RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Gruman Ag-Cat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/1156153-gruman-ag-cat.html)

anothercrashpilot 11-20-2007 01:06 AM

RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

[sm=wink_smile.gif]The RIGHT picture posted in the RIGHT Page ! This should help future builders and followers !...........What few pictures I've seen ,I believe they're the same for Both versions........................ It's actually Offset Further than the plans show ! .................But , At least I'll Feel better about mounting it that way knowing it IS correct ! ! ;)

anothercrashpilot 11-20-2007 01:36 AM

The plans show the Ailerons to be Top Hinged, .........I have the big Dubro flat hinges , But never tried the HingePoint type ! What type of hinge do Ya'll prefer on the BIG planes, And Dare I ask What is the PROPER way to put the Flat hinges on this type Aileron ? ................AND,,,,,,What kind of Input do you have on the Conceiled SINGLE control arm/joiner for the elevator halves ? ? I'd prefer not to have dual servos if possible and may use controls like RANDY's but with a single servo ? ! ? ! .P.S. I don't have the control rods ETC... or servos YET ! ! ........... But WE HAVE A PAGE 3 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! .........THANKs [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

RedTwilight 11-21-2007 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of more pics. The first shows the aileron push rod on the lower wing. The second is the aileron hinge on the underside of the top wing.

RedTwilight 11-21-2007 08:28 AM

[:-][X(] WHOOOAAAA!!!! Sorry for the huge pics. I thought this thing resized them for you. Just like it did with my previous pics.[&:] Man thats huge. But at least you get to see plenty of detail.:D

anothercrashpilot 11-22-2007 01:05 AM

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ...OH MY GOODNESS ! ! ! ![sm=what_smile.gif] that IS a Big picture ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I've been meaning to get with you about a couple pics.But not sure what they were about right now ? ! ........ It may have been about the specs. / shape of the TURBO front end ,. How much further it extends past the front cabane struts to the prop line ! ? Compared to the Radial version ! ................. Just in case someone where to convert the plans TO Turbo ! :eek: It would be nice to know how much further to Extend the front end ! ....................................Ratio/Percent wise .................................................. ................THANKs......

RedTwilight 11-25-2007 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I don't have any specs yet but here is the best side shot of the front of the turbo-Cat.[&:]

anothercrashpilot 11-26-2007 02:45 AM

[sm=50_50.gif].....Pretty Good side shot ! .....And this is the Preffered Model ..... There's one kind out there that has a big droop at the front end ! ! ...[:'(] ! ! ....(A CHIN ! ! ! ).. It looks like the Bottom Keeps the same Taper up to the nose , But the Hood Appears to DROP after the front strut ! ..It Does't seem to keep the same TAPER all the way down from the windshield ? ? ............................... NOW , Do you happen to have a shot of the front showing the OUTLINE under/around the spinner ? ? Or how the FRONT comesTOGETHER ? ? ? ..............................................I'm still messing with the RADIAL version now, But I'm always Thinking of the TURBO ! ! ! :D

RedTwilight 11-26-2007 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still no direct straight on shot. But maybe this will help you out. If needed let me know and I'll go try and get a couple more pics straight on and parallel to the side.

anothercrashpilot 11-27-2007 03:45 AM

[sm=teeth_smile.gif] HEY, THANKs and I appreciate your time and help ! ! ....I think the Biggest issue will still be to get the Distance from the front of the top front strut ,OR EVEN from the front of the Landing Gear at the bottom corner of the fuse , And out to the Back of the Prop or prop line ,On BOTH the Turbo AND Radial version, For Comparing, so I'll know how far to extend the "Radial" PLANS ! ...................THANKs AGAIN ! ! ! ! ! ! .................................................. ...................................;)

anothercrashpilot 12-04-2007 01:56 AM

.............. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ WORMSSSSSS ! ! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ [sm=what_smile.gif]I guess I hit the Wrong Button ! ? ! ? ! ? ............:eek:.........I don't know How I'll ever get to post Pictures ,,,,, Just getting on THIS Page with the BIG picture just about Shuts down my Computer ! ! ! ....SERIOUSLY ! ! !... ANYHOW,,,,,,,,, I'm just skipping around on my plane, Need to order more Parts but I've hit a Financial WALL ! ! ! ! DDUUUUUHHHHHHHHH................ I have the Tail group Framed and Hinged , But need to finish Pinning the Hinges with Wire nails Before I Sheet them.......... ......... Horizontal group is 44" wide and a 23" tall Rudder ! ! ........... And I will take PICTURES Before and After ! ! ! .......Slowly but Surely................:D

outacontrol41 12-04-2007 02:01 AM

Hey crash....downsize your pictures before you post 'em and only post 2 or three at a time. Wanna see what you're up to....get those pictures up!!!!![>:]

D.R.BOWERS 12-14-2007 09:04 AM

Hi to all.
I have found a great book on the ag-cat. It is called the ageless ag-cat. The ISBN is 0-963-0731-1-7. It is full of great detail. Hard back 117 pages long.

Good flying.
Dale

RedTwilight 12-15-2007 07:32 AM

Does not anyone still post here. To long this thread has gone without significant posts. Anyone who is building or working on an AgCat please post. Also anymore info on the Cat from Duane Habets?

mac49 12-21-2007 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm working on a 33% scale based on Floyd Fitzgeralds plans from Model Builder. It is constructed from pine, fir, door skins, and 1/4" plywood underlayment. It is a bit heavy but I plan to attach a large single cylinder gas conversion to it and need the mass to dampen the vibrations. (138cc snowblower, low rpm, big prop.) I'm also using some of the construction methods I borrowed from my EAA magazines. Currently it sits at 14 lb. I'll try to keep it under 45. Landing gear is being manufactured by TNT from 5/16" T6061. A pair of ribbed mountain board wheels will be used. With my work schedule I should be done in 2009. I intended to cover at least as much of it with fabric as Floyd did. Got to save some weight. It will be stand-off scale until I get control of the weight issue.

Mac49.

outacontrol41 12-21-2007 09:25 PM

I think a lot of us have been waiting to see pics like this during the build process. Thanks for posting....and keep them coming. Much appreciated.;)

anothercrashpilot 12-22-2007 03:21 AM

.............. [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]! ! ! ! SUPER SWEET ! ! ! ! .[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif].................. I think you've been hiding TOOOO long ! ! And BOY ! was I Surprised to SEE an actual build on this plane .........................I really like the one piece Front wall ! ......I HOPE you post you're Ideas as you go...........AS far as the weight issue, It looks as though it's going together Very Light ! ! ! ............What kind of set-up are you going to use for center CABANE struts ? ....I guess the SPAN will be around 12 1/2 feet ? .................You're plane is looking VERY nice and CLEAN ! and I Really hope to see/hear more on it SOON,...........................THANKs for POSTING ![sm=teeth_smile.gif]

D.R.BOWERS 12-22-2007 08:54 AM

Hi to all.

That is a one big AG-CAT. I love it. I am also thinking about a 1/3 scale AG-CCAT. I enlarged the plans a few weeks ago. Do you think it would be possible to use the same balsa construction as with the plans, only with larger balsa wood? Or would it not have the strength.

Good flying.
Dale

mac49 12-22-2007 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anothercrashpilot - Center cabane struts, I believe I'll be using the same structure as the full size aircraft but using wire faired with spruce. I haven't worked out the attachment arrangement but it will most likely follow the full size. Wing span will be around 12 feet. I've got the ribs and spars cut and intend to make the wing panels removable using Al tubing and wooden dowel. Tail feathers are also removable. The elevator is 52.5" and has to come off to pass through the door. Flying wires need to be fully functionally and will be adjustable to get tension and incidence correct. It is not going to be a quick assembly for flying. Firewall is actually two layers of half inch. I have an adapter designed which allows me to test a number of large displacement conversion engines on it.

D.R. Bowers - for its weight balsa is pretty strong. I feel strongly that a model of this size needs to built so it is rugged and adds additional safety in its construction; especially since I'll be using a vibrator up front. I have gusseted all structural butt joints and have purposely not drilled any holes in the longerons. The plywood doubler is actually doubled to take the vibrations from the engine and provide structural support for the landing gear. (I may route it out to save additional weight later.) There will be additional bracing added when the gear arrives. The landing gear is 5/16" thick and two inches wide at the top. If this prototype comes in underweight I can add additional scale features that will add more fun to flying it. (Duster, waterdrop,?) To answer your question, if you plank the fuselage to replicate its metal skin and plank the wings, I'd guess that would be adequate. I prefer to design with materials I am familiar with also. I also use polyurathane cement, so building time is much slower.

mac49

gjmjoe017 12-23-2007 09:01 PM

Just curious,what is the wingspan and length?

anothercrashpilot 12-24-2007 01:54 AM

.................! ! ! ! ... " MERRY CHRISTMAS " ... ! ! ! ! .....EVERYONE... ! ! ! ...... BEST WISHES and Hope you all have been GOOD ! ! .............[sm=wink_smile.gif]

mac49 12-24-2007 04:55 PM

Span will be 12 feet and around 7 feet 6 inches in length.

mac49

gjmjoe017 12-24-2007 05:58 PM

Wow,one of those big radials sure would be sweet on one of these!!!!!

outacontrol41 12-24-2007 06:29 PM

Go ahead and build yours. I went to the mall and sat on Santa's lap and told him I want a completly built 1/3 scale Agcat with a gas radial with working hopper that will dust 1/2 acre. Well, okay...I only got half of that out before the mall security guards rushed me and hauled me toward the exit. But I managed to holler to him the rest my request just before they slammed the door. I think he heard me. So, I'm really looking forward to finding my new shiny Agcat under the tree in the morning. I'll let you know.
In the meantime...Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!:D

D.R.BOWERS 12-26-2007 08:01 AM

Hi, Mac 49
I just started reading a book on large scale aircraft and I realized that when I asked about balsa construction I hadn’t thought about the stress a big engine will put on a plane. Anyway thank you for the reply to my question. Hope you had a holiday season.

Good flying.
Dale

mac49 12-28-2007 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings to all who are following this Ag-Cat thread. I will share my on going project with those that are interested. My building is slow because I use antiquated processes (I cut my own parts) and seat of the pants engineering. I am full time employed by the federal govenment and find myself traveling from home frequently to support the needs of the Navy. (I'm retired from the Navy but still work for them in a civilian capacity.) So I anticipate at least another year before I get paint onto the coverning.

I'm enclosing some updates on what I have managed to complete during the holidays. I've completed the framing of the upper wing tank. It will be the attachment point for my two wing panels. I intend to use half inch aluminum tubing threaded through the tank ribs with a 3/8 oak dowel inserted half way in from each side to connect the wing panels. The flying/landing wires should be sufficient to retain the wings in place. I have a future engine in mind that might require additional connectivity so I may add some additional connectivity as I think about the situation. (I'd sure like to find a DA-150 under the tree some year.)

Spars for the wings will be a built-up box spar using 1/2 X 1/2 pine with 1/8 webbing. Webs will be the same width and used to align the ribs. I used the same process to manufacture the wing tank area.

I've also completed framing the roll over cage. It is removeable to allow access to the servos that will be under the seat. I still have to complete the fairing for the back of the roll over cage. I haven't completed the center section of the canopy either yet. There is a hinged assembly that goes in the empty area of the cage.

Additionally I framed in the attachments for the lower wing. There is a boxspar connects the two wings together. I originally thought I'd use a different system for connecting the wings other than the tube and dowel, but I decided that I wasn't quite ready to attempt it (used stailess steel straps). Older aircraft use a set of joiners at the spars but that left too much of a gap to be scale-like for this model, so I opted for the tube and dowel.

I've got a 40 oz tank that will be installed behind the fire wall. Battery packs will be located below in a padded enclosure. All lower fusalage panels on the plane will be removable to allow access. There will be separate battery packs for the receiver, servos, and glow. I'm converting a snow blower to burn an ethanol/naptalene/caster oil mixture. Glow will have to remain on to retain the fire. I've got to complete the propeller hub, build a test stand, and make a determination if this will be the final setup. Does anyone know how bio-diesel does as a lubricant?

mac49