Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

New to Giant Scale Aircraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

New to Giant Scale Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 AM
KG4EHL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Giant Scale Aircraft

Hey All,

I am really wanting to get into Giant Scale. I am curious (I may already know the answer). Are the higher costs of the servos(electronics), Engines, and Aircraft completly worth it in the end? I know this may sound like a dumb question, Every time I see a giant scale aircraft fly it just seems to fly so much more smoothly and effortlessly. Where as .40 and .60 size aircraft seem much more bouncy and unsteady. The Giant scale is easy to see in the air. I ask because before I sell off my current planes, are my efforts and costs going to be rewarded in Giant scale?

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to Giant Scale Aircraft

was it worth it when you started into the hobby? It will be the same only better. You hav already answered your own questions. Larger planes fly better, make you a better pilot and builder and the oohs and aaahs are like frosting on the cake. The cost is just like anything else in the hobby all transferrable to the next project. The costs all depends upon what your project is. A lot of your equipment can be reused. The only issue will be room and your next vehicle to move them. You wont regret the change and nothing says you cant continue flying the smaller models.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

There's a saying among lots of GS guys;

Once you go gas, you'll never go back...

Seriously tho, most of the guys I know who are into the GS stuff keep a glow model or two around including me, but they are seldom flown and one of two I keep is a trainer in case someone is interested. Some of the guys will keep a funflyer around, but you'd be surprised at how your definition of "Funflyer" changes as you move up...

One other caveat I got from a GS guy when I was considering getting into bigger models; "The model that's the most fun to fly is the one you don't have to mortgage your house to replace."

You may want to consider that as well as the advice you got from Ram-bro?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:50 PM
KG4EHL

Guys, Thanks for the insight!
I felt like I was answering my own questions.. but thought maybe I was just OOOhhed __ AAHHHHed into wanting to go this route. I feel better now!
I agree that spending to much on it may keep me from having fun so with that said I am thinking about some where between a 30cc and 50cc plane. I really like the CMPro 330L through Nitro Planes but I know nothing of it's quality. I know that I feel it is a good price $289.00 for the plane. I did see the thread on this plane but feel that the person building it was modifying it so much that I could not get a good feel of the plane it self. Any idea you have on a good plane would be great!
Thanks again for eveyones help!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 PM
roknHS

The Lanier Stinger is a very forgiving way to start..........................very aerobatic but will slow to a crawl.........it will land slower than most of your glow planes.
Figure $300 for a good used engine, $300 to $400 for a nice ARF, $150 to $200 for servos and another $200 for switches, batteries, decent tires & misc. Some will say you can do it cheaper but then where do you start skimping when you know you're going to have close to a grand flying around.........$20 here and $30 there for the extra insurance of a redundant switch and battery or a better servo starts to make sense. Bigger planes fly better and are more fun..............and they cost more. If $800 or $1000 scares you, maybe wait or do it in steps.........my first big plane took a few years to gather the stuff before I ever started to put it together.

But to put it all in perspective.......a buddy of mine always tapes a folded up big black gargage bag inside the fuselage before his maiden vogage.............that way he never has to walk back to get a bag to clean up the mess.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 PM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

Hey KG4;
A 120 to 140 4 stroke costs about the same as a good used 50cc, the airframes are about the same price as a 120 to 140 glow aerobatic. Fuel is much cheaper and go's farther (more flight time per gallon), and the biggest thing about going bigger, is they fly so good, the bigger the better they fly.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kg, i'd check out the bridi big bird, it has a 96 inch span , and is sort of like a big stick
, i'm saving up for one . its www.bridiairplanes.com. The big bee is a big forgiving airplane
and i think a great introduction into giantscale
Old 10-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Bass1

Since I got into the larger gas powered models my smaller glow stuff has been hanging on the wall in my garage for several years now just collecting dust.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: KG4EHL

Guys, Thanks for the insight!
I felt like I was answering my own questions.. but thought maybe I was just OOOhhed __ AAHHHHed into wanting to go this route. I feel better now!
I agree that spending to much on it may keep me from having fun so with that said I am thinking about some where between a 30cc and 50cc plane. I really like the CMPro 330L through Nitro Planes but I know nothing of it's quality. I know that I feel it is a good price $289.00 for the plane. I did see the thread on this plane but feel that the person building it was modifying it so much that I could not get a good feel of the plane it self. Any idea you have on a good plane would be great!
Thanks again for eveyones help!

