Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Benefits of giant scale?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Benefits of giant scale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Benefits of giant scale?

So I built my first large scale model around 6 years ago. A Balsa USA Fokker DR1. Before that most of my modeling was kept quite small and I had many friends that swore they would never fly large models. I still have people tell me that when I am pondering a new project they ask "why so big?" I have 4 large scale models now, one being a 1/4 scale sport Mig 3 scratch built from plans.
The benefits I am finding are vast. I am not going to throw out the typical "they fly better" arguement, because I have many small airplanes that fly great. What I am seeing is they last longer. They are easier to build and build properly. I also like the way they present themselves for scale aircraft, and scale competition. And of course the gas engines are great.
Obviously there are downsides, like expensive servos and more of them. Storing and transport etc. But I have really been thinning my fleet of smaller models and all of my new projects are giant scale only. Currently a Super Lazy Ace biplane.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Benefits of giant scale?

I enjoy large models very much. Like most, I started small, and still enjoy my 48" sport plane. However, there is a great sense of accomplishment for me in seeing big model that I build in the air. Now, when I say "big", I truly don't think I"d enjoy some of the really LARGE 8'+ wingspan models, but I absolutely love my 6' Fokker Dr.1. It's large enough to get into IMAA meets and small enough for most club fields. It satisfies the "gas" urge, and still transports easily. It's scale in thr air and on the ground, and aerobatic enough to satisfy my "air carving" desires.

To me, large models ARE easier to build. Unless you go with the high end radios and the mucho bucko engines, the cost isn't that much more.

To me, it's interesting that you don't see many sport models in the "large" category, but many scale models. The reverse seems true for small models.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I have found the same things to be true for me.

As far as I am concerned it's all good but I like the big ones the best.[8D]
Old 04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
vertical grimmace

That is something I have noticed as well, not many sport aircraft in large scale. Although, I guess we could consider all of the IMAC types sport at this point. Everybody has one of those it seems. Basically because they are so easy to fly. There used to be a lot of roadrunners and such. I think maybe by the time pilots get to be comfortable with the smaller planes, when they decide to go big it is something they have always wanted to fly. Scale is generally it I guess. Which is great because it is nice to see them at the field.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Dr1Driver

It's much harder to fly a scale model in a scale-type manner than to simply "burn holes in the sky" with a sport model. Maybe that's it. Your comment on the IMAC types is well spoken. Those planes are easy to make do what they do because they're designed to do it. Now, before the IMAC types jump me, I'm NOT saying they're easy to fly in a scale-type manner well. I am saying if you just want it to look fairly good and not win meets or anything, that IS easy. A scale model sorta gives you a criteria to fly by, I guess. I remember a guy in our club who shoehorned a 1.20 into a GP Cub. It had a takeoff roll of 5' and vertical capability. Waste of a good Cub, IMO.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Meh...you lot are overthinking this...

The benefit of giant scale?

THEY'RE COOL!

Old 04-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like big cause I can get my hand in there to work on it. And I can see it better.
Edwin
Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 PM
vertical grimmace

I think DR1driver hit on something I had not thought of. To keep this stuff interesting we need change. Otherwise we would fly the same airplanes all of the time! Competition has done this for me as well as sport flying really gets boring after a while for me. When you finish a large scale model there is more of a sense of accomplishment. I think we all strive to outdo ourselves also, otherwise we would not constantly try new and different airplanes. Scale does seem to be the fastest growing aspect of the sport. Look at all of the warbird events. These planes are easier than ever to get and the trend is to over 80". Which is a great size.
I think maybe the old 50" is now the 80". this will be a dominant wingspan at most clubs shortly.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 AM
ross.felix

As I get older the bigger they are the less chance I have of loosing sight of the model
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 AM
willig10

I am new to giant scale and have 2 now that I have yet to fly. I have been out of the hobby for some time and jumped back in last October with both feet. I have 2 small aircraft that are 56" wingspan but I also have the Hangar 9 Taylorcraft and am building a Morrisey Bravo kit.

Since I got into this hobby I always wanted to go big, and it is happening.

Now for the benefits as far as I am concerned. Let me ask you guys a question. When you first got into RC flying how or what made you decide to get into it? Now with that in mind take yourself back to when you saw "those guys" with the big planes. Let's be honest and you know in the back of your mind you said I want to be "that guy"

So as the previous poster commented. It is most definately the cool factor.

I enjoy socializing at the field and even when I am there flying my small stuff to this day and the "guys" show up with their big planes, there is just something about them that stands out. They dont even have to fly, just the mere presence of the planes sitting on the grassis just coolnes.

My 2 cents worth.

