Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

AUSTARS MODEL new 120” Ag Husky build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

AUSTARS MODEL new 120” Ag Husky build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM
trent collins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AUSTARS MODEL new 120” Ag Husky build

mmmmm, a little research shows in a Youtube licencing issue. As I used music in the video it has been blocked in some countries and not others - how wonderful!!!!

Im not going to remake the video tonight so until it gets uploaded and stored on the austars models webpage directly there are a number of ways to get around it. A quick google search gave me heaps of websites. I cant try the methods as the video plays fine for me so I cant really check them. I would suggest trying:

http://keepvid.com/

Just paste the url of my video into this page (my url is): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zpgg0xctXI

Then you can download the video in a number of formats, give the page a second and the links appear in green. Now you can watch at your leisure off your own PC.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHahahaha! STILL!!! didn't work! I got this:

Sorry, could not retrieve the download links. Please try again later. We are working on a fix. Thank you for your patience.

Doomed to not see this vidio!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
dragonfly60

Trent,
Your better off using VIMEO, It doesn't compress the video anywhere as bad as Youtube and no worries about what music you use!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
musiccityfan

Still no luck on the video. [&o]
Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
pc55bomber

Working on it Guys.
Cheers Paul
Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
trent collins

Video now available here for those with trouble accessing the earlier post

http://www.vimeo.com/11200078
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM
musiccityfan

Awesome job fellas! She looks and flies great!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 AM
bignuts181

Hey guys the video looks great and yes you are rite unless you have the power I wouldn't recomend the towing tower as it is simply too easy for a glider pilot to stall your tug and make you aim at the ground. I built and reviewed the first generation ag husky and have to say the new one is a big improvement. The bridel system is the easiest to overcome the towing woes and is definately the safest. Nice work guys.

Incidentally my ag husky is now up for sale ready to run...ie bind and fly, drop me a line if your interested.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 AM
doitbe

hi Bignuts

pls send email and i will send u a lot off pics how we did the towing in belgium
not poss to upload pics here

greetz
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM
pc55bomber

Guys
The video is now up on Austars webpage http://www.austars-model.com/dispdet...02031505438081
Cheers Paul
Old 10-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Currawong

This is a great thread Paul.

Very interested in the towing release installation. Looks like a good solution for a low-winged aircraft.

Happy landings.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 AM
doitbe

The Belgiun towing husky
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35256.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	1518208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37613.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	1518209   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26521.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1518210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24507.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1518211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65160.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1518212  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Currawong

Very impressed with your solution to the tow-release mechanism located near thrust line and just aft of CofG, which makes intuitive sense to me.

But I note on many high-wing tugs the release is located well aft of CofG near the wing trailing edge. Why have you fallas gone with a mid chord solution?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM
doitbe

HI  no the towhook is right on de CG buth in a straight line whith the engine center we tow up to 18 KG
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
doitbe

some more off the towing husky
the red one 55cc DLE
the yellow one electrical 8000W turnigy engine 42 Volts
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
doitbe

the pics
Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Currawong

My old flying comrade Southern Cross took the plunge and received a 120" AgHusky last week.

The size and general finish sure are impressive.

Less impressive are the damaged and missing parts.

We are currently negotiating with Austars and keeping fingers crossed for a happy outcome.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 AM
trent collins

Hi Currawong,
Good luck with the build. My 120" bird is still going strong. Check the fuse join underneath on the section behind the undercarriage. Mine had a hard flopped landing from a fill in tug pilot and it bent the undercarriage and cracked the fuse join a little. I straightened the U/C and added a 2 inch wide strip of 2oz glass along the join of the bottom of the fuse in the section from the firewall to the U/C mount, then from the U/C mount to the next former aft. No damage sustained on the outside so thats all I did and now its stronger than ever (note this is way easier with the engine off). I still havent fitted the false firewall permanently which made it easy to simply unbolt the front end to do the repair (I dont plan on changing this system, its working fine to date).

Here's some pics from demo flights from the air show at williamtown RAAF base:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 AM
doitbe

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Mijn documenten\Mijn afbeeldingen\vliegers[/img]this is the way we keep him on his wheels
Old 11-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Currawong

In the process of re-gluing most timber parts. As supplied, the wing is only tack glued, but removing the control surfaces allows access through the gaps to the whole internal structure of ribs. Careful application with some purpose built long-snout glue pots is proceeding slowly and methodically.

Of particular concern is the engine-mount box, which will be strengthened with gussets as well as re-glued.

We discovered that the a tailplane carbon locating lug had been pressed and glued into its block without being drilled properly. The block is split and the lug is misaligned.

Austars say they have forwarded our concerns to the manufacturer and have agreed to replace a swag of damaged and missing parts. But over a month after delivery of the airframe, we have not received them.

Ambivalent feelings about our Aghusky 120". It will be made airworthy but is requiring a lot of work to get it there. My impression is that we got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon kit - you know - a lemon.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 AM
trent collins

Stick with it mate, its a real nice flying aircraft once its done. Have you stocked up on lead, you'll need to i you want to get it balanced. What engine are you going to use?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Currawong

Our experience with the Aghusky 120" continues to be mixed.

The good news:

Construction is well underway. The engine mount is beefed up almost beyond recognition - lots of steel. Thinking was to put weight in structure rather than dead lead and make the mount really solid. The tow release mechanism is well advanced and the wings are nearing completion.

The bad news:

There are further disappointments with the airframe. One conundrum we haven't solved yet is the wing strut mounting nuts in the fuse. Port is 28mm further inboard than starboard and very difficult to access the anchor point to modify.

Although the cowling has been modified to take a big twin, it has been done to suit one specific engine - that sold by the distributor. Fitting a Zenoah GT80 required recessing the mounting box and cutting holes in the cowl for the plugs. The blisters are of no use for this installation.

Only half the damaged and missing parts have arrived. We got so sick of waiting that we spent an hour in the local bolt shop making up a set of replacement nuts, bolts, washers and screws. The upside is that high quality components are guaranteed.

The distributor put the wrong address on the nuts and bolts package and it is thought to be in Queensland somewhere. Bit ordinary really.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
trent collins

Ah yes, the wing struts. Most difficult part of assembly at the field is getting the wing struts screwed into the fuse. My kit as two bolts per strut on the fuse end and a single bolt per strut on the wing end. To date Ive only ever bothered inserting one bolt per strut on the wing end. By the time I get one in I cant be bothered putting the second one in. My best process so far is to put them on before the wings, that way you can move them up/down/left/right while pushing the bolt in and feeling for the nut, little tricky but works ok.
Maybe your struts only have 1 hole drilled instead of two, can you feel two nut holes in the ply block inside the fuse that they bolt to? Maybe drill the sceond hole in each strut, I choose whatever hole I can get the bolt in on the day.
To attach the strut fairings on the fuse end I put put the struts on, wings on, covered the fuse with masking tape and then stuck the fairings to the strut with silastic. It was just general household silastic and so far its work well. Gives them a soft mouting point which allows some movement when your trying to bolt the stut on at the field.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM
steve1814

I know its been a while since anyone has posted, but I am about to finish up mine and am working on the C/G. What was the final determination for the C/G and where was it measured from? Right now, going with the recommended C/G, I am looking at 3lbs of lead at the firewall with a total AUW @ 37lbs and I am worried[]

cheers,
Steve
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
pc55bomber

Hi Steve
Stick with the recommended CG and dont worry about the weight it flies great, ours weighs in at 17kg (37lbs) as well.
The CG is measured from the wing LE proper, forget the small extra LE part at the root, just draw a line along the LE and exclude that part and measure from the line where the wing root meets the fus. We did quite a few calculations and lots of trial and error finding that recommended CG.
Good luck with the maiden flight.
Cheers
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.