RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Wing warp, Sig Spacewalker (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/11670306-wing-warp-sig-spacewalker.html)

propstryker 10-01-2019 01:43 PM

Wing warp, Sig Spacewalker

Does anyone have ideas on taking out wing warps? The left wing is warped bad enough that it is causing me severe trim issues. I have heard of spraying the balsa with water and weighing it down with sandbags.

RCFlyerDan 10-02-2019 08:16 AM

Figure out how it is warped, and tighten the covering on the opposite side of the warp. If you covered with a shrink covering, like Monokote, you tighten the covering too tight on the first side too much before covering the other side. The covering shouldn’t be tighten up until both sides are covered. I would recover the wing. After taking the covering off, you will see the true warp if there’s one. Otherwise, how were you going to get it wet inside? Filled the wing with water? That isn’t good for the glue.

Truckracer 10-02-2019 05:36 PM

The Spacewalker has a very robust wing construction with “D” tubes front and back. If it is warped, I doubt you could twist it out with covering. Might have to deconstruct it by removing some of the sheeting, straighten and add the sheeting back before recovering. Not that hard, just a nuisance project and time consuming.

propstryker 10-02-2019 07:01 PM

By using a mist and spray the joints. I don't know, I read it on the internet, so it must be true! Stupid idea I know.

propstryker 10-02-2019 07:04 PM

I think someone hung this model in the garage for a long time with the wings on and using straps. I think it is going to be a real pain in the you know what to repair this. I like your idea. It is not monokote on this model, it is fabric and painted, a very beautiful paint job I might add. I will have to make a decision whether or not I want to spend the time on it. I came with an awesome Saito 300. What a great sound! Maybe put the engine in a Cub.

RCFlyerDan 10-03-2019 03:41 AM

I hear and understand your frustration. I don’t think that you can spray the joints, since the joints are under water proof fabric. If it is silk and dope, there isn’t much that can be done. If it is an iron on fabric, then the tightest side could be removed. It is pulling the frame. If the plane is sentimental, then it would be worth the effort. If not, hang for decorations. We’ve all had pretty planes that didn’t fly right and just hung them. It isn’t right to sell the problem to some one else.

propstryker 10-03-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan (Post 12554290)
I hear and understand your frustration. I don’t think that you can spray the joints, since the joints are under water proof fabric. If it is silk and dope, there isn’t much that can be done. If it is an iron on fabric, then the tightest side could be removed. It is pulling the frame. If the plane is sentimental, then it would be worth the effort. If not, hang for decorations. We’ve all had pretty planes that didn’t fly right and just hung them. It isn’t right to sell the problem to some one else.

Agreed. I would never sell a plane like this with a relatively serious issue. I will try a few things before I decide to move on to another project. I might give it to a friend of mine that has a very large hangar where, among other things, he has giant scale planes hanging. I would probably take out the motor and radio equipment. Thank you for your thoughts.

retransit 10-04-2019 06:17 AM

Unfortunately, with a D-tube construction, the warp is locked in to the wing. Only deconstruction can unlock it and that means removing the sheeting forward of the spar. Not what you want to hear, but it can be fixed with a lot of work. The question is, do you want to invest the time and effort or just move on to another project.

propstryker 10-09-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by retransit (Post 12554432)
Unfortunately, with a D-tube construction, the warp is locked in to the wing. Only deconstruction can unlock it and that means removing the sheeting forward of the spar. Not what you want to hear, but it can be fixed with a lot of work. The question is, do you want to invest the time and effort or just move on to another project.

Yes, that is the million dollar question. I will spend a little more time on this, but my patience is thin when it comes to stuff like this. I am going to want to move on to another project pretty soon. Thanks for the tips.

carlgrover 10-10-2019 05:56 AM

Try this:

Strap the entire plane down in a Robart super stand or something like it. Put an incidence meter on the root of the left wing half. Put a second one on the tip and compare the readings. Make sure your ailerons are straight when you do this. Unless the plane has some washout built in or it's the warped one, they should be the same. Now take the second incidence meter off and compare readings to the first one at the root and tip of the right wing half. By now you should know which half is warped. Also, the root reading on both wing halves should be pretty much the same but you never know.

Put the second incidence meter on the wing tip of the warped wing. Have a friend hold that wing and gently twist it while watching the incidence meter. He should warp the wing a couple of degrees beyond the number you ultimately want and hold it there. Now you take a heat gun and heat the covering, top and bottom all over while he's holding that twist (yes, I know it's painted and not monokoted, what have you got to lose?). After you've heated it some, stop and have him continue to hold for a bit longer until the wing is cooled. Then he gently lets off the twist and you see where the incidence went. You may need to do this a few times until you get it right. You also may need to do both wing halves. It's a trial and error thing.

If it doesn't work, you can adjust for the warp by moving your ailerons up/down as necessary. If it's so bad the thing flies like a pretzel, scrap out the wing and build another. SIG probably sells a wing kit. I know they do for other models.

Carl

propstryker 10-11-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by carlgrover (Post 12555732)
Try this:

Strap the entire plane down in a Robart super stand or something like it. Put an incidence meter on the root of the left wing half. Put a second one on the tip and compare the readings. Make sure your ailerons are straight when you do this. Unless the plane has some washout built in or it's the warped one, they should be the same. Now take the second incidence meter off and compare readings to the first one at the root and tip of the right wing half. By now you should know which half is warped. Also, the root reading on both wing halves should be pretty much the same but you never know.

Put the second incidence meter on the wing tip of the warped wing. Have a friend hold that wing and gently twist it while watching the incidence meter. He should warp the wing a couple of degrees beyond the number you ultimately want and hold it there. Now you take a heat gun and heat the covering, top and bottom all over while he's holding that twist (yes, I know it's painted and not monokoted, what have you got to lose?). After you've heated it some, stop and have him continue to hold for a bit longer until the wing is cooled. Then he gently lets off the twist and you see where the incidence went. You may need to do this a few times until you get it right. You also may need to do both wing halves. It's a trial and error thing.

If it doesn't work, you can adjust for the warp by moving your ailerons up/down as necessary. If it's so bad the thing flies like a pretzel, scrap out the wing and build another. SIG probably
sells a wing kit. I know they do for other models.

Carl

Great ideas Carl. I will try them. I can see that it is the left wing panel. I will work on it some more. As you can see, the guy who built it did a great job. It is a great looking model.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c5eb1240e1.jpg

carlgrover 10-14-2019 11:26 AM

Wow. Gorgeous. Would be a shame to have to scrap that wing.

carl

propstryker 10-16-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by carlgrover (Post 12556684)
Wow. Gorgeous. Would be a shame to have to scrap that wing.

carl

I agree Carl. It is a gorgeous plane. The guy did a great job. Fabric, stitching, paint...nice. It would be very difficult to scrap the wing, rebuild and duplicate. I am working on the trim issues to get it to fly reasonably well enough to enjoy. After all, it is just a sport plane, not a 3D plane!