I love this hobby and about 50% of the guys at the field are ok, the other half well you know. LOL

Glenn
Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Dr1Driver

I think maybe the old 50" is now the 80".
I'm old enough to remember the models of the 60s. I've also done some study on older models when radios were reed and batteries were huge. I remember the popular "brick" of the late 60s. Damn thing weighed about 2 pounds for the RX ,3 servos, and a battery - all in one package! Back then, a 80" plane was fairly normal. Many were simply FF designs converted to R/C. The wing had to be large and generate a lot of lift to get the heave radio components into the air. Engines weren't as powerful back then and the planes flew more "on the wing" than "on the prop". I believe we're coming full circle, just like car designs. They start small, then get big, then go small again, and vice-versa.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
vertical grimmace

The airplane that did it for me was the Balsa USA DR1. When that kit was released, I just had to have one. If it would have been smaller, I would have preffered it at the time. Now I am glad it was not. There were not many large aircraft at the field when I first started flying. In 1984 most of the stuff was either .40 or .60 sized. It may have been my field, but giant scale was quite novel then. I think the first big airplane I saw was a Der Jagger.
The giants seemed to become more prevelant with the advent of IMAC. They just seemed to continue to go bigger and bigger. Noew we are seeing it with scale. Our club used to have a "big bird" event and it was very popular. It has now been replaced with the "Warbirds over the Rockies" which is even more popular. Large aircraft are such the norm at our field now, we would have to change the theme from "big bird" if we try to bring it back. Big is not enough to draw people anymore they have become so commonplace.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:40 AM
beepee

Gaint Scale advantages:
1. Easier to build and build straight.
2. Easier to see, less likely to loose sight of it when distracted.
3. Takes a gas engine that runs on CHEAP fuel.
4. Does not require a quick hand (to fly scale-like).
5. Usually pretty broad flight envelope.
6. Easier to add scale features.

Disadvantages:
1. Influences the vehicle you buy (when I car shop, I take a tape messure ... that one will work ... no, that one won't... very limiting). Usually ends in poor gas mileage.
2. In some cases there is a bit more assembly time. I do have one that travels whole (EAA Bipe) in my Durango.
3. Can get VERY expensive if you don't exercise restraint.
3. When they go down, hard, they usually break a lot more bits.

Just a few thoughts, but I enjoy giant scale most all.

Bedford
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: beepee
Disadvantages:
1. Influences the vehicle you buy
Man, ain't that the truth. Passed up a FANTASTIC deal on a DREAM car just last week.

Why?

Because it won't pull my trailer!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
roaddog2

I've found that buildin' big is simply easier. Bigger hands require bigger parts t' work w/. Th' littler stuff tends t' get a bit frustratin'. 'Don't know much (yet) 'bout th' "bigger flies better" thing. I'm just now gettin' back into my Sim. :O)
RD
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 AM
rogue-RCU

I'm with ya on he vehicle too. I always said that I wouldn't get into giant scale after flying .60 size models but I did. My first large model was a sig fourstar 120. And its been full steam ahead after that.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Edwin

I changed my airplane carrier from a F350, diesel, dually,4x4, with 4:10 rear axle to a honda civic towing a harbor freight home made trailer. I can easily haul my giants now and still get 27mpg. Trailer fully loaded ready to go flying is less than 500lbs.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28570.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1411598  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
gboulton

Nice piece of work, Edwin!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess you haul a J3 in that really good looking trailer at least part of the time. Do you have any build details on the trailer to share? I am fast approaching needing one. TIA
Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Edwin

I did a build thread here on RCU. Search for "harbor freight trailer frame" and you should find it pretty easy. Was about 4 years ago.

Figured I'd best look myself since it was awhile back. Heres the build thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41..._1/key_/tm.htm

Edwin
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 AM
beepee

I have thought about a trailer too. A good way to avoid the big hauler penalty driving to work every day. The problems faced with a trailer though (what do you do with it during the week, securing and avoiding damage to the birds, and maneuvering) must be considered.

That is a very good looking trailer though. I will surely spend some time looking over the thread. Thanks for sharing.

Bedford
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Edwin

I live rural, built a carport to store it under. Its light enough that I just man handle moving it around, very easy. The stiff suspension doesnt seem to hurt the planes any. Its no more than the suspensionn on my truck which is a lot stiffer.
Edwin
Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 AM
beepee

I can understand. The difference between a BIG dualy 4x4 and a trailer is small. One of my points regarding maneuvering was with regard to getting in and out of the field. Some locations are tight for cars, much less those with a trailer connected. I am a trailered boater from a past life and at least learned how to back up one of those bad boys. As you say, having a place for it at home, sure makes it an easier choice.

Bedford