RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Quarter Scale Cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11211973-quarter-scale-cub.html)

tlnibert 08-30-2012 02:59 PM

Quarter Scale Cub

I have purchased a Cub from a friend, it is quarter scale. It has a pair of flat metal spares for the wing. I need a cowl, does anyone know who makes this Plane.
Tom

spaceworm 08-30-2012 03:33 PM

RE: Quarter Scale Cub

Sounds like an older Hanger 9. Is it fabric or film covered? Newer ones have a round tube spar, and are film covered. The very latest have a round spar and are again fabric covered. Confused yet?

s3nfo 08-31-2012 06:02 AM

1/4 scale Cub is a 1/4 scale Cub, so any 1/4 scale cowl will do fine. Just get the nice, fiberglass one from BUSA.

spaceworm 08-31-2012 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

1/4 scale Cub is a 1/4 scale Cub, so any 1/4 scale cowl will do fine. Just get the nice, fiberglass one from BUSA.

However, some will fit better than others if for the particular manufacturer. Also is it a J3 or a Supercub, obvious different cowls for each. Fiberglass Specialties should also be able to provide you with a nice fiberglass cowl specific to the manufacturer/ Cub version.

Richard/Club Saito #635/Sig 1/4 J3

Truckracer 08-31-2012 08:46 AM

Not quite so ..... different kit or plans designers have very different takes on what actually makes a 1/4 scale CUB. For example some have very different fuselage widths than others, etc. Yes, they should be the same but they are not.

The SIG and Balsa USA CUBs are quite a bit different and the cowl from one doesn't even come close to fitting the other.

CK1 08-31-2012 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Not quite so ..... different kit or plans designers have very different takes on what actually makes a 1/4 scale CUB. For example some have very different fuselage widths than others, etc. Yes, they should be the same but they are not.

The SIG and Balsa USA CUBs are quite a bit different and the cowl from one doesn't even come close to fitting the other.
+1

dadragon 09-27-2012 05:04 PM

truckracer is rite.I found out the hard way and just orderd a 1/4 cowl ( wrong )take in mind of what cub it is.fiberglass specialties has what you want.

rt3232 04-02-2013 11:36 AM

Ok all of you Cub expert's

I have a 1/4 BSUA kit, Will be needing a gasser for it ie: size ?, and would like to make it a clipped wing, also thinking about moding the nose to the PA-18 nose's to have a bit more room for an engine and muffler. I have the articulate gear, I will not be duing a lot of other scale featur's just looking for a good flyer.

This is being planned for a next winter project

So all good suggestions will be appericated

Cheers Bob T
Ama13377

sticktickler 04-02-2013 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When you're ready for graphics I design and cut high quality graphics for any Cub or Super Cub. I have many color options and even the basic lightning bolt design with both the front Piper and tail bear cub logos. Wing numbers can be custom cut with a number of your choice. Send a PM for more details.

spaceworm 04-02-2013 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Ok all of you Cub expert's

I have a 1/4 BSUA kit, Will be needing a gasser for it ie: size ?, and would like to make it a clipped wing, also thinking about moding the nose to the PA-18 nose's to have a bit more room for an engine and muffler. I have the articulate gear, I will not be duing a lot of other scale featur's just looking for a good flyer.

This is being planned for a next winter project

So all good suggestions will be appericated

Cheers Bob T
Ama13377

Re the clipped wing cub, note that in the FS, the clipping was done at the root so that the ailerons were kept full size. So, you can't just lop off a bay or two from the tips if you want "scale" wings. For the Sig 1/4 Cub, there were two wings kits, one in two pieces for the full span wing, and another one for a one piece clipped wing.

