RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   DLA 112 gas engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/10420827-dla-112-gas-engine.html)

steelerscotty 03-24-2011 05:34 PM

DLA 112 gas engine

Has anyone out there heard of these DLA 112 gas engines? and does anyone own one? they look pretty cool with the anodized heads on them and they are a whooping 20 bucks cheaper than a DLE 111 and those I know run well several members in my club fly them. I'm looking at going bigger yet again and have been looking around for motors. thanks r/c world!

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 03-26-2011 11:51 PM

RE: DLA 112 gas engine

We import and sell these engines both retail and wholesale.They are beautifully finished both inside and out.What part of the country are you located in? At this time I have been looking for a IMAAC flyer in our local area to fly under our banner.</p>

steelerscotty 03-27-2011 07:42 AM

hi thanks for the reply! I should have youtoobed or googled the DLA engines first but they look and sound and seem to run very well from what Ive seen. I live in the midwest Omaha Ne to be exact and we have a great club of 150 members strong. I fly 30cc size planes now but am going to jump up to 100cc size here real soon and the DLA 112 looks like it will probably be my next engine bought. happy flying to you!

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 03-27-2011 08:31 AM

You will love the engine

cropduster48 03-27-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I have a DLA 112. So far I love it. Reset the timing and installed NGK sparkplugs befor I ever fired it up the first time. You can see it fly my 55LBS AirTractor 401B at my website on You-Tube. Go to video, type in cropduster48, and go down the list tell you see AirTractor 401 B. The wingspan on this scratch built model is 132". Length is 93". I am using a 27X10 wood prop. It would turn this prop 6055 RPM on the ground. It unloads quite a bit in the air. Make no mistake, it is not as powerful as a 3-W 106, but for the cost diference, it works fine for me. Got mine from Hobby King last fall. They are on backorder now, and they are $50.00 higher than when I bought mine. You won`t go wroung with a DLA, or a DLE engine. Although not made by the same company, the cylinders and pistons will interchange with each other. The cylinder porting in the DLE are slightly better designed than the DLA. How much diference that makes in the real world, probely not much.
Cropduster48

cropduster48 03-27-2011 12:21 PM

Very happy with my DLA 112.

steelerscotty 03-27-2011 02:11 PM

Thanks for your reply! and that is one fine looking plane you built there! great job, I have seen them at ibcinurc.com for 655 I believe and that's shipped. Hope your weather is better than ours right now it stinks!

cropduster48 03-28-2011 02:22 PM

Hi. not trying to infringe on any ones toes here. I do offer first hand experience from time to time. I`me 63 years old, and have been tuning engines all my life. Especialy two cycle engines. I retired last year, and now just help out fellow RC gas engine guys. I`me just interested in sharing information with some one like yourself, that has some serious devotion to the sport, and about these engines. The engines that use the RCEXL ignition, for the most part are top notch, price wise. Quite amazing realy, compaired with the over priced Youro engines. I have decovered the most interesting malfunctions with the 3-W engines from time to time. They say they are all test run at the factory, but on at least two I have worked on, could not have been run at the factory. The carburator pulse hole was in the wroung place on the reed block. Two more had faulty ignitions from the factory. ZDZ included. Have never, to date, had a bad RCEXL Ignition. What I have found on the China engines, is the timing set incorectly. Just curious here, what have you found.
Mr Cropduster48

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 03-29-2011 03:56 AM

This is just an information note for all. The DLA engines ignition systen utilizes a 7.2 volt battery

Super08 03-29-2011 04:45 PM

Only the new ones though, the original ones came with standard Rcexl ignitions and 7.2 volts will cook them.

cropduster48 04-17-2011 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3 W cylinder compaired to a Turnigy cylinder.

russian 07-28-2011 11:40 AM

OK! Looks like I'm going to buy one!!! The only question who provide service for DLA-112 here in the US? Any more comments on performance etc.? Thanks

cropduster48 07-28-2011 12:52 PM

Ibeseeingyou.com or hobbies provides services for these engines. Very nice people. I have had my DLA 112 completely torn down twice now. Had to put a new crankshaft in. The crankshaft problem was no fault of the engine design. The plane had a propeller fail while on the ground. Should have seen the people scatter. No one got hurt. Any way, it has three bearings on the crankshaft, all Jap. Two of the bearings are the same size as 3-W 157, which also has Jap bearings. On the prop drive end, it is bigger than a DLE 111. I have a DLE111 prop driver, it won`t fit, too small. As far as power, despite what they say, the DLA and DLE are the same. Neather will stand up to a 3-W of the same size. I don`t realy have any beaf at all with mine. Very smooth engine. Starts easly. In the air, has been flawless.
This is a must. Check the timing. It should be 28 deg advanced. I havent checked one of these engines so far that has been anywhere close out of the box. Same with a DLE 111. They don`t set the timing at the factory. Neither of these engines are pre run befor boxing.
For the money, these engines are a bargen.
Cropduster48

russian 07-28-2011 01:40 PM

Thanks for info. Can you describe in details of how to set correct timing on DLA-112? Always used DA-150 before get out of hobby that's why never had a problem with timing, sure it's not complicated isn't it? How about compare this one with DLE-111?

cropduster48 07-29-2011 05:19 PM

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html
You will need this degree wheel to set the timing. Its free to down load. Remove spark plugs from engine, reatach spark plugs to plug wires and let them dangle. Remove prop, stick degree wheel to prop driver. Using a probe through the sparkplug hole on one cylinder, find TDC. Take your time, you can miss TDC by as much as 3 deg eather way here. Use a pointer of some kind and 0 out your degree wheel. back up the engine to about 60 deg. With the ignition turned on, slowely turn the engine forward untell the sparkplugs fire. Note the degrees. Slide the pickup to adjust. The RCEXL ignition has a very smart brain. When turned very slowely forward, it will fire at full advance, yet when you flip the prop to start, it goes to full retard. After it starts, it goes back to full advance. Take my word, you don`t want to try to start one of these engines at full advance. Any way, thats how you do it. The proper timing is 28 deg advance.
Cropduster48

cropduster48 07-29-2011 05:46 PM

Both the DLE 111 and DLA 112 use the same cylinders, and pistons. Both engines have the same stroke. The DLE has a slant sparkplug. If you look at a DLA cylinder, you will see the sparkplug blank boss that has not been used to mount the sparkplug at a slant. The pistons in my DLA say DLE on the under side of the skirt. As far as comparing performance one against the other, there is no diference. There are diferences between the two engines, but not in performance. The cylinder design of the 3-W, or ZDZ engines are light years ahead of the China motors. If you want race car performance, and money is no object, buy one of these engines.
Cropduster48

Super08 07-29-2011 06:56 PM

Actually the cylinders are not the same. The DLA cylinder is the same as the old DLE cylinder with the exception of changing the plug location. The DLE uses a different cylinder and has for over a year now. It has improved porting and uses a different casting process to give a much higher quality cylinder. The cylinders are however interchangeable between engines.

russian 07-30-2011 04:42 AM

Thanks it was helpfull about timing. One more thing-does carburator needs to be adjusted or it's preset at the factory? What is correct settings?

cropduster48 07-30-2011 08:54 AM

It will probely be set close enough to start and run. If you want to check the needles first, start at 1.5 turns out on low speed, and two turns out on highspeed. That should be way rich, but at least it will run. Every one has there own idea on how to brake a engine in. I just made sure mine was a little on the rich side, and went flying. 4 oz of oil to one gal of gas is 32 to 1. Use any brand of chainsaw, or weedeater two stroke oil you want. If you have a piston seizure, it won`t be becaus of the oil you chose. It will be becaus you got the carburator needles set to lean, or you wern`t getting enough air flow around the cylinders. I make my own ductwork to force all the air going in the cowling, go over the cylinders. This can take some serious time to work out. Most people simply stick the cowling on, and let it go. Surprisingly, most of the time this works. With a little head scratching, you can improve on this.
I recomend removing the China sparkplugs, and installing NGK CM6 plugs. Keep the China plugs for spare. I have been running the same NGK plug in my DA 50 for 5 years now.
Check and set the spark gap at .018. Do not run over 6 volts to the ignition. It will run fine at 5.2 volts. I use a 2600 ma LiPo two cell battery running through a regulator to cut it back to 5.5 volt. It will run all day long.
For the price, these engines are built pretty well. Just use good old common sense, and they should last a life time.
Cropduster48

cropduster48 07-30-2011 09:12 AM

Thanks for that information. I did know that, I just didn`t want to get that deep. I have a brand new DLE 170 that has very well designed cylinders. Just had to pull one cylinder off and take a look. Cylinder walls have a very nice finish on them also. Power seems to be about the same as a DA of same size. I set the timing at 25 deg on mine. Makes for a very smooth running engine.
Cropduster48

Super08 07-30-2011 06:53 PM

I am tempted to get one too. I have yet to see anyone that didn't like theirs.

schai 10-11-2011 01:50 PM

i have both DLA56 in an rcguys decathalon and a DLA112 in a ESM Jodel Robin. the 56 is a workhorse. easier to start if you plug up the hole on the choke. the bearings on breakingin failed so i needed service and sent to delta rc engines in Mississippi where i got the engine:

http://www.deltarcengines.com/catalog/

Bobby's day job is repairing farm equiment. he answers the phone himself or his wife or he gets back to you pretty prompt.
his service was prompt as well.
the engine hasnt missed a beat with over 10gallons thru it this past season prety much every wkend of flying including some aerotowing 4meter scale ships.
the 112 is getting broken in now, it's been doing well so far, no problems whatsoever on startup - knock on wood.

cropduster48 10-11-2011 02:10 PM

My DLA 112 has given good service so far. I have no complaints. Very smooth running engine.

Johnnysplits 10-12-2011 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: schai

the engine hasnt missed a beat with over 10gallons thru it

Now that's the answer I was looking for!!