Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM
richblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TMMY Scale Composites 35% scale Cessna

Hi-
I had the 1/5 Cessna, sold it several years ago. The quality is fine, scale looks great - but what many don't realize about "small" all-composite models is they are often heavier than a traditionally built model. No problem, but this for instance means using flaps and power during landing due to a higher sink rate.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
slevin1
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took Tommy a couple of days to get back to me each time I e-mailed him but he was very helpful I haven't actually ordered it. When I e-mailed Tommy a couple of weeks ago he told me he has it in stock & that he could have it shipped via Fed-Ex to my door in 4 days. He could also have it shipped via boat at for far less than what it would cost to send via Fed-Ex but it would take about 42 days.

He also informed me that the finish is white. I don't mind it because I would prefer to paint it myself.

He is Tommy's e-mail:
[email protected]

Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 AM
steve2972
My Feedback: (2)

Yes,just got an email from him.I may go with the 1/5th cessna first,$700 + shipping

Thanks for your info,

Steve
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM
slevin1

Not a problem. Let me know about the kind of customer service you receive from TMMY Scale Composites.

Saul
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Fellows;

Just jumping onboard your thread. Good discission and great pics of the Tmmy C-182. I presenlty fly large sized models both on wheels and floats, saw the Austar C-182 they are coming out with and lined up a set of floats that would be perfect for the model.

Then came along the Tmmy 35% sure does look nice on wheels, as mentioned I would also put it on floats, however I would have to build up the float myself due to the size of the model. As Saul indicated I do like the idea of painting the trim colours myself.

Have to make my mind up between the two models!!!!

Just a few questions:

1) Where are the Tmmy models manufactured, is it in Thailand.
2) Any idea what the shipping cost would be via Fed Ex to North America, and does Tommy ship the model in a wooden crate etc.
3) Is anyone aware of a composite Cessna 185 in the 28% or 35% size?

That's it for now, looking forward to the discussion and building thread once someone receives their model.

Regards
Randy
Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
slevin1

Hi Randy,

-As far as I know it's Thailand.
-As far as shipping I would e-mail Tommy. He was kind enough to quote me 2 prices for shipping & I'm sure he would be more than happy to do the same for you: One was door to door shipping via Fed-Ex that would take 4 days & the other was having it shipped via ship which would take about 42 days & I would just pick it up at the Port of Baltimore.
-Finally, the only other company I know of that offers composite Cessna is Austar Models. The 120" cessna that they sell is either 26% or 28% scale. Here is a link to a company that sells plans for scratch building many different Cessna. I am currently building the Hostetler Plans Cessna 152.
[link]http://www.hostetlersplans.com[/link]

Hope this Helps.
Saul

PS- Pardon me if I don't reply for the next week or so. I'm off to the Joe Nall Fly-In!! :-)
Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
cgcrc

Hi Saul;

Just back in from the weekend, thanks for the info.
E-mailed Tommy who will give me an idea Monday of shipping to where I am in Canada.

Thanks for the info re Hostetler plans, I have the Cessna 172 plan myself along with some of the fabricated windshield and cowling, just have to get down to business re the building.
Not to load up this thread, but I would be interested on your Cessna 152 build.

The lakes where I am have turned back into "liquid" after the winter and now time for float flying.

Presently flying a DHC-2 Beaver, see attached pic.
Sure would like to have a Tmmy Cessna to add to the fleet. Just have to figure out the float issue !!!!

Regards
Randy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47839.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	947756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29493.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	947757  
Old 05-17-2008, 11:02 PM
slevin1

Beautiful Beaver!!!!! I just got back from the Joe Nall & they had a 180lb all metal Beaver with a 400cc Moki 5 cylinder radial that was shipped from Germany. As far as the 152 build I will not be posting any pics of the build as I have stopped & started that project over the past 10 years & currently I'm in stop mode.

Saul
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 AM
cgcrc

Hi Saul;

Thanks for the comment re the Beaver, it's a pretty good flyer now but did require a fair bit of trimming.
Sorry I missed the large metal Beaver, I know the one you are refering to. I followed that build for a while. It was built by a German fellow, Harald Mueller. Harald owns his own metal fabrication business and has access to all the CAD programs and laser cutters etc.

Outstanding craftsmanship and knowledge to produce the model. His web page is www.mhm-scale-aircraft.com, he has two videos of the model plus numerous pics of the build.

Still deciding between the Austar C-182 and TMMY. (Both have pros and cons).

Was reviewing the pics of the Tmmy, C-182 and wanted your thoughts on the canister installation for the 3w 157. I would like to use a canister system as opposed straight mufflers due to noise. However, most models that I have built of this size with canisters requires an area to exhaust the heat. I e-mailed Tommy who sent me a few pics of the installation however it looks like the heat is contained in the cabin area.

(see attached photos)
Didn't want to start cutting holes in the bottom of the fuse.

With no outlet I'm sure the heat would be significant. The model in the pic also used hydraulics for the surface movements. I would use straight servos of a size that would suitable for each surface.

Let me know your thoughts on the heat issue re the canister system.

Regards
Randy

Name:	Tq48767.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	951876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85039.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	951877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34950.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	951878  
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM
slevin1

I agree with you on the servo use for all the control surfaces. I had no idea he had installed hydraulics. That is pretty cool though that Tommy was able to engineer that type of system. It's the 1st time I have ever heard of an R/C model using hydraulics. I would ask Tommy if the plane can be flown with servos or does it have to use the hydraulics.

As far as the canisters are concerned, as long as air is passing over them, you don't need to cut holes in the fuse as long as you use the type of canisters shown in the pics. All most half of the canister sits ahead of the firewall so it is being cooled by the air passing out the bottom of the cowl. If additional cooling is needed all you need to do is create some holes in the firewall just above the canister opening. With those canisters shown in the pics most of the hot exhaust is exiting out the front of the canister. The rest of the canister is there simply to deaden the sound. It is my understanding that with those types of canisters you really don't need to provide extensive cooling there-by negating the need to carve up the fuselage.

Keep in mind that if the Austar 182 is not set up for cans you will have to to a lot of mods. More & more R/C fields are requiring pilots that have planes w/ gas engines to take steps to decrease the noise levels. At least the TMMY 182 is canister ready which will speed assembly. Furthermore, it is evident that the aircraft was designed for cans & this is important to keep in mind because planes that are not designed for cans & have to be modified to accept cans become nose heavy which ultimately affects flying characteristics.

Saul
Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
cgcrc

Hi Saul;

Thanks for the info. Had contacted Tommy who indicated that the model was experimental re the hydraulics. It can be flown with high torque servos.

Also asked him about the heat re the canister system. He indicated that there wasn't that much heat inside the cabin but did mention he would recommend an insulating floor panel over the cans due to the cockpit interior. Don't know if he boxed it in. Certainly didn't want to start cutting into the fuse.
Most models of that size that I'm familiar with have the heat exhaust holes in the bottom of the fuse if the cans are boxed.

The issue of noise is certainly a concern at many flying fields today thus the reason for cans instead of mufflers.

Agreed, re the Austar model, I have a Zenoah G-62 that I believe would fit in that model, stock exhaust etc. Alot of work to re fit for cans.
The Austar C-182 is a good sized model plus I can presently get floats that would fit it.
However the Tmmy model is certainly intriguing due to its size, appearance and opprtunity for builders colour selection and paint scheme etc. (Lots to consider).

Regards
Randy
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
slevin1

Randy,

Not to mention it's tremendous detail. Besides, it's sheer size is where the cool factor really kicks in. In giant scale modeling, size maters. :-)

Saul
Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
johnnyarvika

Hello.

I am the ovner of the big Cessna 182.
Its fly like a 40-trainer or better. In 2007 I hawe 3 flights whith it.
Its hawe a 4-cyl boxer 150cc gasoline.
www.sawo-motoren.de
No he bilt a new engine foor mee. 6-cyl boxer 225cc.
If you like to now enyting abote the model you can email me.
[email protected]

Reg. Johnny.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 AM
slevin1

Johnny,
I am so glad you have posted!! Question, did Tommy provide you with good customer service? When you placed the order for the plane did it arrive in a timely fashion & in good condition? What method of delivery did you choose? Via ship? Fed-Ex? UPS? Did Tommy paint your plane or did you paint it yourself? Was it difficult to assemble? Were there any problems with the plane? Could you please post pics of your plane & please post pics of your engine installation in the Cessna. Thank you again for posting.

Saul
Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM
johnnyarvika

Hello Saul.

I can tell you lots of thing, but not in this forum.
Send me a e.mail.

Reg. Johnny.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 PM
cgcrc

Hi Saul;

Have you sent an e-mail to Johnny yet.
I have been in touch with him, nice fellow.
My email address is [email protected] send me a message.

Regards
Randy
Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 AM
slevin1

Hi Randy,

Actually I emailed him just before I started this forum. That's how I was able to get all the pics & info. I haven't emailed him in a couple of months because I got all the info I needed on the plane. The last time I e-mailed him was to tell him that I had started the forum on the Cessna. When are you thinking you might get the plane?

Saul
Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 PM
cgcrc

Hi Saul;

Was thinking of getting the model soon, however still "hung up" on a few issues.

1) Cooling set up of the canister system for the 3w 157. As previously mentioned keeping the cans in an enclosed area with no air going over the cans and exhausting has me a little concerned re heat build up and over heating of the engine.

My supplier of 3w also took a look at the can set and indicated there should be about 1" opening around the can to get air into the cabin and then a 4"x6" opening in the bottom of the fuse.
"Ouch", that's what I didn't want to do on a scale model.

2) The other was selection of engine. I know the prototype was flown with a 3w 157 however Johnny from Sweden indicated his 150 may be a little under powered and will be installing a 225 cc 6 cylinder box engine. (Nice engine).

3) Manufacture and shipping dates, but that would be confirmed by Tmmy.

4) Would purchase it in primer or plain white, I think there may be some touch up along the way etc.

Will keep you posted.

Regards
Randy

Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM
johnnyarvika

Hello.

May new engine foor the Cessna.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqn49MGRuTw
I love it.

Reg. Johnny.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: johnnyarvika

Hello.

May new engine foor the Cessna.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqn49MGRuTw
I love it.

Reg. Johnny.
That rocks, where did you get that engine? How much USD?
that is cool.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
johnnyarvika

Hello.

The engine is from Germany.
www.sawo-motoren.de.
Pric. 4000.- euro.
225cc 6-cyl. boxer. gasolin. 4-stoke.
Turn a 30-14 at 5100 rpm.

Reg. Johnny.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
slevin1

Randy,
Make sure he crates the entire model & writes on the crate "Do not use forklift. Model airplane inside crate."

Saul
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
johnnyarvika

Hello.

Som fotos of the engine install the plane.
Maybee.

Reg. Johnny.

Name:	Zx71887.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	964953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41383.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	964954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93040.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	964955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35383.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	964956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77791.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	964957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73098.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	964958  
Old 06-08-2008, 03:00 AM
slevin1

Johnny from Arvika, Sweden has been gracious enough to provde me w/ some photos (thank you Johnny) of his 35% scale Cessna from TMMY. His was the 1st one produced by TMMY. The one major piece of advise he gave me was to make sure that TMMY ships the plane in a crate to prevent any possible damage. Johnny infomed me that he painted the plane himself & as of June 5th 2008, he will be removing it's current engine which is a Sawo flat four 150cc four-stroke boxer & installing a Sawo 225cc flat six four-stroke boxer. Both are gas engines & sound amazing!! Here is a link for videos on You Tube of both of the engines: [link]http://www.youtube.com/user/p51doldcrow[/link]
Here are the photos. Enjoy!

Name:	Wu59689.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	966148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84744.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	966149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73651.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	966150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27538.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	966151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93372.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	966152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92194.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	966153  
Old 06-08-2008, 10:34 AM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

That is an awesome airplane for sure! I can't believe the engine is running with the transmitter sitting beside the plane and a kid standing beside the prop turning. Oh well, thats a whole "nother" story! Very nice airplane!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.