Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Old 10-23-2018, 02:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've always run glow saito's and the fg (petrol) models took a lot of reading the manual for me,still seems back to front re tuning.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:20 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This week I pulled the tank out and found the clunk in proper place and saftied but it wasn't reaching the bottom of the tank; I simply pulled the stopper, cleaned out the tank, rotated the vent a little to allow clocking the stopper so that the carb line was closer to the bottom of the tank. This tweak likewise allowed the clunk to touch the bottom of the tank. Reinstalled everything, charged up and went to the field today. With my wing tote, I had space to bring another gas powered thingy along - a weed-whacker - so I could gain access to drain the club's roller before the winter freeze.

Only one at the field as usual - oh well. Darn it, the wind is coming up too - probably won't be doing any trimming today if I even get airborne. While pulling fuselage from car by the fin, was not happy that the vertical stab shifted some and was rocking in it's slot between the horizontals. Since anxious to fly, I taped the fillet entry of the fin down to the fuse to preclude any chafe or wear. Still concerned over losing those hairpins that secure the jury struts and lift struts at the fuse juncture, I oriented the pins so they were aligned with the struts and simply taped them in place with what I had on hand which was Scotch Magic tape. Knew it would be a PITA to remove but I really wanted to fly.

This time I remembered to bring my Sullivan Tail Anchor so I wouldn't be trying to use one of those damn, geezer stands like I did on the first outing. Cheated and also brought along a Hi-Torque Sullivan starter. Well the engine runs - let's do a quick range test and then let's go fly. I did - taxiing is straight forward - once in position on the runway, power advanced slowly and with tail up, steering and take-off was easy - climbed to reasonable altitude (no higher than 399' of course!) mostly flying race-track pattern because we don't want to do anything risky here on the maiden... well... nah... let's try a few things. Performed a roll and noted a hiccup from the Zenoah during inverted - after a couple more rolls, a loop, a sloppy stall turn, without any more hiccups, I decided to land. In order to lose altitude in a hurry, executed a Split-S, pausing while inverted to see if the engine acted up - it didn't, entered a high down wind, turned base, then turned final - still a bit high - wow, no problem - plenty of drag I guess - landed with change to spare. Yay, first-flight jitters out of the way!

One thing I noted is a bit of slight surging at low throttle while I drained the tank empty.

Included picture of the black Ultracote sunburst trim on the left wing panel that began puckering on the rather cool, 59 degree day.

Last edited by H5606; 10-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

43-46 degree F temps; winds light and variable yesterday with blue skies. Needled the carb to try to optimize settings according to willig10 on page 44 of this thread. Noticed higher RPM numbers on Hi needle when richening. Not necessarily correct but settled on richer settings for both needles compared to the factory settings. Long idle still resulted in what I consider good acceleration to full throttle. First flight very short - landed to inspect airplane after hearing a noise on takeoff (a "springing" noise) - perhaps it was just a wheel spinning too fast on a dry axel. Put in a full flight with the engine problem occurring again - it sagged while inverting during three separate rolling maneuvers. Landed and picked the airplane up and inverted while engine was at idle. Noticed some slight surges but engine didn't quit. Refueled and flew again - this time held the inverted position in flight and engine quit - landed and restarted. Flew an entire flight staying upright, spent some time trimming the airplane (some up elev and some rt ail), and engine performed fine with powered landing and taxi back to end day. Black, oily goop evident on left gear leg behind exhaust stacks. Didn't try inverting airplane at idle in flight to see what happens yet.

When the tank was out of the airplane, noticed the clunk is slow to react to gravity when inverting it probably due to the stiff tubing; can this slight delay cause an apparent fuel starvation issue for these gasoline burners? If not, what else should be looked at on a stock setup (Zenoah G-26 w/ magneto). Am running ethanol enhanced gas.

Help appreciated.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can't help engine wise i run a saito fa182 flat twin in mine.They sure are pretty to look at in flight,or anywhere really,good luck.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 AM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With the tank out again, noticed the clunk nearly remains at the bottom of the tank when inverting. Someone I know was kind enough to give me some Viton tubing to substitute for the stiff, Tygon pickup tube found inside the BNF tank.

Heating and twisting big wing panels by yourself can be a hassle; its so easy to go too far the other direction. In an effort to eliminate the roll tendency, lengthened the right rear lift-strut one full turn at the fuse fitting to see if it takes out some of the right trim.

Back when putting airplane together, noticed negative camber in wheels, verified with triangle. Rather bothersome, so clamped L/G in vise and tweaked to TLAR.

The Jim Moss signature trim feature on the aft fuselage is poorly executed in this smaller rendition of the Taylorcraft - i.e. too much spacing between colors. Ultracoat doesn't stick to itself very well and this trait comes in handy to pull off the red and black stripes without any heat. Acetone followed with alcohol cleans up any leftover color/adhesives. Used wax paper to make a template and cut patches to apply and create an alternate trim scheme.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 PM
Rudolph Hart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd like to see how it all comes out mate
Old 12-02-2018, 05:07 PM
H5606

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gold makes for nice contrast with the red, white, and black trim scheme.

2 3/4" strip of Monokote ironed down to a cutting mat covered with clear packing tape on low heat, then laid out lettering with a Sharpie pen for a right slant, cut all the horizontal lines, then the verticals, and finally the curves with an X-Acto knife. Repeat for left slant and wash off Sharpie marks with alcohol.

Laid out the lettering on the fuselage side for cursory view before adhering permanently.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Rudolph Hart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice!