Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

ORIGINAL: anonymouse

Sebo, Citabria has 118 h.p.
    My Citabria has a factory installed 160 HP O-320, but the 118HP is available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just got my order confirmation and receipt in the mail a couple days ago.........it says I now own a 98" wingspan Decathlon............in about 3 weeks the RCGUYS will be busy shipping a lot of big boxes all over the country........I just hope its as nice as the guys who saw it at Toledo say it is.........that'll make me happy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just e-mailed Dan Speers to see if the Decathlons were on schedule to ship mid June.
    When I find out I'll let you all know.........hopefully tomorrow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know this was brought up previously but does anyone have any new suggestions for the "ideal powerplant" for this airplane ? I've pre-ordered the airplane and have been collecting components but am still undecided on the engine.

I'm leaning toward a 50cc gasser (I fly at 5k ft altitude) but want to wait until I can see the airframe to make sure it appears fairly robust. I'm not opposed to glow if that's a better match.

For the guys who have pre-ordered - what engine are you gonna use ?

Thanks, Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to get this plane on the next run ( too many things on the go right now ) and have done a lot of research on engines. I can tell you that a 50cc is waaaay too big. If you check the video on their website they flew it quite well with a ST 2300 glow engine and they tell me it balanced with the ST in it. I inquired about putting my Saito 270 in it and Dan Spears told me it was much too powerful & heavy. He said to go with no more than a Saito 220 at tops.

But of course I'm sure there are those who will overpower it, but I don't think it needs it.

Here is part of the e - mail he sent me

Don,

If your Saito 270 is alot like the Saito 300 twin (4.8 hp) it has way more power than this airplane needs. There is always the new Saito 220 (3.5 hp) that matches the power of the Supertigre I was using.

Call us when you get back.

Regards,

Dan Speers
    RCguys.com div. of Mobile Airships Inc.
    tel 519-756-1110
    www.rcguys.com
    I can only please 2 people every day and #2 just left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After going over the plane carefully at Joe Nall I can tell you that 50cc seems overkill even at high altitude (I fly at 5K feet also). But there is plenty of room in the cowl. I'm planning on putting a Fuji 43cc in mine, I have several of these motors and really like them.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm re-thinking the 50cc idea.....

What do you guys think of the 35cc OS glow other than the fuel cost and mess ? http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg0350.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why not one of these. The new OS 200. This is where I'm leaning. Then it'll sound like a REAL airplane.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82909.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	697411  
    I can only please 2 people every day and #2 just left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan Speers sent me an e-mail today to let me know the Decathlons arrived in California today..........they take a train ride to New York state and then a truck ride to the warehouse...............so they are on schedule to ship out to all of you (and me) around the middle of the month.............yippee skippee

On the question of engines????????????.....................and I am quoting the man....the range is 2.5 - 4 hp. The 200 4-stroke is on the lower end of this scale but very useable.

The full review of this plane will be in Model Airplane News, on the new stand, in mid July.
    I believe the reviewer used the O.S. 200 to power the Decathlon for this review.

And now you all know as much as I do.................maybe more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your Decathlon is in there somewhere..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94792.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	697825  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking Venom 45 or Venom 30

Venom 45

Displacement: 45 cc/2.8 ci
    Power: 4.8 HP
    Weight: 1.6 kg / 56oz (including muffler and ignition)
    Bore: 40 mm
    Stroke: 36 mm
    R.P.M Range: max 7500 ~ 7800 R.P.M min 800 ~ 1500 R.P.M
    Prop Size: 20 x 10 or 20 x 8
    Ignition: 2W with 6V battery
    Ignition advance: Max 31deg.
    (Throttle wide open).
    Suitable gasoline: 91 octane
    Fuel Mix ratio: Break-in: 1:15, 1:20
    After break-in synthetic oil like
    Amzoil or Klotz is recommended.
    Includes: Ignition, and pitts muffler.
    Warranty: 2 Year.

Copperhead Venom 30 cc

Displacement: 30 cc
    Power: 3.8 hp
    Weight: 42 ounces
    (including muffler, ignition)
    Bore: 32 mm
    Stroke: 32 mm
    R.P.M Range: 7500 RPM18 x 8 Zinger Prop
    Prop Size: 17 x 7, 18 x 6, 18 x 8.
    Handle any plane up to: 16 lbs
    Ignition: RCxcel 4.8 - 6 Volt

Jonathan Ott
    Extreme Aerosports
    Elizabethtown, KY

AMA 107225
    ProBro 66
    Wild Hare Edge 540T/ DA-50R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Won't be long now and you can see which engine will fit for yourself.......The Decathlons should be in the N.Y. warehouse today........after inspection to make sure all the stuff is in the box, they get shipped off to all of us....so next week some folks should be getting their planes and the rest of us farther away the following week I suppose.

Dan Speers said he will be doing a final touch up of the manual next week after all the planes are shipped.....so look for it on the web site toward the end of next week.

Spare parts are in inventory so don't worry if the dog finds the box the UPS man left before you do.......

There are a few planes from this shipment that don't have homes yet............but with the Model Airplane News review coming out next month they won't last long.........there is a good chance the Decathlon will be on the front cover..........so if you haven't got one reserved you better hurry up.

I sure would like to see some of you new Decathlon owners post your first impressions of this bird so the rest of us know what to look forward to.....................I'll be watching to see who receives big boxes first next week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been anxiously awaiting mine and received an E-mail from Dan saying I could probably have it on Monday. I live close enough to just drive over to RC Guys and pick it up. I had a little 40 size Decathlon for years and it was my favourite old stand by. I have discovered that although I can build, I don't have the dedication to the task that a lot of hobbyists do and so this ARF will give me the larger Decathlon I have always coveted and without the work and with a very reasonable price. I have a new G26 for it and I think it will be enough power to allow the smooth basic manuevers I like. I'm not much into the so called 3-D style so I'm thinking this will be the nice larger size cruiser that will suit me. The best part of this hobby has always been the contemplation of the latest new plane. Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy..................Good Luck to all new Decathlon owners.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Bob...........you're our man........drive over there Monday and knock on the door.
    When you get it home, give it a good look and then come on here and tell us what you think..............you'll be our "forward observer".................hope you like red and white

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My wife and I met the RC Guys at the Nall and it was a pleasure! Good People!!!

Cheers,
    Tim - Ohio Model Products / Copperhead Aviation
    www.ohiomodelplanes.com
    www.copperheadaviation.com
    www.rcmanufacturing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Turns out I will not be able to get my plane next Monday. We are going up to the lake tonight for a few days and then have commitments the rest of the week. Tuesday June 26th is the most likely day for me to go to the R/C guys location. Some of you fellows may have received your planes by shipping by then. My new Zenoah arrived Friday and the servos I ordered will be along in good time for me to begin assembly ASAP. I am really looking forward to this model. I have been doing very little in the hobby the last couple of seasons due to health issues and other things but, retirement and a return to good health has me keen again. The availability of good quality ARF's means that guys like me who don't have the patience to be good builders can still play and have reasonable looking planes to use. I look forward to following this thread. The only thing that is as much fun as the planes is windbagging about them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to add some tail wires to this plane. The scale effect will be worth it and I like the idea of support for a horizontal stab this wide. I think with the short nose a little weight at the back won't be a problem. My pal built a 1/4 scale Decathlon from scratch years ago and had to add a lot of weight in the tail with a gasser up front. I don't really care for exposed servos but, with them at the back instead of in the cabin area balance will be easier to achieve. I guess we have to consider this as a very reasonable facsimile and not a true scale masterpiece. For most of us that's just fine....My only previous experience with gas power was a brief ownership of a giant aeromaster with a Quadra motor. I liked it but, it got traded away to another hobbyist. This is going to be fun...........
    Best Regards to all
    Bob.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Received an email indicating mine was shipped....according to UPS tracking I should have it by Monday [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plans changed again and I went to the RC Guys location and picked up my Decathlon today. I won't be able to get started at assembly until next week but, I have it. My wife got tired of me blathering and said, " just go and get it". First imprssion is " Man Oh Man what a beauty". I could never build this plane at this price nor as well. There is not a fault in the covering. The hardware looks good. Real hinge point hinges and proper heavy duty control horns. The fibreglass parts look really nice. Mr. Speers was a first class gent and showed us around his little factory where they produce their R/C advertising blimps. Very interesting. My new motor is here and there is a notice from the Post Office that I have a parcel waiting. Probably my new servos. I'm out of excuses now, gotta get this thing flying. The other good thing is that our dollar is doing quite well against the U.S. greenback and I didn't have much of a premium to pay. Anyways, I guess I'm the first kid on the block with this new toy. Kinda neat even at my advanced years.
    Best Regards to all
    Bob.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Bob,
    What engine did you decide to go with? Was there an assembly manual included in the box or do you have to download it from the web site? I would be interested to know how you like the fit of the windshield to the fuselage and what you think of the gear?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gents

going to place my order this weekend, I think lol. The accountant is going to pass final call on it but it loks good so far.

I plan on trying the Evo 26GT in mine. Gas reliability, ease of operation and it fits in the cowl

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EVOE26GT2
    Revver Bro #86

Visit RCU\'\'s E-flight Only Website: www.WattFlyer.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bought a new Zenoah G26. It will be sufficient for the type of gentlemanly aerobatics that I like. I am not one of thoese 3-D guys at all. The manuel is on the internet. I have not done anything with trial fitting so I can't offer any opinion. I did notice that the root ribs have a slight undercut at the front that apparantly allows for the windshield where it fits around the top cabin formers. The gear is a two piece unit and the plate where it fastens inside the cabin looks stout and is tab locked into the cabin formers. I think it should be strong. The wheel pants and cowl are really nice fibreglass units. I hope to get started with the assembly next week. We are going to the lake for the weekend. The windshiled and windows are tinted. It might just be paint, I'm not sure, but they look good and you might get away without a pilot bust if you wanted to stay minimalist to save weight. I'm going to get one of the great planes pilot busts when they come out. They are going to be reasonably priced. I looked at an MGA pilot, but at $50.00. I decided against it. I guess I'm thrifty (cheap). HeHeHe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,
    Could you send some photos our way? Want to see the quality of this bird up close. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am basically a computer illiterate. I can function to use these forums obviously but, posting photo's etc. is beyond my abilities. It is a quality item however. I wish I could be of more assistance. I can only say that by my standards I will be quite pleased to take this model out to the flying field. It looks REALLY good. The structure looks great with the formers etc. being laser cut and fitting together very well. The cowl and wheel pants are first rate too.........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The UPS guy delivered my Decathlon today . It arrived in great shape with no damage. The overall quality looks great and the covering is very well done and not a wrinkle !! I cant wait to get started on it and will post some pics tomorrow.

I still havent decided on an engine. I've concluded I want to go with a gasser but there are so many options out there it's a tough decision.

I think this airplane will definately stand out in the sea of big Extras and Yaks at the flying field.[sm=thumbup.gif]

I'm quite satisfied so far.

Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a G38 would suit it well since it calls for up to 40cc gasser. Should fly well in the 15 to 20 lb. range. My Dynaflite Decathlon weighs in at almost 20 lbs. and it flies like a dream with G38 gasser. Can't wait to get my hands on the Agwagon coming out this fall from RC Guys. Hearing about the quality of this Decathlon.....the Agwagon should be golden!

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast