Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 Tiger Moths

Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Gtarling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Tiger Moths

I'd appreciate opinions and information about what 1/4 scale Tiger Moth kits are out there and which may be the best buy(s). My ARF Moth is starting to show its age now and I'd like to replace it with one the same size, but maybe more scale-like. I'm aware of the Flair kit, which appears to have a reputation for turning out a bit heavy and Traplet have recently released plans and parts for the Duncan Hutson design. Both of these are currently in the running, but I'd like to hear if there are others out there.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Herb Brown
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/4 Tiger Moths

If you are interested in building a really well done scale model of a Tiger Moth, I suggest that you have a look at the Tiger Moth Plans designed by Gary Allen and sold by Model Airplane News. It is not a kit and is slightly larger than Quarter Scale at 30%, but it is very scale and very buildable from the drawings. It is a gorgeous set of drawings. It is not a beginning builder's model nor an ARF and would take a while to complete, but the drawings are the best I have seen. If you can build from a kit, I'm sure that you can build from these plans. They are very complete. The plan number is FSP 0704A. I intend to build one after I complete the projects that I am presently on.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 AM
rxAxilleas

try www.bhplans.com
i am seaching for a tiger too.
also i have a plan on dxf i you interesting pm me.
achilles
Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 AM
47tbolt

If your looking for a tiger kit you can also try clark industries it's 1/4 scale
http://www.clarkindustries.on.ca/index.html
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
47tbolt

make sure you have the speakers turned up really loud
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Gtarling

Herb - as much as I'd love to build a 30% Moth, I'm afraid it brings too many logistical complications at the moment!

rxAxilleas - Thanks - can't see a Moth on Bob Holman's site. I'm really looking for a kit rather than a plan.

47tbolt - Thanks for reminding me about this one - I did encounter that site a long time ago and remembered to mute my sound before visiting it! It's a bit pricey at 900$CDN but I'm sure it's worth it. It's also looking a bit heavy at over 20 pounds - my current one weighs only 18.5 pounds and that's WITH 6.5 pounds or battery on board! Have you actually built one of these, or do you know anyone who has?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a good friend of the man that designed the Tiger Moth now available from Clark Industries. His name was Bud Barkley, and when he designed this airplane back in 1978, he won first place in scale at Toledo with his original model. At that time he started manufacturing a kit, and I was the distributor in the USA. If the kit produced by Clark is anywhere like the one produced by Bud Barkely, it is a superb kit, and builds into a fantastic model.

I have a reproduction of his plans that I have scanned to show you the detail that Bud went to in preparing this model for sale. I will scan it in two posts - wish me luck:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28897.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	694507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82785.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	694508  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Jim Messer

Well that worked, so here are the plans to the fuselage. The post wouldn't take two sheets together, so will follow with yet another post.

Name:	Da83388.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	694510  
Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Jim Messer

Here is the final fuselage sheet. I hope they are useful.

Name:	Qo41302.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	694511  
Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
47tbolt

I haven't built the clark t moth but i did see one and it was a greay looking plane. Holman does sell plans for a 1/3 scale t moth . These plans are dead on scale .They show scale hardware and everything. I can't remember who drew them but he did a fantastic job.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Gtarling

Jim - many thanks for posting those. Although the quality on my screen isn't sufficient to make out all the detail, it's given me enough to see that model isn't for me. That plan is for the DH82C, whereas I want to model the D82A. I realise that there aren't major differences between the two, but some parts of that plan show things that are just too far from scale to make it worth buying and importing to the UK, when there are others available which are more accurate.

47tbolt - As I said, 1/3 is just too large for me to contemplate at the moment. Thanks anyway.

Now I just have to find someone who has built a Hutson Tiger Moth. They had a very good reputation when Duncan was selling his kits, so I only hope that's been echoed in the latest Traplet version.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 PM
47tbolt

Another possibility is if you find a set of plans you like you can have someone cut a kit for you. Being on the other side of the ocean you should find some good scale plans
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Bish Wheeler

I built a 1/4 scale TM from Mike Smart plans. It was a fairly straight forward build, but lots of ribs and sub ribs (all the same size tho). I powered it with a U.S. 41 which is plenty. The model came in at 22lbs and probably could weigh 19 to 20 if you really worked at it. It is a good flyer although it is a pretty tame airplane and there is not much you can do with it other and very large barrell rolls and loops. It's fun to fly if you like realistic flight characteristics and great 3 pt landings.

Cheers,

Bish
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Gtarling

47Tbolt - have decided that if I'm going to build another large model, then I'd rather build something else and have ordered a Piper Pawnee short kit from a UK supplier. As far as Moths go, I've decided that refurbishing and repairing my current one is going to be faster and cheaper than building from scratch.

Bish - Thanks for that - useful to know. What does rather suprise me is the weights that are being quoted here and in other places for various Moths. Mine is straight from a Chinese ARF copy of the Pilot kit and weighs 18.5 pounds WITH electric drive system and 6.5 pound battery on board - from what I can see, that's lighter than most which are I.C. powered!

Thanks for the help folks!
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was an Arizona Models 'ARF' (which means Almost Ready to FINISH".....lot of work to do!

Name:	Tr50309.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	699583   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45176.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	699584  
Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Cybertom

GTarling,

What weight do you expect for a 1/4th scale Tiger Moth with a 89" wingspan? I am currently building the Flair kit. Flair states anywhere from 16 to 19lbs. That doesn't seem heavy for an aircraft of that size:

16lbs and a wing area of 15.5 square feet gives you 16.5 oz per square foot of wing loading.
19lbs and a wing area of 15.5 square feet gives you 19.6 oz per square foot of wing loading.
What wing loading do you expect for this aircraft?

When you subtract the weight of a Laser 150 1.8lbs, and the radio equipment including battery there's not much room for more weight loss as far as the actual construction. The only way you could possibly shave off a little more would be by changing to lighter wheels or maybe making the landing gear components lighter by using composites.

My point is that the actual construction of the Flair Tiger Moth airframe is not heavy at all. It is very lean. I don't see another design of similar size yielding significant weight savings by using a little less Balsa here or there. Know what I mean?[sm=50_50.gif]

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Gtarling

Cybertom - it's not so much what weight I was expecting, but what I've observed. The majority of Flair Moths I've found data on appear to come out around 20 - 22 pounds, with I.C. engines, for whatever reason. I was merely expressing my surprise that my electric Moth came out to 18.5 pounds, WITH a 6.5 pound battery onboard - it was an 'ARF' too! As for the wing loading, the odd pound or so is hardly going to affect that anyway. Mine can be really 'floated' by without the hint of a stall and would readily carry another pound or two without noticing! I am eventually going to have to replace the tired old Nicad battery and stand to save around 2 pounds if I choose to replace it with a Lipoly pack, so guess who's going to be adding some lead?!!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Cybertom

GTarling,

Who's ARF is it and what scale is it?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Gtarling

Cybertom - it's 1/4 scale and was purchased from Hobbyland in Germany. It appears to have been built in China from the Pilot kits plan.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Cybertom

GTarling,

Do you have any photos of it?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Gtarling

Cybertom - one or two!

Name:	Ec88803.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	705046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80734.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	705047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49316.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	705048  
Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Cybertom

Gtarling,

That's a really nice looking ARF. I'm not sure I could build another 1/4th Tiger Moth from a kit knowing I had that in my hangar.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Gtarling

Thanks Cybertom! It's one of the nicest flying models I've ever had, but the price for that seems to be high-ish maintenance and transport/storage problems. If it were necessary, I would build from a kit, as that would enable me to get things right first time rather than having to make them good later. I'm just finishing removing a warp from one top wing and then the model will be ready to fly again for this year. Over winter, it's going to need new rigging wires and a new battery.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Andrewmc

I have purchased the plans and part set from traplet for the Duncan Hutson Tiger Moth. From date of order to delivery in Cape Town, South Africa took a little over 1 week, which really impressed me. While strictly speaking this is not a kit it does come with the fuselage and wing formers pre cut and with a fibreglass cowl, scale fuel tank and scale de Haviland wheels. All the std type hardware and wood still requires purchasing. To assist this is a very comprehensive parts list also listing special items like Mick Reeves turnbuckles, which I also ordered and received in the post 5 days later - even more impressed.

I am still in the process of purchasing all of the materials and expect to be in a position to start building early in the new year. From a cost point of view, even with delivery charges to South Africa (about GBP 250) the Clarke Industries Kit would be less expensive and you would save the hassle of having to purchase all the little bits yourself - although I have quite enjoyed doing that as it gets you familiar with all the components and what they are for.

I have purchased a Laser 180 engine for the model and if you are interested could put together the total cost of kitting up the plans.

Regarsd

Andrew McConnell
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Gtarling

Andrew - Thanks for that! Mick Reeves has always given me good service, too. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your Duncan Hutson Moth, I've never seen one in the flesh, so any photos you could post would be of great interest. I've decided that there's not enough wrong with mine as it is to warrant scrapping it and building another, so it's going to get a refurbish as soon as my Piper Pawnee is off the building board.

Gordon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.