RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Gruman Ag-Cat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/1156153-gruman-ag-cat.html)

corcguy 03-04-2008 02:38 PM

RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

I am a really lousy typist so I don't do much of it.

outacontrol41 03-04-2008 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: corcguy

I am a really lousy typist so I don't do much of it.
I understand completely.:D I never learned to type properly but I've memorized the entire keyboard and now, using only my index fingers, I can give an experienced typist at any office a run for her or his money. I learned to type fast mostly on this very forum when I joined way back.
BTW...did you ever get around to even starting your Agcat? Just curious. (type yes or no.....:eek:)LOL

anothercrashpilot 03-05-2008 03:45 AM

:eek:...........WELL ? ! ? !.........I got an Email today from the guy supposidly cutting MY kit and he say's Finally getting to it .............? ! ? ! I'm going to have him cut an extra WING kit for the one I started ,But , WE'LL Seeeee...................[sm=72_72.gif]

rychaross 03-18-2008 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATES on the ARF DH AG CAT............. Subject to change as time moves on but as for now this is the prototype broken down. I'm sure each order is subject to be different according to your desired level of completion by Duane. I will complete the prototype from this point on.

you can contact me at [email protected]

outacontrol41 03-18-2008 07:47 AM

That turned out beautiful! That's about how I envisioned it. I'll take one!:D:D

RedTwilight 03-18-2008 11:16 AM

[X(]WOOOWWW!!! That's sweet! I want one now. Beautiful work. I may have to forego the Pawnee and save up for this!

outacontrol41 03-18-2008 05:31 PM

Brian, I sent a pm reply to your address request along with my original response about two weeks ago. Don't be like me....get that computer organized!:D:eek:

rychaross 03-19-2008 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wally,

I gotcha on the list and yes you are 2nd in line next to me. I think mine is in. They tried to deliver it yesterday but no one was home to receive it. I'll run by the post office this afternoon to pick it up.

Have a good one. Here a picture just for fun

anothercrashpilot 03-20-2008 02:23 AM

[sm=teeth_smile.gif].! ! EXCELLENT POSTs ,RYCHAROSS ! ! ! ! .......I like seeing Pics of the full size CAT, And the KIT looks to be AWSOME ! ! ! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]................Do you know the Specs yet ? ? .......Is it going to be the same size as the Fitzgerald Plans ?.................THANKs, And keep up the good work ! ! !

rychaross 03-20-2008 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To all inquiring about the AgCat........

I received the DH Ag Cat yesterday afternoon (03/19/08) I can tell you now that this is one of the finest durable ARF's that I've ever seen and put my hands on. Duane really hit a homerun on this one. Everything in the kit is top notch quality. You won't be disapointed. Now I need to purchase me a new digital camera so that I can post progress pics as I move along with the completion process.

Just for fun for you guys to look at....I'm think of finishing the DH Ag Cat in one of these color schemes. Still undecided.

rychaross 03-20-2008 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
anothercrashpilot,

Thanks for the good words.....;). I like seeing the pictures that others post also. It keeps the forum very interesting. I think from the conversation I had with Duane that it is the same size as the Fitzgerald kit. Since Easter is this weekend it will probably be next week before I can confirm measurements.

To all....Have a safe and Happy Easter..........

Just for fun....see a video of I think the RCS 150 Radial.

http://www.rcshowcase.com/

Highlight RCS engines....pick any radial....click on see a video...

outacontrol41 03-20-2008 08:16 AM

Brian...I wrote a response in the cropduster thread. I'm glad you've taken charge of this project. Honestly, I was going to build this from Fitzgerald plans. I think I'm going to cancel that plan and wait for the ARF, and it definately looks like it will be worth the wait. NEVER EVER thought ANYONE would produce this as an ARF....happy to say I was wrong.[8D]
Brian, take pictures with your new camera....we're watching you!

rychaross 03-20-2008 09:30 AM

outacontrol41,

Man........no pressure huh :eek: Just kidding. It's an honor to be working with Duane. I'm with you; never thought we would see and Arf on this plane for sure. I'm not about to drop the interest on this one. Life long love of this plane.

roly1129 03-20-2008 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys for those wating for that ARF AG-CAT try this for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, just came out yesterday at AVSIM.com file Name g164a.zip.
It will keep you busy until more progres is done the DH ARF AG-CAT.

Firebird25 03-20-2008 06:11 PM

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-A...Ag-Cat/0692667

In 1985 I has several business meetings with Air Algerie and one time I had to walk across the airport to the office building where the meeting was to take place. Much to my surprise, I found a Grumman AG Cat in my path. The very same one as in the above photo at airliners.net. It seems that you will be able to find these aircraft all over the world.

Lowlevlflyer 03-29-2008 02:13 PM

Glad I happened to run across this thread. I've wanted an Ag Cat for a LOOOONG time now! Of the 6,000 hrs of flight time I have, a little over a thousand of it is flying B model 1340 powered Cats spraying rice over in Arkansas. They're one of the sweetest flying ag aircraft in existence, and one of, if not THE safest.

