Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: *ASM Cessna 182 (10ft) 30-50cc*

Has anyone fitted a lighting system to one of these yet? Want to fit some landing, wing tip, tail fin and strobes, but can't decide where to get them from. Lots of claims of 'ultra bright', 'visible in flight in sunlight', but are they true?????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend at my flying field purchased lights from http://www.rclights.net/. They have all types of setups.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pictures of my ASM 182. the color scheme is from a 182 in the Czech Republic, found from Airliners.net. If you could compare the two, I think you'd find the resemblance. Plane has not been flown yet. 3.2 Gasser engine, Hitech radio converted to 2.4. Great fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The rest of my pictures. ASM interior ( albeit a little overpriced for what you get ). Nav lights and nose bowl landing lights & strobes. I forget where I got them, but I have seen lights from " Details for Scale" and they were very impressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to see your finished colour scheme. Can you reload the pictures so that they zoom up as the zoom is no bigger than the thumbnail?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all, I'm having serious issues with my CG. I'm going with the dle 55, three battery packs in the front and are you all ready...FIVE yes FIVE lbs of lead weight and I'm still tail heavy. The manual say's 110-125mm back from the leading edge measured along the fuelage side. Is this correct? When I measure from the leading edge of the wing tip, it balances. Got Sky, if you are reading this please reply, I read you had the same engine and I wanted to know if you had to modify the firewall somewhat like I did. I can't imagine adding anymore weight to the nose, I just can't figure it out. HELP!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jarealty

Hello all, I'm having serious issues with my CG. I'm going with the dle 55, three battery packs in the front and are you all ready...FIVE yes FIVE lbs of lead weight and I'm still tail heavy. The manual say's 110-125mm back from the leading edge measured along the fuelage side. Is this correct? When I measure from the leading edge of the wing tip, it balances. Got Sky, if you are reading this please reply, I read you had the same engine and I wanted to know if you had to modify the firewall somewhat like I did. I can't imagine adding anymore weight to the nose, I just can't figure it out. HELP!!!
    Hi I have a DLE 55 in mine and had to add 5 lbs to mine to get the CoG right and have no problems flying it with that much lead in it

mardio

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jarealty

You must measure it from the leading edge where it meets the fuselage or the CofG will be wrong.

My engine is an FTL52cc and weighs 1.6kg and i needed 2 and 1/2 pounds of weight up front. Yours weighs 1.35kg so is approx half a pound lighter than mine but, more importantly, your weight saving is right up the front of the plane so I would expect you to need at least 1 pound more weight than me on a model like this. I have three 6.0v NmHi 3700 mah Sub C packs, pushed right up front into the bulkhead firewall (so they are under the top section of the firewall box that you glue on after fitting the engine), so the weight is as far forward as possible.

Also, if you use steel for your stand off mounts instead of the light aluminium ones provided with the engine, this will help you hide some extra weight. I used 60 (15 on each mount to get the correct position) 25mm stainless steel washers, which were much heavier than the aluminium posts.

The other thing I did was get a prop spinner back plate machined from solid stainless steel. This has two benefits as it puts extra weight right at the front and it gives the engine a bigger flywheel effect (so helping get a lower and more reliable idle RPM).

Trust your C of G measurement. If it doesn't balance, firstly move equipment forward and then secondly add weight if it still doesn't balance. For your information, my model weighs 33 pounds dry!!!

Good luck!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Akroblade, I knew something was wrong. I purchased five 1lb weights. This morning I went back to the hardware store and guess what...the weights are 1/2lb each. The five lbs I was using was really 2.5lbs in total. I have a total of 4lbs of weight and the plane balanced. YAHOOO!!!! Thanks again, I'm hoping to maiden next weekend if weather permits...lots of rain here in Miami!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck with the maiden!! High winds here in the UK so no stick time for me today[&o][&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe you all should put something like a G-38, G-45, G-62, Ouadra 50 or Sachs 3.7 on it !! You know !! a heavy reliable engine !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well gents, she finally flew this weekend. From the very start i noticed she was nose heavy with 4lbs. I ended up removing 1/4 for a final weight of 3.75lbs. I still think i can remove some more little by little. Overall im very happy with the plane. I want to start looking into lights and detailing the cockpit area. I will post more pics and video on my next flights. Thanks again to all. [img][/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think you are right. What capacity is your gas tank? See my post on page 5 regarding this. I think the standard 1,000ml tank is too big. Once filled up, that is about 1kg of fuel and its all in front of the CoG position. Haven't done it yet, but going to put a smaller (600ml??) tank in it. This should help for flight performance and 'feel' in the air.

Look forward to the pics and video

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fly baby Fly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67730.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1510965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36124.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	1510966  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Akroblade, I used a dubro 24oz tank mounted behind the firewall 10 to 12 minutes of flight with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with 10 degrees of down flaps. When I landed i always had 1/2 a tank left. I think this tank is perfect, it's not that big and holds enough fuel. I want to go with a three blade prop...mainly for looks but since i'm breaking in my engine i was told to use a 2 blade prop. Do you know anything of this? Thanks again for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 1,000ml tank works out nearly 34 oz !! My guess was right that it was too big then!!! I will try a 600ml / 20oz tank I think....

Out of interest, why were you flying around with 10 deg of flap deployed???

