Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

B 777-200

Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Captain Ducman
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B 777-200

Peter,

This project is coming along awesome!!! I am leaving EWR for IAH in April. I will continue to commute but am considering bringing an airplane out there maybe we can do some flying, I think the field people told me about is out east of snake lake?? I'd love to see this project in person.

Keep the updates coming
Steve
Old 02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Impressive, indeed. MM
Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM
bountyflyer

Steve,

you are more then welcome in our club! It is just 0.5 miles South of Matan (the final approach fix for 8R). Look up the website www.houstonsportflyers.com It is on a flood plain with houses growing around it. When flying you can see blue sheds and a grass runway. We have 3 jet guys, a couple of giant scale fanaticks, bunch of electric dudes, and just recently we got about 20 heli nuts. There are at least 4 of us from Express Jet, and 3 from main line. I like the place because it is pretty laid back, no pressure or mean comments like at other places in Houston I've been to. You can have a trainer or a super scale WWII plane you will still get the same welcome. If you need directions, let me know.

About the project:

I got to tell you guys, I am working on the side as a pilot to pay bills so the project had to stop for a couple of days. Last weekend was a picture perfect weekend, so I pulled out my F-16 for a flying day.

I have an engineer friend called Matt Moll who is working for Du-Piont engineering. He is a major player in the project. He helped me in the scaling process. (after the desktop model) On last weekend I bought the main spar material. It is an aluminum tube 2 inches OD with a 1/4 inch thickness. He looked up the number on it for strenght properties, and calculated all afternoon. He is a real genius! We was thinking of the stress what might would go on the main spar. We both agreed that the most of the stress will occure in the fist 1/3rd of the wing. (wing roots) The question was how much exactly, and how much does the main spar can handle without permanently bending or even braking. Since it is a swept wing design every time I turn, will have to apply tonns of back pressure. Let's say I will turn in a 90 deg. bank then it probably will pull about 9-10Gs with full up elevator. I am not saying that I will want to do this all the time, but if I have to, this is an effective way to keep the plane away from spectators in a cross wind situation. So 10 G s will put about 700 punds on the main spar. This is a lot if you think about it... As Matt carefully calculated my main spar will take about 850lbs before bending. Plus I will have some strength from the sorrounding structures like fiber glass and other smaller spars. So the aluminum tube I bought seems to be sufficient for this application. It weigh about 7lbs with the outer extentiones.

The other major part is the engine holder pylon. It is an aluminum plate what will be the end of the inner wing as well. The main spar will connect into this plate as well. I will have two smaller aluminum tube what will be mounted in the outer wing and will slide into the main spar. This is how the outer wings will be detachable. There will be a smaller spar to the front of the wing, what will conncet with the good ol' broomstick, and raptor heli tailboom system... Now I need to cut out the engine pylons, and shape them to what the full sclae plane likes. It iwll take a couple of days as I see it...

This time I would like to give credit to Joe Pasztor who has an incredible machine shop here in Houston. He is helping me with advice and he was working on the main spar yesterday evening to turn it down so the outer pace will slide into the main spar. He is a long time modeller and has many jets, and giant sclae planes as well.

This time I would like to appologize for my English. As I mentioned earlyer I am from Hungary, and using English since 1999. So please forgive me for my spelling.

Will come back with more pictures when I installed the main spar.

Cheers, Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91638.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	879107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96895.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	879108  
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
bountyflyer

Mike,

thanx, I used to live in Vernal UT! I was flying my R/C F-16 off of the taxiway on Vernal airport. I was flying a Navajo for Salmon Air between SLC and VEL or SLC and MOB. It was a fun time, and liked Utah very much.

Peter
Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 PM
JetLincoln

Peter...

Absolutely amazing! I flew with you back on 1/27 - 1/28 and had a great time listening to you describe this project. (Yeah, I was the one that got JR Manned, hehe). Seeing your pictures really shows the enormity of it. I am really impressed. Thanks to you I'm getting back into the hobby after 8 years of inactivity, albeit on a much smaller scale. I just ordered and Ultra Sport 40 and am looking forward to start building. The detail and craftsmanship really shows on the 777
. I would love to see it in person, so when you plan to have it at the field, drop me a note in my V-file and I'll be there is my schedule permits.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
bountyflyer

Guys,

looks like life is going on regardless... I just had a new baby boy, so now I have 2 kids to look after... I had to pack up the project and put it on hold for a little while. I reached the point where I need to buy the engines. I probably will buy two Jet cat P80's. SO I need to come up with the money... I am building a race car on the side for one of my R/C friend. It is an Austin Heally 3000 from 1961. I need to finish the body work on it so I can buy the turbine engines for the 777... This car has a new frame, a racing 5 speed with a '95 ford 302. A custom front end for stability. We are planing to go to the salt flats to Utah next year to get a red hat for going over 200mph...

Anyhow,

Once the two enigine mounting plates are on the plane, I won't be able to machine them. To see the exact dimensions, I need the engine. At least one...

So cheers, got to go change dipers!

Happy flying for all of you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17936.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	901283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95093.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	901284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61916.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	901285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71905.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	901286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70133.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	901287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr91133.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	901288  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Why oh why sacrifice a perfectly good AH 3000 to this project? wouldn't an old Ford Pinto be just as challenging? It looks like it needed a huge rebuild - but they are actually worth something. 200+ MPH - hope you got life insurance! That thing has the aerodynamics of a ball peen hammer! Good luck.

P.S. - as a long term British car owner - it hurts to see one cut up - but then... a mini with a 302 should go even faster!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Peter!

Can't wait to see it done, you know you need to get a video of the maiden flight.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 AM
joee75

shame this project looks to have died
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a lot of them do.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Airliner-rc