RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Engine suggestion for 1/4 Cub (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11220188-engine-suggestion-1-4-cub.html)

Neddy191 09-06-2012 06:10 PM

Engine suggestion for 1/4 Cub

I'm starting to build a Sig 1/4 scale cub. I'd like to make it my first gasser. I was looking at a DLE 30 for it but since the carb is rear and the standoffs are pretty long I'll have to do some modification to the firewall to make it fit correctly. Would the be too much engine for the cub? I'm planning on building a GP Stinson Reliant next which I think a DLE30 might be a good fit for so if there is a better choice for the cub I'm not opposed to changing.

Truckracer 09-06-2012 08:47 PM

RE: Engine suggestion for 1/4 Cub

I like the DLE30 with a wrap around Pitts muffler in a CUB and fly one regularly. Yes, you will probably have to move the firewall back some as the SIG 1/4 CUB is becoming a dated design and needs the firewall moved anyway! They sure fly well though!

You could also use a 20 or 22 size engine (DLE or otherwise) but I lean towards the 30 as I prefer the standoff mounting over the beam mounting on the smaller engines.

STUKA BARRY 09-07-2012 04:47 AM

I'd suggest a Zenoah G-23, it has a mag so no worries about another battery to charge. Its a Zenoah so its extremely reliable and will last forever. Its alittle heavier than the chinese engines so you should'nt have to add dead nose weight. It runs all day on a 14 oz. tank and will fly a 1/4 Cub at scale speeds. And yas, they hand start.

s3nfo 09-07-2012 10:24 AM

Contemplating the same thing right now for my BUSA 1/4 scale L-4. Last weekend I got to fly both a DLE 30 powered 1/4 scale Cub and a Zenoah 23 powered 1/4 scale Cub (Thanks Tom and Paul). The DLE 30 powered Cub flys way too fast and even at half throttle has so much air moving over the tail surfaces that it flits around and looks very un-scale, even unnatural. The Zenoah powered Cub flew very scale and was not lacking for power. I'm going with a DLE 20 in my L-4, but may break down and put a Bowman ring in it before I install it.

Truckracer 09-07-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

Contemplating the same thing right now for my BUSA 1/4 scale L-4. Last weekend I got to fly both a DLE 30 powered 1/4 scale Cub and a Zenoah 23 powered 1/4 scale Cub (Thanks Tom and Paul). The DLE 30 powered Cub flys way too fast and even at half throttle has so much air moving over the tail surfaces that it flits around and looks very un-scale, even unnatural. The Zenoah powered Cub flew very scale and was not lacking for power. I'm going with a DLE 20 in my L-4, but may break down and put a Bowman ring in it before I install it.

If you prop the 30 with something like a 19-6, you can fly very scale like ... the main thing is keeping the pitch low. Yes, there is plenty of power on reserve though! While I use a 19-8 on a 30 in a small YAK, I don't care for that prop at all on the CUB. I prefer the DLE 30 over the DLE 20 simply for the way the 30 runs and mounts compared to the 20. I am considering a Mintor 22 in a smaller Great Planes CUB though. Just no great fan of the DLE 20 here.

SunDevilPilot 09-08-2012 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it said "Engine" but how about a "Motor"?

<span style="font-family: Arial; ">Hacker A60-14L with 22X12 prop on 10S. Hacker A60-7S with a 20X10 prop on 10S. Both are perfect for a Cub and provide a 10 minute flight using 1/2 of the 5000 mAh battery.
</span><div style="font-family: Arial; ">
Having said that, my friend has a Hangar 9 1/4 Cub with a Zenoah G-26 (Electronic Ignition) and it is perfect. Runs great and has a good amount of power for the plane. I have flown the same plane with a DLE 20 and it was a little underpowered. The 20 did fly like a Cub but it felt as if it was on the edge.

The last two photos are of his G26 powered Cub.

My vote - Zenoah G26 with Electronic Ignition (Or Electric Motor!)
</div><span style="font-family: Arial; ">SunDevilPilot</span>

SunDevilPilot 09-08-2012 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I started building my Sig Cub I was going the direction of the Zenoah G-26. Mid-build I went electric as the power source for all my planes.

Here is what my Zenoah looked like bolted up to the firewall. But note, my firewall is wider than stock because the plane was modifiied into a Super Cub.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8857500/tm.htm

SunDevilPilot

Truckracer 09-08-2012 09:36 AM

SunDevilPilot,

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but I do have a couple of questions regarding your electric CUB. Where do you mount the batteries and how do you get them in and out between flights. Photo's would be appreciated if you have them. Also, what cowl did you use for your Super Cub conversions ... I know there are several available. How about all up weight?

Back to the gas version, I can't disagree with anyones recommendation for any of the Zenoah's. The 20, 23 or 26 would all be a good choice. As far as power goes, one of our local guys has the SIG CUB with a DLE20 and it has plenty of power .... flies with authority. I still like my 30 though!

SunDevilPilot 09-08-2012 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

SunDevilPilot,

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but I do have a couple of questions regarding your electric CUB. Where do you mount the batteries and how do you get them in and out between flights. Photo's would be appreciated if you have them. Also, what cowl did you use for your Super Cub conversions ... I know there are several available. How about all up weight?

Back to the gas version, I can't disagree with anyones recommendation for any of the Zenoah's. The 20, 23 or 26 would all be a good choice. As far as power goes, one of our local guys has the SIG CUB with a DLE20 and it has plenty of power .... flies with authority. I still like my 30 though!

I added the door to my Sig Cub so the batteries are accessed that way. With both of my Cubs the batteries, a pair of 5S5000 mAh, are installed on a tray that loads into the plane and is secured via a tab at the front and a single wing bolt at the rear.

The Cowl on my Cub is from Fiberglass Specialties and is listed as a Super Cub Converstion Cowl for the Sig 1/4 Cub.

All up weight is about 19 lbs. The plane is covered in Solartex and painted so that added a bit of weight.

It is much easier to mess with the velcro straps for the batteries out of the plane on a tray then insert the tray into the plane.

(Note, the photo of the battery for the Sig Cub only shows one battery. The second is stacked on top of the first)

SunDevilPilot

<br type="_moz" />

Truckracer 09-08-2012 11:04 AM

Thanks SunDevil,

Very nice, neat installation!