Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
bradleyban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Andy I had to lower my engine from the sugested dimensions 1/2". My motor mount would have almost been sticking out the top of the cowl. All I did was move my line down 1/2" and then tried the cowl to see if all my lines lined up. Kind of a weird way to do this but the dimensions in the instructions arn't very good or are for an earlier model. Get rid of the manual and go with your instincts.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM
sdossett

Hope it works out bradleyban.
I used Sullivan and Dubro large dia. lines, tank stopper set, clucks and etc. all the way up to the Saito 180 carb and then used a Sullivan adapter to go down one size to get to the carb.
Don't know what your Saito needs, but I couldn't find much reason not to up-size.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcnutstoo

Flymorerc, I was wondering if you have pics of you're ZDZ install?. I marked off the centerline from the amended pics on the thread It looks too high to me the needles on the carb look like they are going to stick through the top of the cowl. I'm trying to line things up before I drill holes in the firewall. Also do you have the rear exhaust? Any info you can give will be much appreciated. Thanx. Does anyone else think the instructions lack dimensions and other important facts? most every thing else has gone together well compared to some of the rest.

I have the same problem. My needles will be about 1/16" above the firewall. Right now I plan on using some small pieces of balsa to hold the cowl above the needles.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
bradleyban

Guys check your cowl before you mount the motor because it will look like your cowl is pointing up. The dimension they give you is way to high
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
FlymoreRC

Yes, the engine needs to be installed 1/2" lower than the manual shows.
I drilled and test mounted the engine only to find out that the manual was off. See photo, you'll notice the original hole above the engine standoff. The standoffdimensionis 1.5" in length.

After the engine is mounted, then line up the cowl to look best for the install.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11151.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1452178  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

Ok. looks to me like the center line should line up at the same spot the color changes from red to white. I look at my cowl and that line runs right through the center of the spinner ring on the cowl my instruction say to mount the cowl and line the engine up with the cowl and mark it out. There is no way to mark out holes for stand offs that way. So if I measure down 1/2" from my original mark, - the down thrust of the firewall that should put it about right by eyeball. looks good thanx guy's
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
rcnutstoo

Ok here's what I ended up with for mounting the ZDZ-40. I had to move the amended thrust line 3/8" down to get the cowl lined up. I held a yard stick up to the side of the fuse lined up with the seam on the covering where it goes from red to white my cowl lines up perfectly with the seam and the stripes also. The spinner is perfectly aligned on the front of the cowl. 2" stand offs clear the rear ex. muffler from the firewall by about 3/8" with minimal gap from spinner to cowl it will just fit over the fuse.That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
trs3243

I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY RC GUYS SD.THE STRUCTRE IS GOOD SOME IMPROVEMENTNS ARE NEEDED.THE COVRERING LESVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED;;;;;. WHEN TESTING THE ENGINE STRIPES & STARS ON WING TOP STARTED TO BLOW OFF.I SEE TRIM CUTS IN OTHER PLACES. WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER UNIT FROM RC GUYS. WHERE IS Q U A L I TY C O N T R O L?????????
Old 06-19-2010, 04:37 AM
bradleyban

Dude you bought a 400 dollar plane. Go out and buy an Aeroworks if you want a flawlessw kit. Don't bash RC Guys they have been good to me and many others
Old 06-19-2010, 04:54 AM
FlymoreRC

ORIGINAL: trs3243

I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MY RC GUYS SD.THE STRUCTRE IS GOOD SOME IMPROVEMENTNS ARE NEEDED.THE COVRERING LESVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED;;;;;. WHEN TESTING THE ENGINE STRIPES & STARS ON WING TOP STARTED TO BLOW OFF.I SEE TRIM CUTS IN OTHER PLACES. WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER UNIT FROM RC GUYS. WHERE IS Q U A L I TY C O N T R O L?????????
Take a warm sealing iron and go over the blue trim, it'll settle back down. The cover may not seem the best, but the airframe is solid. Can't tell you how many times mine has been banged around and it flys like a WWII war bird - not much will stop it.

After all, this is a hobby, work with it and you'll be glad you overcame any short comings.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
trs3243

THIS IS A GOOD ARF,SOME IMPROVEMENTS ARE NEEDED. WARDWARE, COVERING, TRIM AS REAL BAD, PRINTED MANUEL NEEDS A LOT OF WORK. I AM HAPPY WITH THE PLANE BUT THS TRIM SUCKS. I INSTALLED A MT 35 GAS ENGINE. 14.8 LBS AUW. WILL TRY TO INCLUDE PICS.

