Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

GP Giant Big Stik, good first giant/gasser?

Hey guys I am a pretty good pilot just wanting to go bigger and first time with a gasser, is this a good choice?
    I bought a motor without a plane for it. I bought a plane without a motor for it...What has this hobby done to me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GP Giant Big Stik, good first giant/gasser?

This is exactly what I did when I moved into gas two years ago. Used the Fuji 32BT engine and it was a "bolt and go" installation as all of the engine mounting stuff was included
    with the aircraft along with specific instructions. Moved the battery packs to just behind the trailing edge of the wing for balance so I didn't have to add any dead weight. I am
    still flying this combo and it is a joy to fly. No cowl and everything being right out in the open is nice for a first gas airplane. If you get this combo (or use another gas engine) you can move the fuel tank back to mid-fuse position over the CG and not have it hidden in the nose.

You might get some "flak" about using the Fuji from some but my personal experience is that it is an excellent engine for this aircraft. Neither over nor under powered, balances without any hassle and the engine has run perfectly for me for two years. There are two other Fuji 32BT's in my club and one more in another club and they all perform without any problems that I am aware of.

This combo is about as simple as you can get for a first move into gas airplanes and still have something that will allow you to do a lot of "stuff". Nothing like a stick.

Dan
    Dan Taylor
    American Turf Flyers, Inc.
    Broken Arrow, OK
    (Somewhere near Tulsa)

See this is really wanted to hear for not a ton of money, and a simple set up. Later on i will advance to more complex things. I really do like this simple gas engine idea.
    I bought a motor without a plane for it. I bought a plane without a motor for it...What has this hobby done to me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree that this is a good first gasser. For that matter, it could be a good trainer. I have one that I have been flying for well over a year. I first had a US 41 on it and it flew great. I wanted to see what my G26 was made of so I mounted it. I only have one flight on it so far. So far, so good. It won't be over powered but I think it will be sufficient. The Giant Stick was my first gas plane too.

Brian
    Ultrasport Brotherhood #33

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking for comments on installation of OS BGX-1 (35cc) on my GP Giant Big Stik. Is it going to be too much engine? I know it will be burning lots of fuel but I'm more concerned about flying characteristics.

All comments welcome...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60008.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	919976  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Believe it or not a 25 cc weedie engine works pretty well on a 60-90 sized greatplanes ugly stick..shorten the nose, make it a tail dragger..keep as much radio weight towards the back..flies good..no bad habits...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rs670

Looking for comments on installation of OS BGX-1 (35cc) on my GP Giant Big Stik. Is it going to be too much engine? I know it will be burning lots of fuel but I'm more concerned about flying characteristics.

All comments welcome...
    How did the Giant Big Stik / BGX-1 work out? I've torn between a Irvine 150 and the BGX-1. I've flown the 60 size stik and "I think" it fly's better with a smaller .75 size engine. I've got the same concerns.

What brand/size tank did you use with the BGX in your stik?

I'm thinking about the same combo. Let us know....
    Club Saito member #715
    Club Jett member #12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes. The G.P. Stik is a good choice. Others would be the Maxford Mentor-G and the GP Giant Super Sportster.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a GP Giant Stick with an Evolution 26 up front and it is a very good combination for relaxing flying. A nice change from flying my aerobatic gassers.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I scratch built a stick . I think the span is 90" and I have a 45cc gaser on it. Getting ready to go fly it soon.

Name:	Nl29280.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	1786059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94913.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1786060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg93684.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	1786061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tm30217.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1786062  
    Epoxy Glass Fuselages, Short Kits & Fiberglass parts. Proudly made in the U.S.A. rcaiir.com
    email: rcaiir@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great job on the scratch built. What engine are you using? Like the aluminum firewall plate.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a GP big stick with a BCMA 43cc engine on it flys great, a BCMA 43 is a reworked spe43
    It\'\'s too bad that stupidity isn\'\'t painful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I do have the .60~.90 Big Stick on a 20cc RGC and using a Xoar 17x6 prop. The airframe came out to 9# even, I used the 80" Big Stick main landing gear (ordered this extra from Tower when I bought the ARF-for prop clearence) and this model goes up...like its tail feathers are on fire. Awesome combination and flys real sweet. I got great help too and this was my first gas model.
    Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Name:	Vs55638.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	1794821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94193.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	1794822  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used a kit built Joe Bridi Old Timer and a Syssa 30.
    Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Giant Stik with a DLE 30 for me. My first gasser. Made it a tail dragger and I have about 30 flights on it. I got it to use as a warbirds trainer and flap trainer. Very pleased in all aspects.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have about 20 flights on a GP giant big stick with a DLE 55. Had to bend up some longer aluminum gear to get decent prop clearance with that motor. Flies beautifully and with the much motor it is a kick in the pants. 20 foot takeoffs, go vertical, and up and out of sight. Been having a really good time with this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
    I do have the .60~.90 Big Stick on a 20cc RGC and using a Xoar 17x6 prop. The airframe came out to 9# even, I used the 80'' Big Stick main landing gea (ordered this extra from Tower when I bought the ARF-for prop clearence) and this model goes up...like its tail feathers are on fire. Awesome combination and flys real sweet. I got great help too and this was my first gas model.
    Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    Thats Mt. Haleakala in the background. Absolutely enchanted Island. The Trade winds must keep it interesting.

Regards
    denwag
    http://siferc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Padllock,
    That picture is looking NNW towards McGreger Point...Haleakala is more south...but your correct, the winds play havoc with our models. Trade winds are a good 10 ~ 15kts average and will hit by nine in the morning usually. Our field is in the old WWII corsair recetment area and it has some real WWII history. A good field really and lots of over run area too. One must be comfortable flying with winds and turbulant air, for that is all you usually get here. But ever so often the wind gods lay down...and no matter what, its a really beautiful place to fly. I love the Ugly Stick for its wonderful landing and take off performance and how rock solid they all are. I've been flying this model for many years and its one of my all time fun planes. We have a good club, some real talented flyers and some great kit and scratch builders in the club.

Hope to see you at the field,
    Bob Paris
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got (6) flights on my GUS with the DLE 35 and absolutely love it! It is my first large scale plane and first gasser. Perfect combination and flies like a dream - but it's a Stick, they do fly GREAT!