Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

What to do with engine... New 1/4 scale piper cub

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

What to do with engine... New 1/4 scale piper cub

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:03 AM
Dan33klein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with engine... New 1/4 scale piper cub

Hello,
im newer to the forum and I come looking for opinions.

i recently acquired a 1/4 scale piper cub. It is 109" wingspan and has never been flown
right now there is a super Tigre s2000 25cc engine mounted in the aircraft. Brand new never been started.

First off, I have never been able to get a super Tigre engine running like I wanted to.
also it's my understanding that these big tigres like lower nitro/lower oil fuel that doesn't seem to be available around me. And they like to drink ALOT of it. And they also need an extensive break in period.

Would you you give the super Tigre a try? Or sell it while it is brand new to try to get the most money out of it and put it towards a 20cc gas engine?

any opinions are appreciated.
thank you
Old 04-16-2016, 05:06 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend with a Super Tigre "powered" quarter scale Cub, too. He can't get his to run correctly, either.

If it were me, I'd use a big glow, twin cylinder, or change over to a gasser.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Dan33klein

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the market isn't so strong to be selling this super Tigre engine. Even though it is made in Italy. Not like the China ones tower hobby is selling now. I'm at about 275$ to get a dle 20cc in there. Plus a new cowl since this one is cut for the super Tigre. If I had a place locally to buy menthanol I would mix my own fuel and that would help with the fuel costs with glow. I would then maybe give the super Tigre a try. but I can't find methanol around here.

Last edited by Dan33klein; 04-16-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful, not all the larger STs take lower oil in the fuel.

I love STs and the carbs are not really hard to set.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Dan33klein

Thanks for the tip. I talked to a local hobby shop today and they actually have 5% nitro in both omega and cool power. 20$ a gallon. Maybe I will give the super Tigre a shot. I would rather not start it if I'm going to sell it since it is brand new. But they don't seem to be worth much either way.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Switch to gas. Those large ST's are nitro guzzlers. I know from experience. I had a 2500. You'll get paid back after a few months of flying and save from then on. Dan.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:44 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

A 20cc gasser may be marginal. I flew my 1/4 scale cub with a G26. I would check around some more before settling on an engine size.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Dan33klein

Thanks for the thoughts. I am going to list the engine for sale on eBay. If I don't get any bites on it in 2 weeks I'm probably gonna break it in and fly it for the time being. I did some research and it seemed like the 20cc was a popular choice with these 1/4 scale Cubs. Some were running .90 4 strokes and said it was more than enough. I seen a few said they ran 30cc gassers but wasn't needed.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:08 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by RBACONS
A 20cc gasser may be marginal. I flew my 1/4 scale cub with a G26. I would check around some more before settling on an engine size.
I fly my Sig 1/4 Cub with an old Zenoah G23 converted to electronic ignition. Does fine, slow rolls and loops from level, and cool stall turns. I run Colemans camp fuel and Klotz. Smells good too.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Dan33klein

What would be the advantage of Coleman fuel over gas
Old 04-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Dan33klein

Also, what do you guys think the super Tigre is worth? Brand new with a Pitts muffler
Old 04-17-2016, 04:15 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan33klein
Hello,
im newer to the forum and I come looking for opinions.

Or sell it while it is brand new to try to get the most money out of it and put it towards a 20cc gas engine?

any opinions are appreciated.
thank you
Sell the ST and buy a Zenoah G26 electronic ignition and you won't go wrong!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DLE-20 is the perfect engine for a 1/4 scale Cub. Flew my 17 lb, DLE-20 powered BUSA 1/4 scale Cub in Scale masters for 3 years, take off and most of the flight were at 1/2 throttle, and at a scaled up, with 1 lb full body pilot, 17 lbs, she was heavy for a 1/4 Cub, they should come in at 14 lbs. Bite the bullet and get the DLE.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Sell the ST and buy a Zenoah G26 electronic ignition and you won't go wrong!
I second that recommendation. My friend has that exact combo. Perfect match! Zenoah motors run like little swiss watches.

You will need to cut the cowl for the exhaust and for the carb venturi. The benefit for the venturi is super easy starting. You can take the plastic choke lever totally off. You just plug the venturi with your thumb, a few pumps on the propeller until your thumb / carb gets wet with fuel, and about 2-3 flips your running. You thumb is the choke and you will not need the lever.

Couple photos of my friends Cub.

