Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

L4 grasshopper need servos ..

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

L4 grasshopper need servos ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L4 grasshopper need servos ..

oh my!! I was given a L4 grasshopper and I am re conditioning it.it has all servos 2 s148's in the wing and an older fp 134 hi torque and a standard for throttle.the span is over 100 inches and the weight is about 12 pounds dry. the motor is a G23 and is fine.

I am repainting the invasion stripes and when I installed the wing its held with 2 dowels and anchored with hex bolts.the struts are also solid and anchored to fuse .I would have thought a carbon tube would be used so I am somewhat uncomfortable though it had lots of stick time.I am unfamiliar with the servos and wonder what servos to use .maybe 645's on rudder and elevator ?

I redid the plastic windows and when she is finished will look great!

not sure if its a large great planes converted to military as the wing seems large and fortnuately is two pieces.

anyone got a giant piper or grasshopper and what if any advice for set up..thanks..
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: L4 grasshopper need servos ..

It sounds to me like you are O.K with what you got. The G-23 will fly a 12 lb. plane nicely. If it's quarter scale, that's really light.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
cloudancer03

hi jim..I think your right given it has flow before.I did replace one of the servos with a hitec giving it 72 ounces.as for the wing servos using s148's I think its ok too though some have told me that if its over 12 pounds I should be using metal gears.this isnt my laser 200 burning a hole in the sky just a big piper flying gently around.I have intent of doing much other than a few simple aerobatics like a loop or stall turn. never had a G23 so hopefiully it will pull this plane nicely..I got it from a late modeller and it looked so nice I decided I needed a fun airplane to putt around ..
Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for your information, I have an old 1/3 scale J-3 and J4 Cub that fly nicely with S148 servos driving the ailerons, one in each wing panel.

The J4 has over 1000 flights, and the J-3 probably has close to 500 flights, and there have been no problems.

Jim
Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
cloudancer03

hi jim..I agree the S148's in the wings should be be plenty and I installed them and they are ready to go.I did swap out the rudder and elevator servos as I had a few hitec 126's laying around.and I replaced most of the windows touched up the invasion stripes otherwise its done.my problem now is determining the CG.without any plans I am not sure where it is.as for weight its actually a few ounces over 13 pounds but the G23 should still fly it nicely.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 PM
ernbar

My 1/4 scale Cub and Citabria all have standard servos for each aileron and rudder and throttle. The elevators on both planes use the stronger larger size servo which is over 100 oz. torque.
My Citabria is about 12-13 lbs and flies really nice and scale with the Zenoah G23. My Cub has a 120 4-stroker and is about the same weight range.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
cloudancer03

thanks for the info.I just need to balance it .anybody got a measurement?