Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cub build thread...

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cub build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:47 PM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cub build thread...

ORIGINAL: arr

Hello to all members of this very helpful piper forum,

i thinking about to buy and built this big piece of wonderful piper !!
But i dont know if it possible for me to take it with me to the airfield in my car (of course wings removed ;-)))).
What i know so far is : lenght is not the problem, but if i look at your pictures i am worried about the height if the landing gear is installed.

It seems to be a really big airplane.
Please can somebody measure the height from ground to the top of the cowling and to the top of the fuselage???

Thx in advance

and greetings from BERLIN/Germany

Arnim
Hello Arnim,

The cowl measures 18cm high, the height from the bottom of the fuselage to the top of the wing is 35cm and the height with gear installed is 52cm.
Yes, it is a big airplane, but it sure is pretty!!!! I am really looking forward to flying it.

All the best,

HornetFitter
...In Canada
Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
maddog 71

Hello everyone Im back with the final pics of my freinds H-9 with pegusus 4 cyl in it we flew it today and it flew beautiful weighed in at 19 pds swinging a TF 20X8 wood prop this thing really flies nice!Props to hanger 9 here are the pics for your veiwing pleasure!
Maddog
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62622.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	976452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75106.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	976453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42370.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	976454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24561.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	976455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51198.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	976456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80007.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	976457  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
HornetFitter

Maddog, those pix are exellent! I love the way that Pegasus engine looks in that Cub!

I have just finished the basic build on the CUb and just have to set the flight control throws prior to the maiden flight. It is going to have to wait for a few days because I will be on my way to Arctic THunder in Anchorage, Alaska on Thursday. Should be a nice trip, as we are planning some low level glacier flying in the F-18... Yep... It is gonna be sweet!
I will post more pix when I get home on the 30th...

Cheerz,

HornetFitter

[link]http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-080522-106.wmv[/link]
Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
maddog 71

Sweet wished I could be there looks like fun Hey why ur there say hello to my aunt she and her family live in Eagle river its just outside Anchourage thats a place I would like to see someday! have a good flight and have lots of fun
Maddog
Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM
HornetFitter

ORIGINAL: maddog 71

Sweet wished I could be there looks like fun Hey why ur there say hello to my aunt she and her family live in Eagle river its just outside Anchourage thats a place I would like to see someday! have a good flight and have lots of fun
Maddog
If they get to the show, myself and Vlad will be hangin' out at the Canadian CF-18 Hornet. Have them stop by and say hey!
(I'd hate to have to ask every lovely lady there if they are Maddog's Aunt) -

Cheerz,
HornetFitter
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 AM
J-3

Thanks a million HornetFitter, I have been gone on vacation and then started working lots overtime, sorry it took so long to say thanks, I appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks again....Brian
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 AM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

ok I finnally got mine Ordered with the Floats!!!! the only difference will be the motor mine will be Called Piper Cub J-3D.
A Brisson 2.4 going in it!!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Wilki01

Well, I finally got in a full day of flying and WOW, is all I can say about my Cub. That Zen 26cc EI is one sweet running engine. With Master Airscrew Classic 18x8 it just purrs like a kitten all day.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi All,

The instructions are silent on this issue, but I assume you have to glue the seat backs to the seat bases? What is the correct glue to use on the shiny, smooth, plastic to make a permanent bond?

Thanks,

John
Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 PM
61ahs

Hi John,

Page 33 of the manual says to glue the seat backs to the bottoms with medium CA.

Ric
Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Ric,

I figured as much - thanks!!. I actually have the P-n-P version, and the manual definitely does not mention anything about gluing the seats!

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

Anybody have the ARF version in stock? I have been calling a few places with no luck.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
mobyal

The Horizon people say to Google the H9 "part" number for it, and there'll be a list of shops come up that may have it. Then start calling.
That's how I found my Pawnee and B25...
Al
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 AM
HornetFitter

Just got home from Arctic Thunder in Anchorage, Alaska. The trip was awsome and we flew in to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory on the way there. We were a static display, so we rolled up a set of boarding stairs and let everyone come up and have a look at the cockpit and to ask questions. Got some awsome video and pix of glaciers, mountains and blurry ones of fishing boats and whales (low level) on the way in to Juneau, Alaska on the way home. We were also tasked to do the flypast over two Alberta Cities (Ft. MacMurray and Cold Lake) on the way home on July 1st (Equivilent to July 4th in the US). Got some amazing pix and video of the show and the flying. The enire trip was an opportunity to be proud to wear the uniform of the Canadian AirForce.
Here is a Youtube video link to the show. We brought CF-18 # 915 (minute 1:51 in the video)
[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=p1kkAOqMcAA&feature=related[/link]

I'll post some pix and vids of my own once I get them uploaded.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09 AM
charrua

ORIGINAL: MLC

Anybody have the ARF version in stock? I have been calling a few places with no luck.

I got mine last Friday from Chief Aircraft!!! but I got the Floats on backorder with them!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

charrua,

I check with Chief but, they wanted a good amount of money for shipping. I bought a 33% from them awhile back and it was not like that then, but they are all the way across the country from me so it does make sense.

I found one at Graves RC in Orlando, should be to my front door by the end of next week. I have been in their store a half dozen times and have always had a good experence, so was glad to purchase from them.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
charrua

Well I got the Cub today and the floats are in backorder and the ycharged me $33 for shipping the plane and I guess arround $20 when they ship the floats I was sort of pissed when I talk to them and they told me they will have to send the floats later,,when I bought it online everything showed In Stock so I went ahead and ordered it,, now I will have to pay for extra shipping,,, also they didnt trat me very nice over the phone I think this is the last time I will order from them.