Name:	Oz11348.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1458449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg39236.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1458450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq77477.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1458451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hg70573.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1458452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd12895.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1458453  
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM
bradleyban

Did you mount the throttle servo up front for weight or just prefrence??
Old 06-26-2010, 11:54 PM
trs3243

DUDE,I AM NOt BASHING RC GUYS OR ANY OTHERS. THE PEOPLE AT RC GUYS HAVE BEEN GOOD HELP FOR ME.I ONLY STATED WHAT I THINK ABOUT QUALITY CONTROl
TO RC GUYS ON THE PHONE AND ON RC UNIVERSE. I AM HAPPY FOR YOU AND OTHERS...QUALITY CONTROL IS STILL IN QUESTION NO MATER WHAT YOU THINK . DUDE!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 AM
R/C Addiction

I finally flew my Decathlon (with SPE-43) and it is a great flying airplane...one problem that I have is that on takeoff or landing...I have to be very careful otherwise the aircraft will "ground loop" which can be quite exciting...has anyone else had this problem? Do I need springs with more tension on the tail wheel or a direct link instead of the springs? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 AM
FlymoreRC

R/C Addition,
Glad to hear you are enjoying your SD. 

Your tail wheel springs should allow for sideway shock to be absorbed so that your wheel mounting does not get ripped off.  The wheel generally should  follow the plane's rudder.

Are you flying off of grass or hard surface.  Grass can pose some interesting conditions. 

I fly off grass.  It's mostly about the elevator & rudder control when you are doing your take off.  Do you have high/low rate type transmitter?   Use low rates, and see if some adjustments in expo for the rudder and or elevator is in order to soften you inputs.

Experience with my SD is that I need a slow then moderate runup to about 1/2  throttle holding the elevator in partial up mode to keep the tail wheel on the ground  (to reduce lateral tail movement due to main gear hitting bumps in the grass)  until I get that magic speed where I ease up on the elevator, allow the tail wheel to rise, go for 3/4 throttle and let it gain more speed (about 20 feet) then tap the elevator up to break away from the ground and off we go.  Makes for a very smooth and scale like take off.  All happens in about 50 to 60 feet.

With hard surface, things happen quicker, but same technique applys.

I have intentionally gone full throttle and and jerked if off the ground quickly to go vertical, and boy can this plane get squirrely.  Better have lots of power and control when doing this.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 AM
R/C Addiction

FlymoreRC
I appreciate the info. I do fly from grass so I guess I will have to refine my technique and try some expo.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 AM
trs3243

I MOUNTED THINGS WHERE IT WAS MOST SIMPLE AND EASY TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.THIS PLANE BALLANCED WITH ONLY BATTERY PLACEMENT .LESS THAN 15 LBS WITH FUEL.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
rcnutstoo

Hi Guy's, well the time has finally come. I have mine ready for the maiden flight tomorrow.
got some pics to show her off.

Name:	om33500.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1462211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27760.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1462212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50897.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1462213  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
bradleyban

Looks good Andy! Im still try to figure out my fuel issues. Im getting air in my system and i havn't had a chance to have a good flight on my decthlon yet. and the weather has been the pits here to and I got married so I was away for a week. I'd like to go out today but it's pretty windy today.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 AM
bradleyban

trs3243 .........................WHY YOU HAVE TO YELL ALL THE TIME..............lol
Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
trs3243

OLD HABITS ARE HARD TO BRAKE, will try to change just for YOU.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 AM
bradleyban

lol Just for me
Old 07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
rcnutstoo

Maiden went good today. No trim changes required. 3 flights all better than the next she was a big hit with the guy's at the field too.Thank you all for the help and support. If I can help anyone else just ask .
bradleyban hope you get the fuel problem sorted out, post your problem and fixes to date, lets see if we can get it sorted out!

Name:	Yv65803.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1462494  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 AM
bradleyban

Andy I pretty much have it figured out just have to keep trying it out at the feild and havn't had a chance to get out there due to weather and all the other things going on around my house.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM
rcnutstoo

Thats good to hear. I got another 3 flights on mine today. A couple of the stars are starting to peel up, but a little dab of balsarite had them glued back down just fine I glued one of the stripes on the wing yesterday and that is holding down good. I put a small dab of balsarite on with a q-tip let it dry and Iron it back down. I'm really likeing it it so far and it's different from all the Edges and Extra's. A nice slow,low knife edge arcoss the field had 'em cheering from the pit's today. People aren't used to seeing a plane that looks like a big trainer doing aerobatics It's getting alot of attention so far. Our field is in the forest preserve so we get some regular spectators too. I love the cheers and I love to talk about my planes. I'm gonna love this one, she might turn out to be my regular sunday flier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.