Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Byron Ryan ST-A

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 AM
n2ryd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Ryan ST-A

I myself would love a set of those planes. I purchased my father the plane back in 1996 and he keep coming up with excuses for not building this wonderful plane. Maybe with a set of built up wings it might motivate him.

Thanks

Bob(N2RYD)
Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The wings are sanded out and ready for the Koverall. Think I'll put it on with Nitrate but fill the weave with MinnWax PolyCrylic. That way I won't be adding as much weight.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM
lovehydro

Stickbuilder, please let me know what has happened to you. I haven't herd from you in a couple of months. I am still waiting for the plans you were going to send me. Please call me (253-735-9169) or let me know when I can exspect them. Thanks, lovehydro
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Stickbuilder

We were in the process of moving back to our home in town. We had been out on the farm since we moved back to Florida last June, so not much was going on with the airplanes. We are finally back in our home and so building will continue. Still haven't covered the new wings yet, and am torn between using dope and Koverall or one of the Tex fabrics. We'll see.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Daniel Ramsey

Hello Stickbuilder, I have been many years removed from posting about my Ryan Sta and it made me re-evaluate the one I have kept in storage all these years after seeing how yours turned out. I bought mine in around 1990 I think down in Carson City Nevada, I hauled it all the way to Alaska. About those foam wings I actually epoxied solid fiberglass round rods on the leading edge and then micro ballooned the airfoil shape smooth, might have been a dumb move on my part as it was done 10 years ago, I wanted to protect the wings leading edge.
I doubt I will ever have the nerve to fly mine but it would be nice to make it look as good as yours does.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Daniel,

I watched one fly a few weeks ago and It was really a *****cat. You ought to give yours a try.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Stickbuilder

Can't believe they actually bleeped that out.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 AM
KP.
My Feedback: (77)

I would much appreciate a copy of the wing plans too. I have mine framed up and the wings are on the heavy side. I do like the idea of wood over foam. Thanks..... Ken
Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up getting one of these last week. Mine is built, but I am going to build a new set of wings. Where did the plans that Bill drew end up? I hate to reinvent the wheel, but certainly not too hard to do.

Bill, how did you capture the aluminum spar within the wing structure? I have my ideas, but yours may be better!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM
lovehydro

I have been trying to get a copy of those drawings for over a year. Bill was going to send them to me, but his moving I think interfered. PLEASE anybody that has them send me a copy, I of course would be happy to pay the coping and mailing cost.
Paul
Old 10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Stickbuilder

Actually the moving was the least of the problems. I was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and have had a couple (3 actually) strokes. I just had my 3rd surgical procedure to remove the Cancer. Pathological report says it's all gone. So now I'm dealing with the recovery. I'll dig the wing plan out and send it as soon as I get a little strength back. Haven't forgotten it. Just been a little preoccupied. ��
Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
JeffH

Dang Bill, that is bad stuff. I am glad that they got it all. I bet the recovery combined with the strokes will make for a long winter....
As far as I am concerned, concentrate on recovery vs. digging out a drawing for a beat up old airplane.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickbuilder
Actually the moving was the least of the problems. I was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and have had a couple (3 actually) strokes. I just had my 3rd surgical procedure to remove the Cancer. Pathological report says it's all gone. So now I'm dealing with the recovery. I'll dig the wing plan out and send it as soon as I get a little strength back. Haven't forgotten it. Just been a little preoccupied. ��
Bill, Waco Brother #1
Hey Bill, get well and your strength back. Not too many of us builders left these days.

For all the Byron Ryan owners, member Probuilder here on RCU has located a Ryan windscreen set and is making a mold to draw some new ones. Will let all know when he lets me know some are ready.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
JeffH

Does anyone know/remember if Solartex can be stuck to foam? I need to do something to the top of the wing before strip it all down and build new wings. The econocrap is hideous. It seems like I remember way back when that Byrons recommended Solartex on their Byro-Foam.

Also, are the flying wires functional on the wings of this plane?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM
skyarrow1

Originally Posted by Mud Duck
Again, thanks to you guys, this Ryan PT-20 is now ready for its maiden flight. This model belongs to my friend, Steve Bradford, and was completely refurbished by Kent Imhoff and I assisted him in the restoration process. It really turned out nice. We'll let you know how it flies later.
What a beautiful plane... I keep looking for one of these close to me.