One other consideration you might think about?

Buy a gasser already setup from someone?

That's how I did it and it worked out okay for me. A complete model can actually be had for fewer dollars than the sum of it's used parts if you're willing to consider used stuff. There are some things you need to be aware of if buying used gasser stuff.

I did find out the hard way that it would be best to locate someone in your area who's into the gassers and ask for assistance should you decide to go with a used model, or even build something new yourself. They (gassers) are not hard to work with but there are some other things you should know about them which are different from glow stuff. While the one I got was a 50cc size and I learned a lot from it, there were a few things about it which just weren't done in what I would now consider, an acceptable way....
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
KG4EHL

All,
Thanks again for the input! I have looked at the planes everyone has suggested so far, I like them...... I am all set for something in the 30cc - 50cc range. I am now sold on that fact.
I just don't know what to pick. There are so many Edge 540's, Extra 260's and Extra 330's and YAK's to choose from that I lean tords those types............ I have flown for many years now. Just not sure an Extra should be my first move into Giant scale. (I love the way they look) At the same time if they are easier to fly I certainly don't want to step backwards into a trainer........ I am not much into Scale warbirds at this time. And 3D is not inportant at this time? So I will make this my last question. What would you fly given that I have been flying since 1988 and that currently I am flying a Big Stick 40 and the GP Ultra Sport+.
You guys have been great!

Thanks again!
KG4EHL
Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Bass1

There are alot of great 50cc airplanes out now days and I would lean towards those (and I have). You don't need a huge vehicle to haul them around and most of the "name brands" fly similar to their larger brothers.( O.K... maybe not quite.) Anything smaller and you're basically trying to cram a gas engine in a glow plane and then you'll probably end up with a "lead sled". If you're on a budget, the 50cc Wildhare offerings would be a good way to go and they perform well. I tend to look for wingspans in the 80 to 88"" class and wing areas in the 1300 to 1450 sq. inch size weighing from 15 to 17lbs dry. Also, there seems to be an abundance of reliable and relatively inexpensive 50 cc engines available now days. I recently bought a new/old Brison 3.2 with a Slimline Pitts muffler for under $300.00 that runs like a "fanny full o' corn!"
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
wingnutagencies

im into scale so a hangar 9 cessna 182 will do it for me. you seem to like the aerobatical stuff so the cap232 - also H9..... they also use the lower end gas size motors and i hear they were built around the zenoah range. the new electronic ignition motors could be nice.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Bob Byrnes

Consider the RC Guys Decathlon. Read about it on the thread in this forum. It is tremendous value at the price and a lovely aircraft.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
KG4EHL

Bob & Wingnut Wow I like all of those. I am not much for scale it self but WOW I like the Cessna and the Decathlon and the CAP!!!! I am thinking the Decathlon would give me the best of both worlds... Maybe a little more docile than the CAP but a more Aerobatic than the cessna... I see it should be out in November... I thought the price was a little high but then I read the information on it's quality and how it is built! I am very impressed!

Thank you greatly!!!
[8D]
Nice suggestions!

KG4

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
raptorflyr
My Feedback: (20)

This year was a big year for me. I made the jump to Giant Scale. What you've heard is absolutely correct. The difference in flight is amazing. After my first flight of my giant scale aircraft (33% Lanier Laser), all of my other stuff went up for sale the following day. I now have the Laser, a 30% SD Yak, and a 37% Ultimate on the building table. The gas stuff is such a much more enjoyable experience. No messy clean-up after the flying day, no need for all the starting gear, and cheap fuel. For the YAK and Laser, the engines have pretty much been "set and forget". I actually have more fun flying, without worrying if I am going to have engine problems or my nitro fuel has gone bad.

If you haven't looked already, the YAK is by far the best flying plane I have ever had, period. It can be slow and floaty, but it also "goes where you point it". I have a SD-Models Yak, but there are tons of options out there.

Many of the H9 planes fly good also. We've build several of the 27% H9 Extra 260's and powered with a Evolution 45. Not as nice as a 30% yak, but airframe is half the price! We've actually got one of these ready to go, minus receiver in the LHS for $1100.

