Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building a Gasser on a Budget - Need Help

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building a Gasser on a Budget - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
fast_eddie70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Gasser on a Budget - Need Help

Hello All,

I'm looking to build a Gas RC plane on a Budget. I assume smaller will help keep the costs down so I'm thinking of a 20cc to 26cc engine and a 70" or 80" wingspan plane. I have never built a gasser so I am looking for any tips, comments or suggestions on how to do this while keeping the overall project cost down. I'm not a 3D flyer but would like to build a Sport-Type Aircraft if possible. I would also like to hear and see some of your projects current and past.

Here is my Starting point,

- Looking for a good airframe to start with??

- Looking for Suggestions on engines, CRRC??

- What type of Servos are Needed?? I'm a Hitec guy

- Battery Systems, I believe you need 2, one for the Servos & Receiver and One for the Engine Ignition.

(Please Keep in Mind this is Building a Gasser on a Budget) and I am a Newbie to Gas Aircraft

Thanks

Ed
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Building a Gasser on a Budget - Need Help

Understanding that opinions are what they are , mine are inserted between your questions below.

ORIGINAL: fast_eddie70

Hello All,

I'm looking to build a Gas RC plane on a Budget. I assume smaller will help keep the costs down so I'm thinking of a 20cc to 26cc engine and a 70'' or 80'' wingspan plane. I have never built a gasser so I am looking for any tips, comments or suggestions on how to do this while keeping the overall project cost down. I'm not a 3D flyer but would like to build a Sport-Type Aircraft if possible. I would also like to hear and see some of your projects current and past.

Here is my Starting point,

- Looking for a good airframe to start with??
http://www.dynaflite.com/airplanes/dyfa3035.html
That's just one of many so don't get hung up on that particular one. I'm just posting one example that answers your question.

- Looking for Suggestions on engines, CRRC??
Lot's of choices, but for small gas engines, I've always had a soft spot for the little Zenoah's (G26 especially) because they're not that expensive, not that heavy, plenty of power for their size and intended uses, and they run dependably.

- What type of Servos are Needed?? I'm a Hitec guy
For a giant on the smallish size as it would be if you used a smallish gas engine, just use regular servos. Just for fun, though, you should put a standard servo on each half of the elevator and give each aileron it's own servo as well. The one place to use a larger, more powerful servo would be on the rudder. It still gets just one servo, but it should be bigger (more powerful) than a standard servo.

- Battery Systems, I believe you need 2, one for the Servos & Receiver and One for the Engine Ignition.
If you use electronic ignition, yup, the engine should get it's own battery.
Otherwise, just set it up the way you normally do except use a larger flight battery, like maybe three times or more the size in MAH rating than you use with your smaller glo aircraft.

(Please Keep in Mind this is Building a Gasser on a Budget) and I am a Newbie to Gas Aircraft)
If you stay in the smallish range of giant aircraft, they aren't hardly any more expensive to build than any glo aircraft. If you then factor in the cost of glo-fuel, a gas powered aircraft becomes, like, a zillion times cheaper to fly after it's built than a glo-fuel aircraft.

Thanks

Ed

Good luck. Once you make the move to giants, you might find that you don't go back to the smaller ones until you're too old to lift the big ones.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
beepee

I second the G26. Bullet proof. Good size for many decent sized airframe, PLUS it runs very well on the standard magneto ignition, thus no second battery. There are some Big Sticks out there that would work. Most anything around 80" wing span.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM
ridergary
My Feedback: (75)

If I were you I'd keep my eye on the used market or ask around your local clubs for a good G38 or Quadra 42. Many good flights were put on this type of engine before electronic ignitions were in vogue. They will easilly fly a plane up to 80" wingspan and even larger depending on weight. Lots of clubs have swap meets and auctions this time of year and they are also a good source of cheap planes and accesories.

Good Luck.......Gary
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
davei
My Feedback: (56)

I scratch built a Edge from 3-view. Used foam board from Hobby Lobby for formers and ribs. Carbon arrows for leading edge and landing gear. Canopy from a liter pop bottle. 25cc conversion from Brilelli. Cheap large scale servos(about 3times the weight and power of regular servos). Worked great until my "dial-a-wreck" xmtr crapped out, and strained it thru a tree. Can't get much cheaper than that.
A flying buddy has a Sig 4star 120 with a XYZ 25cc,( that cost about $130 from Hobby City). Flies great.
The advice on giant stick, and Zenoah 26 is right on, too.
Dave I
Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many will argue this suggestion, but least cost might be a weedtrimmer conversion engine and a SPAD airplane. Here is a link to the SPAD forum (http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14166) and from there you can search for plans, building tips, material sources, etc.

Engines can be minimally converted using the existing magneto ignition. mounting plate, prop hub and trimmed flywheel. Again the SPAD site will offer help. Go to the gas forum and search for gassers and conversion engines. Carr and JAG engines are two of many that can provide mounts, hubs and flywheels for conversionms. Engine sizes can be as asmall as 18cc up to big chainsaw engines of 42 cc and bigger. Likely a 25cc to 32 cc would be the best place to start and many engines are available in that size. Check auctions and ebay and club yard sales for planes and engines.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:02 AM
fast_eddie70

Does anyone have suggestions on Airframes?? I'm thinking about a Sig Four Star 120, I've seen a couple running gas. I've also thought about a used Giant Stinger (no longer being made) I would prefer an Extra 300 possibly the CMP 140 size model or CMP 120 Chipmunk. I've heard that the quality is poor on the CMP models.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A GP ugly stick 60-90 will fly with a toro 25 on it.

