RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Battery eliminating circuit (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11321199-battery-eliminating-circuit.html)

acerc 12-05-2012 07:35 PM

Battery eliminating circuit

I figure this is a good place to ask this question. I want to go from two NiMh batteries to one LiFe. Would a 5v output bec placed between the battery and the ignition be the right way to go? Don't want to fry the ignition's.

nitro wing 12-05-2012 09:34 PM

RE: Battery eliminating circuit

what motor and ignition?

Tony Hallo 12-06-2012 03:03 AM

I am currently using a Hobby King 5 amp BEC on my receiver battery for ignition power. The only draw back is it must be unplugged after the end of the day, it draws about 100ma with the ignition off. Call me crazy but it works. Two years ago I would never considered this. Here's my current setup;
Two Troy Built 2600 ma li-poly batteries
Smart Fly Regulator set at 5.9 volt
Hobby King 5V BEC ignition regulator plugged into one of flight pack charge plugs
D&B 5.1 twin engine - Has resistor sprark plug wires, not shielded
FrSky 2.4 receiver 8 channel
Smart Fly Ignition cutoff
Homemade power distribution board with 4.7 mf capacitor filter
7 Hitec 7555 servos

karolh 12-06-2012 04:59 AM

How long have you been using your FrSky 2.4 system. Is it the telemetry capable version and how do you rate it's performance.

Karol

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2012 07:17 AM

Get a dual output A123 and run a diode drop down on the lead to the ignition.

No need for an IBEC.

wrongwayrc.com sells what you need.

acerc 12-06-2012 07:29 AM

The LiFe I bought has dual output's. Would be glad to do the diode, had one berore for something else, but don't know what size diode to go.

Tony Hallo 12-06-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: karolh

How long have you been using your FrSky 2.4 system. Is it the telemetry capable version and how do you rate it's performance.

Karol
Two seasons, two planes, does have telemerty, no problems to report, good range, no resets or brown outs, no failures. How else might one rate the system? It is cheap and works. I have the module installed in a Futaba 9C, considering upgrading the telemetry.

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: acerc

The LiFe I bought has dual output's. Would be glad to do the diode, had one berore for something else, but don't know what size diode to go.
Not sure on the specs of the diode though I'm sure with some searching you could find it.

I use these, last on the page.

http://www.shop.kavarootusa.com/cate...?categoryId=10

acerc 12-06-2012 12:09 PM

Thank's Andy. In my search on this thing I have talked to several people as well as posted question's. Just got done talking with a local fella that deals with large scale. He recommended I go with a Tech-Aero Ultra. It not only regulates the current but also fuctions as a kill switch. Two birds with one stone. Not that I'm a big fan of Tx kill switches but, WTH, choke switch or kill switch either way I'm flipping a switch.
Well see!

acerc 12-06-2012 12:47 PM

In regards to the A123's the US manufacturer, A123 Systems,  is no longer selling them. According to their website.

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2012 01:04 PM

They are no longer selling packs to end users. They are supplying cells in bulk to places like Wrongway, Tail Dragger, and others that sell A123 packs.

acerc 12-06-2012 01:23 PM

Did a little more research and it's only the US that is no longer producing. They have four other plants, Germany, Korea, and 2 in China

abelard 12-06-2012 01:57 PM

According to this, the US affiliate is bankrupt and up for sale:

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2012/1...ngle_page=true

eddieC 12-06-2012 01:58 PM

Johnson Controls bought A123's US operations. They'll be around for a while.

acerc 12-06-2012 02:19 PM

Just got an E-mail back from Wrongway. According to them, Richard,  they have plenty for now. He also said he does not know how their, A123 System,  bankrupcy will effect them

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2012 03:14 PM

As was said, the production of the consumer use cells (tools, us, military etc) have been and appear to continue to be unaffected.

MTK 12-06-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: acerc

Thank's Andy. In my search on this thing I have talked to several people as well as posted question's. Just got done talking with a local fella that deals with large scale. He recommended I go with a Tech-Aero Ultra. It not only regulates the current but also fuctions as a kill switch. Two birds with one stone. Not that I'm a big fan of Tx kill switches but, WTH, choke switch or kill switch either way I'm flipping a switch.
Well see!
The Tech Aero unit is the only one I would consider. It has several important features; the most important ones are invisible dealing with signal filtering. RFI just doesn't get past the filters. As a safety remote arming switch (I use my retract switch on the TX) it serves just fine. With its built in V reg you may have 6 1/2 or 7volts in but you set the output to 5 V to the CDI...Plus, at 40$ it's inexpensive

Truckracer 12-06-2012 06:12 PM

Ace, like you I never cared much for the ignition cut-off circuits. Recently though, I decided to try the Tech-Aero IBEC. So far it works great and I certainly like the idea of one less battery. I might be a convert!

acerc 12-06-2012 06:23 PM

Happy to hear Truckracer. I have never been a fan of electronic cut-offs either. But?
Andy I'm just repeating what was told to me, don't know anything anything for sure.  Either way there are A123's available. I have already purchased the LiFe battery anyway and ordered the Techaero IBEC.

drac1 12-06-2012 10:19 PM

The Tech Aero IBEC is the best option. I've been using them on my YS cdi's and 100cc gassers with no problems what soever.

ahicks 12-07-2012 05:18 AM

I use 2 leads from the single A123 battery pack as well. Those lead to 2 switches. From there, one goes to the receiver, the second to a Y in the rudder line. The second lead that goes to the Y will supply the largest servo (or the one that's likely stressed the most), and demanding the most power. That power is also capable of backing up through the receiver to help out anywhere else it's needed - and is also capable of supplying the entire system in case of a switch failure on the other line? This gives a lot of the redundancy a dual battery pack setup may give you.

There's nothing wrong with the Ultra IBEC, but the Rcexl opti switch with a diode can do the same thing for about half of what those cost. Commonly available for 20.00 or less. There are a TON of them in use. One source would be Wrongway, he's a distributor for Rcexl, and that's what he gets for them. VV has them as well....

The diode is placed in the output leg of the switch (leading to the ign. module). The diode you're after is 1N4007, available in 5 packs from Radio Shack for about 5.00. The only thing that makes that diode special is that they're easy to find, they'll drop the voltage enough for our purposes, and they can handle any load placed on them by the ign. module. Wrongway also has these available in a short extension all wrapped up pretty and ready to go at a pretty reasonably price as well.

Nothing wrong with the other sources listed, but additionally, A123 cells are available from a guy here in the Midwest to allow you to build your own packs. Good guy, easy to talk with, fair prices. -Al

http://www.voltmanbatteries.com/serv...LLS/Categories