Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Giant scale Lanier Stinger

I just purchased a giant scale Stinger at a swap meet. It has a Super Tigre 3000 glo engine on it and I want to replace it with a gas engine. The only gas engines I have on hand is a Quadra 35 anda Ryobi. I dont know which model the Ryobi is, but it has the carb mounted on the back of the engine. Does anyone know if a .35 size gas engine will fly the Stinger okey? I dont do 3-D flying, only loops, rolls, and basic flying.
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Giant scale Lanier Stinger

That giant stinger is a horsepower sponge! I've flown mine with a g62 (marginal) to a 100cc (great). A 35cc is not gonna do it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engines you are considering are probably two small both in power and weight.

Which Stinger do you have; the kit built or the ARF? The Kit built planes end up about 20lbs and the ARFs are somewhat lighter.......depending on how much reinforcing you do on the firewall and the wing saddle......both areas reported as weak in the ARF.

The original Stinger was designed around the stock G-62........the plans show the G-62.
    The airframe is short nosed with a long tail moment. You need around 5lbs of engine to get it to balance. I used a G-62 light with electronic ignition and ended up moving the engine 3 inches ahead of the firewall.......with stand-offs.........to get it to balance.

Unless you want to add a bunch of lead to the nose, a Stock G-62 or a larger engine of some type is indicated.

I use a 22 X 10 carbon prop and have more than enough power to take it vertical.

The airframe is a great flyer.........very forgiving........excellant slow speed characteristics

Hope this is of use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I actually have one of these that was crashed..I rebuilt it as a stik . none of the plastic turtle deck and such.
    This is the biggest one at about 84 inch wingspan..the wing looks like a pickup tailgate..but bigger !
    I actually flew this thing with a converted toro25cc as a test! it was scary..like a b17 with double fuel and bombs! Only a history of flying underpowered planes saved me.

We then bolted a Poulan 36cc or is it a 38cc? on it. This motor is a chainsaw motor and is much stronger than a weedeater motor. This flies real respectable at around 15 pounds. It will by no means 3D..but it flies pretty decent...We have even used the plane for some glider tugging..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the Stinger I have is a 120 size; not the Giant Scale. Mine has an 81 inch wing span and it is about 60 in. long on the fuselage from nose to tail. I believe I was mistaken when I called it a Giant Stinger. The person who had it before I bought it had a Super Tigre 3000 glo engine on it, but I dont know how well it flew. The engine was minus the carb when I bought it. I would like to find a carb from an ASP .90 engine to put on it. I read where this is a good carb for this engine.
    I have put a Ryobi gas engine on it today, it is about 31 cc. I also have a Quadra 35, but it is old and I just was not sure about it. If this is the 1.20 size Stinger, which I feel sure it is, the Ryobi should fly it okey. This plane was built from a kit. Looks like it has a lot of time on it, but I only got it for a fixer-upper to have fun with. Dont really care if it looks fancy or not. Does this sound like the 1.20 size Stinger?
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up a g 38 and put it in my stinger to test out the engine but have not flown it yet, I have run it on the ground and I think it will have the power to take off and fly but will have to gain some altitude and then dive it to do any rolls. As I said it is to test out the engine and another g 38 once I get it for a D-18 I want to build next winter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have the giant stinger or the 1.20 size? If the G38 is barely enough power for the 1.20 size, then I know the engine I have on it now wont do the trick.
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is the giant scale, I know that it realy pulled on the ground well but did have to re balance it before flying and then the snow came so no test flight yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iI have the 120 size stinger with a 41cc us engine, flyers it soo good and it will hover, but almost no pullout. The 120 has a 84 inch wing or they gave the option to cut it down to 81.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess it would be safe to say that a Quadra 35 would be just barely enough power to fly the 1.20 Stinger? I just had one laying around and wanted to put it in something, and I got this Stinger really cheap, just the airframe. I definately do not want to under-power it. I dont fly 3-D, but I dont want it to take the entire lengty of the runway to get off the ground and not be able to pull out of unexpected problems. What do you think about the Quadra 35?
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess it would be safe to say the Quadra 35 would not have enough power? I just happened to have one laying around and wanted to use it in something. But I dont want the Stinger to be underpowered to the point it takes most of the runway to get off the ground and not be able to pull me out of trouble if I needed a burst of power. What do you think about the Quadra 35 to power the Stinger 1.20? I also have a Ryobi 31 cc that is a newer engine.
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some folks in here don't know their Stingers......if you have the 1.20 version 80" span then the Quadra WILL fly it but it will by no means have excessive power. The "Giant Stinger" has an 84" span and is considerably bigger despite the only 4" difference in span and is perfect for the G-62 ( I know, I have one I built from a kit ).
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Red Max, I have been flying a 120 stinger for over 18 years on a ST 3000, then swapped it for a ST 2500 and the vertical is the only difference, a Q35 or G38 would fly it fine, I just finished scratch building a 84" Giant Stinger, someone gave a set of cores and plans and now I'm close to covering mine, has G62 hanging out front, the carb you want for your ST3000 is a OS 7D off a 90 or 1.08 FSR O.S. engine, all mine work and start well with this combo, also 10-10 on the fuel if you can find it, cool power is 10-12, works fine swinging a 18x8@ 7400, hope this helps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engine that came with my Stinger (1.20 size I assume) is a Super Tigre 3250. It does not have a carb. Ed Mooreman recommended an ASP .90 carb or larger. My local hobby shop has an ASP carb for a .91. I think I am going to try that one. Sounds like, from what I have read on these posts, is the 3250 would power it very well. Ed said I could wrap the carb where it goes into the base, with aluminum tape if I dont have the sleeve that goes in it since the carb is smaller where it goes into the carb base. He said to use silicone sealant to seal the carb. The only thing that worries me about this is the tape might eventually work loose. I'm hoping to find something more secure as an insert.
    Old, but not bold pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Red Max, that tape recomendation is not to good, older ST 2000 have a sleeve in them from the factory due to they used to use a standard 60 carb on them for years, I still have several motors, the OS 7D carb will fit right into your 3250 and work great, taping is a bad idea as you already suspect. Snoop around EBay and see if you can buy a ST or OS carb.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know this is an older post but I have a stinger (kit built) about 88" or so and a G-62 takes it off in about 5 feet and I fly around at 1/4 throttle. Great airplane>>>
    Coach Davis

