Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Aurora 9 lock up and crash

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Aurora 9 lock up and crash

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora 9 lock up and crash

ORIGINAL: hairy46

And my first wife, That one was my fault we devorced, I could not stand her boyfriend!

Now that is funny!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Freezer

Oh, come on some people really believe that futaba is non failing radio ? Not so long ago seen myself how guy which I know well lost his gasser model on landing using 14MZ. It just turned asside and dived in to the ground, a bit strange behaviour for 3D model at avaerage speed.
To stay in this hobby sometimes you must have some masochism tendencies .
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said that? We are stating that the Aurora has problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Garret H
My Feedback: (15)

Get an Airtronics SD-10G and be done with it! More features plus an extra channel for less money than the Aurora. You'll never go back!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
john josey

I was thinking of getting one of these Airtronics sd - 10g`s for myself. The handbrake cable on my car aint too good at the moment and i could do with something to 'jamb' under the back wheel when parked on a slope !
Old 05-31-2010, 05:40 PM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

I have been flying for over 30 years, I started with Kraft and now fly JR. I can count on one hand the number of times I have lost a plane or helicopter to a radio link issue that was not directly "My Fault". First of all when you buy a new engine you break it in right. well anytime you have a new radio system you should test it in a Test airframe. A plane you do not care about with a cheap motor and basic servos, I use an old Avistar with a SuperTigre 40. Also always cycle the batteries to test the capacity before using them in flight. These have been standard practices for years and now with RTFs and ARFs everyone is looking for instant satisfaction. With today's complicated systems it is even more important to test. One of my favorite engineers once said "The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!"
You have nobody but your self to blame if you installed an untested radio in a prized expensive airframe.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
hairy46

Mundo, I have a new radio not yet tried, I am going to take your advice and use it in a trainer for a couple of weeks! I really do think that is great advice!! And now a question, What charger are you useing to cycle your batterys? Thanks in advance, Bob
Old 06-20-2010, 11:33 PM
1UGLYPUG

You like to speak so highly of your Futabas,,, well, I have two Futaba 6EX transmitters, and about 10 receivers. If I had not had the two transmitters, I would have never known and found the problem I had. I lost 3 planes,,, sent in the transmitter to be checked out and "fixed",,, tried the "fixed" transmitter, and lost another plane,,, one of the first 3 I had repaired. I told Futaba it had an intermittent problem the first time,,, and sent it back again and told them we could keep wasting postage and my planes,, or send me a new transmitter,,, which they finally did. One of my planes was a hanger 9 mustang that locked up and sailed a few hundred yards in level flight while I banged on the transmitter, moved all controls, and it just kept sailing along at half throttle until the wind finally rolled it over and crashed.
I found the problem by having a problem on a range check on another plane,,, bound the receiver to the other transmitter which worked fine,, rebound it to the bad transmitter, and the problem repeated !,,,,, Sent it in and told them and they finally gave me the new transmitter,,,, haven't lost another plane in over a year,,,,,
Now, they knew it was their radio,,, yet, they still would not replace even one of the three planes,,,,,,,,, I told them I had purchased a Spektrum,,,,, and that I needed more receivers for more planes I have,,, And how spektrum replaced two planes for a friend that had a problem with his DX-7,,, and if they would not make me whole on at least one of my losses,,, I would only buy Spektrums from now on,, and be sure to tell everyone I meet, that even though I like the frequency hopping technology of Futaba better than Spektrum,,, due to the lousy customer service of Futaba, I would recommend that they should not buy Futaba,,, and that Spektrum was the better choice.,, which BTW, I have not had the first problem with. I still use my Futabas, but will never buy another ,,, They no longer have the fifty dollar six channel receivers to go with the six channel transmitter I bought,,,, Why should I have to spend a hundred bucks for a 7 channel rx for a six channel tx??? Poor Futaba customer service,,, buy spektrum,,,,,
Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 AM
cap10b

All,
I agree with Garrett, get an SD-10G and dont look back. A local ARF dealer here has a Hitech A9 that he swears by and its been back to the factory because it blanked out the screen and quit working for no reason. Dont know why. My RDS8K has worked solid from Day one. My Stylus on 2.4 module has worked solid from day one. All my new ATX 2.4 receivers work great and if they give any problems the receiver battery is the problem again low voltage on the battery side. The only problem I have seen on the new Airtronics ractios is the LCD screen is very sensative to bright sunlight and the screen will wash out but the RF deck will still functions. I never leave the radio out in direct sunlight unless I place a towel over the LCD screen.
As far as replacing a plane, the only MFG that ever replaced a plane for me was SIG Mfg. and its only because I had my camera and could document the failure and had a witness also email the product support manager to the incident and they (Sig) agreed with me and shipped me a new ARF.

Sorry for your loss but RC flying is like Racing cars or motor cycles we do it at or own risk.

JDS
NDRCC
Webmaster

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33938.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1456268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20367.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1456269  
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Ditto on the Airtronics radios. I have the SD10G and have had zero problems. So many people buy Futaba and JR and I can't see why except for their ads and sponsorships. Airtronics is quietly in the background and their stuff works great. Failures are always possible, but I haven't heard any talk along those lines with Airtronics.

Several years ago I saw a buddy of mine who lost 2 planes in 2 weeks worth $7500 each flying JR. He sold the radio and bought another JR. I just don't get it.................
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To Rambler53,

I lost my Cermark Pitts S2B on Saturday due to a p*ss-poor/cold solder joint on the power lead from the EXACT same battery pack (GP Hydrimax 2000mAh). It was brand new and had around 3 flights on it. A friend of mine in Atlanta tells me that their club has lost 3 plans due to similar failures of the 2000mAh Hydrimax battery packs. I would definitely recommend that anyone who is currently using those packs remove them immediately and complete a detailed inspection of all the solder joints within the pack.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61455.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1512045  
Old 10-07-2010, 08:47 AM
fritzdecat

Any radio can have a problem

I lost an expensive 50cc bird to my Futaba radio

My solution..?

