Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

I hope you all have a chance to get the newest issue of Model Airplane News......It has the Decathlon review in it.................

Its a good honest review if not a little bland.............but, the pictures are very nice..... its easy to see this is a good looking plane with some very nice features.

I had an e-mail from Dan at RCGUYS and he said the phone started to ring with orders about the time the magazine hit the news stands.

I hope some of you Decathlon owners will keep us informed as you get yours ready for flight...........I won't get a chance to work on mine till later this fall..........

Dan also said to stay tuned for the next unique airframe.......the AG WAGON is in the works and will be the focus of their development efforts now that the Decathlon has had a successful introduction.......

After looking the Decathlon over.........I know I'm going to have the AG WAGON.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JUST RECEIVED MINE TODAY. THIS IS A THING FOF BEAUTY. NICE DETAILING. SLIGHT DAMAGE TO THE COWLING. A PHONE CALL TO DAN SPEERS AT RC GUYS QUICKLY FIXED THE PROBLEM. CANT WAIT TO GET THIE BIRD IN THE AIR AND RING HER OUT!! . PBOISE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got mine assmbeled less the engine. I spent roughly 10 hours on it and its ready for engine install and its complete. Very nice ARF. I found all the hardware useable except for the elevator rods which were cross threaded. I used 4/40 replacements and that worked fine. I did add triangle stock to the gear plate and triangle stock to the elevator and rudder assembly. Looks like Ultracote Red is a close match on color but not exact. But, to the untrained eye you can not see the color difference.

The one thing that kind of concerns me is the strut attachment in th fuse. Looks like that tab might have a tendancy to break off on a hard landing. The fiberglass on this kit is really robust, nice and thick heavy material used for long term durability.

Thanks, Jerry.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK guys....
    Now you've got me hooked. Just called RC Guys and ordered mine. Should be here late this week or early next week. The engine choices I'm mulling are OS 160, ST 2300 or Saito 180. What say you all? Let the games begin!
    Al
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mobyal

OK guys....
    Now you've got me hooked. Just called RC Guys and ordered mine. Should be here late this week or early next week. The engine choices I'm mulling are OS 160, ST 2300 or Saito 180. What say you all? Let the games begin!
    Al

This plane has to have a 4 - stroke in it. It would be criminal to make it sound like a bumble bee or a chainsaw. Only the Saito will do. But according to the article in MAN an OS 200 was barely adequate, so I'm not sure how a 180 will do.
    I can only please 2 people every day and #2 just left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ordered one yesterday.

Would love any build tips or notes. This will be my first giant scale.

Any way to hide the elevator servos? Much more scale look.

Planning Saito 180 (hopefully) inverted and fully in cowl.

Comments appreciated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you will be pleased with this ARF. The elevator servo holes are covered so you do have a option of putting the servos in the cabin area where there is plenty of space in the servo tray to accomodate the servo's. The only thing I did to my bird was add additional epoxy behind firewall (as I do with all my ARF's), replaced the cheap wheels with dubro (4"), added triangel stock to gear plate, horizontal stab and vertical stab. The fiberglass, struts and gear is really top notch on this ARF. Covering was excellent. I haven't flown mine yet, if it flys as good as it looks we're in business. Good luck, Jerry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flight report on the Decathlon is excellent. I did run into a slight problem with the tailwheel binding. Investigation showed that various pieces of the tailwheel assembly were getting some friction which restricted movement in one direction. I removed the main bolt that attaches the tailwhee to the leaf spring and placed two washers between the assembly to reduce the friction. This solved the problem. This is the best ARF I've put together. I have a email into Dan to ask him about color matching the covering. Not sure what brand of covering they used but I can't seem to find a exact match. Thanks, Jerry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jbarnes

Flight report on the Decathlon is excellent. I did run into a slight problem with the tailwheel binding. Investigation showed that various pieces of the tailwheel assembly were getting some friction which restricted movement in one direction. I removed the main bolt that attaches the tailwhee to the leaf spring and placed two washers between the assembly to reduce the friction. This solved the problem. This is the best ARF I've put together. I have a email into Dan to ask him about color matching the covering. Not sure what brand of covering they used but I can't seem to find a exact match. Thanks, Jerry.

What did you use for an engine ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought it was supposed to be Ultracote.
    Smooth, like Keith Stone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fuji 43cc for motor, JR 821's for servos. Dan says the covering is Oracover and we should be able to find a matching red in Ultracote.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fuji 43cc for motor, JR 821's for servos. Dan says the covering is Oracover and we should be able to find a matching red in Ultracote.

I talked w/ Dan yesterday. He said Ultrakote. Picked up a roll of "True Red" today and it's awfully close if not exact.
    Ordered mine on Monday 7/16, delivered Friday 7/20. Started it this Monday. Have the engine, OS 1.60 2-stroke, installed; using the OS aluminum mount I had to put in a 11/16" spacer and go to a 10-32 1 1/2" bolt for the mount. Have the stab and fin mounted. and the hinge pins in the rudder and elevators. Still haven't decided whether I'll mount the elevator servos in the tail of the fuse or the cockpit area. My firewall already has triangle stock reinforcement, but I'll add it to the stab and landing gear plate. I'll use Sullivan 4" Skylite wheels in lieu of what's in the kit (which are throwaways, so far as I'm concerned). Also a Sullivan 24 oz tank in place of the kit's 19oz (550cc) tank. One question tho: I haven't mounted the wings yet, even for trial fitting, but did use the tube to align the horizontal stab. How do you all figure there's dihedral in this thing? The wing tube is perfectly straight, and fits tight into the tubes in the fuse and the wings, so where'll it come from?
    This seems to be a first-rate product so far. Everything was delivered in perfect shape, no damage at all. No wrinkles in the covering. The instructions are really clear, and the answers to any questions are only a phone call away. Thanks, Dan! LOL.
    I've got only one suggestion, which I've already passed on to Dan -- figure a way to key the horizontal stab into the fuselage. That's an awful lot of span and unsupported area to try to align the first step out of the chute and to stay on the airplane during what are bound to be some high-stress manuvers. Hence the almost-universal use of triangle stock back there. A second suggestion is applicable to ALL ARF mfrs/distributors: put a couple of square feet of covering material in each color into each box before you ship it. How much trouble/additional cost can that be?
    Hope to have it finished up next week and fly it the weekend after.
    Al

MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mobyal,

Dihedral: Even though the wing tube is straight the wing-tube-holes in the wing are made at an angle. Plug the wings into the tube without the fuse...you'll see it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And how did it balance with this engine ??????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Don M.

And how did it balance with this engine ??????
    That's what I'm wondering. I have a G62 on ignition that I'm thinking of using. Same weight a G38 on magneto.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Due to technical difficulties I cant order mine yet (accountant said no at ths time) but after watching the video in their site the plane is def under powered with the ST2300.

Anyone consider the 3mm 50cc? Same weight as some of these mid sized gassrers some have suggested but it comes wit ignition and a pitts style muffler for under $450

http://www.wildharerc.com/products/engines/index.html

Wonder if it will fit under cowl? If so once I get one ill go that route.
    Revver Bro #86

Visit RCU\'\'s E-flight Only Website: www.WattFlyer.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where is the video in their site? I'm not too much w/ the 'puter, and don't see it.
    Thanks
    I spoke w/ Dan about his initial engine choice, and he said that he started w/ the ST 2300 because he wanted to try to get the absolute lowest-cost package. He recognizes that there are better choices out there, and he wants to make an engine upgrade, or two, but just has not had the time to do it.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The reason I was asking how the Fuji 43 balanced is that R/C Guys said it balanced with a G2300 in it and in the MAN review it balance with a 35 oz. ( including muffler ) OS 200. A 50 or a G62 OMG [X(] I can't image this nice little scale plane with a loud, obnoxious G62

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I remember correctly I added 2 oz in the tail to get the balance correct. My servo's are mounted in the tail per the instructions. A G62 is way overkill for this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I remember correctly I added 2 oz in the tail to get the balance correct. My servo's are mounted in the tail per the instructions. A G62 is way overkill for this plane.
    You had to add 2oz to the tail? Where are your batteries located? My wildhare extra balanced with my G62 with my batteries for the ignition and reciever mounted at the rear of the canopy. All the servos were in the tail. I can't see the two planes being that much different. That plane flew light and seeing that the SD has about 200 square inches more of wing area, I cannot see the 62 as being overkill. Even at 17 pounds, this thing would fly light. Nothing worse than an underpowered airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I left my batteries on the cabin tray since there is no easy way to get them close to the tail. This thing is very light in the tail, I did use a wood prop and 3.5" spinner. I'm no expert by any means but that 43cc at my altitude (5K feet) is plenty. A G62 is going to be plenty of power, thats for sure. But, the firewall (IMO) will need to be reinforced for the G62. One thing is clear, the G62 would fit in the cowl with minimal hacking. Shoot some video of you hovering this thing after you get that G62 installed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I left my batteries on the cabin tray since there is no easy way to get them close to the tail. This thing is very light in the tail, I did use a wood prop and 3.5" spinner. I'm no expert by any means but that 43cc at my altitude (5K feet) is plenty. A G62 is going to be plenty of power, thats for sure. But, the firewall (IMO) will need to be reinforced for the G62. One thing is clear, the G62 would fit in the cowl with minimal hacking. Shoot some video of you hovering this thing after you get that G62 installed.
    I'm still thinking about grabbing this one. I have two 62 laying around so why not? I've really wanted one for a long time, so I should get it while I can. I'm a big bipe fan also. Ultimate or Decathlon?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm pretty happy so far. The RCGUYS.com decals on the front of the fuse come off tonight...ugly, big

Communications with the company.... so far so good.

Other more seasoned modelers here in Central IL say the covering is good for what I paid and the wood building is first rate.

I'm still thinking Saito 180. After some discussion I was advised to leave the elevator servos where they are in the interest of CG.

I do think it will build and fly well..wing chord must be 18"!

Hope it fits the car or this is going to be a VERY expensive project..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just ordered one today, need some help guys i'm a IMAC type, this is the first scale high wing plane. The first thing we like to do is overpower everything, but not this time.

Will this planes do 3D type Aerobatics(hang on prop) with a electric set-up and if so what do you recommend to use. Also who has floats that will work on this plane.

Thanks for the help. Greg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

who's flying theirs?

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast