RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/1395907-gary-allen-33%25-b%C3%BCcker-jungmeister.html)

jeide 03-23-2004 05:47 PM

RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hi Jay. You mentioned the 1/4 scale plans are messed up. Is their any other problems with them besides the bottom center section and do you know when that will be fixed? I have their short kit on the way. Thanks, Jim

jwreffner 03-24-2004 07:27 AM

Jim,
As I am working my way through the plans as I build, I've been updating my master copy of plans. So far, off the top of my head, the dihedral templates are also missing, some of the formers are mislabeled, the wing fairings aren't documented and a bunch of the wood sizes aren't right. They were sized for the 1/3 and the draftsman that scaled it down to 1/4 never changed them (i.e. from 1/4 sq spruce to 3/8 sq spruce etc...). If you want I can start to go through my plans and make a formal list of what all is jacked up. The biggest problem in the plans is that most stuff simply isn't labeled.

Jay

jwreffner 03-24-2004 07:28 AM

Oops, sorry, I meant from 1/4 sq spruce to 3/16 sq spruce [:@]

Jay

jeide 03-24-2004 05:30 PM

Thanks Jay. I received the box today and will checkn it out tonight. Jim

jwreffner 04-29-2004 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of problems with the 1/4 scale plans! As I've been working on finishing up the fuse, I've noticed that the formers aren't sized right from F-2 all the way to F-10. I've had to recut and resize about half of them because they were either too narrow for the fuse, too tall or too short! A guy at MAN said they were going to pull the plans but that was like a month ago and they are still there!

Hey Big_Bird, if you're still following this thread, if you've got any detailed pictures of your tail wheel setup I would love to see them. I'm still debating on how to make mine steerable. Any thoughts anyone? I don't want to use a pull-pull spring from the rudder because it won't look too hot. I'm thinking about running another server and push rod and doing it that way. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
Jay

Big_Bird 04-29-2004 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howdy Jay, yes I still follow. I just haven't had much progress lately to show.

The first photo shows the pull-pull tiller arm mounted on the tailwheel shaft. I drilled a hardwood block for the wire and used the 3/32" wire as specified. I thought about going to 1/8" but didn't.

The second photo shows the 2 1/8" lite ply plates on the bottom for servicing the tailwheel, adding tail weight, etc.

The third photo shows the pull-pull servos behind the pilots seat. The tailwheel Kevlar cables are attached to the rudder servo. The rudder cables will be added later.

The fourth photo shows the cowl with dummy engine. I made the cowl look like the full scale 2 piece cowl. I glued a piece of 1/64" by 1/8" ply to the side of the cowl. I then added Bondo spotting putty above the ply. After it was dry, I sanded it flush with the ply and then added the clips.

Your fuselage is really looking good.

By the way, I made these photos with my new Olympus C750 Ultra Zoom digital.

Ken

Big_Bird 06-06-2004 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are 3 progress photos.

Ken

jwreffner 06-13-2004 05:21 PM

Big_Bird,
She's looking great! Couple of questions for you...What covering did you use? Also I see you put in the zipper in the back of the fuse...very cool. If it was fabric, how did you bond the zipper to the covering? Finally, did you paint F1 to F2? The curvature is really compound and it doesn't appear as though it would cover well with covering at all. I'll have some pics of mine in the next week or so...the fuse it getting finished shortly. Thanks for the info and keep up the great work!

Jay

Big_Bird 06-13-2004 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jay,

I used the 5 meter rolls of Solartex #588 yellow from Balsa USA. I'll spray clear Rustoleum over the fabric after I'm finished. The only paint that I'll use on the Solartex is black and red. The two zippers are nylon types. I used medium CA to bond them to the fabric and then ironed on Solartex pinking tape. Of course, they are non functional.

The upper curve between F1 & F2 is pretty extreme. I used two pieces of fabric across the fuse to cover this area and a third piece back to the cockpit.

I'll look forward to the photos.

Here is a photo of my instrument panel that I recently completed.

Ken

jwreffner 07-01-2004 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken,
Nice instrument panel. I hear the Solartex is nice stuff to work with. Not sure what I'm gonna use yet though. Here's a couple of updated shots of my 1/4 scale Jungmeister. I've got the landing gear pretty much done (not in photos) but didn't take a pic of it. Man was that ever fun to make! [:@]

Big_Bird 07-01-2004 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jay, the Jungie looks great. Can't tell it from the larger one.

I finally finished one wing. I took the photo about 5 minutes ago so the true color doesn't come through (sunset). I weighed it and it came out to be 1.25 lbs with the servo installed.

I have a goal of getting it in the air sometime in August so that I can take it to Bomber Field in September.

Ken

jwreffner 07-07-2004 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'm starting to get really mad! I just finished my stab, fin, rudder and elevators. Much to my extreme irritation, the freaking elevators aren't the same size on the plans! One is about 1/8" longer than the other! These plans for the 1/4 scale Jungmeister are really starting to kill me! [:@] Here's a pic of them...look and you can see. And no, it's not because I'm a crappy builder ;) Take a look at these pics. I tell ya...they draftsman that wrote up these plans was smoking crack!

Love,
Jay

Big_Bird 07-07-2004 07:11 PM

Simmer down Jay. Lean back and drink a cool one.;) Up to this point you have done a terrific job. I looked at the photos over and over. Without a scale I can't see the difference. You could 1) leave it alone because no one will notice 1/8" or 2) take a sanding block and round off the end of the long one to match the short one. I have found so many goofs on plans that I have built from. And these were from major designers. As long as their mistake is correctable by me, I don't usually don't give it a second thought and just fix it.

"Love,
Jay" ?

Is there something that I've missed here?

Ken

jwreffner 07-16-2004 08:26 PM

Ken,
It's just irritating, especially since the elevators are identical...they should have just flipped them over rather than redrawn it. It would just be nice to get some plans with fewer than 60 errors ;) All the problems can be overcome, it just adds to the time and frustration. As of now, I'm starting to cut ribs out. and the landing gear is almost completed. I'll upload some more shots after the bottom center wing is done w/ the gear. Probably in another week or so. I was just joking around about the love thing ;)

Jay

Big_Bird 07-16-2004 10:06 PM

Jay,

I finished the last wing panel today. I've always hated building wings. They are boring but I haven't found out how to get along without them.

Before I cover them I will finish out the rigging and get that out of the way. Hopefully I'll get to fly it in about 3 weeks.

Ken

Big_Bird 07-23-2004 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wing rigging. It's a very time consuming task but it's finished. On to wing covering.

air farce one 07-25-2004 09:53 AM

Guys,
Ya'lls Buckers are beautiful! My girlfriend Liz thinks so tooo! I built both the Pica (Pica your brains out trying to figure it out!) and the CGM Bucker, theyre a definite addiction! Am thinking of scratching a bigger Bucker. Have been trying to figure out how to do the removable wing panel design. What do you use for the carry through spar connection between panel and center section?Could somone please post a picture of the assembly or the drawing. Thanks guys. Bryce

Big_Bird 07-25-2004 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bryce,

On the Gary Allen design, there is no carry through of the spar on the wings. As you can see from the first photo, the dowel pins are the only items that enter the center section of the wings. This is a sleight departure from Gary's design on my part. On his design the dowel pins are mounted in the center section of the wing. The reason that I made the change can be seen in the second photo.

To allow easy field assembly, I use an "H" brace on the wing panels when I'm transporting the wings. This eliminates a lot of assembly of the wing bracing at the field. The "H" braces slip over the dowel pins before removing the wing by pulling the wing out of the center section about 1/4".

The wings are totally dependent on the flying/landing wires for strength. When all is in place the wing structure is very rigid.

Ken

air farce one 07-27-2004 09:17 PM

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the info. Seeing all the Buckers in the bones reminds me of my Pica Bucker. I had the bird in all assembled in the bones for about a month, just setting on the bench. She was just like a beautiful woman in her birthday suit, to beautiful to cover up! Keep up the good work. Bryce

jwreffner 07-31-2004 06:39 AM

Ken,
Quick question for ya...
Is the fiberglass arrow shaft you're using (I think it's fiberglass) in your wings structural? I'm having a hard time finding some for my wings for the servo leads and am thinking about just rolling paper inside unless you feel it adds to the structural integrity of the wings.

More pics coming soon...I promise...[>:]

Thanks,
Jay

Big_Bird 07-31-2004 09:09 AM

Jay,
No fiberglass tubes in my wings, I made the servo tubes by using a 1/2" dowel and heat shrink tubing. I covered the dowel with waxed paper before shrinking the tubing.

A good source for servo lead tubes is Gator RC http://www.gatorrc.com/ They are called feather-lite servo tubes.

Ken

rmh 07-31-2004 09:31 AM

Sure pretty work
A lot of guys don't realize that the Bucker -can be an extremely competitive aerobatic model - I think it easily beats the popular Ultimate.
I did my TOC Jungmanns after flying an old Dave Platt example which constantly flexed at the wing roots.
My wings were foam/balsa with cap strips to simulate ribs .
. Extremely strong and light but not as much fun to build.

+c0re- 07-31-2004 07:55 PM

Wow, I wish I had the building skills to create something like that. It looks absolutely fantastic, great job!

Big_Bird 07-31-2004 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks a lot for the kind words. I have the wings covered now with the pinking tape on the ribs. I didn't go to the trouble of actually stitching the covering but the tape adds a lot of realism. I'm back to putting more details on the fuselage. Golly, it sure is hard for me to know where to stop with the details. John, who owns, U-79 has been very generous in supplying me with a wealth of photos of his Jungmeister. It is currently undergoing a complete restoration in California. Here are photos of his plane.

Dick, I agree with you on the aerobatic capabilities. My first one was a dream to fly until it mid aired another plane. I plan to fly this one in mid to late August prior to taking it to Bomber Field in September.

Ken

Gremlin Castle 07-31-2004 11:06 PM

From the wing panel that I saw the pinking tape really added to the appearance. This one is going to be more spectacular than your first one.
Maybe you can put a collision avoidance system in this one.[8D]