I buy a lot of staff over the internet and I dont like when they trat you like crap!!!! I cant complaint with the plane tho it's just so beautiful the only thig I found sort of bad was the holes for one side on the landing gear didnt line up perfect but with a bit of effort I made it fit,,then I found inside a plastic back 4 pices of back 1/8'' black painted wood and I was ***,,then I found out that has to be the braces for the front Window I guess whoever paked the plane broke them in 4 pieces to fit inside the plastic back that's the only explication I have because the bag waws sealed and there is no way that would have fit inside that bag!!!![:@]

Not too big of a deal I glued them I'll see how they look tomorrow and if they dont look right I 'll make new ones.

The other thing could have had more attention was the inside paintig job not very good they could have prime it first then sand it then finish painting it!!! it looks very rough!!!! I think I may paint the interior again!!!!

Ohh by the way does anybody has a Stock muffler for a Brison 2.4 engine which I will be uing on this baby?????
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
HornetFitter

So..... I decided that this was the evening to maiden the Cub. I lined up on the runway to do a taxi test and gave about 1/3 throttle. The tail came up and I noticed that there was not too much induced yaw to the left. Nice... I figured what the Hell... More throttle to about 5/8 and then some light back pressure on the elevator and it popped right off the runway and into the air. It needed one click right aileron and two clicks up elevator to trim out. It seemed to be moving very slow though...And it wanted to climb ALOT when more throttle was applied. I throttled back some and it slowed even more. I don't know how it stayed in the air! THen I got a bit startled when I made the first turn to the left. I input a bit of aileron and a bit of rudder, but the right wing really blossomed up. I guess the ailerons are not really to be used much. THe elevator was VERY sensitive too! It freaked me out so much that I figured I must have a c/g issue, so I figured I better land right away. I throttled back to just above idle and brought it in smoothly, but I went a bit long, so I only had about 75' of short grass runway left... It was rolling on and on with the tail up and level with the ground... I watched as it got closer to the hay around the runway and then continued to watch (without reacting) as it went into the long grass and nosed over.
I walked over and found that the prop had broken, but there were no other marks or damage.

It is SO much different than the 80" H9 version that I have!

Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 AM
charrua

Sweet!!!!! I got mine Finished and man I cant believe how heaby it is!!! I mean not bad for a plane this size and all de scale aluminum details I guess but mine came out at about 17lb.

I got a Brison 2.4 installed in this baby that should be plenty of Power for it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39247.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	988179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24593.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	988180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24190.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	988181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19133.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	988182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27677.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	988183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27026.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	988184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs27367.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	988185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig23191.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	988186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20302.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	988187   Click image for larger version

Name:	An65355.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	988188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci43584.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	988189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs74909.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	988190  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
HornetFitter

I compared my settings on my 40 size cub to the settings on the 1/4 scale and I figured out why the 1/4 scale one was so "twitchy". I had the expo on the ailerons, elevator and rudder all reversed. So instead of programming in progressive control travel, I instead had it super sensitive.
After sorting it out, I went out to the field this evening and got in 3 nice flights of about 15 minutes each, and used only 1 1/2 tanks of gas. I also used a Pro Zinger 16x8 propeller, and found it worked quite well.
I did some nice slow loops too and although I don`t have as much power compared to the Saito 72FS in the 40 sized model, I can still do a respectable bit of aerobatics including Hammerheads and tail slides.

It is ultra stable too. The winds were almost calm,and had alot to do with the stability, but based on the first results, I think it will do very well. THe flying profile is so much more scale! I even did some single wheel touch and go`s!
I`m lovin`this model!!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Wilki01

I'm running with the Master Airscrew 18x8, I sure like the way it fly, I also have a Top Flite 18x6 I may try. With this Cub flying the way it does, I really don't want to mess with a good thing.
Wilki
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM
charrua

Ok here's my Maiden Flight on Saturday!!! not much of it since it's all I got to fly it before the motor Craped out on me!!!![:@]

But the plane flew really good!!!

http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/inde...5&key=40&hit=1
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
HornetFitter

ORIGINAL: charrua

Ok here's my Maiden Flight on Saturday!!! not much of it since it's all I got to fly it before the motor Craped out on me!!!![:@]

But the plane flew really good!!!

http://whiteknuckleairlines.com/inde...5&key=40&hit=1
Wel done! You fly your Cub very well. My daughter and I watched it and we were both impressed
Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
charrua

Thanks for the complement,, I sent the Engien out today to get fixed I hope it doesnt take too long so I can fly it some more,,ohh I got the Floats shedule delivery on Wednesday so I'll be doing some lake flying too!!!!! Sweet I cant wait!! I have never flown off the water before!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
charrua

Hey guys I got the Floats for the 25% Cub and I started puting them togeather and I found out I got 2 fron Cross Bracesand they are sopoused to be one front and one for the rear so the one for the rear the holes wont line up,,I called horizo couldnt get anybody there,, I think I could just install them until I see the holes or 1/2 the holse you see and redrill them right???

This this happen to all of the kits or it's juts my luck I got a dumb a** packing my staff[:@]?

Will it be strong redrilling the holes or should I just try to get a rear cross brace replacement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.