Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

MOKI 2.10 help???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: MOKI 2.10 help???

ORIGINAL: GotSky

A well tuned Moki needs nothing more than some 0 to 5% fuel and an OS F plug. (I use 5%) at 400 ft elevation Sideways, inverted or up right these motors are hands down the best on the market. I would suggest pulling the carb off the motor and give it a good cleaning. Remove the low speed disk and use a soft brissel tooth brush and some after run oil and give it a good once over. Check the O-Ring for seal when you put it back in. If it is lose then order a new one from http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/HPS_317551801.asp
**************** part # 214539 - 10.180/21 - Mark Engines O-Ring - Mark 180/210/360 Carburetor $3.00 ***************

Also pull apart the needle and give it a good once over as well. Squirt fuel thorough all areas with some force.
Set the low end disk at the center mark
Set the needle at 1 3/4 turns out - adjust once you get her running
Use a 20x8 prop
Make sure your tank is using **large diameter fuel lines**.. This includes the clunk and brass tubes
Center the tank stopper/ line out let with the carb as close to the fire wall as you can.
Prime the motor ( get it really wet.. when you think there is enough give it a little more)
Hook up the glow driver and bump the prop backwards.. Watch your hand because she will get ya...

Low to high transition should be smooth the 5% fuel will help in this area. Make sure the low speed disk is seated all the way in the carb body. The O-Ring is all that holds the older ones in. If you are getting air sucked in it will mess with the low to high mixture. For the transition you should be using the disk for finite adjustments after you have properly set the high speed side. Very small adjustments should not make it harder to start...

Good LUCK!!!!

This link didn't work. Anyone know where to go for these O rings? I have a Moki 135 in need of new rings.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

me too. i should order that o ring my self.

david
Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 AM
GotSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New O-rings
Hobbypeople.net
Type in "MARK" in the search box
Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
V35BFLYER

Disregard.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
mrbiga

ORIGINAL: ExperimentalAviator

The only negative that I have found with my Moki’s is that the engines want make an immediate transition from low power to idle power while in flight (on base leg turning final approach) unless the idle speed on the ground is set up as low as possible. That caused me to have to “go around†several times and forced me to set up my approaches where I had to come in higher and pull the throttle to idle further out. After getting the idle set to a lower RPM this has not been a problem, which is good since I prefer to fly my final approach with a touch of power and need the engine to transition to idle on demand. I do suspect that I could adjust the idle mixture just a hair more and maybe get rid of this problem, to the extent that the idle speed could be increased just slightly, but I have not tried to do so. An extremely low idle is usually not needed for a high drag biplane or monoplane with a big round cowling, but could be helpful on a slick airframe.
Hi from Greece. Is this delay from mid power to idle ,a common thing for all Moki 210's? I had the same problem with my ZLIN 526 and Moki 210.Was taking 4 to 5 sec to slow down .High speed and transition was o.k. .Also in the test stand it was running nicely and was slowing down rapidly.Is there any case , that the pump may be the reason?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Rod Bender

BUMP

Any of you Moki 2.10 owners have the engines mounted inverted? If so....issues? I am starting a plane, and it requires an inverted mount, wanted to know if there were any issues with mounting it inverted before I comit...Thanks, Bender
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM
dhal22

mount it inverted but start the engine with the plane upside down.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Now that sounds real safe....
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM
ExperimentalAviator
My Feedback: (15)

mrbiga, both of my Moki's had the same throttle transition delay but it was from high idle to low idle only. I had to plan my approaches accordingly. My Moki's ran so smooth and dependably that I did not try to tweek that delay out. For me it just wasn't worth the time, effort and potential problems.

Rod Bender, my suggestion is to run a Cline unit and set it up like the pictures below (from my Christen Eagle and former Yak). One of our club members has a Moki 2.1 mounted inverted in the TF Giant Mustang with this same Cline setup and it works great.

Use a good quality electric starter with a large cone and you should not have any problems. Check out Sullivan's Dynatron with a large cone conversion or just go with the larger and lower reving Megatron. I now have the Megatron and really like it, and it can be used with one hand. Don't let the pictures of the double handle fool you.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18512.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1111809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25387.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1111810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77215.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1111811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70078.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1111812  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Rod Bender

I have the clines already, put it on my last Extra...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 AM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: dhal22

Now that sounds real safe....

do a search here and you will find many many moki 1.80/2.10 owners either flat out say not to invert a moki or if you must start the plane upside down. a simple cradle will alleviate any safety concerns. as an owner of several moki's myself i can assure you a moki carb needs to be wet but they hate to be flooded.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Rod Bender

Thank you David,

With the size of the plane, and the power of this engine, I will figure a way to side mount the engine on this plane. I own a 1.80 and the 2.10, and have had them in planes and know of their power. I thought I'd heard NOT to invert, but some insight from the forum, never hurts to ask, and am glad I did...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

They are hard to start inverted but run fine once they are started. I have two inverted ones, one with a Cline and one without, both run fine but I have to start them with the plane inverted.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: JL1

They are hard to start inverted but run fine once they are started. I have two inverted ones, one with a Cline and one without, both run fine but I have to start them with the plane inverted.
Thanks for the comeback JL1,

Ya, safety 1st. I do not want to be flipping that plane around while the engine is running, just too many scenario's could play out...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

It can be safely done by two people but caution and advance planning are the order of the day.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:34 PM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

You don't need to flip the plane over for an inverted motor. First time you start it remove the glow plug. Put your finger over the intake and flip the prop counterclockwise until fuel runs out the cylinder head. Take your finger off the intake and continue to flip until no fuel runs out the cylinder. Screw in the glow plug(make sure it is clean of fuel), put on your glow plug ignitor and bounce the prop(with a chicken stick) clockwise against compression. Don't follow through, just let it bounce. If you have a good glowing plug it will fire counterclockwise with just a bump. Once you get the technique down they start first time. Jim
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Rod Bender

Guys,
What other exhaust systems are available besides the pitt's...........? Looking for a "normal" canister muffler style for a 1.80 or the 2.10

Thanks, Bender
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM
ExperimentalAviator

Bisson has one listed: http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...ing_id=1097145

Also, check the muffler bolt spacing and see if a Super Tigre muffler will work.

There are several ST options; look at the Tower Hobbies web site:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GMA&V=SUP

Mike
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

I have one on a TF Mustang inverted. I tried to start the motor with the plane upside down and all the fuel went into the muffler. All you guys that do this, do you have the same problem? Is there a problem with my fuel system set up? I got this mustang second hand and haven't started the Moki yet.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
ExperimentalAviator

andernamen,

Go back to Post #34 and look at those pictures of the Moki with a Cline Proportional Fuel Controller. If you install a Cline on your Moki as shown your fuel problems will go away. A club member has this Cline setup on a Moki that is mounted inverted on a Top Flite Giant Mustang and it works perfectly; no flooding problems. The Cline unit only delivers the fuel as needed so it will not let fuel pass through when the engine is not running.

Go here to purchase a Cline PFC: http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Fueled the plane right side up, pinched the exhaust to fuel tank line, turned the plane upside down, and my Moki Fired right up. The cline system sounds great, but on my RC budget, I just can't see spending the $65. I'll keep it in mind if I have any further problems, but I think I've got it figured out for now.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 AM
dhal22

research, that's what this site is for. i've seen many posts about upside down starts. i knew i wasn't too far off.