There are plenty of power options for gas. If you want aerobatic you can go with something like a DL-50 to keep costs down. I've used Evolution, Zenoah, and DA and have had nothing but positive things to say about each of them. One thing to keep in mind as you decide is the fact that gas engines simply do not wear like glow engines. They usually get better with more run time. Glow engines are great for a few gallons and then..?

My laser falls in the budget category with Hitec 5645 servos (@ $45-50 each) and a Zenoah G62. It is also a great airplane.

Another great-flying airplane is the new H9 Cub with the Zenoah installed. Not really super-aerobatic, but would be a great intro to gas tuning and such. That kit with motor and servos is right around $1000... Most .60 glow planes near that with big 4-strokes!

Like the others, I say that once you make the switch you won't look back. The only glow stuff I have left is a trainer for my son and a cub for our annual cub event.

PM Me if you have any questions - I'd be happy to share my experiences with you!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:04 AM
andernamen

Consider converting a weedie or chainsaw. An EI system can be had cheap these days and there are plenty of guys selling conversion parts. I have a Homelite 45 from a saw on EI that is nearly as light as some of the high dollar engines and has enough power to fly a 84.5" Mustang around. Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 AM
rgoldy

I think you should look at having fun with your first gasser. With that in mind, I vote for a Giant Big Stik (cash in your Tower coupon) and a CRRC Pro 45 purchased from a US or Canadian supplier (Western Hobbies or the like). Stay away from ebay and off shore suppliers-you want a person you can call with questions. This gives you a plane that is absolutely a ball to fly, not intimidating, can take some punishment and has everything out in the open so you can learn. Add to that it is pretty inexpensive. When you are having fun flying this, think about which Extra/Edge/Yak setup you want now that you have some experience.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
KG4EHL

cool!! Thank you so so much. there are certainly more options out there than I first thought!

Ander- you mentioned converting a weedie...... I just happen to have a brand new Homelite 25cc gas trimmer NIB that I bought at a yard sale for $35 I already have a weedeater this was just such a good deal I couldn't pass it up so I bought it!..... So I could convert this ....HHMMMM I just did a google on that and found a cople places that sell the parts I would need. WAY WAY cool! Quick question.... what oil ratio would I need to use?

I really like the Decathlon Idea.... stable but with some aerobatic traits (I see Dynaflight has a kit through tower $159.00)......... Although I think a GP Giant big stick would be allot of fun too......ARF I wouldn't have to build it! Wonder if my Homelite 25cc would be sufficient for the stik.
I would say I would be reluctant about using the homelite for an engine but it is truly brand new!!! Didn't even think about that!

Again you guys have given me GREAT ideas! Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 AM
beepee

The 25cc Homelite will be a bit weak for the Dynaflight Decathlon. Light too, as the finished airframe needs some nose weight.

Use the same oil mix that you use in your existing weedeater, or what is recommended in the manual. Most anything will work fine.

Have fun with it!

Bedford
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Robby368

100% worth it my friend! I moved into the giant scale jungle earlier this year, and I haven't touched any of my .40 size planes since. Yeah they are more expensive, but the amount of confidence that you gain is well worth the price.

I was also worried about making the jump into the big stuff, worried about crashing a $3000 plane. I was also worried about building a biggun, but I talked to some guys and they told me about www.Aeroworks.net . The aeroworks plane is practically fully built. All you do is stick in your servos and engine. It's not the BEST giant scale kit out there, but for a first time giant scale pilot, it couldn't be better. I got the AW 50cc yak, put my hardware in it, a DA50, and set it to the recommended CG. My very first flight was straight and level. SUPER easy to fly, and lands like a trainer.

If you're experienced with .40 and .60 size planes, the giant scale aircrafts will be a breeze. The 50cc is so easy to fly, I'm going to sell it next spring and jump right into the 150cc class. I've heard they're even easier to fly than the 50cc!

Not to mention NEVER buying the $20 gallon of nitro fuel anymore. I can fly all day on $2.00 worth of gas. So you could say after about 3400 flights, it'll pay for itself right?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
dukefan52
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

I too am looking to make a jum into GS. Right now I have a .40 an d.60 size extra and was looking to get something similiar. The ones I have really been looking at though are the Comp-Arfs. I see that they have a new 2.12M extra 260 that fits a DA 50 perfectly. Any thoughts on this being a first GS plane. I hear nothing but how easy they are to fly and maintance is a whole lot better than the balsa-monocoat ones.

What do you guys think?