You have to shorten the nose, and mount the radio gear and battery where ever it needs to be to balance..
I think mine came out around 8 pounds, a G26 would probably be insane compared to the toro...
Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
playntraffic

Try Valleyviewrc.com or Peakmodel.com. They have plane/engine combos at good prices.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/Sukhoi%20Su-26m.htm

You'll need metal gear servos. I use the Tower Hobbies TS-160 servos on my 120 sized planes. They are metal gear digital at a good price. Your existing Hitec arms will work with these.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
LunaSea

SIG 4star120, BalsaUSA ThunderBug120 or BalsaUSA Stingray120 all good choices and can frequently be found on eBay or swap meets still in the box for about $100-125 each (the BUSA kits are no longer produced but many still around). Also the Bridi OldTimer and Stick are good choices and are still available (www.bridiairplanes.com) only $130 including shipping. These are SOLID (albeit somewhat heavy) kits. All will fly decently with a Homie 25cc or Ryobi 31cc weedie conversion (MANY around already converted for about $100 each, eBay). The Bridi kits will REALLY fly w/ a G38. All have decent basic aerobatic capabilities and are fairly tough. All are fairly easy builds (assuming you have SOME building experience). All will require either 5 or 6 servos (depending on whether you use 1 or 2 for elevator control). Standard servos will work, but are marginal, S03T servos from www.servohut.com are an excellent value and will perform well in any large plane that doesn't require the most crisp airobatics (like 3D). I personally like covering with fabric/paint but that requires additional acquired skills. It can be less expensive and much more durable than MoneyCote, but if you are not familiar with it, the plastic wraps are easier.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Decided to give the gas thing a try recently myself. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I found a deal on a "out of box/new" Quadra 42 and bought that pretty reasonable. After hunting for an airframe quite a while, finally settled on a Giant Sportster. This has turned out to be a pretty decent combination for sport type flying. One of the big lessons learned is the rear exhaust layout of the G-38/US 41/Quadra 42 families don't require that you have to have a cowl too hacked up for exhaust clearance. I ran into lots of "static" regarding the cd/mag type ignition from the local experts, and found that it was completely unfounded. This airframe anyway, has plenty of wing area to handle the extra weight of that, as well as the spring starter this motor came with. Very docile on final. I did compensate, anticipating a nose heavy condition, by ignoring the recommended distance from the firewall to spinner, choosing instead to minimze that. This let me balance with no ballast other than mounting a sub-c battery pack just ahead of the rear stab. After proper choking, this motor starts first try nearly every time. Metal gear servos at rudder and ailerons, karbonite on the elevators. FWIW
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
maninblk

Well i did the same thing on a budget, choices were

OS-160.. found a used one for $200
Seagull models Extra 260, 74"wingspan, 160-210 $249
JR 821 servos all around $30bucks each x6

so for right around $600 this plane was in the air....... It flies really sweet. Now if i was to go gas, just would add $100 for difference in price for DL-30 gas engine....
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM
playntraffic

ORIGINAL: maninblk

Well i did the same thing on a budget, choices were

OS-160.. found a used one for $200
Seagull models Extra 260, 74''wingspan, 160-210 $249
JR 821 servos all around $30bucks each x6

so for right around $600 this plane was in the air....... It flies really sweet. Now if i was to go gas, just would add $100 for difference in price for DL-30 gas engine....

Yes, but the things like batteries, switches, extensions, kill switches, spinner, prop, servo arms, etc adds up quick.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
fast_eddie70

Great stuff coming in,

Question - Does anyone have feedback on CRRC engines or SPE engines?? I've seen 26cc engines for $189 Also is a 120 or 150 size plane the correct airframe for a 26cc ?? Or should you look at overall weight of the plane??

Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

those airframes should suit 20 to 26 gassers ok. I would make sure they are built well enough to support a gas engine.
I have seen 1 spe and it didnt seen to run very good I dont know why have not seen any crrc engines. I have however seen the Aerovate engines and they look nice and run very good and the price is good too. my buddies has a 26 cc and it runs awesome. he is the kind of pilot who always has the top of the line stuff. 3w aeroworks, and he really like his Aerovate.

http://www.kmp.ca/index.php?cPath=40...ef1533b5747c07

Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

In that size range...the DL 30 and MLD 28 seem to be very popular.

Ive been looking too and the Wildhare Baby Edge and baby Extra seem to be priced very well. Check them out.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
fast_eddie70

RO347 - Thanks,

I really like the Baby Edge 540 price is $319 it's also Denver Bronco Colors Orarange and Blue. Does anyone know where to buy these or are they only availabe from Wild Hare RC??

Very cool looking planes...

Ed
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
ndb8fxe
My Feedback: (1)

Does this bird need to be new? I have comm only found 25% birds receiver ready for around $500. I found this to be the most ecconomical way to get into Giant scale. I chose to get something with a 50cc engine for growth potential.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I second the Wildhare planes. I fly the 100cc Edge and the 100cc Extra. Awesome flying planes! The only place you can buy them is direct from Wildhare. Tom Fawcett is the owner and a great guy to do business with. He stands behind his products 100%! He has package deals that include the plane, DLE 30 engine, servos and I think prop and spinner. I gaurantee you won't be dissapointed!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the rcgf 20cc. Really like it, reliable, easy starting, can use your starter if you want, and very affordable. Pretty simple engine and service from Jodi at Valley View is exceptional.
Edwin

Oops! Got my vendors mixed up. Its Henry from RC Aero Products. Jodi does CRRC. Both good guys.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 AM
fast_eddie70

Just in time for Christmas, RCS SV 17cc - http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/RCSSV17-H.html $179. Looks like the folks at RCS have just made .60-.90 size models capable of gas. I'm very excited to see this as I am rethinking the size of my gas build.