Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ryan STA question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Great Planes Ryan STA question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Ryan STA question

I make a custom set that includes AMA, or any other numbers, for the wing and fin registration numbers.

Really dresses up the Ryan.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Ryan STA question

Thanks Didg. I'll send Doug a note with your comments about the Laser.

I agree, Dick's STA is a beaut--I originally wanted the civilian version of the STA but it had already been discontinued. Flew my STA-M this weekend- We had wonderful weather--82F (thats 28C for you Didg) and light winds. I always get a lot of compliments on this plane. Really looks nice in the air.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this thread is LONG dead, but I need to make some repairs to my STA, and I need checked covering (or else I have to cut and stick LOTS of black squares...). I've looked around, but I can't find anyone making it with 70mm squares like the wing bottoms came covered with. Anyone know of a source? If not, I'll have to strip the whole thing and start over with 2" or 4" checked Ultracote, neither of which will look as good...
Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 PM
RickVB

OK, not that anyone was paying attention, but never mind... I realized that the black squares on the stock covering are separately applied, so I guess I'll have to do the same.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 PM
RickVB

To put a final point on this thread (against the day when GP brings this ARF back), I have been flying mine with an OS FS-91 Surpass (original version) for just about a year now, probably 50 flights. I have had exactly the same experience as Jim Widner had with the prototype model; it flies perfectly well with this level of power. It does not do 3-D, and if you constantly require too much motor to get you out of trouble, then I guess you would want to go bigger. But any reasonably proficient pilot will find this combination entirely satisfactory.

Oh, and by the way, with the stock tank (about 12oz I'd guess), I'm able to set my flight alarm for 15 minutes, and I have never come close to running out...

Last edited by RickVB; 05-20-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 PM
TangoBravo

How does the old GP Ryan compare with the Tower/Phoenix ARF available today. Wingspan, weight and engine size?

Tom
Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 PM
TangoBravo

How does the old GP Ryan compare with the Tower/Phoenix ARF available today. Wingspan, weight and engine size? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXETVD&P=0

And how do I delete a post?

Tom

Last edited by TangoBravo; 05-25-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Dick T.

Originally Posted by TangoBravo
How does the old GP Ryan compare with the Tower/Phoenix ARF available today. Wingspan, weight and engine size?

Tom
The Phoenix Ryan is slightly smaller then the original GP, 70" vs 80" wingspan. The lines are good but the scale rendition of Gosney's ful scale Ryan is so-so.

To make it look more like Gosney's and the GP version I redid the black striping on wings and tail plus modified the fuse stripe. I wanted it to look more like my earlier GP version so I ordered 2" (50mm) black/white checker covering from Hobby King for the wing bottom and the smaller checker version for the stab. I extended the red (Monokote Dark Red is a close match) on the fin onto the rudder. The wheel pant upper skirts were repainted as well as the lower part of the pant. Black teardrop stripe was added. I still had the decal art from my original so scaled it down and cut or printed the markings and AMA number as the NC number. The bottom of the fuse should be red but I chose to leave it rather than recover.

Using a Hobby People .91 sized outrunner coupled to their 80A ESC, 6S 3200 LiPo. Have not flown yet as I want to open up fuse bottom inside cowl for ESC cooling as bench runs have it heating up more than I like. Will make a cooling exit on the fuse bottom in front of the wing.

Overall quality is very good and assembly pretty smooth with the usual adjustments to any ARF. Wheel pants/skirts were a pain just like the original GP but patience gets them done. Weight with LiPo about 10 pounds. If I did another I would go with glo 4-stroke or small gasser. Fuse and cowl are better suited to those engines as cooling for electric components is restrictive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Ryan 1.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2164300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix Ryan 2.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2164301  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:19 PM
TangoBravo

Originally Posted by Dick T.
The Phoenix Ryan is slightly smaller then the original GP, 70" vs 80" wingspan. The lines are good but the scale rendition of Gosney's ful scale Ryan is so-so.

To make it look more like Gosney's and the GP version I redid the black striping on wings and tail plus modified the fuse stripe. I wanted it to look more like my earlier GP version so I ordered 2" (50mm) black/white checker covering from Hobby King for the wing bottom and the smaller checker version for the stab. I extended the red (Monokote Dark Red is a close match) on the fin onto the rudder. The wheel pant upper skirts were repainted as well as the lower part of the pant. Black teardrop stripe was added. I still had the decal art from my original so scaled it down and cut or printed the markings and AMA number as the NC number. The bottom of the fuse should be red but I chose to leave it rather than recover.

Using a Hobby People .91 sized outrunner coupled to their 80A ESC, 6S 3200 LiPo. Have not flown yet as I want to open up fuse bottom inside cowl for ESC cooling as bench runs have it heating up more than I like. Will make a cooling exit on the fuse bottom in front of the wing.

Overall quality is very good and assembly pretty smooth with the usual adjustments to any ARF. Wheel pants/skirts were a pain just like the original GP but patience gets them done. Weight with LiPo about 10 pounds. If I did another I would go with glo 4-stroke or small gasser. Fuse and cowl are better suited to those engines as cooling for electric components is restrictive.

Thank you, Dick.
Since posting my question I did some more research and answered my questions. Should have done that first. Sorry and I appreciate your input.

I'm undecided on my choice of power plant. I have a 4 stroke 91 and a 120 and I'm leaning toward the 120. It might be overkill and heavy but it just seems for a 91/2 pound plane the 91 might be marginal and the 120 too much 'oomph' but I'd rather have too much power than just enough. Cooling was a concern too and I thank you for your advice.

Tom
Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 PM
Dick T.

The 120 should be fine, that's what a throttle is for!

My original GP Ryan had a Magnum 1.08 two stroke. It was ample power but no excess.

Great flying airframe with plenty of wing area.

Good luck with it.