Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

ORIGINAL: cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

I have been following this thread from the start and as Saul has indicated it is a great wealth of information for all, but certainly to those who have and will acquire this model.

I don't want to take away from this thread since it is a C-182 build. I have always been interested in having a 1/3rd or 35% Cessna 185 but haven't had the required amount of time for the drawings and of course the build. So, I had contacted Tommy from TMMY Composites a while ago and enquired regarding the possibility of him adding a 35% C-185 to his fleet. He was certainly very interested and subsequently took on the project. I have had many conversations and sent a "ton" of drawings and full size pictures of the aircraft over the e-mail re design, design changes, panel line detail, rivet detail etc. etc. etc.

So yes, there will be a 35 % Cessna 185 available from him shortly for those interested in the model or adding it to your C-182 fleet.
Tommy is completing the plugs now and then will move to the molds.

The changes in the mold from the C-182 will include, minor changes for the wing to now resemble C-185, minor changes in the stabilizer and elevator re the appearance of the C-185 and major changes to the fuselage, (cowling, windscreen, side windows, aft section of the fuselage, fin,rudder and of course landing gear etc.).

As mentioned before not to confuse the issue with this thread I will start up another re the Cessna 185 build. I'll let let those know who are interested of the R/C Universe build contact title. I am awaiting pictures from him re his progress and will add them to the thread.

Oh yes, I am also a float flyer of full size and large size model aircraft over here in Canada, and yes my 35% C-185 will be outfitted with floats and yes I do have a builder here in Canada who will fabricate floats for the model for those also interested. The floats are approx. 7 feet in length.

Attached are a few pics of the full size C-185 both on wheels and floats. Paint colours, and designs are as wide a range that you wish to go.

Will be in touch.

Regards
Randy

Way to go Randy,I've been watching this thread for awhile now also and have been considering the C-182 from Tommy.I would really prefer a C-180/185 though also.I bet there are a lot of C-180 or 185 fans out there just waiting for something like this.What kind of floats are you looking at getting done Edo's or Wipeline?What about amphibs?Thats the option I would like...
Ever since I lost my Hang9 182 I've been wanting another Cessna ,count me in.
I also got my full size private licence flying a Super Cub on floats back in the 80's and have a Challenger2 that was on floats so a 35% 185 on Wiper amphibs or even straight Edos would be awesome.I have a DA-150 on the shelf waiting for an airplane and I think a 185 on floats would be a perfect home for it.
Steve
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Hello all,

I have decided to beat Ozflyboi to the punch & post video of his maiden flight of the TMMY Cessna 182 because we have all been waiting anxiously for it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3zrUjLtcrI

Enjoy,

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Vid, Saul...

For you gents excited about the 185kool beans, but it just don't do anything for me. I like tail draggers but not on a Cessna. The photos of real one with floats looks nice, but I'll take a tri-gear any day.

Steve-when you read this: did you ever fly full throttle? And have you tached your full throttle RPMs? I still may do the DA 170 although the 150 flies her well.

As for my Man, Tommy, his next project for me is the SR-71. A ways out-I'm in no hurry.

Cheers...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
slevin1

Mr DJ,

If you love an SR-71 then check out this build. Codename: The Sled.

http://astro.umsystem.edu/mmrca/lance/sledframe.html

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Mr DJ

Saul

That's the very one I sent to Tommy

Oh yeah...baby...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 PM
slevin1

Mr. DJ,
I just bought this:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/newuairfonad.html

That makes plane # 41. I think I have a problem. I think I need to attend AA..... Airplanes Anonymous.

Here is an inexpensive SR-71 to practice with until the big one arrives:

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...&products_id=8

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Mr DJ

Saul

Only 41?

Are all your babies small or big ticket items?

I got back in this freakin' hobby in Nov 05; from that date through today, I've done at least $90K and I still have $30K in turbine engines alone to buy. Now I don't have 41 planes, but I have truly lost my damn mind [][:@]

I like the first plane you listed but I'm no fan of Nitro-hope you have best of luck with yours but all their planes are scrapie material

I like that small SR-71 but electrics just don't do it for me, but maybe if I had done only electrics, I'd still have a penny in my pocket.

But for you, yeah, you need to attend something
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GERAT VID SAUL..... I AM STILL WAITING ON MINE[:@]. I CANT EVER SEAM TO GET STEVE AT AUSTRA TO SEND ME EMAILS BACK WHEN I SEND THEM TO HIM. HE TOLD ME IT WOULD BE READY THE MIDDLE OF MARCH AND WE ARE COMING INTO THE TAIL END OF IT NOW. DID YOU PUT BRAKES ON YOURS? I HOPE TO HAVE THE PLANE UP AND FLYING BY JOE NAUL IF IT SHOWS UP.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
slevin1

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

Saul

Only 41?

Are all your babies small or big ticket items?

I got back in this freakin' hobby in Nov 05; from that date through today, I've done at least $90K and I still have $30K in turbine engines alone to buy. Now I don't have 41 planes, but I have truly lost my damn mind [][:@]

I like the first plane you listed but I'm no fan of Nitro-hope you have best of luck with yours but all their planes are scrapie material

I like that small SR-71 but electrics just don't do it for me, but maybe if I had done only electrics, I'd still have a penny in my pocket.

But for you, yeah, you need to attend something

DJ,

Mine run the gammit. From free flight to plans for a 50% scale Cesna 152. For those that have 40 or more planes I think I'm going to start a group therapy program and each time after we meet, we all go to a hobby shop to celebrate. You know you have a problem when you sneak a new kit in the house & find something, ANYTHING, to cover the box.

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 PM
slevin1

Tshark,

Sorry but I don't have one yet. Ask Mr. DJ if his has brakes. He just got his recently.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking what did Austars Models charge you for the Cessna? Their website says $14,900.00 which is INSANE considering you can get it directy from TMMY Scale Composites for about $1,500.00.

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
TSHARK203

IT WAS NOT $140000 BUT IT WAS MORE THAN $1500. I WISH I HAD GONE THOUGH TOMMY DIRECTLY. I TAKE IT YOU GOT YOUR DIRECTLY FROM TOMMY. I PAID VIA PAYPAL I GUESS I COULD GO THROGHT THE REFUND PROCESS WITH THEM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
TSHARK203

IT WAS $3700 SHIPPED
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM
slevin1

Tshark,
I would suggest e-mailing Tommy first & see what the cost would be with shipping before asking for a refund. It may be the same price. Tommy will ship it to you via slow boat or FedEx.

Personally, when I do order mine, I'm going directly to Tommy simply because I can. This is NOT a knock against Austars Models. I know nothing about the company other than what they have on their website.

Saul
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 PM
TSHARK203

WELL THE ONLY REASON I WOULD ASK FOR THE REFUND AT THIS POINT IS DUE TO LACK OF COMMUNIACTION. I WILL SEND AN EMAIL (3 OR 4)DOWN TO STEVE AT AUSTRA AND IT MAY TAKE 3-4 DAYS TO GET A REPLY IF I GET ONE. YOU JUST CANT RUN A BUSINESS LIKE THAT IN THIS AGE OF INSTANT AND REAL TIME COM. IF SOMEONE SENDS ME A EMAL THEY HAVE ONE BACK IN HOURS IF NOT MINUTES. I EVEN TOLD STEVE THAT BUT I DONT THINK IT SUNK IN. BUT THAT IS NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM. I WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE THE PLANE MID MARCH. WHEN I GOT ON THE FORM AND FOUND THE TREAD HERE AND WAS ABLE TO EMAIL TOMMY HE TOLD ME HE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT 1ST OFF NOR DID HE HAVE THE 30+ PICS I SENT TO STEVE. SO I HAD TO SEND THEM ALL OVER TO TOMMY DIRECTLY. I EMAIL STEVE OH ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN A REPLY BACK ABOUT THAT. SO NOW I AM WAITING ON TOMMY TO LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY ORDER. I AM GLAD I ONLY PAID A DEPOSIT AND NOT THE FULL BALANCE. I JUST WISH THAT STEVE WOULD EMAIL ME AND KEEP ME INFORMED WITH WHAT IS GOING ON.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 AM
wiz310

We just purchased a plane from Austars and were disappointed with many aspects of the transaction. one was the lack of communication. another was the time promised against the time taken for delivery. There are other concerns as well. Such a shame, as there was so much potential for that company. seems to be going wrong for them right now.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
TSHARK203

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one. how long did it take for you to get it?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I sense a number of you are unhappy with Austars.

One thing you have to keep in mind with this big cessna is that it is manufactured in Thailand and therefore the builder himself is only able to commit to building a few kits at a time.

My advice to you is to be patient and try to understand that TMMY Composite is doing their best to get the kits out as fast as possible.

I too had to wait for my Cessna however when it did arrive it was well worth the wait. I do not know of anyone who is currently building composite models in this size.

As to your communication issues with Austars, I agree this will need to be addressed.

Saul, Thanks for posting my video on the forum as I was hoping to do this myself. You beat me to it.

Steve
Old 03-22-2009, 03:27 PM
johnnyarvika

Hello Guys.

Take it easy.
This is no ordinary ARF as they build in 2min and 38sek.
I waited 18 months. foor my Cessna.
I was not home and drink coffee during this time, I was out flying my airplane.
Take it easy.
In Thailand they take summer vacation in the winter, in January.
Take it easy.
What they not build to day, they do it tomorrow, what they not build tomorrow, take do it next week.

Reg. Johnny.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
TSHARK203

I UNDERSTAND THAT BUT THEY NEED TO ANSWER EMAILS AT LEAST WHEN THEY GET THEM AND NOT MAKE PROMOISES THEY CANT KEEP WITH DELIVERY DATES.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Ozflyboi

Hi Shark,

These models require quite a bit of work and I would not be pushing blame onto Austars for the delays in receiving you model as they are only a distributor for TMMY Composite.

Perhaps clearer communication between Austars and TMMY and the prospective customer is what is required to ensure the order is fullfilled within an agreed timeframe.

As long as they provide a date that is realistic and can be met and if not this needs to be communicated immediately to the customer to clarify any uncertainties.

I will be meeting Steve (Austars) in the near future at a scale flying event and I can discuss and address the above concerns with him.

In the meantime I would like provide you with some confidence that you will get your aircraft just it may take a little longer than you expect. This is most certainly not a mass production supplier so it is unfair to expect that of TMMY Composite.

I was very eager to receive my cessna and when I did finally receive it I can only tell you that I was amazed at how much time and effort had actually gone into the model at production.

The scale appearance of this model is so realistic and the design features such as the empenage assembly is quite clever and very strong.

For a Large Scale ARF model i would have to say that I am unsure if this should be a mass produced kit as this is a giant size model. I do not like the idea of flying something that is mass produced and ie poorly designed - could incurr inflight structural failures.

I have to give Tommy at TMMY a very big applause as to the time effort he has gone into designing and producing this model.

I hope more avid aeromodellers will be able to experience this model as I have.

Thats my 2 cents for now.

Steve

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows;

For those interested in the C-185 I have started a new build thread on the R/C Universe forum. It is under Giant Scale Aircraft-General and I have named it CESSNA 185 35% TMMY COMPOSITE.

I will certainly remain following this thread, I hope to have a C-182 in my hangar with the C-185.
Anyway, one at a time for now.

"See you on the other side".

Regards
Randy
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 PM
slevin1

Steve,

I hope you don't mind me posting the video. I stumbled upon it on You Tube & got very excited. Your video gives a great perspective of not only the wonderful flight characteristics but of the size of the plane. Your paint scheme is very nice.

All,

I also agree with Steve. The important thing to keep in mind is that manufactures like TMMY & distributors like Austars are small business run by individuals who more often than not work other full time jobs. They are cottage industries. While I do agree thought that communication is critical especially when you have put forth a deposit, you my not get the prompt response you would get from say Great Planes or Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobby or Hobby Lobby. These are businesses that have staff dedicated to customer service. With the smaller model airplane businesses, some patience is required at times.

One of the major reason why I stared this forum is to provide an opportunity to help generate not only interest but also some business for TMMY. Many of these cottage industries like TMMY are willing to design & produce kits & ARF's that are off the beaten path. These are planes that you would normally not find at the large companies mentioned above either due to size, design, or both. I think we can all agree that there is a certain coolness factor in owing a plane not like the 20 others you see at many of the clubs & Fly-Inns.

So Tshark my advise to you is this: Send him another e-mail requesting an update. Wait about a week or 2. If there is still no response then try reaching him by phone. Perhaps Ozflyboi (Steve) might be able to get you the number since he lives in Australia. I hope this helps.

Saul

BTW:
Here are some other cottage industries that have other neat aircraft:

Fly2Build.com offers a 100" Spruce Goose
http://www.thefinishcrew.com/FLY2BUILD/index.html

Air-C-Race offers some unique race aircraft including a giant scale version of the Burt Rutan design called the Pond Racer.
http://www.air-c-race.de/

42 Percent Products
http://www.42-percent-products.com/index.html

Here is a website dedicated to building a fuselage jig:
http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Con.../FJConstr.html

Altecare offers some unique looking jets. Two that are shown on their website is an SR-71 and a HUGE Falcon 7X business jet:
http://www.altecarerc.com/

Equinox R/C offers a HUGE P-47 as well as FREE plan downloads for 5 giant scale aircraft:
http://www.mnbigbirds.com/

K&A Models offer some unique looking EDF jets including the Burt Rutan ARES fighter jet.
http://www.kamodels.com/

Here is some video from You Tube with Burt Rutan describing the jet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9LlHcX8lg

Hope these help.

Saul
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM
TSHARK203

HEY GUYS
I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH TMMY OR AUSTRA IN FACT TOMMY ANSWERS EMAILS RIGHT A WAY. EVEN IF THE BUSINESS IS A SMALL, HOME BASED, WHAT EVER THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT RETURING AN EMAIL. EVEN IF THE EMAIL SAYS F-OFF IT IS STILL A REPLY BACK. I GUESS MOST OF US HAVE GOTTEN SPOILED WITH INSTANT INFO, INSTANT NEWS, INSTANT COFFEE...LOL. AN BEING THAT AUSTRA IS A SMALL BUSINESS THAT MEANS THEY SHOULD WORK EVEN HARDER THAN THE NEXT GUY, I KNOW I DO WITH MINE. YOU HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY. STEVE GAVE ME A TIME FRAME, AND IF HE SEES IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THE A POLITE EMAIL IS NICE. HEY MAN THERE IS A DELAY YOU WILL SEE IT IN 3 WEEKS, 3 MONTHS, 3 YEARS, WHAT EVER. THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT THIS PLANE WAS BECASUE OF THE QUAILTY I SAW IN THE PIC I DONT MIND WAITING BUT I DONT LIKE BEING JERKED AROUND. JMO. OH SAUL AND STEVE HOW MUCH DO YOUR BIRDS WEIGH?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
F-15J_JSDF

ORIGINAL: TSHARK203

HEY GUYS
I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH TMMY OR AUSTRA IN FACT TOMMY ANSWERS EMAILS RIGHT A WAY. EVEN IF THE BUSINESS IS A SMALL, HOME BASED, WHAT EVER THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT RETURING AN EMAIL. EVEN IF THE EMAIL SAYS F-OFF IT IS STILL A REPLY BACK. I GUESS MOST OF US HAVE GOTTEN SPOILED WITH INSTANT INFO, INSTANT NEWS, INSTANT COFFEE...LOL. AN BEING THAT AUSTRA IS A SMALL BUSINESS THAT MEANS THEY SHOULD WORK EVEN HARDER THAN THE NEXT GUY, I KNOW I DO WITH MINE. YOU HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO KEEP YOUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY. STEVE GAVE ME A TIME FRAME, AND IF HE SEES IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THE A POLITE EMAIL IS NICE. HEY MAN THERE IS A DELAY YOU WILL SEE IT IN 3 WEEKS, 3 MONTHS, 3 YEARS, WHAT EVER. THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT THIS PLANE WAS BECASUE OF THE QUAILTY I SAW IN THE PIC I DONT MIND WAITING BUT I DONT LIKE BEING JERKED AROUND. JMO. OH SAUL AND STEVE HOW MUCH DO YOUR BIRDS WEIGH?

Do not worry it happens with LARGE USA companies also ... I build Electric Vehicles for a Hobby and the number of time I have emailed US companies about Motors, controllers and Batteries and have not got a reply has pissed me off to no end. I now REFUSE to do any business with any US company, They either NEVER email back or when they see I live in Japan the PRICE of the GOODS double. .. a ETrek motor will be for sale at $450 but when I ask for shipping to Japan the Motor becomes $990 Plus $300 Shipping. They can shove that up their back passage!

Only deal with European or Australian companies now, at least they reply to my emails and do not jack up the price.[:@] because I live in Japan.

Go Samurai Japan in the WBC!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 AM
bignuts181

Hi there Slevin if I'm not mistaken the $14,900+ price tag refers to Austars prototype ready to run with DA 150 etc. But your rite it is rediculous, more so that it doesn't mention the vital information on the web site, the same thing happened with the husky a few months back. And your also rite about the bad comunication and if the company can rise to the occasion it could easily be the biggest in the land with the best range of products....... it's all about attention to detail, look after the little things and the big ones will look after themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.