Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Need some advice here, guys. I'm getting ready to order a spinner, and need to have a pretty good idea about prop size. I'm using an OS 1.60 2-stroke for power. First time for something that size and am wondering what you'd recommend for a prop....
Thanks
Al
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Need some advice here, guys. I'm getting ready to order a spinner, and need to have a pretty good idea about prop size. I'm using an OS 1.60 2-stroke for power. First time for something that size and am wondering what you'd recommend for a prop....
Thanks
Al
depends what you want to do with it. If it were me id go with the 18-8 or somewhere in that size. Spinner in the 3.5" class size should be fine.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

Thanks
Al
depends what you want to do with it. If it were me id go with the 18-8 or somewhere in that size. Spinner in the 3.5" class size should fine.

I second that.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

Thanks
Al
depends what you want to do with it. If it were me id go with the 18-8 or somewhere in that size. Spinner in the 3.5" class size should fine.

I second that.
Thanks you all...
I was thinking about an 18/8, and if I get one cut for that, I can always go down a little.
Al
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 AM
dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Decathlon aficionados,

I am still waiting on someone to report on flying the RC-Guys Decathlon as I need to know if I can hang a Zenoah G45 on the nose.

I am sending my Zenoah G45 to Brillelli Engines for a weight reduction tummy tuck...!!

It currently weights 5.4 Lbs in the full stock configuration...see photos without the CH Ign KIT

I am expecting it to be around 4 Lbs when it comes back......Is that possible?? I need it for my Decathlon..!

What Xoar prop is best for this motor..?

Thanks,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64493.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	733488  
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
jbarnes

I have the fuji 43 hanging on mine. Don't see why G45 wouldn't fit also.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds like maybe I wont get this plane now. Seems it's a big glow motor plane. I have a DA50 just begging to be used, but sounds like this is too much weight/motor for this plane. Even though I am not trying to 3D the thing, I just need somewhere to put the motor...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:38 PM
bonnie

Why not the Da50, little over 3lbs with mufflers that's not to much. reinforce the firewall, cut new spacers to fit cowl ( the DA is a little long with stock spacers) and use some throttle management. The G38 is way heaver then the DA and a G62 is a boat Anchor, my RCGuys Decathlon will be at my door by Tuesday and the DA50 will be pulling it with authority when needed for aerobatics and at quarter throttle for a slow Sunday flight.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Dart373

I think I will use the DA 50 after all. I got an email back from RC Guys today! They said just beef up the firewall and it should be fine. I hear the cowl will be friendly to our big single's as far as hiding it in there for that scale look...
Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: bonnie

Why not the Da50, little over 3lbs with mufflers that's not to much. reinforce the firewall, cut new spacers to fit cowl ( the DA is a little long with stock spacers) and use some throttle management. The G38 is way heaver then the DA and a G62 is a boat Anchor, my RCGuys Decathlon will be at my door by Tuesday and the DA50 will be pulling it with authority when needed for aerobatics and at quarter throttle for a slow Sunday flight.

I wouldn't want to hear the DA's midrange burble at cruising speed. Unless your lucky and have it tuned out.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Dart373

I have learned to tune out the burble... mentally that is... It's 5 times the motor that a G-62 is. I think it would be a great motor for this plane.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
sdossett

Hi all.

Update from the build.

Main gear assembly..have a good 5/32nd 10" long hex or good 1/4" socket set with tip (magnetic really helps).

Tail wheel assembly..screws provided are junk. Powder coating closes hole, pre-drill w/ 7/64 (I think).

Wheels..glad I sprung for Dubro per prior post..ones provided are throw-away.

Assembly order..I'm piecing together as I see fit. Wanted to get main gear (sans wheels and pants) on ASAP for stablility on the bench.

Engine..mounting instruct. given are pretty sketchy (I have only 4 ARF's in my history).. will proceed with MUCH CAUTION.
Saito 180 on the bench..gets minimum gallon test run for smoothing and leaning.

Later
Scott
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Dart373

sdossett , what motor are you gonna run?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
sdossett

Saito 180

Dan (I think) at RC Guys likes the 200 OS I guess..... the 180 is well in range, will fit a 120 chassis in the future and my goal is to get everything in the cowl and scale aerobatics... not prop hanging

Peace
Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Dart373

Maybe I am way off base, and truthfully, I have not seen this plane in real life. It has all of the specs of a 50cc plane. Wing loading, wingspan, fuse size and all of this glow motor talk seems grossly underpowered... Like putting an OS .46 AX in a 1.20 glow bird. It will fly it, but thats about it. I hope I am wrong, but I am planning on making this a 50cc bird that it seems like it is.... Keith
Old 08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
sdossett

This is the first big build for me... the Saito LOOKS big and the MAN article certainly showed flight and general test/aerobatic satisfaction with the OS200...think the Saito is ~.4HP smaller.....we'll see, our club has it's giant scale fly-in late this month..hope to put this bird in the air mid-next week. I'll post here.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Dart373

Good luck, she's gonna be very underpowered.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
8KCAB-inactive

I have zero experience in this size model so any advice is welcomed. I just received the SD from RC guys and I'm considering engines.
You're recommending a gas 50cc based on wing loading. Although not built yet the box says 13-15 lbs flying weight( if accurate). Does 50cc seem to fit in this range as a good choice? Plan to recover it eventually to match my full scale paint! Cant wait to see them side by side!
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Dart373

I am not trying to sell you on any particular motor, but here you go.
I have an SD Models Extra 260 airplane. I built it light, but not trying too hard to cut weight. With a Canister Muffler (longer and quiet pipe) and a 16 oz gas tank etc, she weighs right at 17 lbs. I could have gone with a shortie muffler and carbon fiber landing gear etc, and been at 15.5-16 lbs. It has an 87" wingspan and has 1290 sq inches of wing area. Their next size up, which would be a 33% Extra 260 weighs 20 lbs, and has a wingspan of 95" and an area of 1612 sq inches. This should kind of give you an idea of what size plane/motors the gas guys are using. Granted, a 50cc in the 30% mentioned above would be overkill, nothing says you have to use it! The 33% mentioned above would fly with an 80-85cc gas motor.

A DA-50R 50cc gas motor would weigh in at at 3.40 lbs with ignition. These are the best little motors ever in my opinion.$599
A Saito 2.20 (bare minimum for this plane in my eyes) would weigh in at around 2.8 lbs with muffler and mount,etc. =$499

The gas motor will have a greater resell if you decide later to sell it. DA's barely even drop in value over new. email me if you have any questions. Keith
[email protected]
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Dart373

This is the same price as a new Saito 2.20, and it comes with a prop too. Just trying to stir the pot a little guys. Not saying pro this or pro that..
Do a search on some of the other sites for a used DA 50R.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:39 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: Dart373

Maybe I am way off base, and truthfully, I have not seen this plane in real life. It has all of the specs of a 50cc plane. Wing loading, wingspan, fuse size and all of this glow motor talk seems grossly underpowered... Like putting an OS .46 AX in a 1.20 glow bird. It will fly it, but thats about it. I hope I am wrong, but I am planning on making this a 50cc bird that it seems like it is.... Keith
Exactly.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
mobyal

I'm using an OS 1.60fx in mine. Should be plenty -- 3.7hp -- for what I want it to do. Hope so, anyway....
I am a bit concerned that I'll have to add some nose weight. Lot of stuff back there in the tail area, servos, flying wires, triangle stock reinforcemen, and I'm figuring the OS aluminum mount, engine and muffler at around 42-45 oz.
We'll see how it goes.
Looking forward to some flight reports on here.
Al
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Dart373

I'm using an OS 1.60fx in mine. Should be plenty -- 3.7hp -- for what I want it to do. Hope so, anyway....
I am a bit concerned that I'll have to add some nose weight. Lot of stuff back there in the tail area, servos, flying wires, triangle stock reinforcemen, and I'm figuring the OS aluminum mount, engine and muffler at around 42-45 oz.
We'll see how it goes.
Al

Really? I think a lot of scale flyers are not reading the book, but just the cover. RCGUYS have done their homework and this seems like the best Decath made yet for modelers. It has the sq inches and the wingspan/weight of a 33% airplane guys. A 1.60 will fly it , but think about it. Theory says that an 80cc motor should fly this plane in the 3D world. In scale world, a Zenoah 26? In reality, a 45-50 cc motor. I am so proud of the guys at RC Guys for making a way cool plane first off. However, look at their specs.... A .90 2 stroke to a 40cc gasser. Folks, wake up a little, that is 14.912 cc's of glow 2 stroke to 40 cc's of 2 stroke gas. Do the math. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just want to make it clear to folks out there as to how big this plane really is! Happy trails and great luck guys. It will be a fantastic plane.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: Dart373

We'll see how it goes.
Al

Really? I think a lot of scale flyers are not reading the book, but just the cover. RCGUYS have done their homework and this seems like the best Decath made yet for modelers. It has the sq inches and the wingspan/weight of a 33% airplane guys. A 1.60 will fly it , but think about it. Theory says that an 80cc motor should fly this plane in the 3D world. In scale world, a Zenoah 26? In reality, a 45-50 cc motor. I am so proud of the guys at RC Guys for making a way cool plane first off. However, look at their specs.... A .90 2 stroke to a 40cc gasser. Folks, wake up a little, that is 14.912 cc's of glow 2 stroke to 40 cc's of 2 stroke gas. Do the math. I am not trying to be a jerk, I just want to make it clear to folks out there as to how big this plane really is! Happy trails and great luck guys. It will be a fantastic plane.
I know a guy that had the 1.60 in the Hangar 9 Taylorcraft. Flew that plane excellent. About the size of the plane, I'm right with you. Look at the pics in MAN when they are assembling the wings on the bench. That thing has a huge chord.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Dart373

Seriously, don't be overtaken by this plane. It is a 1/4 scale Aerobat! It needs some motor, not to mention servo size can't be Futaba 3004's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.