Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project

Old 11-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Floopy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project

Okay, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew. About three weeks ago, I came up with the idea of resuscitating a dying model airplane notion of actually building my own airplane... from a KIT! Oh, sure, those ARF's, BnF's, and RTF's always come out virtually flawless, reveal instant-gratification, and new wings and fuselages are just a phone call (and subsequent credit card payment) away. But where's the challenge in opening up a box, bolting on a few servos and and engine (if THAT), and heading out to the field? Where is the artistry? Where's the challenge?

With these sentiments in mind, I jumped off the cliff and did something stupid.

I first saw the 61-inch P-51 kit. Hmph, that seemed okay, but kind of a little unimpressive (spanwise, that is. The real airplane is one of the coolest ever to exist.) Okay, how about a 65-inch Spitfire? Nah. Yaks? Done to death! Cessnas? Fun to fly for real, but for an RC? Yuck.

And then, whilst perusing various hobby websites, I came across a picture that sent me back to the days when my Dad and I would watch Robert Conrad et al. fly his gull-winged Corsair across the Pacific in Baa Baa Black Sheep. And any airshow where a real Corsair is flying tends to steal the show more than the Mustangs. There are certainly more P-51's still flying than there are F4U's. So with that, I decided this is the plane for me.

And then I did something really stupid. Why build a 65-incher when I can build it in giant scale? After all, how big could this thing actually be. Well, 86.5 inches to be exact. Pshaww...

For some perspective, 86.5 inches is 7 feet, 2.5 inches. Kareem Abdul Jabbarl is just one-half inch SHORTER than the wingspan of this model. What the heck have I gotten myself into? It was after I had already ordered the kit when I took out my tape measure and realized that I could probably fabricate a seat on this thing and fly on it to Toledo. What have I done?

And so the box arrived... all 26 pounds of it. 26 pounds of balsa, plywood, plastic, metal pushrods, yadda, yadda, yadda. And there's yet to be a powerplant and radio system.

The plans call for an ultimate flying weight of around 17 to 19 pounds. Hard to believe, as heavy as the box is. We'll see. I think I'll need a bigger motor than the one suggested. (Is that a new idea in RC modeling?)

And for your entertainment, I have also decided to document this endeavor. I'll do my best to include pictures and stupid ideas on how to build model airplanes. Please don't expect daily updates. After unbelievable encouragement from my fantastic wife, I have vowed to share my time with her and, we'll call the Corsiar, "Sally" for now. And so, in that interest, as well as modeling sanity, and of course my job, I won't work on her every day. So, here is the first round of pics...

1. The box. I think the UPS guy has a hernia now.
2. See? I wasn't kidding. That box is huge!
3. The barn doors opened. Tower Hobbies was nice enough to include catalogs, coupons, and everything else to keep me buying more stuff.
4 and 5. The kit box contents. Lumber, plastic, metal galore.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41390.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1075735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78716.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1075736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19602.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1075737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64017.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1075738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81291.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1075739  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM
LShaver1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project

Go 4 it Floopy, good things can happen....mine turned out as a p47..... heres a pic of Robert Conrad with his smoking lamp lit....or is it

Semper Fi

Larry
Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Floopy1

The build actually began yesterday afternoon when the box arrived, so the begin date should be considered November 19, 2008. When the crate, err, box arrived, I spent the first hour or so in cardiac fibrillation at the sight off all that balsa. Is there really an airplane in there? The next hour was spent pondering where the heck I was going to build this thing. We don't have a really big place, and after discussion with my wife, the preliminary solution is to dominate the dining area for a few months. I guess those black tie dinners will have to be put on hold for a while. Darn.

Then I looked outside and saw sunshine and calm winds. Time to goof off and go fly. Leave me alone... I'm on vacation.

When I got home, the subtle scent of balsa dust was now lingering in the air. Time to hit the ground running with this thing. With all these parts, panels, and loose components, I began the inventory and cataloging process. Top Flite does a pretty decent job at identifying the parts in the assembly instructions, and labeling all die-cut material. Each sub-section in the parts list was correspondingly bundled together in the box, and so locating each part was very easy. I decided to attach a 3x5 card label to each part and keep them bundled together as packaged. When the plan calls for a part, I can just reference the parts list for what bundle it's in, and retrieve it easily. I'm sure there's a smarter way of doing this, but hey, build your own model, critic.

I stopped the inventory last night at around 11:00 to preserve my wife's okayness with this project and went to sleep. I finished this morning. There were only 5 missing or damaged balsa sticks (not too bad). As the assembly manual has a copyright year of 1999, I didn't expect the customer support phone number to work, but much to my surprise, it did! I didn't know this, but Top Flite is now serviced (I guess owned) by Hobbico. The agent was able to pull up my Tower Hobbies invoice and identify my order. I gave her the replacement part numbers, and she said they'd be in the mail today. I was on and off the phone in 3 minutes flat. How's that for customer service?

Adhesives and some oddball building materials are enroute from Tower Hobbies and should arrive tomorrow. (I gave the UPS guy a break and only ordered 8 pounds of stuff this time. He and his back brace should be arriving before six.)

Pictures for today:
The completed inventory. Not so daunting after all, I have to say.

Name:	Bz79239.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1075801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70229.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1075802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51975.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1075803  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Floopy1

Larry,

Nice pics! Thanks for the encouragement!

-Floop
Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Floopy, you are quite right to be sceptical of the listed finished weights for this bird. Chances are it will weigh just about as much as the box did when it arrived at your door, depending on the finish and accessories used. Total weights of 25-30 pounds are typical and acceptable for a Corsair this size. You will probably want at least 3 cubic inches to fly it and 4 or 5 cubic inches is not too much, IMHO. Something like a Zenoah G-62 works very well, provides plenty of power, and is a good start on the nose weight necessary to get the thing balanced properly. You don't mention what kind of flying experience you have so I will just throw out there that the Corsair makes a lousy trainer and that is understated. Please make sure you have the proper skills before trying to fly this bird. I apologize if that is preaching to the chior. Best of luck with your "hose nose".
Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Floopy1

Chad,

Preach away! I need all the advice I can get! I'm relatively new to RC flying, and I completely understand that this isn't a trainer. During the build, I have a few other airplanes to train on, not to mention the simulator, but none of them are even close to giant scale, including the sim. I have a few guys in mind with a heck of a lot more experience than me that I hope to recruit for initial test flying and training. As for the weight issue, I thought this would end up heavy. I read another blog from a modeler building the same airplane and he indicated his was relatively close to the target weight. We'll see. Also, thank you for the engine recommendations. I've been thinking about that issue for a while now. I don't have to make the decision until around page 32 or so, so there's time to procrastinate.

-Floop
Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Floppy, You are my hero! I am in the same boat> I have wanted to build that kit for some time. I will just live viacariously(sp) through your project for a while. Also, if you are not a writer, you should be!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Floopy1

Lear,
Thanks, Lear! As for you wanting to build this kit, JUST DO IT! (ala Nike!) It's only money! (And not that much,really, after all the Tower Hobbies discounts.) But if you still have reservations, then I'm glad you'll at least be watching. I'll try to make it a good build!

I'll be posting a running total of dollars burned every now and then. If anyone gains any knowledge from reading this forum, it'll be how to build a ridiculously large model airplane through bargain shopping.

Thanks again...
-Floop
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
goodinmw

Aloha Floopy,
Go for it! Nothing like flying your own Corsair. I purchased and built the TopFlight Giant Scale Corsair a couple years ago and she's still flying and my favorite bird.
You are right about the weight, mine came it at about 30lbs all up, but then I added a full set of functioning main gear doors and all the pneumatics to go with it. I used a Fuji 50 EI for power, but if I had it to do over again I'd look for something a little bit stronger. Flies great with the Fiju, I'd just prefer lots of extra power to chase the other warbirds around the sky.
See pictures first! Before reading further...
I probably spent close to a year and a half putting mine together- I wasn't counting but wife says I have at least 1500hrs in my construction and finish.
See picutres again. (I can send more if you need to keep going..... nothing quite so beautiful.)
Good Luck!
Mark

Name:	Mk27610.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1076169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23773.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1076170  
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Floopy1

Chad,

Preach away! I need all the advice I can get! I'm relatively new to RC flying, and I completely understand that this isn't a trainer. During the build, I have a few other airplanes to train on, not to mention the simulator, but none of them are even close to giant scale, including the sim. I have a few guys in mind with a heck of a lot more experience than me that I hope to recruit for initial test flying and training. As for the weight issue, I thought this would end up heavy. I read another blog from a modeler building the same airplane and he indicated his was relatively close to the target weight. We'll see. Also, thank you for the engine recommendations. I've been thinking about that issue for a while now. I don't have to make the decision until around page 32 or so, so there's time to procrastinate.

-Floop
Floop,

I also have this kit but am far from starting on it as I've aquired an IMAC bug...

Never the less, I do follow a thread on this model that has been around for three years now. It did go kind of quiet for a bit, but for the last year or so there are guys back on it and actively building the model. You can find an ENORMOUS amout of information on building the model, possible modifications to make it actually scale (it is not bye the way actually true to scale), mods to the landing gear, part numbers, cockpit setups, lights, engines, props and actually about anything you could imagine.

Check it out...[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
sevans16

veI've had my kit for two years this week! I need to get it started! I have two ARF's to finish up. Then it is either this kit or the TF B-25 ARF.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Floopy1

Mahalo, Mark! That airplane looks fantastic! I hope mine turns out at least half as pristine! A for the weight, I thought it would end up heavy. I haven't decided whether or not to splurge on gear doors and other extravagances... again, there's PLENTY of time for those decisions to be made. I was thinking about mounting the Fuji 50 EI motor on, too, but someone warned me about gas engines producing more vibration than glow engines that may be a problem for a giant scale airplane. Any thoughts about that? Would an equivalent glow engine be more advantageous, either financially or operationally? I thought the advantages of variable timing would be worth some extra periodic inspections.

As for the 1500 hour assembly time... what took you so long?!? I just completed the wing and tail surfaces before lunch!

Just kidding.

By the way, Mark, that Corsair is perfectly suited for flying in the Pacific! Great choice!

-Floop
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Floopy1

Zeeb,

Thanks so much for the link. I'll take any info I can find. I started looking at that thread, and wow, there's a lot of advice there! I'll have to stare at it for a few hours this week.

Thanks again!

-Floop
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it going Floop. Dan.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Floopy1

Okay, folks! Here's what I did today...

The very first actual construction task is to true up one edge of each of four 3/32 x 3 x 36 balsa sheets to make two sheeting panels for the horizontal stab. I bought an extruded aluminum straight edge (Johnson level & tool mfg brand, ala Home Depot) and used it for a cutting reference. Before making the cut, for giggles, I test-fit the sheets to see how true they were to begin with, and they were pretty close already with the milled edges. But I let my rational brain convince me this task existed for a reason and attempted to cut anyway. Well, see the pics below for the result. After three tries, I couldn't get a perfect seam. Is my straight edge, in fact, NOT straight after all? After removing about 1/8" of material, I was getting worried about a minimum width issue, and decided to stop and research a better method.

Airfieldmodels.com has excellent tutorials on airplane construction techniques, and it suggested the following: Make an edge-truing fixture. I would have thought of this all on my own, had I thought about it long enough. Really, I would have! Here's the article:
[link]http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/edge_join_balsa_sheet_skins/index.htm[/link]

I don't have the part to make it right now. (Hmpf!) Stab sheets will wait for now.

So I began construction on the horizontal stab structure. I cut out the 4 balsa and ply panels to be epoxied together, sanded the burrs, and realized I was out of foam brushes to spread the epoxy. Then 11:00 rolled around... quitting time.

So to sum up today, I set up my workspace (drywall panels on our kitchen table. Anyone have a better idea? Please let me know what you do. I'm concerned about flatness), received all adhesives and other odds and ends from Tower (UPS guy was fine this time, if you were concerned), set up plan #1, failed at truing balsa edges, cut out a few parts, and never even got around to epoxying. I made a clamp tree, though. That's SOMETHING. (See pic)

I'm about to go out of town for a few days, and so I'll be on the down low for a little while. So keep on the lookout for more blunders and lack of productivity in the next post. Until then, bye for now!

Today's pics:

1. Overview of stab sheets
2. Stab sheet edge-truing anomaly
3. My workspace overview. Ain't it AWESOME?
4. Clamp tree, undecorated.

Name:	Pm34708.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1076599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94469.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1076600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24883.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1076601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35119.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1076602  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM
goodinmw

Aloha Floppy,
RE: "I was thinking about mounting the Fuji 50 EI motor on, too, but someone warned me about gas engines producing more vibration than glow engines that may be a problem for a giant scale airplane. Any thoughts about that?"
Hmm- I don’t have any glow engines equivalent to a 50 gas- but if it's generating equivalent power, and it's single cylinder with a single oscillating piston (primary vibration source) I can't see where the vibration would be significantly different. possibly from different fuel volatility, pressures and required piston mass? In my experience biggest source of vibration is an unbalanced prop. In any case some other things to consider-
1) Gallon of glow fuel: $25 vs gallon of gas with oil mix: $5
2) Fuel system for gas does not require tank pressure and the location of the tank relative to the carb is not critical.
3) Fuel consumption- I have a 32oz tank in my Corsair, and I burn less than half the tank for 15 minutes of flying. I’ve gone 20-25 minutes but that gets real long. If your field is busy and occasionally gets fouled with stalled or crashed aircraft, it’s nice to have some reserve fuel to stay aloft. Corsair doesn’t dead stick real well, though I’ve done that a couple times as well.
4) Carb and engine are almost set it and forget it once you are past the break-in. I’ve not had any issues with the electronic timing- and the variability part is automatically controlled, nothing for you to adjust.
Not saying vibration is not an issue- you have to watch for chaffing of fuel lines and spark plug cables, elongation of holes in plastic servo and control surface horns/arms etc. Just I don’t know there’s a significant difference between glow and gas for equivalent power.
One other observation- looking at the RC aircraft market and trends- the giant scale craft are almost exclusively gas. the "pros" of gas seem to outweigh the cons.
Aloha Mark[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I concur with the above concerning gas vs. glow on a model this large. Any nitro burner you might find that is big enough to pull this bird around is going to be multi-cylinder which is nice but very expensive both to purchase and to operate. They are no where near as reliable and user friendly either, IMHO. Really, other than something like the Moki inline twin, what choices are there in glow for a 30 pound Corsair?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Floopy1

MARK AND CHAD:

Thanks for the engine advice. While I was away, I read your posts and made up my mind to power the airplane with a gas motor. Eliminating the tank vs. carb position issue alone is a great reason to go gas, to say nothing of cost per gallon and fuel consumption. You've sold me.

TODAY'S PROGRESS REPORT:

I got home from my trip last night and got right back to work. While I was in my hotel, I dreamed up a great way to true up those pesky stab sheets with just two straight-edges and a #11 razor blade. With my superior intellect in overdrive, I drafted the idea on the hotel stationary. In theory, I could cut the edges at any angle of the blade, any pattern across the face of the balsa, you name it. Here was the idea: Overlap the edges of two panels and cut between the overlap. The resulting edges would be (I say again, IN THEORY) congruent angles. (See pic below.) Having been cut in the same plane, they should fit together.

In theory.

Guess how they turned out. That's right... not even close to being true. They were truly lousy. Truly horrible. I could have put a fingernail between them at some points along the seam. It looked like the English Channel from orbit.

Okay, after blasting out a few popular expletives and some encouragement from my wife, I re-grouped and came up with a new idea. Time to go shopping for a new straight edge and some clamps. I would have to make that edge-truing fixture after all. I know, I know... So much for my superior intellect. (Smart alec.)

I attached a ribbon of 120-grit sandpaper to the edge of a long level and clamped it to a workbench (kitchen counter. Don't worry, I checked it with the level.) I then used two straight edges to hold the balsa sheet flat against the sandpaper and slid the assembly side to side. I used one straight edge to apply a down-force to the sheet (against the workbench), and another to apply a forward, evenly-distributed force against the sandpaper. Worked like a charm!

And so I glued the skins together. They dried, err, cured. Exciting stuff, huh? Like watching glue dry. (Heh, heh.)

With about an hour of intentionally slow sanding with progressively finer and finer-grit sandpaper, I achieved a pretty smooth finished surface. One more grit to go, but that will wait until the skin is mounted on the stab. A word to the wise... if you ever decide to build an airplane in the living areas of your house, vacuum often. Change sandpaper, vacuum. Sand... vacuum. Sand, vacuum. Trust me, your model, and your wife, will appreciate it.

On to building the stab center "sandwich". Now, I don't quite understand Top Flite, here. They include two plywood doublers that need to be glued on top of each other to form one stab leading edge doubler. So why is the stab center (same thickness) assembled with a balsa-ply-ply-balsa 4-piece sandwich (all of which require precise face epoxying)? Maybe weight? Drillability? I'm sure I'll realize its purpose somewhere down the road. Nevertheless, making this sandwich was a bit of a pain keeping each piece aligned with each subsequent piece during clamping. I eventually place a t-pin in each corner before the epoxy set and THEN clamped. That worked well. I'll have some edge-sanding to do to remove the oozed epoxy when it cures completely. (Don't mention wiping the oozing before it cured. I couldn't reach all of it with the clamps in place. Jeesh.)

You'll notice in the pics a little stopwatch running next to the clamped fixture. 30 minutes ticks by faster than you realize, and so I used that to remind me to hurry the heck up. Funny, my wife perceives time as moving more slowly when I'm working on this thing.

To summarize today's activities, I glued balsa sheets to form skins and sanded them, and epoxied the 4-layers of the stab center. On the surface, this doesn't seem like a lot of progress, but in the bigger picture, it wasn't, either. But big enough for me. Stay tuned next time when I will hopefully feather-up the stab structure. I can't wait to bevel balsa sticks and make them fit properly. Until then, this is Floopy 1 saying, bye for now.

Today's pics:

1. The good-in-theory idea. I didn't bother taking pictures of the actual setup. You wouldn't be impressed, anyway.
2 and 3. The aforementioned edge-truing fixture. It's a level, and the slider is a broken down saw guide from Lowe's.
4, 5, and 6. Edge-gluing the sheets. The baggies are filled with BB's from WalMart to weigh down the edges to keep them flush.
7. Finished Stab sheet. It's sheet-tastic. Notice the baby-bottom-smooth finish.
8 and 9. Epoxying the stab center. It's true- you can NEVER have enough clamps. Except if you owned a clamp factory during a clamp surplus.

Name:	Ig11229.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1079182   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45934.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1079183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43013.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1079184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61324.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1079185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62542.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1079186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc49253.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1079187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su35463.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1079188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji28450.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1079189  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw36330.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1079190  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM
goodinmw

Noticed you used what looks like steel shot for weights-
I bought some lead shot at the local guns supply store and placed them inside bags and then inside a sock, and have been using them on multiple projects ever since. Note the lead shot is relatively loose in the bag so it spreads out evenly over the area covered.
One other lead shot trick I used- especially useful for when you get to sheeting the main wing- I took some bicycle inner tubes- cut out the section with the valve stem, knotted one end, filled it with lead shot then knotted the other end- giving me a flexible long snake of weight to help hold panels/skins in place over the ribs/spars. Worked well for me.
Good Luck,
Mark[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floop-

You asked if anyone had better ideas for a building surface. I use drywall like you, but I have a few concerns about the flatness of your kitchen table. I use a 6 foot folding table with steel frame (like from a church basement) that I bought at Costco. I have checked it with a straightedge for level. A lot of guys use an old hollow core door on sawhorses. Sometimes Home Depot has castoffs. I don't know if you have a spare room anywhere, but I'd try to find a different place to set up the operation. At some point, your wife WILL want to have guests over.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
madmax3269

Floopy, you are my HERO !!! The corsair is the reason I got into r/c. Ever since I was younger I wanted to build that plane. The guys in club that I fly in told me that I shouldn't start out so fast. So I started with an alpha 60 trainer. yesterday i started my first build, a great planes RV-4.
Glad I saw your post, keep going and good luck!
Keep the updates comming.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floop

First I like your build[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Are you planning any mods ?? don't know how much research your doing but you might check the thread "1/6 corsair group build" in RC SCAle , for great detail info that can be used, also this kit has been bashed a fair amount in Warbirds & Warplanes Group build T/F G/S F4U Corsair there is an endex in post #1 lots of help on this kit.

Good Luck with your build

Cheers Bob t
Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Floopy1

Mark,

As always, thanks again for the advice! Keep it coming. I think I'll use the lead shot in the inner tube idea. It's going to be important to spread an even pressure across the skins when I start sheeting the wing, and I'm sure that idea will come in handy.

I had a question about glue choice. What adhesive should I use and where? The assembly manual does indicate to use epoxy where specified, but for most other steps where "glue" is directed, should I use yellow wood glue whenever possible? Another builder suggested to always use wood glue if the surfaces can be clamped. Otherwise use CA with accelerator. The area I'm particularly concerned about is where the horizontal stab leading edge doubler is attached to the center stab balsa-ply "sandwich". I can clamp those parts, but as a structural component, I am concerned about yellow glue not being strong enough. Wouldn't epoxy be a better choice for these parts? Let me know what you think.

Wishing I was on Oahu,
Floop.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Floopy1

Jagnweiner (Scott),

Believe it or not, but my wife actually suggested the dining area! How do you like that? But I think after the stab and fin are complete (ergo, smaller surfaces), I will move the operation to a spare room. With as slow as I am going on the project (intentionally slow, that is), I don't want our living space cluttered with clamps, saws, and balsa dust. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I thought of the door and sawhorses idea, too. The table is not absolutely level, per se, but is at least flat. Once I begin the larger sections of the model, I think I'm going to get the door and sawhorses. Is that Costco table pretty flat? Given a choice, a folding table seems like a better idea for breakdownability. I like the idea of being able to strike the assembly area if I need the spare room. Let me know!

Thanks for the ideas!

-Floop
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Floopy1

Bob,

I never read the kit bashing posts. I'll have to look at them when I have a little more time. I have been looking at a few other builders' "blogs" and have been getting great ideas from them. As for mods, I would love to include a wing folding mechanism not only for scale, but so I can fit the darn thing in my car when I want to fly it! I found another builder who included this feature, complete with the link to order the components. Believe it or not, it isn't even that expensive. I need to make that decision soon. That wing is looming in the near future.

As always, thanks for the advice!

-Floop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.