Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

*ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

*ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM
akroblade954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

ORIGINAL: Stewb

Hi Adrian,

That could be just what's needed. However, went to see a bit of an engineering god today called John Braithwaite who pointed me in a direction which could basically mean making new main legs and possibly a new nose leg. Probably not so expensive and could be relatively simple.

Does anyone know what the mains are made of? I'd been told they are cast aluminium.

I'm busy all next week and will do something the week after and keep you in the loop.

Stew.

ORIGINAL: akroblade954

Hi Stew

Would like to see some pics of how the larger wheels / repositioned axles look. As for the front, back on post 297 there was a link to a little guide to replacing the nose leg for a Robart 159F. This will take a 4'' wheel to match your mains. If you wanted and offset leg instead of fork type, you could go for the Robart 159, which also accepts a 4'' wheel.

Adrian

You could try speaking to Carbon Copy. I have some of their fibreglass legs on a 50cc Katana and they are awesome. 2 other benefits for you if you end up using them, 1) the finish is white, 2) they are a little springier than the metal ones, which you may need if you intend shortening the legs! They will make anything up for you, but don't forget to tell them the beast weighs 30lbs when you give them the size dimensions you would like!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Stewb

Carbon Copy will get a call in a few says mate, ta.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Guys, picked up one of these at a price I could not refuse.

Bad news? it's only partially finished & lacks the wings & stabiliser.

That's no big deal for me, I can scratch build them, but what I would
like is a copy of the instruction manual.

Anyone have a copy they could email me or know where one can be downloaded on line?

Mine came fitted with a DZY 48cc twin cylinder gas engine, any feedback on those? - John.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:39 AM
mardio

Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ki18716.pdf (938.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Boomerang1

Thanks for posting that Mardio, RCU users always seem keen to help.

However I've returned the plane because of feedback on the engine,
seems parts are hard to come by & reviews aren't universally positive.

Ah well, seems it wasn't such a bargain after all. - John.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,

A shame about the plane and the engine. I agree, I have heard some less than outstanding reports on this engine.

Anyhow, I thought the Cessna was the Austars one, not the ASM one??
I saw it briefly in the shop where I suspect you bought it from. Had been looking for a while for something similar but decided to pass on this one
Good looking plane though - better luck next time.

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Thanks for posting that Mardio, RCU users always seem keen to help.

However I've returned the plane because of feedback on the engine,
seems parts are hard to come by & reviews aren't universally positive.

Ah well, seems it wasn't such a bargain after all. - John.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Boomerang1

Yep, it was marked Austars on the price tag & I thought I could possibly chase up
some wings/tail from a friend involved with Austars.

When I got it home I went to the Austars website to download their manual. The
Austars version is fibreglass wheras this one is ABS vacuum formed plastic over a
ply/carbon tube frame.

When I closely checked mine it had ''ASM'' laser burnt on the servo tray.

There could be a happy ending to the story, I recieved a PM from a guy who had an
engine out with his ASM Cessna, he's looking for a new fuse only so I sent him the details
of where it is.

John.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 AM
wingnutzster

Nice bird guys, she really is an imposing model and a very nice size with what by all accounts and from what I can see, very well built and finished. I hope you guys won't mind my sharing my slightly negative impressions of her which are based mostly on aesthetics, which for me is everything

There's just something that bothers me so about 'scale' birds like this, with all the attention they paid to accurate detailing and finish why is it that the profile is so completely off from the real 182? I am intimately familiar with the Cessna singles and especially the 182 has an established place in my heart as the type I have operated and worked on most since I was a wee lad.

I have also built many 182 ARF's and scratch builds and always enjoy when a manufacturer gets the beautiful lines right, I am afriad to say here they got it so wrong that she has lost a lot of that 'cessna sexiness'. I don't mena to slag a good model just a sore point for me and the reason I won't buy one. I am completely familiar with the design rules that dictate certain departures from scale profile on a model but it is less critical at this size and on a design like the high wing Cessnas almost unnecessary. I can list all the faults one by one and you will agree with some maybe not with others but if I put her profile up against the scale profile you will see just how wrong they got it....I am not sure why? The smallest little foamy birds have it much closer and fly just fine....is this just a case of misinterpretation by the manufactuerer?

Case and point, a lot of craftmanship and time went into shaping the blended wing root fillets where the trailing edge of the wing meets the cabin roof for instance, but the rear side windows are horribly mishapen and ruin the entire 'flow' of the window line which on the fullsize follows the elegant line of the rear deck and is a hallmark of the 182, 177 and 210 - again even the cheapest chinese foamy with stickers for windows got this right. Another sore point is the shape of the belly, the Cessnas are defined by their sexy shape where a big, purposeful and menacing nose flows into a sharply tapered tail, the taper far more pronounced on the lower than the upper making the upper deck look almost straight in line with the horizontal plain. The belly tapers up from just behind the spar attachment to a second point where the main gear is fixed just between the two cabin windows and then sharply up to almost a arow point at the tail - on this bird none of that is evident so that if you took away the clever and more accurate trim scheme you would hardly recognize the type.