\"Life is Tough. Adapt and Overcome.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok I took the stinger up with the g 38 today and was happy the engine ran real well but it is under powered for the stinger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What prop you have on the 38? I would suggest a Xoar, Vess etc. If it was a Master Airscrew or the Zinger then yeah, the performance would deff. improve drastically with the addition of a good prop!!!!!!! It is known that most run a 50cc to a G-62 on this plane, prob. more 62's than anything. The two were destined to be together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 84 inch stinger flies well with the g-62, it is not the arf, I built it with foam sheeted wings, now on the other hand the 1.20 size arf is lighter and smaller and flies well with a much smaller engine. There is alot of people talking about stingers and not realizing what model they have.
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do have a master airscrew on the plane and was not even sure it would fly the stinger but it did, as I said in post # 6 the plane is to test the engine. I did not expect any great preformance out of the plane/engine combo, I did like how the g 38 pulled the plane off the ground and how it did pull it in the air even being under powered. After some more flying I will put it away till I get another g 38 and test that engine out on it then I will think about putting the supertiger 4500 back on or look for a g62 to test on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes...lots of people get the Stinger series confused for whatever reason! For the record, there was in order from largest to smallest:

Monster Stinger (106" I believe) 100cc+

Giant Stinger ( 84") I built and still have one 50cc+ most use the G-62

1.20 Stinger (80") 30cc+ good for a G-38, DL30, etc.

.60 Stinger

.40 Stinger

.10 Stinger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thread hasn't been touched in about 3 years, is anyone still flying their Stingers around?

Got some video shot over the last couple of months. Won this Giant Stinger from one of the Patriarchs in the club who passed away, still consider it his even after refurbishing the plane. Has the G62 with the cd ignition and using an EzUhf transmitter, no one is going to jam this one from going in.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Is3yfDDtUM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wLjOzW7jA[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I actually have one of these that was crashed, and given to me, I rebuilt it as a stick... I am embarrassed to say it hasn't flown in awhile. I need to get it off the rack and see how its working.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definitely one of the most forgiving airplanes i will have ever flown. The original owner had alot of old wiring and felt it all needed to get replaced. Then took it a step further and got all the turtlebacks and cowling cleaned up and shot them with Finish 1 acrylic enamel, mixing up a dark metallic blue and used vinyl stars and lettering just before putting on the clearcoat. Changed out the prop from Zinger 22x10 to an Xoar 22x8, closest i could find unless i special order. Seems to fly just fine, plenty of power and vertical perfomance. Love using the smoke system for the first time since flying target drones out in Barstow/Ft Irwin. Should be able to keep this one around for a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up selling mine like a dumby.....wish I still had it. I heard that the guy who designed the Stinger for Bubba in the first place is redoing the kit-saw a pic of it on here somewhere. It did not have the canopy cover or turtle deck tho so it looked a bit different. The Giant Stinger was the FIRST giant plane I ever saw and flew back in the day-boy was it impressive back then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast