Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47 Scale Details Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Top Flite P-47 Scale Details Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
qballdmd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-47 Scale Details Question

I am in the beginning phases of a top flite p-47 giant scale build. I am to the point of fitting the stab and fin, with the upper 1/2 of the fuselage built and 1/2 sheeted. I have noticed some very good threads on here about the details that others have incorporated into their builds and would like to spruce mine up a bit. I have decent skills, but am new to fiberglassing ( of models at least. I have other fiberglass experience ) and panel lines and rivet detail. I don't want to go crazy with scale details, but enough to get my feet wet. Here are a few of my ideas and would like to know of any resources or threads that others on this forum know of to help me.

1. - I noticed a couple of people went with full scale swept hinge lines, with the rounded LE and triangular stock TE with brass tubing hinges. I also noticed someone that went halfway , with hinge points and then the rounded the LE instead of beveling it. Can you move the rotation point of the hinge into the LE of the elevator and away from the TE of the Stab, round the LE , put the upper and lower triangular stock to seal the hinge gap and prevent flutter, and have it be strong enough ? Or, does that weaken the hinge, having it stick out that far and change the geometry of the control surface and its handling ?

2. How does flite metal or the 3M metallized tape work with rivet and panel line detail ? Do you apply it and then put the details ? Do you mask and spray the panel lines, then burnish the metal into it and then put the rivets on top of that. I just know I would like metal with details, but I'm really uneducated about what is out there and what would give the best results for an amateur.

3. Last is the sliding canopy. I have a cockpit kit, but it doesn't make too much sense if you can't open it to see the details. Does anybody have pis of the mechanism or the hardware that would be required to make a sliding razorback canopy?

There are some amazing builders on this site and any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys, Jeff