Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Help!, DLE55 Blind nut Size? (in firewall)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Help!, DLE55 Blind nut Size? (in firewall)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM
danmart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!, DLE55 Blind nut Size? (in firewall)

Hello to everyone!, and a merry christmas to you all!!

got a brand new 30% extra , my first gasser. And I need to buy the blind nuts that go installed in the firewall, so the bolt can fit throw the blind nut and into the mounting bracket, wich also has a thread...if i am correct :S. the engine is a DLE 55cc. Need to know the blind nut size please!!!! thank you!!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Help!, DLE55 Blind nut Size? (in firewall)

Not a lot of people on RCU today for some reason? If you take your question over to the gas engine forum you can find out what size bolts others are using to mount there 55s and that will tell you the size of the blind nuts. A lot of people don't use blind nuts for engines when they get that big, often they use nuts and washers if they can get them behind the fire wall. Fine thread screws are often used with lock tight compounds too so the screws don't come loose with the added vibration. Gas engine forum would be the place to ask or look around to find your answer.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:52 PM
jetmech05

I think it's either a 4 or 5 mm.....but it really doesn't matter.....it would be better to get the correct length of bolt, allowing for the correct length of the thrust washer and a couple of washers and drill through the firewall and use lock nuts, Gassers vibrate alot more than a glow does I wouldn't trust blind nuts and lock tight.
Gasser usually don't mount with an engine mount, instead they use stand offs, to set the length drilled through the firewall
Old 12-25-2010, 03:36 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need 5 mm bolts..........NOT blind nuts. You should have gotten standoffs and bolts with the engine. You'll use one bolt (four total) from the front of each lug on the engine and one bolt (four total again) on the back side of the firewall. Be sure to use washers that will be big enough to spread the load on the firewall. Yes, use locktite!

Make sure to use a template to drill the firewall. You also need to check to be sure you have the right distance from the firewall to the spinner backplate and you might find you need to shim the standoffs if they are too short or get some shorter ones if they are too long. I usually make some standoffs out of hardwood if the standard ones are the wrong size for my application.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM
danmart

I see... thank you guys for helping me out, I know what to do now
have a merry christmas!!!!