No more expensive birds 50cc or otherwise, cheap fun flying birds from now on

Radio, dumb thumbs , engine out, anything can happen and will
Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: MiragePilot

To Rambler53,

I lost my Cermark Pitts S2B on Saturday due to a p*ss-poor/cold solder joint on the power lead from the EXACT same battery pack (GP Hydrimax 2000mAh). It was brand new and had around 3 flights on it. A friend of mine in Atlanta tells me that their club has lost 3 plans due to similar failures of the 2000mAh Hydrimax battery packs. I would definitely recommend that anyone who is currently using those packs remove them immediately and complete a detailed inspection of all the solder joints within the pack.

Peter
I lost a Funtana not too long ago to a radio failure. I was thinking it was due to a low battery and a stalled rudder servo (brown out). It was powered with the same pack as above. As I had no idea which of the 3 identical packs (all purchased this season) laying on the bench it might be, I unwrapped all 3 - and found no problem. FWIW
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
BaRdIa_PersianRc

Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are too thin skinned to deal with a mechanical/electronic failure you are in the wrong hobby. Several years ago I was flying an electric foamie when the aileron channel went out on my Futaba TX. I put the plane into a snap roll all the way to the ground and only busted a prop and bent the motor shaft. I was glad I wasn't flying my 1/4 Cub at the time which was on the same radio. I pitched the radio and bought a new 6ch Futaba to repalce it. Several months ago I lost the 1/4 Cub due to a radio faliure with the replacement radio, still not sure what went wrong, could not replicate the failure. I didn't complain to Futaba I just threw the radio away, TX, RX ,batteries the whole nine yards. Trying to salvage a radio does not make much sense to risk a several hundred hour build and $$$. I am now flying with an Aurora and so far I am happy. If I lose a plane due to the Aurora failing I will not complain to HiTec I will just throw it away and buy a new radio.
We want things more complex yet bullet proof, the more complex you make something the more likely you are to have a failure. I am sure any and all manufacturers will tell you(if you really pushed) that they expect approx 2% failures. If you are in that 2% it hurts, odds are you will be in the 98%.
I don't care what brand you fly you can and may have failures. If you can get one of the manufacturers to give it in writing that they guarantee that you will never have a failure that would be something. Best case is they will replace the radio not the $15K you have tied up in a scale materpiece.
Just my .02 worth, not affiliated with any radio manufacturer or really biased to one at all.
Anthony
Old 01-30-2011, 09:33 PM
rcgliderguy1

The Aurora 9 receivers have failsafe capabilities. I've never used them, but I understand that in the event of signal loss from the transmitter that various channels can be set go to a preset condition.

OP, what were your failsafe settings ?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
stssa

Last summer I lost two planes because of a 9cap with spectrum 2.4 on it. first plane was my Phoenix p51 and second was Giles 202. First I thought it was pilot error so I built a Giles 202. Everything was fine with maiden however second flight I watched my $500 go down in front of me on full throttle. Just put it on eBay for parts and bought a aurora 9. Im building a pilot rc decathlon 40% and I will use my aurora 9 with telemetry. Should I complain to futaba or spectrum? I lost about $1000 combined in two planes. Futaba 9cap and spectrum dm8 is not even included. Sorry for misspelling I'm using a iPhone and it's hard to type.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM
jnp

Not sure if this is an isolated problem but lost an Osmose F3 plane today due to Lock out on my aurora 9 . I have been very happy with the radio - logging approx 300 flights to date . Also flew the plane yesterday and decided last night to upgrade all software to latest upgrades ( tx module and receivers). The only thing I think it can be is a software issue as a result of the upgrades . The plane went into a fail safe mode ( fortunately motor was set to cut which saved my brand new Plettenberg EVO 30-10 Advance) and crashed on a landing approach - this after going into a fail safe mode twice during the flight.

Needless to say have taken the radio to agents and are awaiting their response ....???????
Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM
hanko

I think it should be fuk up and crash. Thats what it is most of the time
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Airtronics RDS8000 !!!!! No worries!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 AM
cap10b

You got that right Airtronics technology is rock solid!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Airtronics RDS8000 !!!!! No worries!!! That is not exactly correct, I had an RDS8000 and had a wire break that went to one to the control sticks, not to knock Airtronics they are a good radio but no system is perfect.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 AM
cap10b

he is talking Lock out not WIRE OUT.

ATX is still the best. Ask all those 12x turbine guys with lock out crashes on their 12K jets.

jds
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not getting into an radio war, but I switched to Airtronics back in the 80's and have had only one instance needing factory service. I have never lost an airplane due to radio failure. I now have the SD-10G and am very pleased. I can even program it by myself, which is saying alot! Some owners manuals on competing radios seem very intimidating. Everyone should use what they prefer, but you don't hear very many horror stories about Airtronics.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

WOW....Maybe there is something wrong with me. I lost a 2.6m Comp-Arf Yak last year to a radio failure. It never even crossed my mind to contact the radio manufacturer for compensation. It really sucked though...I only had maybe 25 flights on the plane. I have been flying for almost 30 years and that is THE FIRST plane that I definitely can say crashed due to radio failure. I am still flying 72 and plan to as long as legal. I LOVE my old 10x's and they will have to pry them from my cold, stiff fingers...lol. I do have a 2.4 module though for the smaller bind n fly stuff.

Steve