Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ace Big Bingo questions

WhiteRook,

The gear is the stock gear that came with the aircraft. Very heavy duty aluminum...very strong. Quite thick as well. Thicker than most aluminum gear you see on ARFs these days. That's one reason I used DuBro air-filled tires, to allow for a little shock-absorbtion on landing.

Yes, the sheeting between the spars is unique. I beveled the edges and used epoxy on them to ensure a good bond to the plywood ribs. After adding the PolyMat material and resin, you could probably stand on it and not break it.
    John from Portage, Michigan
    Cub Brotherhood #137, Fleet Brotherhood #6, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #38

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whats the width between the wheels? and where it attaches to the fuse how wide is it from nose to tail?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook

whats the width between the wheels? and where it attaches to the fuse how wide is it from nose to tail?

thanks
    I'll make some measurements for you. The wheel track is very wide, wider than most any landing gear I've ever seen before.

Thought I'd include a couple photos of the finished/painted cowl. It's finished off in Rustoleum rattle-can white, black and clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68000.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1760690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk29707.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1760691  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another photo of the cowl, as well as the cockpit, decked out in some dark-gray felt. have to do a little more trimming and finishing up on that.

Final sanding and covering the wing is next, followed by mounting the horizontal stab/fin. Rudder and elevators are already hinged to their partners.

Name:	Ig13046.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1760692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13251.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	1760693  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Epoxied the horizontal stab and vertical stabilizer last night. Also attached the elevator/rudder to their respective servos. The vertical stabilizer is not covered as there are two shaped blocks that help support the fin, then are covered with Monokote. That will be the next item to complete.

Then, on to the wings for final sanding/covering. She's about 1-2 weeks away from the maiden flight.

Name:	Mk27254.jpg 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1761173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17728.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	1761174  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, time for a few more photos.

The wings are covered, aileron servos attached, ailerons hinged. Used carbon-fiber rods and titanium 4/40 ends, along with DuBro heavy-duty 4/40 ball links. Just need to add the trim stripes to the wings, following the contours of the black/white Monokote. May have system problems posting photos this morning, sorry if they don't show up. I'll keep trying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trying photos again...

Name:	Tr51346.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1763409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	So43006.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1763410  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a couple photos of the carved/sanded tail filler blocks. They'll get epoxied in and then the remainder of the vertical stabilizer/rudder/filler blocks will be Monokoted.

Name:	Wu59515.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	1763411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id97775.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	1763412  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yes, then the small dorsal fin will also need to be completed. Not sure if I'll use the plywood ones or make one out of balsa.

Finally, one more overall shot of the top of the airframe.

Also weighed this beastie this morning with a digital hanging fish-scale. The all-up weight, with batteries, but without fuel (and also without the vertical stablilizer covered), came out to 17 lbs, 2 oz. A rough balance, again without fuel, appears to be approx. 1/2 inch behind the main spar. Balance should be right at the main spar. Every airplane has an "envelope" where balance is acceptable, but the Big Bingo only shows balance right a the main spar. I would doubt that 1/2" behind the exact point would be severely detrimental. In addition, with 16 ounces of gasoline in the fuel tank, weighing in at 12 oz, this should help to move the CG a little further forward. As I normally only fly 10-15 minute flights, which consume around a third of a tank of fuel or less, that still leaves over 10.5 fluid ounces of fuel in the tank, weighing in at almost 8 oz (mass). I'll put 8 oz. of lead in the fuel tank compartment and see what difference that makes. Of course, if needed, I'll add a small ingot of lead in the fuel-tank compartment to help bring the CG a little closer. Might take a couple of flights to see if it is really needed, though.

Name:	Ca82957.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1763414  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have more photos, as I reach the end of the build.

Finished putting together the dorsal fin (three-pieces of plywood laminated together). Shaped and filled it. The problem was how to attach it to the top of the fuselage. I decided I would epoxy the back of the fin to the front of the vertical stabilizer, then used some clear silicone adhesive to attach the bottom of the fin to the top of the rear fuselage...right on top of the Monokote. That way, I didn't have to cut into the covering to try to glue the fin onto the top-center stringer. It's not very wide and if cut, would give little surface for the Monokote to attach to.

The other photos is of the covered and wire-braced horizontal stab/vertical stab assembly. Used the Sullivan Flying Wire Bracing Kit # S546.

Name:	Fd90951.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	1764598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24163.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1764599  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After covering the vertical stab, adding the filler blocks and tail wiring, found that the CG was balancing more than 1/2 inch behind the main spar. I'm sure there must be a CG envelope, but it's not documented anywhere. I found that I needed to add a 12.3 oz lead ingot just behind the firewall. Attached it with 8/32 hex bolts and blind nuts, on the front of the fuel tank platform, just behind the firewall. Can't get much closer than this. It will also allow me to change the size of the ingot if I find that the CG needs to be adjusted. The second photo shows how it's mounted, just behind the firewall.

Name:	Wu59409.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1764600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av67452.jpg 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	1764601  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The next photo is of the fuel-tank compartment, as well as where the 3200 mah receiver and 3200 mah ignition batteries are located, on the right side of the fuel tank. Hard to see but there is foam on the bottom and sides of the batteries. One stacks on top of the other. As a point of reference, each battery weighs just under 8 ounces. Still need to complete a final weigh-in, but it should be right around 18 pounds.

Name:	Ki18844.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	1764602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83878.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1764603  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few more photos of the final outcome. It's hard to notice, but the decals had some slight yellowing, from age. More noticeable as you look closely at them, against the white Monokote background.

Final items to finish will be to fit the aluminum straps that extend from each wing hold-down bolt to its mate on the opposit side of the wing. The aluminum straps are designed to give you a little more strength for (what I would assume) would be any "wild" maneuvers. I'm not much for wild maneuvers, but I want to fit the straps anyway. The pre-drilled holes in the aluminum strap don't quite line up with the bolt pattern in the wing, but that should be no problem. I can always get more strap at a local hardware store. Didn't measure, but probably 1/16" thick.

Name:	Ec87599.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1764605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14336.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1764606  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maiden flight last night. Right after the takeoff, noted that she needed a lot of "up" trim in the elevator and lots of right rudder on the takeoff and climbout. Not much right-thrust built into the front end, even with a couple of washers under the left-side mounting posts. The DLE-30 provided lots of power and on successive flights leaning her out a bit to get some good RPMs (brand new engine), she would hold a pretty decent vertical line for a couple hundred feet...just make sure you stomp on the right rudder!! Turns to the right require quite a bit of coordinated right-rudder input. Hammerhead turn to the right under power is almost impossible to make come out nice and clean, due to the torque and lack of adequate right-thrust. If you're building one of these pups, add plenty of right thrust to the motor mount. Part of the problem is the vertical fin/rudder does not have a great deal of area, along with the fin/rudder not being very tall and having limited authority to keep the tail straight without more right-thrust.

Landings were nice and smooth. She does float a little, but with a little forward slip, she loses altitude with no problem and will settle in on a nice wheel landing or three-pointer. Flapperons did a nice job of allowing a little steeper descent without having to extend the downwind leg and make a real shallow approach. Seemed to be plenty of roll authority all the way down final with partial or full flapperons extended.

As I get more flights on her, it'll be interesting to see if I need to remove any of the lead from the nose. With a full 16 oz tank of fuel, coming in at about a pound, no wonder so much up-trim was needed. I'm wondering how much of that 12 oz ingot of lead I have in the front, is really needed, particularly when I will rarely use more than half of a tank of fuel per flight. Most flights are about 10 minutes and there's a ton of fuel left after a single flight.

She's a keeper!!

Name:	Bz77256.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1771995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78109.jpg 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	1771996  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had the Big Bingo up for the first time in a couple of months. Engine ran and the airplane flew great. Had my son fly the my Great Planes Giant Super Sportster, to get an idea of how both aircraft flew together. Both are similar in size (with the Big Bingo being a little larger in span and a good pound or two heavier, but forgot to bring my digital scale to weigh them).