There is a thread here on RCU for converting a J3 to a SuperCub.

rt3232 04-03-2013 07:22 AM

spaceworm

Ihave done several search on rcu and have not come up with a thread that covers 1/4 J3 Cub mod to super cub or PA-18

Can you give me the link and thanks

Cheers Bob T

Truckracer 04-03-2013 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: rt3232

spaceworm

Ihave done several search on rcu and have not come up with a thread that covers 1/4 J3 Cub mod to super cub or PA-18

Can you give me the link and thanks

Cheers Bob T

How about this one?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88..._1/key_/tm.htm

I don't want to be rude but I entered two words "Super Cub" in the search and found it in less than 30 seconds. Practice helps on the search. Regardless, there it is. Enjoy, it is an excellent thread by a real craftsman with a twist towards the end.

There are several other good CUB threads in the Kit Building forum.

rt3232 04-03-2013 12:35 PM

Truckracer

Thank for the link. it just did not come to mind to just look for super cub.

Cheers Bob T

hanko 04-05-2013 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: tlnibert

I have purchased a Cub from a friend, it is quarter scale. It has a pair of flat metal spares for the wing. I need a cowl, does anyone know who makes this Plane.
Tom
I would try to get the right wings, the flat metal one wont work to good. what happened to the original wings?

hanko 04-05-2013 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

However, some will fit better than others if for the particular manufacturer. Also is it a J3 or a Supercub, obvious different cowls for each. Fiberglass Specialties should also be able to provide you with a nice fiberglass cowl specific to the manufacturer/ Cub version.

Richard/Club Saito #635/Sig 1/4 J3
wrong again. compare a balsa usa 1/4 scale cub cowl, and a sig 1/4 scale cub, big difference.

spaceworm 04-05-2013 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: hanko

ORIGINAL: tlnibert

Tom
I would try to get the right wings, the flat metal one wont work to good. what happened to the original wings?

Again: "...Newer ones have a round tube spar, and are film covered. The very latest have a round spar and are again fabric covered. Confused yet? "

bikerbc 04-05-2013 04:35 PM

You could pick up a pretty nice PA18 cowl from hanger 9 from their ARF parts.. Their is a big difference between the J3 Cowl and the Super Cub (PA18) BUSA also sells a great J3 cowl with or with out the fake cylinder heads...I am not sure if they have a super cub cowl though...The Hanger 9 one is fiberglass and its painted blue and white...It is quite cheap too...Super Cubs are a lot wider , close to an inch but the BUSA kit is a wider kit to start with so it should be easy to convert...Robart makes Two 1/4 scale gear , one for the Sig Cub and one for the BUSA Cub .. The BUSA one is wider....The Robart Gear is great but you could also buy Hanger 9 's gear for about 1/2 the price and it would work fine...I realize you have your gear but somebody else might be able to use this info...

hanko 04-06-2013 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

You could pick up a pretty nice PA18 cowl from hanger 9 from their ARF parts.. Their is a big difference between the J3 Cowl and the Super Cub (PA18) BUSA also sells a great J3 cowl with or with out the fake cylinder heads...I am not sure if they have a super cub cowl though...The Hanger 9 one is fiberglass and its painted blue and white...It is quite cheap too...Super Cubs are a lot wider , close to an inch but the BUSA kit is a wider kit to start with so it should be easy to convert...Robart makes Two 1/4 scale gear , one for the Sig Cub and one for the BUSA Cub .. The BUSA one is wider....The Robart Gear is great but you could also buy Hanger 9 's gear for about 1/2 the price and it would work fine...I realize you have your gear but somebody else might be able to use this info...
Pa18 firewall and the J3 are a world apart, so the cowls wont interchange

bikerbc 04-07-2013 02:00 AM

If you are going to modify the kit and make it into a PA18 then why would you not make it wider to fit the cowl ? The balsa cowl is 6.5 " wide and the Hanger 9 cowl is about an 1.5" wider .. That allows for about 1/2 inch on each side of the cowl because the cowl is sort of round and not flat like the J3 .. The BUSA J3 kit is 7 1/4 " wide , the sig J3 kit is 6 1/2 " wide and the Hanger 9 PA 18 is 6 1/2 " wide .. This is measured at the part of the fuse where the taper to the fire wall starts .. Where the landing gear attaches...To modify the kit to a PA18 all you should need to do would be to put a wider fire wall on...You are wrong about the cowl not fitting if you were to do a minor mod , at least I know that I could do it and I am by no means a highly talented builder...I could take a pic of the cowl to show how it fits the fuse with the 1/2" space on the sides to allow for it being round and not flat...I almost think it might fit with no mods to the fuse because the BUSA kit is already wider but I would want to have both the cowl and the fuse together for a fitting before I could say for sure...Anyway there is a cowl available for the J3 from Hanger 9 as well but I am not sure of the measurements on it and I would be surprized if it was wide enough to fit... It might be...You could ask for the measurements...By the way the Fuse Width on the J3 and the Super Cub (PA18) is the same , is only the front firewall part that is a little bit different .. Well they are supposto be the same but the kits are a bit different from each other for some reason..Hanko if you look back this was in reply to rt3232 who asked for some advice .. He has a BUSA kit and is willing to mod his nose to help with motor , muffler placement etc. and was looking for possible cowl sources . If he mods his nose the Hanger cowl will fit...

bikerbc 04-07-2013 03:24 AM

I just went out and measured the Hanger 9 cowl to see if it would fit on the BUSA fuse and its a no go .. The fuse is close to being okay for width but it is about an inch to tall .. The hanger 9 cowl is 6.5" tall and the BUSA J3 is close to 7.5" so most of the fire wall mods would be to taper the nose down that way.. I have Two 1/3 Cubs One is a J3 and one is a PA18 nose and they are the same from the windshield back .. I didn't actually build them so I am not exactly sure where you would make the change but an inch is quite a bit. When you hold the cowl up it looks like you would need to reshape the top of the firewall and flatten the curve a bit and then on the bottom you would need to steepen the angle a bit...the fuse on the BUSA from the floor to the bottom of the window post is 7" on the Hanger 9 PA18 it is about 6.5" .. The Dash on the J3 is round on the top and the PA18 is flat so there is change to be made in that area. That will really help with the cowl fitting .. One reason I find this cowl so interesting is because it is only $21.49 and it is beautifully finished fiberglass...It would be hard to beat that deal...

rt3232 04-09-2013 12:40 PM

Hi Guy's

Just so you know I am just looking for info at this time. I will not be building this Cub untill the snow flies next fall, so will put the plans on a board and try to do the lines for the mod's.

So the first things I will be looking for is the fire wall out line and maybe the out line for the blkd at the dash, once I have that I can figure out what cowel to use, or make my own, so any help with a templet or just a copy of these 2 points will get me started

Thanks in advance

Cheers Bob T
AMA 13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6

bikerbc 04-09-2013 02:38 PM

What one do you want ? Are you going to build it as the J3 or the Super Cub ? There is a significant difference ..The PA18 is flat on top of the dash and forward to the firewall ..I could probably give you a drawing on graph paper with the dash and the fire wall but you would probably need to adjust it to suit your build .. You must have the J3 fire wall and dash if you have BUSA kit so if can give me an idea of what you have and what you want I will try my best to help..

rt3232 04-09-2013 05:23 PM

Bikerbc

At this point I am thinking a super Cub, as what little reserch I have accomplished it looks like it would be the easyest to do. and yes the kit I picked up is the J3 I have a book ordered at out libary that is supposed to have smal dwg's of both it take about a week to come from the maine libary in mpls.

So any help is a plus you can E-mail them as an attachment I think, I will PM you with my addy

Cheers Bob T

bikerbc 04-10-2013 01:54 PM

Okay I will do some measuring and send you a drawing to your E mail address. It will ,be a few days though because my planes are just going into a Mall show and won't be back home till Sunday April 14 .. I am currently building a BUSA 1/4 scale J3 myself .. I have been at it for about a year. I keep putting it on the back burner and working on other projects . I have the fuse and tail feathers pretty much completed and just need to build the wings .. I am going to power it with an OS 160 twin...The heads of the motor will stick out of the cowl on each side just like the real thing...

rt3232 04-10-2013 03:24 PM

bikerbc

Sounds good to me, I have built a coupla of the 1/4 sig kits dum thumbed the first one and lost an elevatoe servono the secound comming out of a big round loop, got the power back but still went in at about a 45 deg angle, distroyed my Saito 150 G/knite and thought I had given up on Cub's, but they are just to much fun, so going with this Busa thingy, one of out club members did one with a fixed center section and 2 piece wing So I will do the same but make it a clipped wing

Thanks again for your help

Cheers Bob T

PS post a pic or two of yout build please

bikerbc 04-11-2013 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I will try.. I am not the worlds best pic taker or poster but I will give it a shot... I placed my Gemini twin on the nose to give you an idea what the nose should look like with the cyl head poking out...I purchased my cowl with out the fake cyl. heads... Now if I can talk my wife into posting the pics. for me . She has much better luck than I do...I have the door and window complete too but it is buried in the box under a Spitfire fuse that is under construction . I have Two Spits on the go as well.... As soon as these spits are off my bench the wings for my Cub are going to be my next project...I have 2 1/4 Cubs flying now . A Sig with a OS 1.20 FS that I absolutely love and my Hanger 9 PA18 that I haven't flown yet... I think the BUSA with the Gemini is going to be a nice plane . The only thing I am a bit worried about is how the wings attach from inside the cockpit...I think I might make a big hatch in the top of the plane so that I can access the wing bolts from the outside of the plane ..The PA18 Has a hatch like that and it works great...

rt3232 04-11-2013 06:16 PM

bikerbc

Thanks for the responce but the pic's will not open all I get is a message "502 BAD GATEWAY" so maybe you could sent them as an attachment to an E-Mail will PM you with the info

Cheers Bob T

bikerbc 04-12-2013 01:46 AM

Okay Bob I am sorry ...I think this is a RCUniverse problem...I will try to forward them to your E Mail...

bikerbc 04-12-2013 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to post a pic again but am not having the best of luck..

rt3232 04-12-2013 10:49 PM

Hay bikerbu

The pic's look great nice work, but how do you get anything done with a relitive orgnized shop :D:D He He

Cheers Bob T

bikerbc 04-14-2013 06:58 PM

Okay our mall show is over . My pilot ( Buzz Lightyear ) attracted a lot of attention . It funny how something so simple can really be an attention grabber .I did not care for the pilot that was provided with the Hanger 9 Cub or the Taylor craft .. They are too tall .. I would almost need to lop the legs off I am glad to have my planes all home safe and sound...Now I need to fit a set of floats on a 1/4 Cub and get it ready for our float fly coming up May 26 thru June 2 ... I can hardly wait...Float flying is fun ...I have 3 planes ready but no Cubs...

bikerbc 04-14-2013 07:27 PM

Just a thought about clipping the wings .. If you are going to go Super Cub you will be clipping in the flap area...The Super Cub has flaps so you will be adding flaps to your wings ..I am not sure I would clip without researing the changes that need to be made to the rest of the wing like the strut attachment points and aileron length and flap length ......You might want to research that a bit...It might just mean making your ailerons a bit shorter...I am not sure .. Charles brooks would know (The Cub Man) You can find him in the kit building Forum under Cub brotherhood .. He is a wealth of cub info ..A great guy . Let me know how you make out...

rt3232 05-11-2013 03:51 PM

Hay bikerbc

Sorry to be so slow in responding. I have been doing a little research on the clipping what I have found is to take 1 rib out at the rute of the wing and on in between the flap and the ailerons, not to sure as yet will have to put the wing plans on a board and do some sketching and make some mod dwg's
but flying season has started hear so will only be looking at that on bad flying days. still collecting bits, servo's mostly hardware did get a cowl from F/g Specialtie's hope to have all the bits by the time the snow [>:] flies

Cheers Bob T