Forget the DLE, get the Zenoah. Awesome little engines!

IMHO,

SunDevilPilot

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub 1 - 1.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	915.4 KB
ID:	2157819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed with Hawk - 1.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2157820  
Old 04-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Dan33klein

Thanks guy, I think I'm sold. Just need to try to pedal the super Tigre. Doesn't seem like to much for f a market for large glow engines tho. I will have to look at getting a new cowl. This one is cut for the super Tigre already.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:37 PM
STUKA BARRY

Go or go home. In the 80's the big supers were popular, glow fuel was $13 a gal. Now forget it. I went to gas in 1986 and never looked back. Somebody mentioned a Zenoah G-23, I've got one if your interested, typical Zenoah, hand starts and runs great.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run three 1/4 scale busa cubs on dle20ra's. Perfect match for that airframe. You don't have to cut as much of the cowl out.
Edwin
Old 04-18-2016, 05:08 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guy, I think I'm sold. Just need to try to pedal the super Tigre. Doesn't seem like to much for f a market for large glow engines tho. I will have to look at getting a new cowl. This one is cut for the super Tigre already.
I suggest that you wait, to purchase a new cowl. Give yourself a chance to see if the old one will work with the new gasser.

Large glow engines have certainly lost their appeal. They are tough to sell, these days.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 AM
spaceworm

Have you considered converting your ST to gasoline? Ken Lambert is one source. http://www.lambertsrc.com/engines.html
Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM
Dan33klein

Any idea on what it would be worth?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Dan33klein

I will inquire about converting it to gas.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

While I loved the smaller ST engines back in the day, I never cared much for the larger ones. While some people loved them, my guess is that more hated them. The 2000 was probably one of the better ones of the bunch but my guess it is worth very little these days. Please don't feel insulted but consider yourself lucky if you get any offers at all, even though it is still new.

As others have suggested, I'd highly recommend a small gasser for reliability, good power, low cost fuel and it doesn't burn much of that, and most of all, just a more pleasant flying experience ..... with no slime on the plane after flying. The Zenoah's are excellent engines but will require quite a bit of the cowl be cut away for clearance. I'm partial to the DLE 20, 30 or 35. All will fit your airframe with few modifications. Considering your plane is already built, the firewall to prop distance may be the major determining factor on what will fit. Zenoah will probably get the nod in this measurement.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Dan33klein

No offense taken. I tried buying the plane without the engine for all the reasons listed above. But the seller didn't want to separate. Which was fine because what I paid for it, the engine was basically free. Since I don't think I'll have luck selling the engine. I think I'm just gonna break it in and see how it runs. Maybe I'll have some luck. If not I'll pull it out and drop in. A gasser
Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

No offense taken. I tried buying the plane without the engine for all the reasons listed above. But the seller didn't want to separate. Which was fine because what I paid for it, the engine was basically free. Since I don't think I'll have luck selling the engine. I think I'm just gonna break it in and see how it runs. Maybe I'll have some luck. If not I'll pull it out and drop in. A gasser
Dan! I wouldn't run the ST engine if it is New!! Sell it on E..B....A...Y......and you should get at least $50+ for it, and that is $50+ off of the purchase price of the Cub, or $50 or more towards a gas engine. If you run it, you just took even more off of the value of the ST. Sell it Internationally and maybe someone over in Italy or Europe would want it. I don't have much luck here on RCU.
As you have heard, Zenoah's are great engines! They have been around the longest of any of the ones mentioned, and parts are easy to come by, should you wreck it. I would only get the G20ei or G26ei. The G23 is the earlier model and about 15+ years old. It was also a lot weaker of an engine for performance. Plus, it has a magneto, and that would mean a conversion to Electronic Ignition (more $$) or a lot of tail weight. Buy new one and forget about it! The engine will be around for at least 10 years and probably go through several airframes. If you look at it as a 10 year investment, the engine only cost you about $23 per year of fun. All of this is just IMHO>>>.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM
fly24-7

What would be the advantage of Coleman fuel over gas
Coleman fuel does not contain Ethanol. The Ethanol in the fuel tends to dry out the diaphragm in the carburetor, requiring an occasional carb rebuilds. Put a good quality 20-25cc gas engine in the Cub. Plenty of room for the ignition and additional battery. You'll have a reliable, no hassle set-up.

Last edited by fly24-7; 04-18-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.