Mike
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Stickbuilder

Don't think Solartex will work. Temperature has to be too hot for the foam. Econokote works with low heat, but your plane ends up looking like a flying bread sack.
Yes, the flying and landing wires are necessary on the foam wings. I wanted to use the wires, so I designed the built up wings to use them too.
I'm feeling reasonably well and will pull out the wing drawing out in the next couple of days. They are a working drawing, so the quality is not what you would have seen in a commercial kit years ago, but they've accurate and functional. You build one wing right side up, and the other upside down. It's a symmetrical wing and it goes together easily and quickly. I didn't draw in the X bracing or the cap strips. The tips are laminated spruce, using 5 layers. I sheeted the tips with 3/16 balsa to add strength. The aluminum spar joiners are 3/4X1/8 from Lowe's. They come in 36" lengths, and I ran them into the center section per the originals in the foam wings. I ran them way out into the wing to about where the wires connect. It's really strong both in shear and in torsion. If you like the way they look, you're welcome to use them. If not, stick with the foam wings. I offer no guarantee whatsoever. It's your airplane.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Stickbuilder

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Hey Bill, get well and your strength back. Not too many of us builders left these days.

For all the Byron Ryan owners, member Probuilder here on RCU has located a Ryan windscreen set and is making a mold to draw some new ones. Will let all know when he lets me know some are ready.
I tried to get some parts made by a couple of people who specialize in glass parts. No one was interested in doing them. Would have been nice to have a second source for them. I've got perfect windscreens to
use too. I'm only using 1.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Stickbuilder

Whoever I'm supposed to send the drawing to needs to send me their information again, so I can get them sent out.

Bill, Waco Brother #1.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Stickbuilder

Originally Posted by JeffH
Dang Bill, that is bad stuff. I am glad that they got it all. I bet the recovery combined with the strokes will make for a long winter....
As far as I am concerned, concentrate on recovery vs. digging out a drawing for a beat up old airplane.
I did some research on esophageal Cancer (having it makes you want to become an expert about it). Last year, 87.5% of those diagnosed with this type of Cancer died. It is a rare type of Cancer and is very aggressive. It moves fast and is located in the main sugar supply route. My Doctor jumped on it with everything in his toolbox. I owe my life to God and him. My oncologist said that I'm the first survivor that he's ever seen. He even called another oncologist in to have a look. I'm a very fortunate man. 2 massive heart attacks, 3 strokes, 4 bypasses, a defibrillator and pacemaker and now Cancer. Hopefully the next thing to come my way will include winning the Powerball Lottery. 😄

Bill, Waco Brother #1.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:49 PM
lovehydro

Bill I am sorry for your health problems, I understand the set back these can make. Take care of your self first my Ryan project can wait.
I am glad you have beaten the cancer, my brother is battling cancer now and isn't doing as well as you. we all thank God for you.
Take care, lovehydro
Old 10-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Stickbuilder

I'm going to need your address information so I can send the plan for the wings.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM
JeffH

Originally Posted by Stickbuilder
Don't think Solartex will work. Temperature has to be too hot for the foam. Econokote works with low heat, but your plane ends up looking like a flying bread sack.
Yes, the flying and landing wires are necessary on the foam wings. I wanted to use the wires, so I designed the built up wings to use them too.
I'm feeling reasonably well and will pull out the wing drawing out in the next couple of days. They are a working drawing, so the quality is not what you would have seen in a commercial kit years ago, but they've accurate and functional. You build one wing right side up, and the other upside down. It's a symmetrical wing and it goes together easily and quickly. I didn't draw in the X bracing or the cap strips. The tips are laminated spruce, using 5 layers. I sheeted the tips with 3/16 balsa to add strength. The aluminum spar joiners are 3/4X1/8 from Lowe's. They come in 36" lengths, and I ran them into the center section per the originals in the foam wings. I ran them way out into the wing to about where the wires connect. It's really strong both in shear and in torsion. If you like the way they look, you're welcome to use them. If not, stick with the foam wings. I offer no guarantee whatsoever. It's your airplane.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Thanks for the information and I am glad to see that you are one of the 12% that beat it.
I didn't know if Byrons designed these wings like the Glasair or Cap21 that were ByroFoam but did not have to have any sort of reinforcements. I have some streamlined flying wire stock coming from Norway. I will just have to solder some stainless threaded stock and use some sort of clevis to attach.
I like the idea of running the aluminum spar all the way to the flying wires.
And the comparison of Econokote to a bread bag wrapper is perfect!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
lovehydro

lovehydro
paul droullard
33632 135th ave. s.e.
auburn, wa. 98092
253-735-9169
Old 10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is putting that info on the net a good idea ?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM
JeffH

Now we know where to find a Byrons Ryan!! lol KIDDING!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.