RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Covering a large plane question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11222798-covering-large-plane-question.html)

a70eliminator 09-09-2012 09:31 AM

Covering a large plane question

I was just browsing through all those beautiful monokte jobs in the gallery and was wondering, do you cover the entire plane ina base color like white and then add the additional colors, and is the addd weight of double thick covering enough to be concerned about?
I have 6 rolls of covering to do my weeks 1/3 scale biplane.
2 rolls of white
2rolls of yellow
2rolls of green
I really don't have a plan yet but this is what I have to work with, hope it's enough.

DGrant 09-09-2012 08:27 PM

RE: Covering a large plane question

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator

I was just browsing through all those beautiful monokte jobs in the gallery and was wondering, do you cover the entire plane ina base color like white and then add the additional colors, and is the addd weight of double thick covering enough to be concerned about?
I have 6 rolls of covering to do my weeks 1/3 scale biplane.
2 rolls of white
2rolls of yellow
2rolls of green
I really don't have a plan yet but this is what I have to work with, hope it's enough.

For me there's several things that dictate how and why I cover/layer as I do. One and probably the biggest would be the scheme itself.. the next would be the structure its going on.. A few things I ponder are might be is there any open bay areas that I might end up with a seam, or even where seams will fall.. and/or where do I want them.. Stripes are no big deal.. those can be cut and added any time..
Something else I ponder is the covering inventory I'm using.. in other words.. Do I even have enough to do a whole base in say.. white?(just hypothetical here).. or will I need to do the top in one color, and the bottom in another..

Theres alot of things you can do with Monokote/film covering depending your perspective and experience with graphics/layering. Of course you don't want to end up with a plane with 2 full layers of covering on it.. and that would not be condusive to good covering management.. it wouldn't be prudent to good weight management.. and it could get more expensive then needed.. Areas of 2 layers are totally acceptable.. and very doable. Just think and plan.. and think some more.. and give yourself permission to make a few mistakes.. thats alright.. and how we learn. Do make a plan though.. it definately helps.. and tells me you're on the right track.. With some planning you can end up with a pro job with little problems.. The more info you can gather the better too...

So come on everyone.. lets help this guy out.. Post some pics and ask more questions if you like.. thats what the forums are for... Good luck.

I'll try to look up a pic of my Extra.. its got a bit of layering on it.. it wasn't too bad though.. I just picked a scheme I liked, and tried to duplicate it as best I can.. it came out decent.

sebo 09-09-2012 09:06 PM

I'd do the plane in Century 21 fabric.........no bubbles when overlaying fabric.........too late for you......you already purchased a covering...
Best of luck...I'm sure you will do ok.

a70eliminator 09-10-2012 03:50 AM

Thanks dgrant thats was some good inspirational advise.
Your exactly right there are open bays on the fuselage sides that I didn't give much thought to.
I thought about copying the Kermit Weeks full scale special but wanted something more my own design.

ahicks 09-10-2012 05:26 AM

One of the bigger problems you'll be facing putting one layer over the next is bubbling between layers. I've found Ultracote is more forgiving of this process when compared to Monocote. If the overlayed area is larger (thinking starburst pattern) it helps to trace the outline of the second layer on the first, allowing you to poke a bunch of pin holes in the overlayed area, which will help minimize the dreaded bubbles.

spaceworm 09-10-2012 07:05 AM

I would not use Monokote or any film covering. In my opinion, especially in a plane this size, film makes a plane looks like a plastic toy. Hanger 9 made an older 1/4 scale J3 Cub in Fabric, then one in film, probably Ultracote. Then, likely by popular demand, went back to fabric covering. I would use Sig Koveral or Solartex, or even one of the full scale fabric coverings as used on gliders. I do not like 21 Century fabric, but I guess others do. Your plane, your choice, but look around at different scale planes and then decide on whether film or fabric.. This is just my opinion and my choice of covering. Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard

sebo 09-10-2012 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Century 21 fabric.........love it!

I ironed on the pattern right over the white....not one bubble and I didn't punch any holes to let the air out...Just need to use the iron to put it on.

a70eliminator 09-10-2012 03:33 PM

I just mostly want to fly it but look presentable on the runway.

speedracerntrixie 09-10-2012 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMO the fiml covering is going to be the way to go. For an airplane like what you have additional weight is to be avoided. I used to do all my covering in Monokote. Now that Monokote has been ruined I had to change things up. My current method is to use Ultacote for a base and then trim with Monokote. This way I have the ease of application of Ultracote but the Monokote trim can be applied with windex. The method is simple. Cut your trim peice out of Mono, spray the back with windex lay in place. position and then squeegee the windex out with a peice of 1/4" balsa. After 24 hrs go over the peice with an iron. It's fast and easy. Best of all is you wont have to poke a bunch of holes because the squeegee step gets rid of any trapped air. Here is my latest that was just test flown over the weekend.

sebo 09-10-2012 05:29 PM

wow!

Billy J 09-25-2012 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
good tips ! I would not fight monakote over monakote , if you iron on monakota over monakote you will have a million bubbles,, Monakote first the airfrme in base color followed by trim sceem done with vinyl patterns . They have many companies that can cut your design , then apply with windex / squeege out excess .You can go to your local sign shop and get any color andsize cheap.This is a very easy way to make good looing model.. Good luck

rye 09-25-2012 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi
i been using ulatcoat for years, over lays great ,just use low heat at frist then go over it a little hotter heres two i did some people can tell whats the main covering on the red one and with the rv-4 i try my hand in painting the black on turn out great just dont do it when it is hot outside,rye

dignlivn 09-25-2012 04:51 PM

+1

Bob

jeffEE 10-04-2012 04:24 PM

On a 1/3 scale bi plane, weight of the covering is not an issue. There is a LOT of lift in the wings. Now that is not to say that you can just dump a ton of lead onto it and it will be ok. But an extra roll of covering is just not a big deal to a 1/3 scale bi plane. Just get the CG correct after the thing is done. I fly 1/4 scale bi planes and mine is about 19 pounds, but I have flown with other planes of the same type that were in the 25 lbs range and they flew fine. So cover away and enjoy.