Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

The gap i was referring to is the space at the bottom of the rudder fin where it meets the elevator to be glued. The hinge gaps are not a big concern to me, but will seal the surfaces, it's what i do to all my large planes. I'm looking at using larger hinges to fill the over sized holes, maybe it no big deal, but for a few dollars it's worth it to me.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great kit, the workmanship is outstanding and the RCGuys are great people to work with. If anyone is looking for a large airplane that looks great, will fly even better and priced right this is the one.

Greg Young.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Build update

- the black plastic clevis's (which screw onto the trumpets) ARE NOT THREADED for the bronze colored rod that must go in them...drilled 5/64th hole and used one of the bronze thingees to tap..thinking about doing some Dubro shopping here..

- was surprised (wasn't the first time that the 1/4 scale servo I purchased for the rudder pull-pull system will not fit the hole in the fuse....don't know whether to go with the S3010 or start carving out the space where the S fits and the 1/4 don't

-suggestions? The Futaba S3010's are rated at 72oz in I think...enough for rudder?

Peace

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm running the JR821 which are almost identical to the 3010's you have. I've used those 3010's in several of my planes and just recently switched to JR digitals. My rudder has a single 821 but I'm not doing any of this 3D stuff or running the plane into the air like I would my Yak.
    Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association
    Longmont, CO visit our site at www.lamarcclub.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My full scale has aileron gap seals, but more importantly it has aileron spades too. Both are to make for a better roll rate. How do you seal the gaps on this model and make it look right? Also any advice on different control rods (Sullivan Golden Rods) for this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Build update here, too....

Have the radio installed but not yet set up. Put the elevator servos in the tail as shown, Y harness and 18" extension. JR ST126mg servos, 4-cell 4.8 volt 1500mHr battery, scan receiver. All linkages, clevises 4-40 rather than those supplied. Built a mount just inside the door for the switch/charger in the cockpit area, and mounted the receiver and battery on the tray in the cockpit.

Engine is OS 1.60 fx w/ the OS aluminum mount. Needed 11/16 spacer behind the mount. Truturn 3/12" "Ultimate" spinner and I'll start w/ an 18x8 prop. Slimline Pitts-style muffler. I couldn't figure out how to mount the tank per the instructions so replaced the supplied 19oz tank w/ a 24oz Dubro and built a box from 3/16 and 1/8 ply, used cup hooks and rubber bands to hold the foam-wrapped tank in place and expoied the box in place on the tank floor. Kind of a pita, but I couldn't figure out any other way to hold the tank firmly in place. Plus figure I'm gonna need nose weight anyway.

Gear mounted. Threw away the kit-supplied "wheels", and using Sullivan 4"x1 3/8" Skylites w/ aluminum hubs. Installing the wheels and wheel pants will be about the last step, just so the thing'll be easier to move around. My stand broke one of the bottom stringers just behind the sheeting so I had to cut away the covering and repair, then recover. Be careful around there. It's awfully fragile.

Left to do? Set up the radio, glue on the door -- it's gonna need some fiddling to get it to fit and latch right -- glue in the windows, install wheels ands wheel pants, balance, charge the batteries, then go fly! Probably'll maiden it next weekend.

I've really enjoyed putting this one together, and I think RC Guys did a really good job with it.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oops. Sorry. Forgot that I also need to add the flying wires on the tail and install the wing struts, too.
    The instructions don't say to do so, but I plan to lightly epoxy the wing tube into the fuse. Good idea, you think? I don't see a down side and it'll sure make it easier when mounting/demounting the wings, seems to me.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mobyal

I don't see a downside to epoxying the wing tube in.. I was fighting with it a bit while test fitting the wings last night.

I decided to convert all trumpet hardware to Dubro giant scale stuff. That was one days progress. (little time to build)

My door seems a little warped and I figure will take some fiddling also.

Planning on running in the Saito 180 today and continuing on rest. I'm a little vague on the flying wires for tail feathers..hopefully the instructions (which we know are not very detailed) will pull me through.

Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys for keeping us clued on how you're coming........I still have mine in the box and won't get a chance to start on it till this winter................but I sure do enjoy reading about your progress and the tips you pass on.........

I e-mailed RCGUYS on some Ag Wagon stuff this morning and got a reply from Dan Speers..........they are all but out of Decathlons.......less than 10 left I think........it has been a fantastic success............so, they will be starting to take pre-orders on the next shipment............and that container will probably be a mixture of Decathlons and Ag Wagons...........

With these kinds of quality planes from RCGUYS I have to believe we've found a real winning supplier.................and they're starting a great dealer net work..........I was zooming around on Chief Aircraft's web site the other night and what should I find.......the Decathlon..........Chief is a great place to shop giant scale.........they only carry good stuff...........just like us......they saw the Decathlon and decided it was a winner.............wait till they see the Ag Wagon...........it is sweet.........I'll try to post some new pictures I have on the Ag Wagon thread tomorrow......it's worth taking a look.
    Oh, by the way, check out Chief for the best prices on G-45's and G-62's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK guys --
    Take a look at this and let me know what you think.
    The engine/prop shaft is dead on the thrust line top to bottom and left to right. But as you can see from the photos, the coel -- or more accurately the paint/trim on the cowl --doesn't come close to lining up. The first set of photos has the trim on the left side lined up, though the trim on the right side is slightly off and won't line up correctly, and you can see how far off the cowl/spinner match is. .
    The second set is w/ the cowl/spinner lined up, and you can see how far the trim is off on both sides.
    So. What do I do? Anyone else have this issue, or did I screw something up? Remounting the engine isn't an option because of the spacers already installed, and as I said, it's dead on the thrust line now. Line up the trim as close as I can? Or line up the cowl/spinner and have a droop snoot? Or split the difference? Suggestions appreciated.
    By the way, if you haven't yet gotten to mounting your wheel pants, my mounting plates and thus mounting points were off by almost 3/8" inch from one pant to the other. Plus when I drilled a mounting hole, the ply plate popped off. At that point I decided to quit for the day! LOL. I think I've figured out what to do there, but it'll require making a paie of new ply plates ans glassing and epoxying them in....
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36494.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	746830  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry. Couldn't load the set.

Name:	Wu60702.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	746834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69195.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	746835  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and the last ones....

Name:	Vt57527.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	746836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cy77237.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	746837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In28203.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	746838  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The instructions say to "offset your engine so the center of the prop shaft (at the prop) lines up with the center lines on the firewall"

Sounds like you basically have the engine backplate centered on the lines and the right thrust and down thrust built into the firewall is effectively offsetting the front of the engine ?

Maybe ?

This is good to sort out as I still need to mount my engine....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I know....
    The center of the propshaft does line up w/ the center lines on the firewall -- which you draw on there yourself....
    I think the real problem may be that the cowl isn't painted/trimmed properly.
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

10-4....that seems reasonable based on the pics. When you line up the cowl to the spinner backplate so it appears correct (post #211) is the cowl evenly positioned about the edge of the firewall or is it out of whack (other than the paint) ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's hard to make a diagnosis from pictures, but if the right- and downthrust are built into the firewall then it appears the engine mount might need to be moved up a skosh. I remember looking at the photos in the MAN review and noting (for future reference) how high that OS 200 was mounted on the firewall.

BTW, I forgot to note... is the wing airfoil symmetrical or semi-symmetrical?
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine did not line up the first time either. The basic problem is that they don't have the thrust lines on the firewall so you can take your engine template and line it up and drill the mounting holes. Mine had to be moved up about a 1/4" to get the cowl to look right. They could have saved us alot of grief by putting the thrust lines on the firewall. Good luck, Jerry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jerry,

After you moved yours did the thrust lines, prop shaft, and cowling trim lines all line up properly ?

Thanks, Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No they are off. I think what has happened here is that whatever they do for alignment prior to painting is slightly off or we are not understanding how to mount the motors. Again, the easy solution is to have the thrust lines on the firewall that were used as the template when painting the cowl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jbarnes

No they are off. I think what has happened here is that whatever they do for alignment prior to painting is slightly off or we are not understanding how to mount the motors. Again, the easy solution is to have the thrust lines on the firewall that were used as the template when painting the cowl.

Yep.
    If I moved the engine high enough to center the propshaft in the cowl opening when the trim's lined up, the propshaft'd be at least a half inch above the center of the opening in the firewall, which is supposed to be the center of the thrustline as well. At least as I read the instructions. Plus I'd probably have to cut away some of the top of the cowl to clear engine/mount parts. And imagine what that'd do under full throttle!
    You're right, Jerry. They could have saved us a lot of trouble if they's just put the lines on the firewall to begin with. Plus, as I said earlier, I think the trim lines on the cowls as supplied are off anyway. Leaving aside the fore-aft misalignment, mine are off on either side as well. If you line 'em up on one side, they're off on the other. By the way, look carefully at the one in the MAN review; the trim doesn't line up on that one either. I think what I'm gonna do is split the difference and say to hell with it.
    By the way, did I mention that my wheel pants are off by 3/8" from side to side too?
    Al
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TALKED WITH DAN SPEERS TODAY CONCERNING THE COWLING ALIGNMENT. I HAVE THE ANSWER IF SOMEBODY WILL SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, I WILL FORWARD IT TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST IT ON RC UNIVERSE THANKS SCOTT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

I sent you a PM .

email = fisher1648@hotmail.com

Thanks, Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bjboise406

TALKED WITH DAN SPEERS TODAY CONCERNING THE COWLING ALIGNMENT. I HAVE THE ANSWER IF SOMEBODY WILL SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS, I WILL FORWARD IT TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST IT ON RC UNIVERSE THANKS SCOTT
    Attached (I hope) are the pics Scott got from Dan at RC Guys re the Decathelon cowl. Looks like it might work, and I sure never would have figured it out for myself. I'll leave it to Scott to add as necessary.....
    Al

Name:	Ay73725.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	747560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk31213.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	747561  
    MobyAl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting, I can see where this might do the trick. I'll check this out this weekend. Would still seem to me that the trim lines won't be straight still. But what the heck, guess thats what we get for buying the first batch. Still a great flying machine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all.

Maiden flight this AM.
    Winds at 10-14 with a bit of a cross, so I did 2 flights and brought it home for inspection.

Initial thoughts:
    - found right aileron clevis loosening..need to lengthen the 4-40 wire (probably re-solder a threaded coupler on) WATCH SURFACE CONTROLS..... this thing is big
    - Saito 180 pulls the plane VERY well
    - this plane flys like the Cubs I've flown with 25% or so more power MUCH lift out of this wing... take off roll <75 feet at 3/4 throttle
    - did not get into aero w/ exception of one loop..my policy is to fly, shake down, fix/retighten,refly, I ended up loosing the right aileron on the final approach as it was
    - I am SO GLAD I did not glue on the top canopy..it is the BEST access you have into the plane, 4 cowl screws work great..also screwed the front windshield in..that opening may come in handy
    - I am glad I did not epoxy the wing tube on.. makes it easier to handle and the wings really do go on well enough in the field (the struts clear the fuse. 100% of the time as you attach the wings) and they sort of let the wings flop as you attach them
    - after installing the wheels the plane WILL set with one wing on and not tip.. NOTE: 4" Dubro wheels
    -this plane likes to stay in the air..good low idle required

I too had problems getting a good fit on the cowl: I test fitted the saito w/ mount and cowl for a good two hours before I got a good position on them...my main problem is that the spinner is off center the cowl..looks OK, biased it to look best from the side...maybe inverting the Saito made it harder for myself

All-in-all it was a great morning and I think this will be a great plane.. there for sure were a couple of gasps and shouts when it went into the air the first time..pretty impressive.

The manual could be written much better generally. I had JUST enough under my belt to get it together. This is not a second or third time ARF.

Peace
    Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Firstly I would like to congratulate RCGUYS on bringing this great ARF to the market place. I bought mine at the Joe Noll and I know it will be a winner at our filed when I get it finished soon.

I have to agree that the manual is not very complete. Yes it is better than the standard Chineese manuals ...pictures only, but a far cry from Great planes manuals etc...!!

I have had to replace the wheels doe 4" Dubro Lights. I also had trouble aligning the main gear bolts to the predrilled holes. I added tri-stock to the firewall for my gasoline 45cc engine which weighs a total of 3.5 Lbs. I also added tri-stock to the tail feathers. I intend to 4-40 rod braces to the tail feathers instead of the flying wires

I used baby powder Talc on the wing tube and it slides on and off the wings very easily. Mt servos are Hitec 645 MGs on Rudder,Elevator,and Ailerons. I have a futaba Digital for the engine and will use manual choke.

My main conern now is mounting the Venom 45 cc Motor. I received the motor yesterday and immediatly set about installing it on the firewall. Having drawn the centering lines on the firewall I then spent 2 hrs measuring and measuring until I was sure I had the correct alignment position. I drilled the 4 x bolt holes and mounted the engine.
    I soon discovered that the blue stripes on the cowl were out of alighment if I mounted the engine on the trust lines.[&o]

Since the engine is already mounted very high on the firewall I think that to move it higher will mean the cowl would not fit correctly on the top side, just as Al (Mobyal) has also pointed out.[X(]

I guess I will have to live with an off center cowl for now or wait until RCGUYS bring out a fix for this problem.[sm=drowning.gif]

Judging from the recent info from others we can certainly see a trend here regarding the engine position and cowl alignment.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I wonder if RGGUYS have a redesigned cowl that allows mount the engine on the trust line and also centers correctly in the cowl..??[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I will post pics of my delimma tomorrow when there is better light in my garage.

It would be very intersting for all if each of us would post pics of our engine installation showing the firewall mounting points and how it looks with the cowl alighned.

Scctt..........great report on your first flights and tips on gaining access through the skylight. I will also not epoxy my wing tube into the fuse.........please keep the posts coming as you progress with your trials.

By the way ...where was the balance point ( CG )..........did you need to add up elevator..? Can anybody else chime in and supply CG data..!

Thanks,

Martin

Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast