RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Hostetler 33% Decathlon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/252861-hostetler-33%25-decathlon.html)

Big_Bird 01-16-2006 05:54 PM

RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

Scott, those are beautiful plug and molds. Wish I had that talent.

Bob, my 40 oz tank is a little ahead of cg but I really don't notice any trim shift from full to empty. So far I've never completely emptied it in flight. I limit my maximum flight time to 15 minutes no matter how much fun I'm having.

Ken

Flying Hog 01-16-2006 06:12 PM

Ken. I think what is going on is that I'm just on the nose heavy side of the C.G., and when I fill the tank, which is in the nose, it gets really nose heavy. If I move the tank to the C.G., I should see a difference.

Stripe 1 01-16-2006 10:14 PM

Hey Scott thanks for the welcome.

Neal.

Stripe 1 01-16-2006 10:16 PM

Thanks Bob.

Neal

Kellermann 01-24-2006 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HI Guys,
I am back home, safe n sound, from my Mexico trip.

On the trip back I saw a little "pilot" bear being sold aboard, complete with pilot outfit. Checking it, the size seemed to be right for my Bugs Bunny pilot, so I bought it - and voilĆ*, it fitted like a glove - well, almost.
A little adjustement here and there, and now the Bunny is dressed as he should be: complete with googles, leather casquet and jacket (complete with fur collar) ...

Next weekend the Bunny will bust the carrots at the airfield...

Marcus

Kellermann 01-24-2006 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, back to what really matters...

Yesterday I spent 2 hours making the conical washers for the cowl, as mentioned before. I drilled a hole in a block of hardwood that perfectly matched the self tapping screws with a conical head, but loose enough for the screw to go in without screwing.
Then I cut small squares of aluminum sheet, drilled a hole in the middle, and cut the edges round, resembling normal washers. I then took one by one and placed it over the hole in the block, took one of the screws and gently pressed it into the hole, using a hammer, so the aluminum washers conformed to the screw, yet were perfectly flush with the upper surface of the screwhead.
All these steps were repeated 29 times, which is the required number of cowl screws, including the one which closes the oil inspection latch.

Since the washers were not cut perfectly round (done by hand!!), I then glued them to the respective screws, and placed every single one in the Dremel chuck, and using a file, "turned" them round.
A little extra work, but worth it... the results can be seen in the pictures. Even if the washers didnĀ“t come out PERFECT, the ones at the fullsize arenĀ“t perfect either,so itĀ“s scale...

Hope you enjoy the pix.

Marcus

Flying Hog 01-24-2006 07:16 AM

Buggs looks awsome Marcus..... He'll stay warm and no bugs in the teeth.. LOL:)

Big_Bird 01-24-2006 10:24 PM

I sure like the bunny. Very cute all dressed up. The washers also look good. Can't you buy similar washers at any good hardware store? Usually made out of steel and plated.

I don't know if you have seen this thread but some of your countrymen have gotten together and started making some big gasoline engines. In post #12 they actually show a Hostetler 30% SD with one of their 60s on it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3820348

Ken

Thunderbolt47 01-24-2006 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Kellermann

Guys,
did you notice that our thread reached page #100? wow!
Guess it's the largest thread on RCU....

Marcus

I believe Extremeflite hold the record for that. 270 and growing. althought there was 80 pages before the plane ever arrived. Lots of bull there.

I still have my set of 33% hostettler plans just waiting. keep up the great work guys. Maybe next year!!

Kellermann 01-25-2006 05:07 AM

Hi Ken
no I havenĀ“t seen it before but sure liked it.

I wrote Marcelo to get more information, I think his 60cc would be the right choice for my SD...
hope the price isnĀ“t out of reach...

Marcus

Kellermann 01-25-2006 05:14 AM

Ken, If I found those washers I sure would have bought them instead going thru all the work to make them...but I couldnĀ“t find them.

Marcus

Flying Hog 01-25-2006 06:50 AM

Nice find Ken..... I hope that they are priced reasonable. I would support them.

Big_Bird 01-25-2006 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marcus, here are photos of the washers that I was mentioning. They are not the same but similar. Yours will fit flat on the surface with sufficient clearance behind the washer.

If it is so expensive to import into Brazil, how can they import the cylinder and piston assemblies and make any money? Or, is it only expensive to import a finished item such as an engine. I know that in this country OS engines always came in without the glow plug because the import duty was lower because it was not a finished product.

Ken

Kellermann 01-25-2006 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ken, I need the washers to flush with the outer surface, thatĀ“s the way itĀ“s done on the fullscale (enclosed pic). I preferred to make them by myself rather than spending hours looking after them on the hardware stores.
I tried some, wasnĀ“t lucky, so I decided to fabricate them.

I talked to Marcelo just a couple of hours ago. I liked their engine, and I am told that itĀ“s the perfect choice for planes such our Decathlons (although that may be a somewhat biased comment!!).
He sure knows the difference between glow and spark plugs, I am sure thatĀ“s what he meant on his post. Sometimes we brazilians mess up with the language.

The reason why they still make money is that only the cylinders and pistons are imported, all the other components are made in Brazil, such as the crankshaft with 3 bearings, crankcase (machined from barstock aluminum), propwasher and bolts assembly, the Carb is a commercially available Walbro unit, and the exhaust port is also angled and drilled to accept the widely spread 3W and DA mufflers.
Same for the Ignition, which is also made in Brazil. This makes for more than 50% of the engine being fabricated in the country, therefore even paying high import duties on the components, the engine will come out less expensive than importing a finished product. The crazy import duties are about 60% on this kind of stuff.

IĀ“ll get one of his engines to power my Super Deke, I have just to wait a couple of months - my budget is being seriously affected at this moment by buying a new computer radio and a giant Mr. Mulligan kit I just ordered in Europe (IĀ“ll pick them up in February on my trip over there).
Will probably do the first test hops of teh SD with the good olĀ“Quad and then switch to the Torch.

Actually, Marcelo told me heĀ“s pretty aware of the develpment of my SD (and the othersĀ“ as well) because he regularly reads the posts of this thread.

Marcus

Flying Hog 01-25-2006 04:31 PM

Hey Guys... One of my co-workers just gave me a Toro weedwacker with a 31cc engine in it. It needs a little TLC, but now I have to figure out what to put the motor in.... Any suggestions?????

Newflee 01-25-2006 04:46 PM

Not much power in those Bob.
I have a couple but they don't have a very good power to weight ratio. I have one on a Hangar 9 giant ultra stick and that works ok with the huge wing area.
Some guys have used them in BUSA cubs and such.
If you have any interest in ground based fun you could make an air boat.

Lee

Kellermann 01-30-2006 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Fellas,
just wanted to share some pix of my SDĀ“s progress.

The screws with those conical washers just look about right on the cowl, donĀ“t they?
I also primed and hole-filled the cowl and tonite itĀ“s about sanding and priming, sanding and priming again...

I also did the scale spinner, which I had a friend of mine turning and polishing it for me, but I think IĀ“ll have him making another one. This one has a tip way too sharp, the fullsize one is more rounded, otherwise it looks great...will try to re-shape it on a pneumatic hammer.

See ya all Ā“round

Marcus

Newflee 01-30-2006 05:59 PM

Don't hammer that spinner Marcus![:o]
It's a beauty. Save it for another model. Unless your a magician with a pneumatic hammer, I just can't see how you won't ruin it.

Lee

Kellermann 01-30-2006 06:08 PM

That's exactly what I thought - should never have written that...I think I'll have my buddy building another spinner for me, this time with the correct shape.
The only annoying part is that I have to go thru the whole aligning/cutting/drilling/screwing process again. Looks simple but when one doesn't have all necessary tools, it's a nightmare...I broke 3 drillsbits, 3 or 4 cutting discs, scratched the outer skin at least 3 times (close to the screws, so it's almost hidden).

Of course, the fullsize isn't perfect as well...

Well, we'll see.

Marcus

Big_Bird 01-30-2006 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marcus, I agree with Lee, don't ruin that spinner. The screws and washers look good. Is it my eyesight or does this set of photos look a little out of focus?

Here is my Tru-Turn spinner for comparison purposes.

Ken

Kellermann 01-30-2006 07:37 PM

Keep cool guys,
I won't touch the spinner...looks good to me, only for competition purposes I'll have another one done...

Yes Ken, the pix all are somewhat out of focus, don't know what happens to the cam sometimes, I don't take pix with flash because they don't look natural. Maybe it's why the cam can't focus correctly...but guess the spinner close-up is ok...

Just started to prime the cowl with white, so the red will come out brighter...

See ya all tomorrow.

Marcus

michou41a 01-31-2006 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more pics!!

michou41a 01-31-2006 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here my 33% Modelbau Decathlon,3w150cc project

Big_Bird 01-31-2006 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: michou41a

Here my 33% Modelbau Decathlon,3w150cc project
Great looking plane but do you really think a 3W150 will be enough power? I'm not sure it will. :D

Ken

michou41a 01-31-2006 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this 3w150cc will be enough, next week, we will start another one with a zdz 160cc champion or 3w157cc!! :eek:, we will send more pics next week.

Michel