Lowlevlflyer 03-29-2008 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bofrcr

Hello Guys! In going through this thread,, it brings to mind a local aplicator that had/has a grumman ag cat. When I was farming,, we'd contract him on a regular basis for appling pesticides and fungicides by air,,when he came out to spray our fields,, it was like having your own private airshow! He knew I was involved with models,and I'd flown a number of times at there airfield,,too Just something for you guys to think about,, all spray planes have the bottom of the spray tank open like a big clamshell,, so in an emergency,, they hit the "panic button",(mounted on the joy stick) and dump the entire load in a fraction of a second! at airshows that was always a favorite thing,, kinda looked like a forest fire plane! (at airshows,, they'd use colored water) and if anybody's interested,, the color of the product sprayed,, would be either yellow,, or light blue As I remember,, it's quite expensive to have your fields sprayed by air,, about $7-8 an acre,, vs $3-4 by ground application anyway,, any of you guys gonna have it spray? oh,,by the way,, the term,, "crop duster" is way out of date,, hasn't been and dry material used in almost 45-50 years :) ok,, good luck!
Well, I know this guy's post is a bit old, but in the event that anyone's interested, I thought I'd clear up a few misconceptions about what he said.

Ag aircraft hoppers have what's called a gatebox at the bottom, mounted on the underside of the belly. It serves two purposes:

1. It controls the rate and flow of dry materials like fertilizer, as they flow into the spreader.

2. It serves as an emergency dump for the hopper contents in the event of an aircraft emergency. The emergency dump is actually operated by a lever by the side of the pilots
seat instead of a button on the stick.

Although the term "crop duster" IS out of date, and the proper terminology these days is "aerial applicator", dry materials ARE still in use. Dry fertilizer is put out very commonly by air. Aerial seeding is also utilized, especially in rice country. Also, dry Sulphur dust is still applied to grapes in the wine country of California. Hey, if you're gonna build 'em scale, you gotta know how it all works!! :D

outacontrol41 03-29-2008 06:02 PM

Thanks for sharing that info....;) good to know. I think the term 'cropduster' is just etched in our minds. 'Aerial applicator' doesn't flow off the tongue as easy.

51-D GUY 03-29-2008 07:33 PM

I Must dissagree with Bofrcr , Having grown up around Ag-Cats , Here in South La. i Helped hook up Spreaders to the sump of the Hopper,

They are Used for planting Rice, Despencing Granular Fertilizer, Both of these are DRY.

51-D GUY.

mac49 03-30-2008 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update on the 33% version I've been building. Slow going. Will be putting it away until August. Uncle likes to send me places so I'll get some time to think about making the fittings to hook up all the parts that are hanging on with clamps. Still haven't decided on covering. It's pretty heavy so I'll have to go light. Next time I'm going to use a lot more balsa. Or, make it bigger and fly it myself.

I only off set the tail 1.5 degrees. The tail feathers are removable as well as wings and struts.

One picture shows the landing gear attachment screws. I may change them to nylon when flying.

This critter fills Frank Tennino's call for heavy aircraft. I'll have to start saving my allowance so I can buy a more powerfull engine.

anothercrashpilot 03-31-2008 12:08 AM

[sm=omg_smile.gif].....WHAT A TEASE ! ! ! ! ............That's a long time to leave us hanging AGAIN ! ! ! ......... BUT , Hey, At least you gave us ALOT to look at in the meantime ! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]............ LOOKs like it's coming along just fine ! Nice to see you've made alot of Progress with it already .........and I'd like to see youre landing gear strapped to it on your NEXT pictures ! ! !..........................SAD TO SAY I've made NO significant progress with mine [&o].................................................. ...............Alot of Mental anguish and DISSAPOINTMENT with my CUTTER ! ! ! ! ! ........... ..... Not to mention my wife having me do "STAGE TWO " with the Expansion to our Patio ! etc. etc. etc. etc, .................................................. ............LATER !

gjmjoe017 03-31-2008 06:15 PM

Mac 49,what's the wingspan on your Cat???

mac49 03-31-2008 08:18 PM

Should be a little over 144 inches.

gjmjoe017 04-03-2008 05:57 PM

My other question I forgot to ask you is what enigne ya gonna use?At 144"span it's got to come in around 35-40lbs.

mac49 04-05-2008 02:12 AM

I have a number of large single cylinder engines I'm converting, something in the 120cc plus range. I'd really like to install a twin but the budget just isn't there yet. If I can't get enough thrust, I'll have to talk to the spouse about buying a used twin. I'm looking at next year at the earliest since I'm hitting the road shortly for an extended period.

I'd hope to be in that weight range, but it'll probably be pushing the max allowed. There is very little balsa in it as it is. A lot of pine and spruce, or white wood as they call it at HomeDepot. There was additional 1/4 ply used in the fuselage to help dampen out the vibrations I expected from the large thumper.