The cowl is a complete miss, it dulls down the entire front end and completely lacks the sexy, almost bulbous, menacing and mean look of the full size and makes it look a bit of a toy. Another complete miss is the Vertical stab and rudder - another absolute defining hallmark of the type!

I guess it just boggles my mind that these hallmarks of the Cessna design could have been 'overlooked' whilst small details such as the cargo access door, chin intake and control surface corrugations etc. are all faithfully and skillfully executed?? I firmly believe that at this scale and price range more attention should have been paid to the profile of this model so that it more accurately resembles the fullsize - after all it is being marketed as a "scale" model!

I am sincere in my confusion and hoping for an answer that explains it because as a lover of aviation, every airplane is beautiful so rest assured this is not me tearing a design to shreds for the sake of it, as a designer and builder myself who oneday hopes to manufacture, I surely can appreciate the effort and soul that goes into designing a thing of beauty - unfortunately for me this one misses it completely and is very unfortunate because the brilliance of this construction and engineering combined with the artistic flair and accurate replication of the scale profile on something as small as Art-Tech's 500 size Cessna 182 and they would have a true winner in an almost saturated market.

Just my honest 10c

Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
ian51291

Slightly negative impessions !!,oh.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
profmb

Hi
I have just found this whilst searching for something else!

http://www.abellhobby.com/category-s/119.htm

Having looked at this link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50..._1/key_/tm.htm

and then the scale of the model, I am thinking that these could be made to work?

Cheers
Old 10-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Stewb

Gents,

The ridiculous non scale appearance of the undercarriage.

Trial and error has worked and I've just had one of those eureka moments!   Replaced the nose wheel with a 3.5" Sullivan Skylite and put another on a main leg just to see how it looked.

It hit the spot and now I'm buzzin'!

Put another make of 4" on the mains and yep, that's the look so I'll have a 4" pair of Skylites.   I know there's been comments on how ASM may have missed the mark but it looked so good hanging there I didn't want to leave it all alone and I do believe there are now feelings, not love just lust.

I've another simple modification to try soon and if you're interested, just say.

Stew.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
akroblade954

Sounds interesting - can you post a pic or 2??
Old 10-28-2012, 01:32 PM
akroblade954

ORIGINAL: Stewb

Carbon Copy will get a call in a few says mate, ta.

Did you have any joy with this? Have you new under carriage you are using with the 3.5 and 4.0 inch combo mentioned above or are you still on stock legs?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Stewb

Hi Ak,

Never got round to calling Carbon, I'm still using the stock legs.

I spent ages and ages just looking at the existing legs to try and work out what it was that made the model look so weak and weedy and came to a conclusion. Even without reading recent comments on how wrong it actually is and how far off scale the thing is, I wonder if it's closer to a 172 than a 182.

So, the undercarraige. What's needed I think is a wider track to lower the stance and the couple of degree forward sweep but that may be impossible with what we've got. So take the wheel fairings off, look at it and the wheels are so small they look pathetic. I think things become a little more interesting when you look at the stock wheels on the stock legs without the spats. Do it and what do you see?

You'll see that the legs are made to look longer by those small wheels so what happens when you put a bigger wheel on? Yep, you see less of the legs. The legs appear shorter!

Perception I know but it works. A 4" wheel also makes the angle of the legs look better and what would take things about as far as they'd go with the stock stuff is if you rellocated the hole for the axle further up the leg which would lower the plane relatively (having raised it with the 4" wheel). It's a cost effective way of making it look a lot better, try it.

The trial and error of fitting different wheels and the time taken studying the model have been worth it.

Hope I make sense.

Stew.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Silvers

Hi, I am new to this site but have been an RC Pilot for a few years. I am building an ASM Cessna and found this Forum.
My ASM Cessna came with the worst paint job that I have seen on any plane so far!!
From a few feet back it looks good but if you look close it has a couple spots with little or no paint and the areas that have a heavy coat are pitted kind of like the surface of the moon LOL.
Anyone else have a paint job like this on their Cessna? or am I the only one that got this special paint job?
Other then that I love the plane so far and I guess Iwill have to live with this because I am not set up for painting.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Captmicom

Hi Silvers,

You got the custom “Monday Morning†paint job. The craters are called “Fish Eye†caused by oil or bad preparation of the surface. My guess is that the painter came back to work on Monday after a hard weekend and tried to pick up where he left off on Friday. It happens sometime. About the only thing you can do if you can’t repaint it is to fly it until you either sell it or re-kit it.

Have a good one and keep em flyin…!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silvers

Hi, I am new to this site but have been an RC Pilot for a few years. I am building an ASM Cessna and found this Forum.
My ASM Cessna came with the worst paint job that I have seen on any plane so far!!
From a few feet back it looks good but if you look close it has a couple spots with little or no paint and the areas that have a heavy coat are pitted kind of like the surface of the moon LOL.
Anyone else have a paint job like this on their Cessna? or am I the only one that got this special paint job?
Other then that I love the plane so far and I guess I will have to live with this because I am not set up for painting.
Take your cowl or wheel pant with you to a local automotive paint store and see if they can match it. Around here some of the paint stores will put it in a spray can for you.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
profmb

Hey I sympathise with you - mine was probably a Monday morning (or even a Friday afternoon!) job too. Perhaps rather than repainting it - you could be really creative and create a weather beaten crate! Imagine that it survived Mad Max - then you really have fun making more of those 'Fish Eye's! ...shoot a shot gun into it...(before you fit servo's and radio gear!!)

Or...you could just accept it for the poor compromise that it is and enjoy looking at it up there in the sky....this is what I have done. But one day I may well end up doing a major cosmetic job on it...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
smullis
My Feedback: (26)

Well I tell you what I would do since it is winter time and it is the building season, I would send it back and ask for another one if you are not in a hurry to put it together. With the price of the model as it is you should get a quality product. If the company starts getting back returns for shotty
workmanship maybe they will improve on there quality check and do better work. I work hard for my money and want good quality products not junk. If I took my car to the repair shp and they did not correct the problem wouldn't I take it back? Of course I would and so would anyone else.
E-Mail where you got iy and see what they can do for you. Take pictures of what are the defects in your opinion and let them know how you feel about it. Just my two cents worth. Good luck, Steve Mullis
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
NOI53Y

Hey Steve,

Sending these things back in the hope of a replacement isn't an option these days. ASM haven't made these for a while now. Actually i'm not even sure if ASM even exists any more.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM
smullis
My Feedback: (26)

I did not know that.I wonder why they stopped making that perticular model? Didn't Hobby People sell that plane or was it Hobby Lobby? Anyway I guess the modeler is stuck with what he has on hand. I guess it all depends on how much detail the builder wants to invest
in the looks of the plane but you can't see it 300 ft.in the sky. I was gonna get me one of the planes but held off. I have watched the video's of them flying and they look real good in the air and lots of fun flying.
I did like the ASM model though but as I said I held off. I am now the proud owner of a TMMY Cessna 182 35%. I found it on RC Universe. Still it cost me $3000.00 but it was new and basically still in the box. It will not be finished until June.
Anyway good luck on your ASM cessna and have fun. That is what this hobby is all about anyhow. Thanks, Steve Mullis
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Captmicom

Yup, It was Hobby People!! I and a few other hobby shops around the country sold them as well from the same distributor. There may still be one or two in private hands but I think I have the last one left in hobby shop captivity for about a year now. I am going to build it to replace my 182 that I sold last year. I sure miss that plane. I got to say though the Hanger 9 Cessna 182 with a 95" wing span is not a bad sub if you can't find one of these Big ASM 182s.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Silvers

Kind of sounds like a few of them came out of the ASM factory with this paint job!!
Other then that, from what I can tell it looks like a well built airplane.
And from what searching I have done, I also think that ASM has closed the doors. Our local Hobby Shop still has one ASM A-26 INVADER left, and it has a beautiful black paint job on it!!
I do plan on changing a few things, one will be the pull pull system on the rudder. I will be doing the bent steel rod down inside the tail with a double arm control so I don't have the cables comeing up and out the fuse.
The wheels on this plane looked like the where ment to have bearings, so I got some 4x9x4 flanged bearings and they fit perfect!! I know its not a big deal to have bearings in your wheels, but its just cool LOL. And all the play on the axel shaft is gone!!
Thanks for the replys I think I will just fly her with this paint job and just be thankfull that I was able to get one before the Hobby Shops sold out.
Maybe someday I will be able to give Tmmy a call and say "Build me one"

Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Captmicom

That is the best thing to do. Just have fun with it. I like "PROFMB's idea of a weather beaten crate. Age it like it was a well warn trainer. Which Tmmy 182 are you thinking about for the future? I just noticed He now has a 20% 83" wing span for $950.00, 25% 120" wing span for $2100.00 and the Cadillac 35% 157.5" wing span for $3200.00. I think I will try to save my pennies and get the Cadillac. The only down side to that is it won't fit in my VW...lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Silvers

Hey Captmicom,
Before buying my ASM Cessna I emailed Tmmy about his 25% cessna. His Reply said that the 25% is $3200 with shipping. I know thats a lot of money in one way but on the other hand I feel its a fair price because I do not have the skills it takes to be able finnish an airplane off with that much detail.
I love the 35% but it is way to big for me. If I had my own runway right here at my house that is the one I would want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.