Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

AUSTARS MODELS TL2000 ULTRALIGHT

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

AUSTARS MODELS TL2000 ULTRALIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
wifpwcf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUSTARS MODELS TL2000 ULTRALIGHT

Hi guys i have another plane to build & test the TL2000 ULTRALIGHT from www.austars-model.com
The plane has a fiberglass fuse & built up wings.The best thing i noticed about the fuse is it not very heavy like most fiberglass fuse planes i have had had or seen.The wings & rear stabs lined up very nicely which is great with a glass fuse.
The motor will be a spe26cc.I like the paint job & the covering & most of all the wing tips [8D]
The hardware it comes with is good so it will be all used.I will be giving the factory feed back on any thing to fix which i have not found any problems as yet
the alloy landing gear on the front is supper strong.I will post some more pics tonight of the inside & the wing bags it comes with
Wingspan: 2200mm
Motor: 26cc Petrol engine
Radio: 6-7 channels, 6-7 servos
Navigation lites on wings! Series plane includes EP TL2000 Ultralight.
Lightweight fiberglass and plywood construction. Vacuumformed ABS wheel and accessories, clear building instructions in English.Pre-covered in high quality polyester film. Large wingarea for extra lift. Strong landing gear
Wingspan: 1050mm
Wingarea: 17.6dm2
Length: 783 mm
regards glen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73730.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	876477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11719.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	876478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19299.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	876479  
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM
wifpwcf

Default RE: AUSTARS MODELS TL2000 ULTRALIGHT

hi guys geting a few things done now its going together great should have it flying this weekend coming.
cheers glen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20919.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	881986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78713.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	881987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16018.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	881988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35505.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	881989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88275.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	881990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13587.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	881991  
Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Mr DJ

Glen

Mr DJ here. What's goin' on, Mate?

You're building skills are lookin' good...

Keep the photos coming…

Mr DJ
Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 AM
wifpwcf

hi guys i have test flown the prototype TL200O from AUSTARS MODEL & i can say this is a wild plane.it flys very slow & does not stall the wings to easy.does good aerobatics
They are in production now so in the next 8 weeks should have them instock,the motor is a spe26cc.
I dont fly much scale stuff being a hard core 3d nuta but i really enjoyed flying this plane as you can see in the vid
we had a bad cross wind today but the plane was smooth on landing. no flaps used,the navagation lights work to
I would just like to thank austars for a very classy & stable plane to fly
cheers glen
[email protected]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tiVcMzul_w
Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
wifpwcf

Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
BillHarris

My business name is Giant Scale Replicas and it’s already mine on the web: www.giantscalerelicas.com
Check your spelling. The page comes up either as "not found" or you're redirected to a domain seller...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Mr DJ

ALL

Happy to introduce: Giant Scale Replicas. A possible US Distributor of Austars. It’s still a few months out but stay tuned…

Mr DJ
Owner
Old 12-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Lotsofcrashes

Hi Glen, this is a pretty old post now so I hope your still around and check in from time to time. I find this plane rather fascinating and have seen it at the Austars factory, only in a sealed box though.  There's not a lot of reviews on the net  so that makes it a bit of a gamble when buying a plane. I love the size of the cockpit and the access to servos etc. It seemed to fly reasonably well from the video I saw.

I have a couple of questions if thats okay. Firstly I cringe at front nose wheels as I fly from a grass runway and sometimes I end up in glass a couple of inches deep. That usually means it rips out the front wheel and needs reconstruction. Is this likely to happen with the TL200.

Secondly, do you get much lift out of those wings. Im an intermediate flyer and prefer something that lands softly if possible and has a bit of glide build into the plane.

Third, it looks a nice plane, but would you say it strong in construction. There are planes that are flimsy and you spend more time fixing them than flying them. So is the plane reasonably robust.

Last, do you actually have one of these or were you just doing some sort of review ??

Hope to hear from you soon.  
Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Lotsofcrashes

Hey Glen, wherever you are. I caught some of your 3d flying on the net last night, some club over in Mascot.  I assume it was you at the controls as I saw that cap you wear in most of them, coulden't see who was flying up close.

Anyway, 3D flying doesn't really do it for me, Im a bit of a newbie and torturing a plane that way makes flying seem a bit of a circus act, to me ! but the way you do it is mesmerising. The only description I can think of is 3D mixed with violence and it was awesome.
I would never have known you could fly like that from watching the Austar video of the TL2000. 
Now that you dont work for them, what is your honest opinion of that plane and Austars in general. Im  not looking to bag them out, its just that they sell some planes that are unbranded so to speak and it makes you wonder whether they are good quality models.
Ive had my eye on the Greens Gee Bee y as well but when I checked it out at the Austars factory the fuselage seemed very light weight and that worried me.
I dont like planes that fall apart with a bit of a bumpy landing or less than perfect runway. Thats why my eye strayed to the TL2000.

Yours is the only video on the net of the tl2000 and that says that they probably have not sold many. 
Can you fill me in a bit and answer my questions from the previous post. Id be obliged for some feedback.

Brett.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 AM
pc55bomber

t Lotsof
Glen is well out of the game now, moved on to other things, Cheers
Paul
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Lotsofcrashes

Thanks for the feedback Paul. So what do you move on to from with this hobby ??? And i thought it was addictive.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:49 AM
pc55bomber

Back to building speedway cars I think.

My mate has one of these planes and it flies nice, the front wheel was initially a problem but new modified ones were sent out by AS some time back. I nearly got one for myself.

Keep your eyes peeled, have a 96" Pawnee arriving tomorrow hopefully, that I am about to do a build thread on.
Check this one I am doing now on the new 120" Ag Husky from Austars.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9405882/tm.htm
Its addictive to me, bigtime.
Cheers
Paul
Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Lotsofcrashes

Hi Paul, It surprises me that Glen moved on, he looked like a good flyer and very into his niche part of the scene. 

Thats a big Husky you have there, too big for me and I have a pawnee but will look on with much interest if you post something. Your Pawnee would have to be better than Hangar 9s, oops.
So do you actually work for Austars. 
Im trying to get a picture as to what the company and their planes are all about. So far they seem reputable and their planes generally good, but without feedback from reviews and videos on you tube you start to wonder if they sell many planes or if their planes are good quality. I say that because Glen, and you talk of trialing new planes before they hit the production line and Im scratching my head thinking is the company a designer and manufacturer of planes, sort of like Hangar 9 ???

I could only ever find the one review that Glen did of the tl200 on the net and no feedback on the forums. You say that your friend has one, well that makes 2 out there. Did they sell many ?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
pc55bomber

Brett
He was a good pilot no doubt.

No.... I don't work for Austars just have some of their models, as do some of my friends.

I was lucky to be asked to review this model for them and its something I have been on the lookout for, for months, something scale that will take a 100cc that also doubles as a tow plane. The Husky fits the bill perfectly.
I also have the smaller 110" one and love it, flies fantastic but is on the very limit for towing the bigger gliders.
My son is the actual owner of the big Husky, I just get to build it and review it, although Trent will do a review for the magazines, probably the next issue.
Austars are marketing to the other non aerobatic large scale people and have some nice stuff.
The normal run of the mill aerobatic jobs are available on just about every street corner.
Large warbirds and civilian type (like Husky) are not that readily available and its good to see an Aussie vendor that has this type of selection available.

They are a reputable dealer and attend and sponsor the major events in scale around the traps.
I know they have sold lots of models in Oz and some O/S.

I am sure you would be happy with the TL, nearly got one myself, there are about 3 people locally that have them and are happy with the plane. Don't know how many they sold thou.

This new Husky (like the 110" one) was designed by Austars and manufactured in China, just like most co's do.
They import and resell as well.
All the big brand names do exactly the same.

Have been around this hobby for a while and have done the buy/sell/import/produce etc for a few years but not any more, retired due to crappy health and these 2 reviews will probably be the only ones I ever do.

The Pawnee was on offer for a review and as it is a bigger one than my H9 pawnee I jumped at the chance to do it. I believe it has already had a production run, so it will simply be a build review.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul

Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Lotsofcrashes

Hey Paul, seems you know them pretty well and they sound a decent company.  The TL caught my attention as I like the glass fuselage, the size and room in the cockpit area for setup and it did look a good flyer.  
I am reluctant to get a nose wheel plane though. In the smaller ones  that i have owned it was always getting damaged landing on grass. I prefer not to have to repair every time I fly. I dont know if its different though with a larger scale plane like this one. Can you tell me if your friends have had problems with theirs ?

Another plane that I like is the Gee Bee senior sportster which Austars sell as well. I dont suppose any of your club members have one of those ?  I have a 26 zenoah motor that eventually needs a home and I plan to get something like either of those planes, unusual in style, robust and aerobatic capable.  Thats not 3d, just nice basic aerobatics. Thats what i look for in a plane and robust is high on the list. The Gee Bee seems a bit light guage too so that could be a worry. It seems there are quite few running on electric which is a sign it could be light.

So, heres an interesting question, are you happy with the H9 Pawnee.  I thought for a plane that size, and with everyone putting bigger motors in them that it was structurally very light guage. Ive had to do a lot of repairs for little mishaps ( stalling ) when landing the plane. It took me a little while to actually get some flying time with it and realised it really sinks when you drop down throttle.  my last session was better and it came home in one piece  which was a treat.  
Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM
pc55bomber

Hi Brett
Have sent you a PM.
Nose wheels and grass don't have to be problem, quite a few different fix's available depending on your setup.
Your 26cc will fit the new 96" pawnee to a tee. It is arriving tomorrow.
Dont know about the GB (flying pig).

Yes I am happy with my H9 Pawnee, I got one of the first batch and have had no trouble at all.
As for its structural integrity its pretty good for a light airframe, its a small plane for an 80" span thou.
Lots of ARF planes are now using more laser cut ply and a smaller amount of balsa in the construction.
There are good ARF's and crap ones as well, same as brands.

I have the H9 P47 150 size with a 45cc gasser and this was the first H9 plane I bought, paid thru the nose for it and it was the worst finished plane I have. Lots of things did not fit together, holes were not lined up and the covering job was crap. Lots of things that take ages to fix.
But it is structurally sound and flies like a dream and will one day be recovered if it lasts.

Then on the other hand the H9 Pawnee was the cheapest very best ARF I have ever put together, everything fitted perfect and the finish is excellent everything was done correct right down to the tank fittings. I was impressed, and I made no improvement mods at all.
So theres 2 planes of the same brand at either end of the scale???????

Cheers
Paul