Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Cessna 182 or similar

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Cessna 182 or similar

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
c_nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 182 or similar

Hi all,

I have been reading build threads on various Cessna's for the past month and realise there is a lot of experience here on the subject, so I thought I'd get some advice before I purchase.

Briefly, here's my story, I am returning to the hobby after a 25 year break caused by that little thing called "life", when I exited the hobby, I was flying my second plane and was about to start building a TF DC-3 with a pair of OS Rotaries. Unfortunately, life went in other directions and all my stuff was sold off. (such is life)

Now I am back, I have spent the last two months flying RealFlight G4.5 just to get my thumbs and head back in the "hangar", I joined a fantastic clubwww.larcs.com.au(website nearly finished) and had a flight on the club trainer. To my surprise, that flight was pretty effortless and given that it looks like I will regain my flying skills fairly quickly, I am very reluctant to spend money on a trainer when I am going to loose interest in it after a few weeks.

My real desire lays ahead in a Giant DC-3, either scratch built from Ziroli Plans or Perhaps the TMMYComposite 150". However, I realise that I need to get some hours up and so I have decided that the DC-3 will probably be my 3rd aircraft. Start with something stable in a single engine, then look at a stable twin for twin training and then "the girl" (DC-3).

So, now I havemany decisions to make since the hobby and equipment has advanced so much in the last 25 years, I have Purchased my Radio JR DSX9 and very happy with that now I need something to fly. I prefer scale to 3D and thinking that the girl will be 140-150" I would probably be better off starting with something larger and possibly Gas rather than nitro (guidance requested here) I thought I might be better off starting with a high wing and tricycle undercarriage (but could be guided either way) and slowly became interested in the Cessna 182 and similar.

Iwant ARF for this first model simply because I want to get in the air butI don't mind "crafting" my way around anysub standard features in an ARF kit. I used to scratch build and am not afraidto get my hands dirty if needed. So far, I have researched build threads on (and am keen on) the following;

[*]Top Flite - 81" Cessna 182 (ARF Gold Edition)[*]CMPro - 83" Cessna 182[*]Hangar 9 - 95" Cessna 182[*]Austars - 98" Cessna 206 Stationair[/list]
    What I want from this project is a nice scale appearance and ideally, an engine nicely hidden away inside the cowl.

I am still unsure if I should go Four Stroke nitro or Gas so would like some advice there as well, The new Saito Four Stroke Gas engines look pretty tempting but the cost is right up there

Anyway, any helpful opinions would be greatly appreciated, or if you think there are better options for me then please feel free to point me in the right direction, I'm here to learn

Thanks
    Craig

Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 182 or similar

Did you look at TMMY's smaller 182? It is designed much like to larger one and should fly just as well.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM
c_nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 182 or similar

Yes, I did consider that however I am looking for something now and the TMMY is special order with about a 3 month waiting list.

My DC-3 will likely come from TMMY

However, you made me check the Australian distributor for TMMY and the reminded me about their 96" Cessna 152 (Austars Models) so feel free to add opinions on that one as well

Thanks
Craig