Both were flying with a DLE-30 with Xoar 18X6 props (Yes, I have a black one for the Bingo, just need to drill it ou). Same fuel, same radio systems. With the barn-door ailerons and lighter weight, it was clear that the GP GSS was more maneuverable and had a better climb rate and could land a little slower. The Big Bingo seemed to have a slight edge on speed, with a little less drag, but you can tell the aileron effectiveness at low-speed is not as good as the GP GSS. Practiced some rough formation flying and will fly these together in the future to get a better picture of large-scale 30cc airplanes; kit vs. ARF, then versus now.

Name:	Ca81978.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	1791507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48004.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	1791508  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a four stroke engine for my Big Bingo.
    Thank you.
    Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Super Tiger 3000 (20x8 MasterAirscrew) on mine and it weighs in at 18 lbs. The ST is the same as a 1.85ci 2-stroke or 30cc. I would think a 4-stroke 2.20 Saito might pull it, but the gas engine is the way to go, cheaper fuel. I have run a 35cc Quadra on one before, but with the ST I get 8 minutes of flight time from a 24 ounce tank. I keep the ST on it for nostalga reasons, during the early 80's it was the engine of choice for large scale planes. And yes, i buy my fuel for it by the case.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you Fred, a gasser is the way to go on this bird. I've got a 16 ounce tank and I can fly multiple 10-minute flights with my DLE-30 and still have fuel left over, but I normally fuel-up after 1 or 2 flights.

Name:	Fc90108.jpg 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	1818249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50838.jpg 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	1818250  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Planejaw
    How difficult was it cut the angle on the top-deck to make the separation for the hatch?
    It looks like you have a very nice "clean cut". My Zona saw is or long enough to go the width of the deck. How I'd you do it?
    Thanks Rickr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To all,

I will now have time to get on the new Bingo design. We moved into a new building and it kept me from doing much new designs this past 8 months. We are now 98% set-up.

Will keep everyone posted. It will be a bomb with a DLE 35RA engine! Unlimited vertical and I do mean it!

Dany/AMR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rickpell

Planejaw
    How difficult was it cut the angle on the top-deck to make the separation for the hatch?
    It looks like you have a very nice ''clean cut''. My Zona saw is or long enough to go the width of the deck. How I'd you do it?
    Thanks Rickr
    Rick, sorry I haven't responded sooner. I think I used a wide X-acto saw that has a fairly wide chord to make the cut.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built one of these back in the 90's and really enjoyed the build. The problem wasn't the plane it was those crappy ST 3000's that were overheating at the time. Lots of deadsticks until one day she quit and did a tip stall when I tried to bring her back. You did a nice job on yours and I hope with a gas engine she will give you a lot of joy flying. I went to a Giant Stinger with a G62, funny how non of these are around anymore. BARFS from China is the main thrust of the hobby now.
    Piece of Cake
    Spitfire Brotherhood #121

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No problem Planejaw...got the job done using my scroll saw. Funny thing is that I built a big bingo about 12years ago and I have very little recollection. plane came out pretty nice (will try scare up and post some photos). Used a ST3000 and had no problems with engine...problem was me..I was so far behind the airplane...so not ready for it. I have finally completed construction of all the components of Bingo II. My Saito 150 has finally arrived, and with any luck Santa will leave me a DX8 under the tree. I will be entering the brave new world of 2.4 MHz. (Getting back into RC after 7 year absence). going to be an interesting transition from my senior Telemaster I am currently flying. Good news is that I have a buddy box that has served me well in getting soloed again. I will not make the same mistake again with this airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you're all ready to go Rick. Post some photos of your build, interested to see how it goes. I had a lot of warped plywood parts on my Big Bingo, so it took some work to get everything nice and straight, particularly when lining up the wing ribs. Sometimes I had to glue them to the trailing edge or to the spars, let everything dry well, then crank the leading edge of the rib to the right position on the PVC leading edge and use some clamps to hold it in place. Used a lot of Tight-Bond or Elmer's carpenter's glue to hold things together. Used almost no CA on the ship at all. I also had some spar material that was cut short in the kit, so I had to splice some pieces together with an angled cut and plywood epoxied to it to give extra strength. Good luck with your build and happy holidays.

Name:	Vs55665.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1829491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21613.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	1829492  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a couple more photos of the wing construction.

Name:	Ki20609.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	1829493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw73108.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	1829494  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast