RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   AMR High Wing Stick 30 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11072775-amr-high-wing-stick-30-a.html)

WacoNut 06-17-2012 04:03 PM

RE: AMR High Wing Stick 30

David you need to get the Cub finished 1st;)

Cub Flyer Fresno 06-17-2012 04:04 PM

I don't know if I can wait that long!!!  :eek:

VincentJ 06-18-2012 01:57 AM

Stellarjob, those crosses really do finish it off.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gifI bet it will fly great. What did the total weight come out at? Maybe you will be able to video your maiden...hint, hint.

WacoNut 06-18-2012 01:14 PM

Thanks VJ,
I have not weighed the plane since I started covering. I will get a flying weight as soon as I get all the hardware installed. I am going to start installing the servo's tonight. No more pics until it is flight ready.
Later!!
Anthony

hrrcflyer 06-18-2012 03:52 PM

Anthony,

I certainly hope your bad luck does not happen in groups of three, like it seems to always do for me.......[:@] Good luck with your maiden. I'm looking forward to reading about it.

David

WacoNut 06-18-2012 04:23 PM

Thanks David,
Maybe I will borrow a buddies plane and crash it and get it out of the way:D
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 06-18-2012 06:04 PM

I have all the servo's for the control surfaces installed and servo leads. The Robart hinges have been epoxied into the stationary side. I will let these cure until tomorrow then glue the control surfaces on. Once this has cured I can build all the linkages. It looks like I will be able to install the fuel tank at the CG. I will have to wait until the linkages are installed and start moving the batteries around for balance and see where everything winds up.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 06-20-2012 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Stick 30 is ready for the maiden:D,

The all up weight is 15lbs. This is a bit more than I anticipated but should still fly great at this weight. I have a 4200mah 6v pack on the receiver and a 3200mah 4.8v pack on the ignition. These are located right against the firewall and I still had to add 10oz of weight along with them for balance. I am sure my choice of covering and finish has alot to do with it.

The spinner looks good on the nose as well. I have all the control surfaces set and flaperon's programmed in the radio. Not sure If I will try using them on the maiden. If the weather is good I will put the maiden flight on Saturday. I will see if I can get someone to shoot video at the field.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 06-20-2012 04:53 PM

Very well done Anthony.

WacoNut 06-20-2012 05:09 PM

Thanks Robert,
For a very quick build it came out really nice. 1 month to complete minus the week I was gone to Germany. I may even use some auto wax on the plane before I gas it up and get it dirty, may help to keep it clean.
Later!!
Anthony

SunDevilPilot 06-20-2012 05:56 PM

Really nice....  I like the rudder pull-pull cables on the outside of the fuselage, makes it interesting.<div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>

WacoNut 06-20-2012 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

Really nice.... I like the rudder pull-pull cables on the outside of the fuselage, makes it interesting.<div>
</div><div>SunDevilPilot</div>
I can't take credit for that , I saw another AMR Stick with the same MOD and I liked it. I like using Pull/Pull on the rudder whenever possible and this is definetly user friendly. If I can just remember not to grab the cables when I pick up the plane.
Anthony

VincentJ 06-21-2012 01:58 AM

<span style="font-size: larger">Nice Work! you're going to have a blast flying it! What do you use to balance your planes?</span>

superfli 06-21-2012 05:25 AM

Anthony,

I have been following this build with great interest as I plan to build AMR's Sport 26. I would like to use the same covering techniques that you used on this build. I see you metioned that you used Polycrylic to fill the weave. I was on the web site trying to learn more about this product but I did not see a product called Polycrylic. Do they call it something else? Do you thin this down with the reducer that they sell? If you do what is the ratio? Thanks for your help on this and your plane turned out excellent! Happy Flying!

Superfli.

WacoNut 06-21-2012 01:34 PM

VJ,
For planes 15lbs and less I just use the old fingertips. For larger planes I use a Vannesa CG rig. I had a link to it at one time but lost it. You can do a google search.

Superfli,
I use Minwax Polycrylic, it is sold at all home improvement stores in the wood stain area. I thin the PolyC with water around 15-20% and brush it on with a foam brush. You want to apply thin coats and sand lightly with 400 paper after the 2nd coat and each coat after. I recommend at least 3 coats. You can still see the weave of the fabric in the finish with 3 coats. 5 caots and the finish will be smooth.

On another note: I had paint pull up after spraying the trim color. this is the 1st time this has happened to me. Not only did the paint pull up but the Polycrylic pulled up off of the fabric as well. One thing I did differently on this plane was I gave the etire plane a coat of nitrate dope before applying the PolyC and I didn't allow the plane to dry for a couple of days before primering which I normally do. The plane was painted with Krylon spray cans in gloss finish for all the colors.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 06-22-2012 04:50 PM

The Stick is ready for the maiden tomorrow, the weather forecast is good. Mid 80's with winds less than 5mph.

I ran the engine and ran the plane around the yard. Steering is good and it tracks nice and straight. The batteries are being topped off now. I have a couple guys meeting me at the field for the maiden. I will post some pics late tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 06-22-2012 05:24 PM

Good Luck!

Charlie P. 06-22-2012 06:26 PM

Hals- und Beinbruch

acerc 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

Patiently waiting.

WacoNut 06-23-2012 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am back from the field, the Stick 30 Fly's Great!!!
The maiden was a bit of a handful as I thought the elevator's looked awful small I put alot of extra travel in them and it was very sensitive in the 1st flight. The plane required very little trim adjustment for level flight. Stall's were pretty much non-existant. It just mushes forward with no tendency to drop a wing tip. The roll rate was great and the DLE-30 would pull it thru some big loops. Landings were nice and smooth. I need to adust the tail wheel as it is not tracking true and required me to use ecessive rudder when the tail was down.

The 2nd and 3rd flight's were much better after adjusting the throws to tame the plane down a little. I plan on taking the plane back to the field tomorrow after I give it a good going over to make sure nothing is coming loose. I have to say this plane is definetly a keeper and will be flown alot. I let one of the guys at the club fly the plane and he really liked it.

I took a few glamor shots to send to AMR at the field as well as over 100 flight pics. I will post some of them here.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 06-23-2012 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some flying pics.

WacoNut 06-23-2012 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few from one of the landings.
Later!!
Anthony

SunDevilPilot 06-23-2012 01:19 PM

Congratulations, looks really great in the air. I'm sure AMR will sell a few of these kits thanks to you, I'm probably one!

SunDevilPilot

WacoNut 06-23-2012 01:22 PM

Thanks SDP,
I am extremely happy with the Stick and really happy I had a good outcome especially due to my poor luck lately. I was feeling really down on myself losing 2 nice planes in 2 months. Tomorrow I will work on dialing in the settings on all the control surfaces to get it flying exactly the way I want. This plane is going to be fun.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 06-23-2012 04:26 PM

Outstanding.
Nothing feel's better thanwhen it all goes well.
Congrat's Anthony