No experience with 3 blade props on engines of this size. I have a 22x10 carbon 2 blade on the FTL 52. It is on the upper size limit for the engine (and ground clearance!), but seems OK for now.... I will keep with the 2 blade as it is more in keeping with the full size C-172's I fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I notice with the flaps down the plane is a little more stable. Plus I like the slow, realistic part of the flight. It's just a preference of mine. Have you decided what light system to go with?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Haven't decided on lighting yet. Have been looking at components to make up my own system. Difficult to justify paying $$$$ for something that is so cheap to buy from electronics suppliers. Will post back here when I have made up something that works well.

I am working on a pilot for it at the moment. Got a full bodied civilian pilot from HPPilots. Ended up going to a 1/5th scale pilot instead of 1/4 scale and even he is too tall for the badly unscale cabin space.....

The other thing I have done is get some nose legs machined from solid. Managed to bend the original one after a couple of big bounces on my last landing. The solid ones are so much stronger!! Might well have a couple of spare solid nose legs coming my way so if any one else has bent their's I may be able to help!!

I have also had some bespoke wing bags made so it's nice and protected in my garage over the good old english winter....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone building an ASM Cessna over the winter? Not flown mine for months [&o]

Hi akroblade, I have just ordered an ASM Cessna, and I am planning to put the new Saito 57T into it. Perhaps it maybe slightly over-powered, but the sound of the Saito will be delightful. I have been researching to see if we can get the Futaba S-Bus system in the UK - but it does not seem that it is available yet. It would be good to experiment with it. I would be very interested to see how others have put lighting systems into theirs. I should get mine underway early in the New Year. Any key building tips - things to look out for / be aware of would be gratefully received! Also anyone know of any good sources to get a good quality pilot to stick into it?
    Cheers
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow!! A £1,000 engine set up in an ASM. That must be a first?? Found a video of a Sukhoi with a Saito 57T in it here Saito 57T Sukhoi. It certainly does sound good! I don't think it will be over powered, should be about right judging by the RPM and recommended prop sizes. I know the manual says 30-50cc, but I would not recommend anything less than 45cc+. My single 52cc with 22x10 carbon prop is quite scale + a bit in reserve - but only a bit!! I am considering putting a Zenoah 62 in it as this will give some more power in reserve and alleviate the need for a kilo of lead up front (the Saito should be spot on). Have a look at the video of my maiden flight on one of the posts above on page 5. As it was the first flight, I flew it flat out to begin with due to nerves and the 20mph cross wind (the 30+deg crab on landing with make you smile!!).

The S-Bus also looks interesting, though I feel very much over the top for this large scale trainer plane. You could fly the thing on analogue servos and as little as 5 channels on the RX. However, I use a 9 channel Spektrum RX and a SM Services battery backer and standard. Hitec digi servos.

As for tips, just have a read through this thread! Pilot wise, I bought an HPPilots 1/5th scale civilian pilot from the States. Not very happy with it though. Spent a long time searching and not come up with anything I could recommend yet. Because of the very un-scale cabin (floor much much too high) it is difficult to get a full full scale (1/4??) pilot in. I bought a 1/5th scale in the end and he is still a bit tall, even with the runners cut off the bottoms of the seat!

Good luck with the build!

Thanks Akroblade...I have a Saito FG30 and it sounds so sweet - to me the fun is not just looking at the se aircraft but the sound that they make too is so important. The Saito's start so well to and anything that removes the unpredicatbility from the flying experience has to be a positive.

What sits under the cabin floor - is it something like the petrol tank? I presume that there is no opportunity to open this part up a bit so that on ecan achieve something more like a scale cockpit?

Here is a good link for model pilots:

http://www.thepilotpeople.co.uk/

I have used one of their WW1 pilots in a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth. I wonder if there is anything better than these?

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi profmb!!

Superb engine. Somehow I couldn't bring myself to spending that kind of money on this model - have you seen one in the flesh yet? Quality isn't brilliant and that's being polite! I do gas turbine models as well so am used to spending money on them!

There is nothing under the floor other than ply formers and, yes, you could cut them out and lower it. However, firstly I just wanted to get it in the air ASAP and second, I am not very skillful at the woodwork!! ARTF for me every time I would like to have someone else do it for me and have already spoken to just the man..........

I did contact the pilot people a few months back and they told me there was a 3 month wait so I didn't order. That was 3 months ago, doh........

The other place that do quality pilots is Perfect Pilots. I saw their pilots at a show and was very impressed. However, 1/4 scale is much too big given the high floor in the cabin and they were quite pricey (£60 or more??) compared to Pilot People at £24. Might have to just order one from Pilot People now as winter has set in......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey akroblade954,

I was at the 1/8 Airforce fly-in at Phoenix back in October of this year and I met Bruce Nordquist how is the owner of X Tec Industries LLC. I own a mobile Hobby shop and he stoped by to show us some of his products. He showed me a light setup and I can tell you that for the size these things are very bright, they blink, and they carry a lifetime warranty on the LED lights. His web site is www.rclights.net if you want to look at them. Good luck

CaptMicom [8D]
    Captmicom...
    RCGF Service Certer USA*Southwest AeroVista Hobbies*Team AV Pro-(We sponsor IMAC Kids)*520-508-7371

HI Ackroblade,
    Thanks for this advice about the ASM. It is so difficult to make any kind of judegement about ARTF's. I read the article in RCM& E - I think that it was, and it was really complimentary about it. I hav read comments on this forum and noted a few issues - but the majority have been delighted. It is means to fly superbly. What issues do you have with it that I should be aware of? I thought that the both the engine and the plane would be ideal partners - putting a two stroke into it would in my view undermine the 'scale experience'. I really appreciate your advice...

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast