Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1787

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

sympathy? not sure what that is. my guess would be it's a brand of sewing machine. got my aileron servo in last night. i had to shave the blocks on the plates so they would fit.
    ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Ahh, you were playing on our sympathy!

Very bad boy. lol

If you're all having fun, a no mercy rule is just more fun. Sounds like a fun bunch of guys.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim,

I will wrap up the recievers in foam, great catch. I usually just rubberband foam arounf the recievers on install.

Paul
    Wonder Rather Than Doubt, Is The Root Of All Knowledge.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #20
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great, Paul. Just wait until you have everything completed and re-bind it again before doing that, so the foam won't be in the way. That's important if you're binding directly at the RX, like I often do when working on a new model.

~ Jim~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as i continue the assembly of this model i see just how cheap of a kit it is. everything thing in it is of low quality right down to the balsa. i'm just going to slap the rest of it together as it's realy not worth the extra effort. rc guys realy blew it with this turd.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

I think by filling the ends of the struts with JB weld and re-drilling the holes helped. The struts tighten down now without distorting the end of the strut.

Crash, as far as the hardware for this kit, or any ARF that not made by Aeroworks, I generally replace most of the hardware with Dubro or the like. As for the balsa, I have yet to have a problem. However, my kit is several years older to begin with as I had it on my build table for quite awhile now.

If you have major problems with the kit, maybe email Dan Speers at RC Guys, he is very responsive and very committed to customer service/technical support regarding their products.

Paul
    Wonder Rather Than Doubt, Is The Root Of All Knowledge.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #20
    P51 Mustang Brotherhood #30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks, i've strengthened the stringers with small basswood stock. i always buy good hardware and never install the stock ones. i just find the quality of this whole kit lacking.
    ORIGINAL: WI53072

Guys,

I think by filling the ends of the struts with JB weld and re-drilling the holes helped. The struts tighten down now without distorting the end of the strut.

Crash, as far as the hardware for this kit, or any ARF that not made by Aeroworks, I generally replace most of the hardware with Dubro or the like. As for the balsa, I have yet to have a problem. However, my kit is several years older to begin with as I had it on my build table for quite awhile now.

If you have major problems with the kit, maybe email Dan Speers at RC Guys, he is very responsive and very committed to customer service/technical support regarding their products.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well fellow Decathlon builders and fliers, I read most of the posts here and decided I needed one of these in my collection. My wife thinks I have gone over the edge as I have the Dynaflite version on hold for painting till spring. COPD, a basment that has insulated windows for winter, and the paint fume smell would do me no good. Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow and the DLE35 will arrive about the same time. Because of Sandy the engine was held up in the Shrewsbury, MA., UPS facility for a couple days. I've got to keep busy at my age (71) and planes have been my life since i was 17. Twenty-one years working on them in the Air Force and modelling since '65 kinda sticks in you system. I'll probably take my time on this one-yea...right! This is about the only time of year I wish I was back in Florida as it's getting to cold and dismal to be flying in northern Maine for me. Time to build up the fleet.
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mines almost done. there are some issues but all are fixable. my dl50 hid well in the cowl. i just have to bend new strut supports for the wings and it's done.
    ORIGINAL: smithfj

Well fellow Decathlon builders and fliers, I read most of the posts here and decided I needed one of these in my collection. My wife thinks I have gone over the edge as I have the Dynaflite version on hold for painting till spring. COPD, a basment that has insulated windows for winter, and the paint fume smell would do me no good. Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow and the DLE35 will arrive about the same time. Because of Sandy the engine was held up in the Shrewsbury, MA., UPS facility for a couple days. I've got to keep busy at my age (71) and planes have been my life since i was 17. Twenty-one years working on them in the Air Force and modelling since '65 kinda sticks in you system. I'll probably take my time on this one-yea...right! This is about the only time of year I wish I was back in Florida as it's getting to cold and dismal to be flying in northern Maine for me. Time to build up the fleet.
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well mines done. gonna maiden on friday. over all this arf leaves much to be desired for a model that's been out for a few years. this one has pushed me to go back to  scratch building from plans. the final straw was the missing blind nuts for the wing struts. to many bads from covering to hardware to down right third grade balsa and ply.  sorry guys but if we keep letting them get away with it, it will just get worse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

maiden done. it flies great. pain in the ass from assembly gone. the dl50 pulled it like a monster. mounted on floats and pulling aglider on floats should be no problem with this setup. however, the idiots on the tx's is another story.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,"
    A couple of days ago, I posted a question in "Giants" asking for suggestions for a "sport" plane in the 30 - 35cc range. Then, the RC Guys Decathelon came to my attention. I have a couple of questions on this and it looks like this is just the forum.

Background:
    I have a new-in-box DL 50 that I was going to put into a new-in-box Lanier Extra 330, 87". I've since decided that this combo is not for me. I was planning to sell both and find the "sport" model I was looking for, hence the Decathelon. I also have a GP Giant Supersportster with a Fuji 32ei, (I hate this engine!).

My questions:
    1) Is the DL 50 suitable for the Decathelon, or should I sell it and maybe insatall a DLE 35RA?

2) How is the overall quality of the RC Guys Decathelon? It seems a very reasonable price compared to others in the class, (Pilot, Hempler), and I understand that it's not perfect, (some covering issues), but is it basically OK?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i've got thedl50 in mine and itfits fine just stregthen the fire wall from inside. if using the stock cannister muffler be careful were you put the bottom left cowl block or the cannister will hit and you have to cut a little bit of the cowl in front of the cannister other then that it's a great fit under the cowl. i like lots of back up power and the dl50 gives me just that. 2 clicks of right aileron for trim on the maiden was all i needed for hands off flight. it does fly realy well.i wouldn't like this model with anything smaller then the 50in it. i did some *****ing about quality but after i flew it i was pleased with the model. just use good hardware for the flight surfaces as the trumpet horns truly suck. overall for the price it's not bad and realy looks a lot better in person then any picture of it. hope this helped.
    ORIGINAL: CB36

Hi all,"
    A couple of days ago, I posted a question in "Giants" asking for suggestions for a "sport" plane in the 30 - 35cc range. Then, the RC Guys Decathelon came to my attention. I have a couple of questions on this and it looks like this is just the forum.

Background:
    I have a new-in-box DL 50 that I was going to put into a new-in-box Lanier Extra 330, 87". I've since decided that this combo is not for me. I was planning to sell both and find the "sport" model I was looking for, hence the Decathelon. I also have a GP Giant Supersportster with a Fuji 32ei, (I hate this engine!).

My questions:
    1) Is the DL 50 suitable for the Decathelon, or should I sell it and maybe insatall a DLE 35RA?

2) How is the overall quality of the RC Guys Decathelon? It seems a very reasonable price compared to others in the class, (Pilot, Hempler), and I understand that it's not perfect, (some covering issues), but is it basically OK?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I just ordered my SD. A couple of questions, ( I'm sure ill have more along the build!):

Has anyone used one elevator servo, mounted forward in the fuse?

Which size Robart Hinge Points do I need?

What control horns?

Any reason I can't use Futaba 3305 servos, (99 oz @ 4.8v)?

I'm going to use the DLE 35RA.

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the hinges that come stock are pretty good. i used heavy duty dubro conrtol horns and pull pull rudder setup in mine. your servo choice is fine for this setup as well. the dl50 is way more motor then this model needs so your 35 choice will still be good. i just like overpowering my toys, it adds to the mayhem we so love at our club.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guy's it's been a while since i have been here and posted. Welcome to the newbies!!! I'm sure you will find N98SD both a challenge and a treat.
    I enjoyed the challenge of assembly Most of my hardware was replaced with Du-Bro heavy duty sets. Robart 3/16" hinges were used throughout. If I was to do it again I would probably use 1/8" hinges. Yes the covering is lacking a good adhesive, and there are a few things that need to be addressed. All in all this is a great value. In the air it is a pleasure to fly. Very aerobatic for the seasoned pilot, yet my son who has almost no R/C experience had no trouble making circuits over the field with it. It inspired him to spend more time flying with his Dad. That my friends was worth more than what I paid for the plane. Everything you will need to know to about assembly, or mods to make it safe and reliable can be found by reading this thread. I have had mine for three years and still enjoy flying it. I have had some small issues as most of us have, that is the challenging part. The reward is when I get on the sticks and "wow" the crowd with it's aerbobatic prowess.
    crashgoodly, glad you got her done and in the air I'm sure she will impress you, and the folks in the club with that 50 on the nose.
    cb36, glad you pulled the trigger on this one. Study the thread, put her together right and she will make you happy for years to come. sounds like you have picked out a pretty good set up. I believe there are a couple guy's who have put on DLE 30's with good results. The 35 should give great performance. I powered mine with a ZDZ40 and have been greatly pleased. It's light and powerful, I have a glider tow release on it too it does a great job as a glider tug.
    By the way If you saw the ZDZ40 mounted to the nose on RC GUY'S website, that is mine. I'm so proud of her she got her 15 minutes of fame
    Happy Landings....... Andy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all.

To the new fellow. The thread has good ideas. I second rcnutstoo on his notes. I've had to beef up the top "skylight"balsa. Replaced the wing strut tabs at the fuse with a solid "through" bar of 1/8th by 1/2 aluminum. Couple of crashes. Tail follows the wind pretty easily,so be careful on crosswind take offs early on...Pretty easy rebuilds. Mine has Saito 180 put-put power, just fine for me. Your 35 gas will power SMOKE SYSTEM!!!! I may never get the fit I want on the cabin door...half the time I just leave the skylight off. Best tail slidin',stall turning plane I have...it's just big and beautiful. Guys who've seen it for years still tell me how swell it looks.....

anyway..good luck

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the 50 lifts it off the ground just by burping the throttle. i got clear re-useble sticker stock from staples and covered all the stars. this way they don't keep peeling. it is a great looking and flying model. it will hover with the 50.
    ORIGINAL: rcnutstoo

Hey guy's it's been a while since i have been here and posted. Welcome to the newbies!!! I'm sure you will find N98SD both a challenge and a treat.
    I enjoyed the challenge of assembly Most of my hardware was replaced with Du-Bro heavy duty sets. Robart 3/16" hinges were used throughout. If I was to do it again I would probably use 1/8" hinges. Yes the covering is lacking a good adhesive, and there are a few things that need to be addressed. All in all this is a great value. In the air it is a pleasure to fly. Very aerobatic for the seasoned pilot, yet my son who has almost no R/C experience had no trouble making circuits over the field with it. It inspired him to spend more time flying with his Dad. That my friends was worth more than what I paid for the plane. Everything you will need to know to about assembly, or mods to make it safe and reliable can be found by reading this thread. I have had mine for three years and still enjoy flying it. I have had some small issues as most of us have, that is the challenging part. The reward is when I get on the sticks and "wow" the crowd with it's aerbobatic prowess.
    crashgoodly, glad you got her done and in the air I'm sure she will impress you, and the folks in the club with that 50 on the nose.
    cb36, glad you pulled the trigger on this one. Study the thread, put her together right and she will make you happy for years to come. sounds like you have picked out a pretty good set up. I believe there are a couple guy's who have put on DLE 30's with good results. The 35 should give great performance. I powered mine with a ZDZ40 and have been greatly pleased. It's light and powerful, I have a glider tow release on it too it does a great job as a glider tug.
    By the way If you saw the ZDZ40 mounted to the nose on RC GUY'S website, that is mine. I'm so proud of her she got her 15 minutes of fame

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do you all suggest for the elevator servo, single, (w/ele joiner), or two servos?

Also, since my DLE 35RA weighs <3lbs, should I take the manual's advice and mount the servo in the tray in the fuse? I guess if this is the case, I'll be using one servo anyway.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dual servos for the elv. even with the 35 it will balance out well. there is lots of room to move the batteries around for balance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CB 36
    Rectangle holes in the area front of the stab will accept most hi-torque standard size servos...enough room so no pesky reverser needed. I built my system out of threaded 4/40 rod and ~1/4 carbon fiber tube..easy to build and brick wall strong.
    Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

servo reverser's are not need. you program the tx for L/R elv servos. just about every 7 and up channeltx has the progamming in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i am getting rid of my sup decathl;on.  i have had over 10 flights, and the plane has had all the stripes blown off, and some of the "whote sunburst" has flown off as well.

the craftsmanship of this plane is to be desired.  also, in the stabs, where the pinned hinges are, the balsa is so thin, it has resulted in a stress riser, and both elevators are snapped in these locations.  very poor design.
    AMA # 982277
    3DHS Extra 330 SC 119" DA 170
    Bill Hempel Yak 40% DA 170
    Extreme Flight Extra 300 91" DA 60 MTW RE2
    Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle Cap DA 120
    Extreme FLight Extra 300 78" DA35 (Soon)
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50
    GP Revolver 70 Saito FA1.25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sold her today for 100 dollars.  the person who bought it will reinforce everything, and possibly, he will recover the airplane.  signing out for now.
    AMA # 982277
    3DHS Extra 330 SC 119" DA 170
    Bill Hempel Yak 40% DA 170
    Extreme Flight Extra 300 91" DA 60 MTW RE2
    Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle Cap DA 120
    Extreme FLight Extra 300 78" DA35 (Soon)
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50
    GP Revolver 70 Saito FA1.25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just started my build. It's been in the box for a few months while I finished up some other projects.

I am pretty disappointed in the covering. The stars and stripes are falling off the tail. I tried to iron them back and they wont stick. I dont think they will last long. Wondering if I should stop now and recover this thing. I think thats the only way it is going to last long term. mmmmm 
    Fleet Brotherhood #27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Probably best as the covering is trash.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73