Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 AM
ken 68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Scale AG WAGON ARF next from RCGUYS???

ORIGINAL: anothercrashpilot

AG planes are unique ! And a MONO-plane may be next, But for now , (or when it gets here .) I'll have my 120" AG-CAT to work on ! I'M having the FITZGERALD Plans from NORTHROP, enlarged 1/3 more! and a kit cut . My only question is who makes a Dummy Radial engine about 14-16" in diameter ?
I would convert it to turbo and not worry about the Radial. I bought a set of Bill Northrop's AgCat plans and thinking about shrinking them down to a smaller size and using electric. You can't just fly glo anywhere anymore and my glo planes just sit.

Ken
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
roknHS

FlyinTango just got the latest from RCGUYS today.......The new Ag Wagon ARF will be a
1/5 scale airframe........that figures to be a wing span of 98". The true 1/4 scale was just to big to produce economically...........hard to ship, more expensive to produce and expensive firewall forward packages for the end user.

I'm happy with 1/5 scale........a 98" ARF Ag Plane.......whats to complain about
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope these guys really get famous for this. I wonder if any other company (Hangar 9???) will play follow the leader and come out with their own version of an ag plane just to get in the game? If MAN does a favorable report on the Ag wagon, well that could set off a new trend of ag plane arfs. It all boils down to sales and how much new interest it generates from guys that would not normally look for this plane. C'mon, lets face it. We love cubs, cessnas, mustangs, etc. but they've been done to death! Have they not? Even if I were not a big rc cropduster fan, I'd still consider this a big welcomed relief from all the common everyday stuff out there. Now, who's with me? Get your credit cards out........CHAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 PM
roknHS

Outacontrol............you have such a strange sense of humor.........................you're startin to remind me of................................................ ...................................me[8D]

That charge thing was not original..................but it made me laugh..............and if the RCGUYS had the Ag Wagon ready tomorrow I'd be right there on your heels......credit card in hand........or money order rather...........my carrier likes to charge extra for international transactions.........not.......................I bet you were a lot of fun when you were 8.............
Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 PM
outacontrol41

When I'm not on a hardcore rampage debating technical stuff with somebody, I try to inject a little humor here and there whenever possible. Man has walked this planet for a long, long time. I doubt anything is original anymore. Actually I like to use postal money order for rc stuff....no paper trail to or from the checkbook and wife doesn't know. OMG - I hope she doesn't read this or I could be out in the shop sleeping with my planes soon.[X(]
Oh, yea, roknhs...we ag-heads remind each other of ourselves because, well, we're ag-heads and we must think alike.

Ken
Do you fly in an AMA regulated airfield or in your neighborhood baseball field? Just curious why you can't fly glow and are forced to use electric. Ag planes are hard enough to find in gas and glow, trying to find electric must be real tough.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
ken 68

The club field is 15 or more miles away and since my heart problems I don't drive. Theres a park just around the corner less than a mile. So I converted to electric. Always loved Ag planes . Had a family friend in Fla. that had a flying service. Had hopped up Stearman's. Many memeroys of them dusting the orange groves. Years ago the grove owners planted Austrailian pines around there groves for a windbreak. Taaaalll trees need I say more. Was an artform. And then was the time he took me for a ride OH yes ! I love the smell of nitro in the morning but have had to go electric. Got one I'm going to get when my next check comes in. Its a Air Tractor. AT 602 by www.dvflighttech.com Sweet little plane. I watched a beta build in RCGroups and its a GOTTA GET.
I would love to have a fleet of Ag planes. The AgCat is next on my list of must haves then comes the Pawnee.
So now you know why I fly electric at the park and the glo planes hang on the wall. Merry Xmas

Ken
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Jeff248

Geez , I turn my back for a couple of days and you guys have filled 3 pages with Ag Plane talk. Yes ,this world needs an Ag Wagon from RC Guys and then a Ag Cat and then a Rockwell Thrush. And then A PL-18 Dromader, Ask Outacontrol if that is a sweet plane or what !!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 PM
outacontrol41

ORIGINAL: Jeff248

Geez , I turn my back for a couple of days and you guys have filled 3 pages with Ag Plane talk. Yes ,this world needs an Ag Wagon from RC Guys and then a Ag Cat and then a Rockwell Thrush. And then A PL-18 Dromader, Ask Outacontrol if that is a sweet plane or what !!!
Sweeeeet! ......................Thet're all sweet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91289.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	673619  
Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 PM
roknHS

Seeing as how the Ag Wagon is in the prototype phase,................spose we could put in a request for a hatch cover where the hopper would be? I was just thinking about those of us that would like to put in an actual hopper.............or is there any airframe changes that would have to be made to accomodate a smoke system. Now is the time to bring the stuff up to RCGUYS for consideration.............not after you have the airframe and decide all kinds of customization is necessary. Also, other stuff like do you want room for a full body pilot or a pilot bust..........................other ideas?....................
Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 AM
outacontrol41

Good grief![X(] Give the man brick of gold and soon he's after the gold mine. I'm just so, so, so, so thankful that we're about to recieve this wonderful package of pure goodness from the bountiful hands of our friends RC Guys. Amen. - Okay but seriously that would be nice if they would. A hopper as I found out from ordering one from TMRC for my Pawnee, is HEAVY. Well, that one was anyway. I'm going with smoke. Putting a big oil tank where the hopper should be. If we could figure out a way to shoot the smoke out under pressure, that would be an awsome dusting effect. I'll be experimenting with this soon, sooner than Christmas.

Hint: whatever you put in there - hopper or tank, put it over the CG. That's where I kept my cat. ..Ooops!![>:][>:]
Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
outacontrol41

Hey, anothercrashpilot! How's that 120'' Ag Cat coming along? Got your kit yet? Got started?
Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
anothercrashpilot

NO KIT YET ! ! Getting close to a Month ! I'll probably contact him this week ! I'm still looking around and trying to gather parts . AND trying to convert our tiny garage into a work ( space ). I've got in a new G-62 already and the GT-80 is on the way! I'm sure I'll be using the 80 and putting on Smoke. I saw a picture of the smaller Cat with Aluminum tubing going back and out along the wings and I believe there were only holes drilled along it. Unfortunately the waiting is wearing off some of my excitement ! ! ! ! [&o] I may end up starting on my NOSEN 102" MUSTANG I got in .................................................. .......
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 AM
outacontrol41

Who's cutting the kit for you? Did they tell how long it would take? That will be a HUGE biplane when you're finally finished with it!
I'm going to build an Ag Cat, too, from Fitzgerald plans. The original 90'' ws version. I priced a wood kit for the Ag Cat from a popular kit cutter online and I thought the price was a little too way up there for what I was getting. All wood for construction....not a hint of hardware. I think I'm going to scratch build this.
I'm currently working on a short kit of a Piper Pawnee and cutting all the wood needed to complete it has got me in the mood for scratch building something else and I think I'm up to the challenge.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously? They are going to produce a 1/5 AgWagon???

I know what I want for this Christmas!!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 AM
anothercrashpilot

I hope it is HUGE when assembled . Because as you know ,Dusters are alot of Wing ! THIS is the main reason I'm having it enlarged 1/3 more. Even now the fuselage with rudder to firewall is only approx.5'8" plus 6-8" for engine ,and that will probably be fine ! IT"s not cheap eigther! Michael at Kitcutter.com is doing it and he was busy with a couple of B-25's I believe and said it would be around 4 weeks.....The kit is just wood ,(complete) and NO wire parts or gear ! larry at precisioncutkits.com has the 90"ag-cat for 395.00 and mine enlarged from michael is$425 + new plans! I THINK.................. .Ken 68 suggested doing it TURBO, But the RADIAL gives it the STYLE that makes it what it is ! SSSOOOOOO, I'm still needing a 14-16" dummy radial !
Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 AM
ken 68

I seen a sweet looking dummy somewhere but don't remember where. Big but don't know how. I'm building a pair of Slow Sticks that will fit in a gun case so they can fly to Fla. with me. Sister has big pasture out back so I'll be able to fly morning & evening. I'll be watching to see how you guys are comming along. Cheers

Ken
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 AM
outacontrol41

ACP, I did an extensive search of dummy radial engines and the best I could come up with was a 1/4 scale kit from Williams Brothers. That's good quality stuff, I bought a kit for my Stearman, but way too small for your plane. Therefore, you may have to build this yourself. The crankcase should be easy enough to construct, but the cylinders may be a challenge.[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
ken 68

Go turbo there cool and easy to do.
Ken
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
anothercrashpilot

I kind of expected to have to build it. I've seen the W.B. site a thought about using the 1/4 scale cylinders and making a bigger crankcase. franktiano.com also has a 1/4 scale engine at half the price and I thought I might experiment with it first! I think it was a onepiece and I would cut off the cylinders and put in spacers. Depending how it turned out I could keep it or get the Williams kit and space it. I'm sure theirs would be better detailed!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:17 PM
roknHS

I wonder if the Aerotow fellas have got word about this bird yet?...........should be something that a glider tow junkie could get excited about...........fact is I think that sounds like loads of fun............maybe a G-45 under the hood and a 3-4 meter glider on the hook........yep, I can picture that
Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
RedTwilight

I'm all in favor for a 1/4 scale AgWagon followed by a 1/4 scale AgCat with radial or turbo prop options. My Great Uncle and his son have been dusting for years. They have used Thrush, AgWagon, and are now using the Turbo Prop AgCat. I'll be in line for one as soon as they come out! Starting a savings for it now![&:]
Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
outacontrol41

The latest news about this is it won't be 1/4 scale. Instead it will be 1/5 scale at about 98'' wing span. Also, it will be out before Christmas....more like late fall. And, there will possibly be free shipping on the first few orders after the announcement they're available. RC Guys are still up in the air (no pun) about the color scheme. I think white with either blue or red stripes would be nice. Post your opinions and choices. What do you think?[sm=confused.gif]
I think ( my humble personal opinion) that an Ag Cat is best left as a kit or scratch build. That plane has many parts and is a biplane as well. I doubt anyone will do it any justice as an ARF.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
roknHS

I just read an e-mail from Dan at RCGUYS...........they are now focusing on the Ag Wagon prototype.............he said it is at 97" wingspan............and yes, the color scheme is being debated.................I gotta believe a white with red trim would please even the most picky of duster fans...................white with blue is ok too...........how about white with a Forest Green trim.........I always liked Green...............ya know, I'd probably still want one if it had parrot vomit yellow trim.......if you had the right shade of sun glasses it would look fine............
Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 AM
outacontrol41

Stop feeding your parrot so much corn!!!!!![sm=75_75.gif]
Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
RedTwilight

1/5 sounds even better for my wallet. Either size will be welcomed.

Outacontrol you've got a point about the AgCat.

Personally I like the white with blue color scheme but the white with red color scheme will look good too. I just started scratch building an 84" ws AgWagon that I planned to paint white with blue or blue with white. The latter color will be modeled after my late great uncles AgWagon. If not there are fuselages sitting around with the w/yellow & w/red scheme I could use too.

Can't wait to see the RC Guys version and I'm saving for it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.