higher will mean the cowl would not fit correctly on the top side, just as Al (Mobyal) has also pointed out.[X(]

I guess I will have to live with an off center cowl for now or wait until RCGUYS bring out a fix for this problem.[sm=drowning.gif]

Judging from the recent info from others we can certainly see a trend here regarding the engine position and cowl alignment.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I wonder if RGGUYS have a redesigned cowl that allows mount the engine on the trust line and also centers correctly in the cowl..??[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I will post pics of my delimma tomorrow when there is better light in my garage.

It would be very intersting for all if each of us would post pics of our engine installation showing the firewall mounting points and how it looks with the cowl alighned.

Scctt..........great report on your first flights and tips on gaining access through the skylight. I will also not epoxy my wing tube into the fuse.........please keep the posts coming as you progress with your trials.

By the way ...where was the balance point ( CG )..........did you need to add up elevator..? Can anybody else chime in and supply CG data..!

Thanks,

Martin

Good suggestion, Martin --
    Here are pics of my engine installation. As you can see, because I used the OS aluminum mount w/ my OS 1.60fx, I needed spacers behind the mount to get the necessary 6 3/8" inches to the face of the prop drive. And per the manual, the prop drive is centered on the center of the hole in the firewall. Now w/ the additional info from RC Guys, I'm not inclined to try to move the thrust line higher. First, it'd be a real PITA for me to do that. Second, if I move the mount and engine up a half inch, I'm gonna have clearance problems w/ the top of the cowl. And third, I sure do agree w/ the post above that raises the question about what'd happen w/ the engine mounted ~1/2" above the originally-specified thrust line.
    Al

Name:	Pm35107.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	748898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12357.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	748899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb74967.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	748900  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And here's what I went with. This the result of using the measurements for the cowl placement provided by RC Guys. As you'll see, the engine's about 1/2" off from matching the cowl opening. I thought about the "droop snoot" approach to line up the opening w/ the spinner, but decided that the misaligned trim lines and top of the cowl line'd be a lot more noticeable... Besides, as my buddy Wayne said when I showed him, "After you crash it the first time it won't matter." There was also a bit of "To h*ll with it attitude, too. Just tired of messing with it at this point. [>:] Plus I think Fisher1648's on to something -- the cowl is just flat goofy. It's a combination of misalignment, poor instructions and misapplied trim.

Name:	Zx72583.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	748909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr53560.jpg 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	748910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85191.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	748911  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally, if you're interested, a couple of shots of the tail of my bird, showing the triangle bracing I added and the tail wires -- from a Sullivan Flying wires kit.

Name:	Om32338.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	748913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94771.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	748914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62563.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	748915  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

deleted text. did not understand situation until I looked at pictures.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW, the review in MAN shows the cowl misaligned as well. Can't remember if the author said anything about it or not?
    Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all.

5 - 10 minute flights at our giant scale event today. Some thoughts:

- w/ CG set at 4 1/8 the plane feels pretty tail heavy, I slid the battery up and it was markedly better...thinking about starting w/ 4 oz over weight on the nose and feeling it out..took significant down elevator to fly well

- lost my top canopy window..I still think it's good NOT to glue on.... I'm gonna REINFORCE the area of the fuse right below the connection with some light ply, sink in 4 1/8" blind nuts from below and fashion a new window out of something..maybe try to fashion a channel for the front edge to fit into.. lots of propwash there!!

- having trouble with the Saito 180 (which admittedly is running pretty rich now as new motor) fouling the plug (OS-F) after flight..any suggestions?..I'm considering first tuning leaner (I think the engine is ready) if this don't work then remounting to a 90 degree position..it a hassle taking the cowl off so much. The Saito has respectable power, goodsound and flies this plane very scale. Using about 12OZ in the 10 minutes...24oz tank is good decision for glow. I think once its leaner the flight times will be longer than my fingers can hold out.

-managed through cowl fittings OK.. extra screws, some washers and it works OK

- I had decided to center a screw in the middle ofthe top and bottom of the windshield.. the top is strong enough..one on teh bottom of the shield pulled out of that thin ply...will reinforce that spot ans try again

Got lots of attaboys today..always a nice thing. Sure looks different then the Cardens, Extra and Yaks!!

Peace
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Folks,

I really am annoyed with the drawings as Al stated in the manual............the center of the Hole in the firewall is depicted as the center trust line .

I drew the center line based on this and laterally moved the engine to align the prop hub to the center of the trust line and cowl.

I expected that since rcguys had according to them performed extensive testing that the instructions are correct.

Now like Al and Mr Barnes I too have a misaligned motor because RCGUYS failed to mention this issue in the manual. Also in the Model Airplane article there is not a mention of Klause Ronge having to make do with the bad cowl alignment as can be seen from the Photo on the cover.

Now we learn that the center is way high on the firewall. Fisher is probably correct in his assumption as mounting the engine higher will abviously upset the trust line and may make the fit of the cowl look better. In my view the Cowl needs to be reworked and the prop opening centered to the designed trustline. I was not expecting to have to Drill more holes in the firewall ....as Mr Barnes suggests making it look like Swiss Cheese. If the Cowl is the problem then RCGUYS should get it fixed instaed og moving the engine and possibly spoiling its flight characteristics.

If RCGUYS read this perhaps they can comment as I do not see a way to correctly mount most engines higher on the firewall . I would likw to see pictures of their tests on how they intended the engines they suggested be attached...?

Please see some photos of my engine mounting fiasco...........eventhough I followed the manual as perscribed.

Will moving the enigne up 3/8" make a difference..??

Scott..........Where would you suggest the CG be located with the elevator neutral 3.5"..??

Many thanks to all for you helpful comments.

Name:	Db84411.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	754155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32550.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	754156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ye84435.jpg 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	754157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13022.jpg 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	754158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fq88969.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	754159  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ka43521.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	754160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hj88353.jpg 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	754161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Az86878.jpg 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	754162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk86309.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	754163  

Well, try as I might I just can't get her lined up. There is something basically wrong and I'm not sure exactly where the problem lies. The Fugi can not sit that high on the firewall without hacking the top of the cowl up. Maybe its because we are using these gas engines that have a different footprint from the 4 strokers? They sold over 100 of these ARF's so most of the folks must be satisfied or we'd be hearing more concerns. I'm tired of fretting over it and will just fly the plane and enjoy it. Hopefully release two has some mods in this area to make this issue a little easier to deal with. I'll get some pictures of my install but they are similar to what has been posted, the front of the cowl has to come down to line up with the prop shaft. My cabin is now well ventilated with the mounting holes in the firewall!
    Thanks, Jerry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My buddy and I both purchased these planes and have all the same problems with both. I had to redrill my firewall and move my engine up about 1/2". I used a Saito 220 and my buddy a Evolution 35cc. (both mounted inverted) My real problems with this plane is the way it flies. With the plane set up perfect, balanced, etc. it flew like it was very tail heavy and also yawed to the left very bad. I added about 1 1/2 degrees more of right thrust to the engine, moved the battery forward, checked all the measurements of the wings, tail feathers, etc. to make sure everything was straight. Flew the plane again and was able to trim it out, but definitely doesnt fly as well as I thought it would. It will fly straight but tracks very poorly in loops and dives. (wants to pitch up and roll out) Both planes had the exact same problems. Talked to Dan at RC Guys and he wanted me to give him all the amounts of throw required to trim it out, although I dont know what else could be done to fix it. It is a nice looking plane and performs aerobatics very well, and both of these engines provide good power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

man, all these issues! I am kind of glad I missed the first run. I was too busy with work to mess with another airplane. Now that I am ready I am reading all these misc issues. Granted they are not the end of the world I am sure they will be addressed on run #2. Once they get these issues sorted out ill get one and slap a 3mm50cc on it. Hoping that it stays mostly under cowl [8D]
    Revver Bro #86

Visit RCU\'\'s E-flight Only Website: www.WattFlyer.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know (with confidence) what the effect of moving the thrust line should have on the flight characteristics ? Maybe this has something to do with the way David J's plane(s) flies ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too bad![&o]

I have been putting off other purchases to make room for this one. These are not small issues!

Any other high-wing aerobats of similar size that will fit the bill, Citabria and the like, maybe Super Cub??
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a Bud Nosen 105" Citabria which has a no right thrust or down thrust at the engine mount. Looking at the plans the thrust line appears to be very close to the adjusted line on the RC guys Decathalon, which is basically the same airplane. Flight characteristics are great. I feel with confidence, that 1/4 inch should not make a real huge difference. I guess I will report back by the end of next week and tell your how it went. I did go with the updated position from RC Guys

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bjboise, which engine did you use in the Citabria?
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used a 108 Magnum with Pitts style muffler. Airplane builds light. I also have the Nosen Champ. The RC guys Decathalon is the nicest ARF to come down the pike lately. Yes it takes some work, and some thinking, but I think for scale Aerobatic Pilots, this plane has alot to offer. (717) 805-1998 in Pa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let it go, this is not a zero zero Pattern plane move the thrust line up to match the cowl and go fly. If you were Chip Hyde maybe you can feel the change, but not a bunch of Sunday morning filers. If your that fussy go out a buy a $8000.00 dollar IMAC plane.This is the one the best ARF out there for $400.00 dollars it's a steal..Great job RCguys.. Greg.

Fly, have fun and let it go!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bonnie

Let it go, this is not a zero zero Pattern plane move the thrust line up to match the cowl and go fly. If you were Chip Hyde maybe you can feel the change, but not a bunch of Sunday morning filers. If your that fussy go out a buy a $8000.00 dollar IMAC plane.This is the one the best ARF out there for $400.00 dollars it's a steal..Great job RCguys.. Greg.

Fly, have fun and let it go!
    Which engine do you have in yours? Just wondering if a DA-50 inverted (of course!) will fit under the top of the cowl.

This might (?) be too much engine for the airplane. Thinking now of a Brillelli 36cc, because I want to have smoke and it isn't intended to be a 3d'er or a pylon racer. Scale aerobatics comes to mind.
    Bob

Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast