Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

I wonder if it is the same giantscaleplanes.com used to sell... It is the same size for one thing. This plane was not designed for gas, as most of the gassers were too heavy if memory serves me well... I hope it is a different design:-)

Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks like the MVVS 26 would work great, but not give "hovering" power but it would be close. The motor cranks on an 18x6 - 8 prop and would be enough. The roto 35vi would be an option but it would require moving some internal stuff back to offset the weight. It will be interesting to see what everyone does. The DA-50 would be way to much at less than 15lbs AUW.
    Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Super Decathlon looks good. These look like some nice size and quality planes on the website. Does anyone have one of these planes? Lets see some pics.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I, like most of you, saw the Model Airplane News piece and have been lying in wait for more info. I'm going to pre order on of these right away. I have both the H9 Tcraft and the Goldberg Decathlon (and a NIB Tcraft for when my other one is done). I enjoy flying the Decathlon more. It has to be one of the most smooth birds I have ever owned. RC Guys say that this plane is covered in Oracover. Is this like Monocote, Ultracote, or something less durable?
    \"If you love something set it free. If it fails to come back to you it was probably a dead battery.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as I know, Oracover is the exact same thing as Ultracote.
    Have Fun! - Flylow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got on the list to be notified when they come in......looks like a nice sized airplane !

Seems RCguys is in Canada....is shipping to the US an expensive issue ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Word is the RCGuys office is in Canada but they ship by UPS ground from a warehouse in NY. No duty. No tax.

Cant wait !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is true, they do ship from NY. Be careful; however, since you're buying from a company outside of the US, your credit/bank card may charge you an international service fee. Mine did. 4% of the sale price on the Cessna. No fault of the seller at all, just a surprise from my bank. Not really much you can do about it, just be aware. Maybe send a check or Paypal ?? Good luck.
    MIGJAM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw this plane at the Toledo Show and it is very nice. The size and quality makes this plane a value that will turn heads at the flying field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any info on how soon they'll be prepared to ship ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The man at the show mentioned June.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spoke with Dan from RCGuys this morning and pre-ordered one. They hope to be shipping mid June. The first batch will consist of 126 airplanes.

Cant wait

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCGUYS sent me an E-Mail saying a G-45 would be fine for under the hood.......I'm in the process of sending one off to Ralgh in Arizona for a little weight reduction and a electronic advance ignition........I'm interested in seeing the plans/instructions to find out how wide the cowl is so I know what's going to be stickin out.
    I was really wrestling with the choice of the Decathlon or the H9 1/4 scale J3 thats on the way, but this is prettier, $100 less and I've got to find something to do with this G-45.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Checks in the mail, I sent it off this afternoon so, in about 6 wks I'm going to be looking for my UPS man............he loves it when I get stuff.........I think he's a closet RC NUT.

I wish some of you guys would go to the RCGUYS web site and take a look at the Decathlon pictures front view...........does that front windshield look funny to you?
    The way its mounted looks weird.....like its just sitting on top of the covering on the hood area behind the cowl...........or is it just me?

It would be a shame if they didn't have a nice scale fit to that front windshield....tell me I'm just seeing things...........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do admit that it looks like the windshield is just sitting there with a couple of screws in it to hold it on but the outline looks fairley close. For what their asking for this ARF I would be prepared to tweek things a bit. Here is the R/C Guys and the WH side by side for comparison.

I'm surprised that they said a G45 would be OK. I asked about my Saito 270 and their reply was that it would be way too heavy and powerful. My Saito and your G45 would be about the same in both respects. When you realize that they used a ST2300 without any weight to balance, your engine and mine must be too heavy. I have since decided to use my YS 140 or buy the new OS 200 if it is available in time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12587.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	671204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56475.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	671205  
    I can only please 2 people every day and #2 just left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had questions about cowl size/engine fitment and Dan replied with the following measurements:
    The cowl inside is 8" wide, 7 to 8" tall and 6.25" from the firewall to the prop backplate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The finish of the WH Decathlon is definitely better........Tower Hobbies has some products made by Fourmost Airplane Accessories that may help finish that windshield. The Window Flange and the U-Trim are both of interest. When I was finishing my Giant Stinger I needed some canopy trim to make the cockpit assembly look decent. I found this stuff in the TH catalog but there weren't pictures good enough to really see what the stuff was.........so I ordered some of each..........its in the shop on the wall just waiting.
    I bet the window flange is perfect to make that windshield look like it should be there....
    I won't know for sure till the Decathlon arrives and I get a chance to evaluate it, but the Fourmost stuff should be something to keep in mind if you don't like the windshield fit.

TH catalog, page 91

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just paid for mine in full in order to get the free shipping offer... Should be here mid June.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What's the difference between a Decathalon and a Citabria.
    I just bought a Nosen Citabria kit. Thought they were the same thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sebo, Citabria has 118 h.p. and has a bit bigger wing. WS 33.5 ft length 22.7 ft +5 -2 Gs
    Decatalon 180 h.p. WS 32 ft length 22.9 ft +6 -5 Gs The factory finish is different for either plane. www.bobhannah.com/american_champion and you can find spec sheets...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, anonymouse.
    Now I can understand why I (personally) couldn't tell the difference.
    Those are good information sheets. I could modify my Citabria into a Decathalon if I got ambitious. I wonder how many guys out there are as unknowing as I was.
    The width of the cockpit is too small for me to fit in.
    I'm going to print these specs and see how much it would really take to build the Decathalon.
    This is going to be a fun build.
    Thanks again.
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At 20 feet away, most people wouldn't know the difference between the two....As far as modeling, the dimensions would be the big thing, if you were to stay to scale, but for me it would be a matter of color scheme. Mouse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bought mine at Joe Nall, suppose to ship on the 15th of June. They do have all the spare fiberglass parts coming in on the first order so if we screw up a cowl or pant they'll have them in stock. I was very impressed with the pototype model they had at the show. Only thing that looked a little questionable the was the landing gear. Seems like they could have dressed that up a little but other than that everything looked great.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm glad to hear good things from someone that has seen the real thing..........other than the gear, the rest of the plane looks as good as you could expect............from the pictures on the web site, it looked like the windshield fit was funky......I guess if it was you would have noticed that and said something........no news is good news

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually I didn't see anything wrong with the windshield. Maybe I'm not being picky enough but after seeing all the comments I was shocked to see how well it looked. The door is hinged and opens with ease and there is easy access to the wing bolts, the struts are very nice and the covering was average I'd say. What I was really impressed with is how much room there is the cowl. No problem mounting a gasser in this dude. I'm puttting a Fugi 43 in mine and I suspect the entire motor will fit inside the cowl. I think this is going to be a great general Sunday flyer. Of course without spending time in the fuselage I can not venture a guess on how well constructed it may or may not be. Great color scheme.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast