Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:19 AM
rccardude04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

ORIGINAL: pedrocca

I didn't check the balance of it, but the dry weight of mine is 6.8kgs (15oz) with smoke pump, 2x 7.4v 1000mAh Li-po, 1x 4.8v Ni-Mh 1000mAh and a 500mAh 7.4v Li-po for the smoke..
The manual says this engine would produce 8,5kg of thrust at sea level and 7,5kg at 1000m. I'm at 700m so even with 7,5kg thrust I am safe.

I will check the balance and report here.

Are the stock DLE-30 standoffs the correct length?

Your setup is almost identical to what I have waiting to go in mine.

I can't wait!

This is going to be a winter project so I make sure to do it right.

-Eric
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 AM
bradleyban

ORIGINAL: rccardude04

ORIGINAL: pedrocca

I didn't check the balance of it, but the dry weight of mine is 6.8kgs (15oz) with smoke pump, 2x 7.4v 1000mAh Li-po, 1x 4.8v Ni-Mh 1000mAh and a 500mAh 7.4v Li-po for the smoke..
The manual says this engine would produce 8,5kg of thrust at sea level and 7,5kg at 1000m. I'm at 700m so even with 7,5kg thrust I am safe.

I will check the balance and report here.

Are the stock DLE-30 standoffs the correct length?

Your setup is almost identical to what I have waiting to go in mine.

I can't wait!

This is going to be a winter project so I make sure to do it right.

-Eric

Hey Eric if your going to take your time and do it right don't use the stock hardward (ie the hinges the control horns). I've heard of alot of guys having them break on them in flight. I replaced my hinges with robarts and the control horns with du-bro HDcontrol horns and 4-40 control rods.

The DLE30 will be a perfect match for this plane. You'll be happy with it

Brad
Old 10-22-2010, 06:23 AM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I have just mounted my DLE 30 like pedrocca did with the stock standoffs. I didn't use nylon spacers however, just fender washers on both sides of the firewall. They allowed for the fitting the cowl without any new issues to speak of( read the entire post and you will find the engine and cowl mounting dilema). I just have to put the flying wires on the tail and it will be done. Finally!!!!!! I will post some pics when I can, hopefully this weekend.
Stangevil29

P.S. Take the advice of replacing all the hardware. Even a person with just a few planes under their belt will see that little if any of of it will cut it. Really the only part that didn't give me some kind of issue was putting the wing tube in it.[8D] The covering is still constantly trying to come off it and it has yet to even be in the sun. Even after all of this I still think its a good looking bird and if it performs in the air like I hope it will, why then I might just make it a permanent home in th garage.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM
bradleyban

My stars on the wings keep coming off but Dan at RC Guys has some tack on ones that work really good and are a perfect color match.
I'm running a saito fg-36 and it's a really good power combo for this plane.It hasthe same power as the DLE 30 so the DLE should work great in this plane.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM
rccardude04

That's good to hear. Thanks guys.

I was planning to replace most of the hardware as I went. Wasn't planning on doing the hinges but I will since you mentioned it, just for the peace of mind.

I wasn't aware of the covering being lame but I'll probably blenderm the leading edges or whatever I need to do.

This isn't going to be my shelf queen. I plan on flying this plane basically every weekend next summer. I bought a 50cc EG/Red Aero MX-2 and it's just too pretty to fly every weekend, especially since I have to leave it in the car in the hot kansas sun. The covering is starting to get rough on it after only 2 gallons. Time to really go through it and shrink everything down already. I REALLY like the big size and ease of gas though, and always wanted a decathlon, so I figured this plane would be a perfect every-weekend toy. Especially with smoke, it should be really cool.

-Eric
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
bradleyban

Its the best looking Decathlon out there IMO...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 AM
FlymoreRC

I'm looking for an opinion on the acceptable weight of my plane. Of course, it's an RC Guys Decathalon.

It's got a ZDZ40 for power, I put in TME Smoke, and running with three batteries to run the servos, ignition, and smoke. I just got around to checking the weight of this bigbird, and she's show ing up at about 19.1 lbs.

It is a big sluggish when flying, and think now that this is due to the overweight condition.

Anybody comments?

Thanks,
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM
bradleyban

I havn't weighed mine but you would think that a ZDZ 40 would haul that set-up no problem. I have a Saito FG-36 in mine but with no smoke and it flys very nice. At wide open throttle it will actually hold the plane vertical for a couple of seconds. I can pull great big loops no problem.

Did you have to add weight to the plane for balancing?? I used my batteries to acheive my balance for the plane having them just behind the servo tray.

Some pics of your set-up could help us visualize what you have.

Brad
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I have both of my batteries on the bottom of the forward servo tray. I moved the gas tank back so that it is half on the servo tray and half inside the the front end of the plane. I am using the DLE 30 and rear mounted elevator servos. I had it balanced pretty good with this set-up(no fuel). I got the order to deploy the night before gassing it up for the first time so, when I get back I'll see how it works.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

I haven't weighed mine either I have a ZDZ40 it will go straight vertical out of sight. I tow gliders with it too. I noticed my engine makes alot more power now that it is broken in.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys...I just fastened on a brand new shiney DLE 55 and I have an age old question. The only way my Decathlon will balance is with the receiver battery mounted just behind the firewall. For even better balance it could be mounted to the front firewall somewhere. Is there a danger in installing the receiver battery so close to the engine and ignition system? My ignition battery is already mounted to the gas tank just behind the firewall, so what could this possibly hurt? I'm asking this because I'm a newby to battery ignition engines so I don't want to do anything wrong.
By the way...FlymoreRC, my plane ended up weighing in at 19 lbs 3 oz., we're in the same gallaxy.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
FlymoreRC

That DLE 55 is going to pull that puppy vertical for ever.. Glad to know someone else is on the heavy side.

To reduce some weight, I'm dropping the ignition battery system, and putting inan IBEC (Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit ?). The IBEC connects to the receiver (channel 5 for me) and the ignition. The ignition gets its juice from the receiver.

I have this in a Pilot RC 26% Extra, with a Syssa 30cc engine. My flight battery in this setup is a 2700 MAh NiMh battery. I use up about 800 milli-amps after 4 flights (about 10-12) minutes each.

By doing this, I'll shed 5 oz of battery weight. My batteries (radio & smoke) are right behind the firewall. I cut / made a door in the belly just behind the firewall. The batteries are flat against the firewall (vertical to the ground). I have a 1500 amp smoke battery and may change to 600 amp to save weight (1.5oz). If it runs out of juice, I just don't get smoke - that's okay, sometimes.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
outacontrol41

I'm on the heavy side probably because of my smoke system. Metal oil pump from B&B Specialties, 32 oz. oil tank, extra plumbing...probably adds up to almost a pound. I did have a G38 in it but it was a very slow and sluggish plane...almost dangerous to fly...constantly full throttle just to keep it in the air. Also add the fact that the plane weighed 21 lbs and 11 oz.! Way over the weight limit. So I ordered a new engine and things look positive so far.
My neighbor and fellow pilot has an RC Guys Decathlon as well. No smoke system, bare bones plane with a G38. Although the plane is not what I'd call high performance, it does fly in a very scale manner and handles basic aerobatics well. His plane almost 18#. I'm starting to think there are weight difference between these planes ouut of the box. I ended up with a plane about three pounds heavier than my neighbors' just by installing a smoke system. Hard to explain that one. But I think I'm on the right track now.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
outacontrol41

BTW...
FlymoreRC,
Using the receiver battery to power the engine ignition sounds like risky business to me...hope you know what you're doing. Not sure if the weight savings is worth the risk of putting a strain on your receiver battery which operates all your control surfaces...[:-]
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
bradleyban

Wow there must be a big difference in our models. I can't get over how much weight up front you guys need. My saito is not a very heavy engine and i was on the nose heavy side. Im still a tad nose heavy but i didn't get that anal about the balance because its not performing any major 3D manuvers. If your a tad on the nose heavy side its not that big of a deal. My elevators are flat and she flys nice and level so im not to conserned about it.

Outacontrol............IMO keep the reciver on the servo tray away from the motor. It's your antenna and sevo leads that will pick up any noise from the ignitions. It may not now but in the future as things wear in it will probly have some issues. Your reciever can't weight that much to put the planes in balance? Put it right under that the CG and add a postage stamp to the front.....lol j/k. But in all seriousness keep the reciever away from the ignition.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

Wow there must be a big difference in our models. I can't get over how much weight up front you guys need. My saito is not a very heavy engine and i was on the nose heavy side. Im still a tad nose heavy but i didn't get that anal about the balance because its not performing any major 3D manuvers. If your a tad on the nose heavy side its not that big of a deal. My elevators are flat and she flys nice and level so im not to conserned about it.

Outacontrol............IMO keep the reciver on the servo tray away from the motor. It's your antenna and sevo leads that will pick up any noise from the ignitions. It may not now but in the future as things wear in it will probly have some issues. Your reciever can't weight that much to put the planes in balance? Put it right under that the CG and add a postage stamp to the front.....lol j/k. But in all seriousness keep the reciever away from the ignition.

Honestly, it's not the receiver that's in question here...it's the receiver battery...see my photos I posted. The receiver is already installed in the cabin area away from the ignition and all is well. The DLE 55 engine fired up and tested while the recever battery was mounted in the tail when it had the G38. Now I have a lighter ignition engine up front which now means I have to bring the receiver battery forward as much as possible to rebalance the plane. So, the question was...is it okay to mount the receiver battery up front on the firewall? Seems there should be no electronic interference doing this.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
FlymoreRC

OutaControl41,
Putting the battery against the firewall shouldn't cause any trouble. Mine has been there from day 1, and that was almost 2 years ago.My receiver is Futaba FASST 7 channel mounted on a cross bar which is mounted between two former uprights at the rear of the cabin area.
It's more of an issue on how far the ignition unit is from the receiver. Myignition is on the forward side of the firewall.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

BTW...
FlymoreRC,
Using the receiver battery to power the engine ignition sounds like risky business to me...hope you know what you're doing. Not sure if the weight savings is worth the risk of putting a strain on your receiver battery which operates all your control surfaces...[:-]
The IBEC will work fine with a RCExl-type ignition with relatively low current draw.

However, I would never use one with a Zenoah iginition because of their ridiculously high current draw.

With a DL ignition, a good 'neighborhood' number for current draw is about 200 mah per flight, which includes servos and ignition.

Good idea on the separate smoke battery. You never know what those puppies are up to.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 AM
bradleyban

Hahaha I saw that in the pic too and i still didn't clue in. Ohh yeah the battery there won't affect anything. Strap her down and get that thing flying and a video of corse. I wanna see that DLE tearing up the sky's

Honestly, it's not the receiver that's in question here...it's the receiver battery...see my photos I posted. The receiver is already installed in the cabin area away from the ignition and all is well. The DLE 55 engine fired up and tested while the recever battery was mounted in the tail when it had the G38. Now I have a lighter ignition engine up front which now means I have to bring the receiver battery forward as much as possible to rebalance the plane. So, the question was...is it okay to mount the receiver battery up front on the firewall? Seems there should be no electronic interference doing this.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
trs3243

I have a question about this plane on take off, my plane will run true down the runway at 25 - 50% throttle but as soon as it brakes ground it starts a slow left turn. looks good if you wanted to turn, not the case. will fly hands off after you corect angle. can any one help me? Terry
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

trs3243,

Sounds like you might be staying on the rudder a bit to long after lift off.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
outacontrol41

Finally decided to post a video we shot back in April 2010. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BT5RIQLmeM
Old 12-23-2010, 01:57 AM
bradleyban

I can't tell ya much about your take off without seeing it. Airspeed could be a factor? Are you letting the plane gain some speed before pulling up??

Outtacontrol - Looks like the g38 hauled that pretty good. The smoke system looked awsome nice thick billow of smoke out the back. I had a rough landing with mine the first time a flew mine too. I had a dead stick aswell. I think i bent my landing gear when i did it.....lol ooops!!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 AM
outacontrol41

Outtacontrol - Looks like the g38 hauled that pretty good. The smoke system looked awsome nice thick billow of smoke out the back. I had a rough landing with mine the first time a flew mine too. I had a dead stick aswell. I think i bent my landing gear when i did it.....lol ooops!!
As it says in the description, I swapped engines. It now has a DLE55 which I'm currently breaking in. The G38 flew it okay but very lazy and aerobatics were terrible....loops and rolls very sloppy. It should have plenty of power with the new engine and it was lighter ( 1 lb. ) as well. The G38 is a great engine and I highly recommend it for this model, but the added weight of 32 oz. smoke tank and hardware took it's toll on the G38 and it struggled.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 AM
bradleyban

As it says in the description, I swapped engines. It now has a DLE55 which I'm currently breaking in. The G38 flew it okay but very lazy and aerobatics were terrible....loops and rolls very sloppy. It should have plenty of power with the new engine and it was lighter ( 1 lb. ) as well. The G38 is a great engine and I highly recommend it for this model, but the added weight of 32 oz. smoke tank and hardware took it's toll on the G38 and it struggled.

The DLE55 will have no troubles with your set-up. Make sure you post a video when you get her in the air!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.