RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   Hostetler 33% Decathlon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/252861-hostetler-33%25-decathlon.html)

Bobt2 10-07-2012 03:38 PM

RE: Hostetler 33% Decathlon

ok, new to this forum. thinking of starting the wh33%. i already have the plans and will get a pcut kit. what about the cowl not fitting. i see something abouts stans, but that was 10 years ago. is that issue also with fiberteck and more?

Kellermann 10-08-2012 04:42 AM

Bobt2

No issues about Stan´s or Fibertech cowls. They fit perfectly. The issue is about the overall scale fidelity of the WH design, and possibly fitting other, more scale cowls, to the WH design. Not possible w/o some changeneering on the design itself.

Marcus

ludfleet 10-08-2012 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Bobt2 and Marcus, I tried to find Stan's fibertech on line with no luck, so I had an old emaiil address that I used to contact them when I got mine.
Sent him a question as to whether still in business and the mail came back. Guess he's not in business anymore. The Fiberglass Specialtiesdoes has issues as to how it fits the fuse.
I have included a picture that they sent me showing the problem. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Joe

ludfleet 10-08-2012 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo to prove I'm really working it, I need to get the elevator lservos and linkage done, then sanding and covering.

ludfleet 10-08-2012 07:25 AM

Sorry about my last post site not working right my picture didn't upload. Also, the real one in the picture is what mine is going to be done like. Joe

Bobt2 10-08-2012 12:39 PM

ok, thanks. from what i see, there is no more stans.

Bobt2 10-08-2012 05:04 PM

i an going with fibertech and more, altho i suspect they all use the same wh plug.

ludfleet 10-09-2012 05:51 AM

Thanks Bobt2 for finding fibertech N more I searched on line yesterday and came up with nothing. Apparently Fibertech bought out Stans, so that is definitely the right way to go. Stans cowl fits my fuse exactly.
I'm pretty sure they don't use the same plug because of the diference between the two. Also none of the after market wheel pants are scale, just depends
how scale you are looking for.

Kellermann 10-09-2012 10:17 AM

That´s why I always say it´s easier to start allover again with a kit from, well, you know whom...just check my website to find out marcusmodelfactory dot com...

Marcus

Bobt2 10-09-2012 04:19 PM

sorry, this is a build forum, not advertising!

Kellermann 10-09-2012 06:06 PM

I am not advertising, you got it all wrong. I am a long time contributor and those who are familiar with this thread know I never advertise. This has become a generic thread over the years, talking all about Decathlons, and if I was was a hardcore seller i would not share all the info and knowledge I gathered over the years abut this design.
For the advertising and selling purposes I set up my own showcasing thread at another modeling forum.

okieloco48 10-09-2012 06:45 PM

I agree Bobt2, I was trying to join in the discussions on this forum but found everything I said being rebutted by Marcus! So I just quit trying. I thought this was a building forum for the Hostetler 33% Super Decathlon. The idea being exchanging thoughts and changes to make this particular airplane better not trash can all the work and materials invested to buy a kit that is 3 times too expensive!

Bobt2 10-10-2012 03:07 AM

my feelings exactly. i did research on the HOSTETLER decathlon. thats what i,m here for. no more rants, the kit was ordered yesterday.

Kellermann 10-10-2012 04:37 AM

OK, guys you´re all right. I apologize if any of you got offended. This thread will get back on track = purely Hostettler SD.

ludfleet 10-10-2012 05:50 AM

Hello Marcus, It appears that a couple of guys have taken offense to something not sure really what. However, I would like to take this opportunity reinforce the fact of what a major contributor you have been to this forum
and I sure hope that you will continue. I understand that you are not really a Hostetler builder but have been here because of the love that you have for the Decathlon. I have enjoyed reading all the information that you have shared with us,
and hope that you don't bow out of this forum. Thanks Marcus,. Joe

Bobt2 10-10-2012 08:32 AM

the kit order to precision cut was cancelled. i don't want to wait 8 weeks. national balsa will do it in 3 weeks or less. they got the order. i will order the glass when the kit is on the way.

ludfleet 10-10-2012 10:10 AM

That's great Bob, I buy all my woood from National Balsa very good quality wood.

Kellermann 10-10-2012 05:37 PM

Joe, at the first moment I decided to bail out. However considering your words I reconsidered. Thanks for those nice words.
I agree however, that this will have to get back to be a true WH building forum.

For posts or updates on my own Decathlons etc please visit my own showcasing thread at Flyying Giiants (wrong spelling on purpose).

See you there

Marcus

ludfleet 10-14-2012 04:02 AM

Hello Marcus, Do you have a good picture of the radiator in the lower part of the cowl? Or could I ask you to send me a picture of what you do for your kit. I've tried to find a picture on line of that area but haven't found
one good enough to see what I need to reproduce. There are no Decathlons in my area. Does the Citabria have the same part? Whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated. Joe

Kellermann 10-14-2012 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Joe you hit the jackpot.
Here are a couple of pix of both full size and my replicas. First 3 pix are fullsize, all other replicas
Not all Citabrias have/had the same radiator as the Decathlons.
Marcus

ludfleet 10-14-2012 06:27 PM

Marcus, Thank you so much, now I see enough to be able to fabricate what I need. thanks Joe

Bobt2 10-18-2012 03:49 PM

kit on the way, glass and gear on the way. everything else already on hand!

Bobt2 10-19-2012 08:10 AM

ups ground from national to here was overnight!

Bobt2 10-22-2012 09:51 AM

to all who have gone before me, this is my 1st laser cut kit. do you have to sand all the "burnt" edges before gluing?

ludfleet 10-23-2012 09:35 AM

I never have, not sure how the other guys handled it. I have only built one laser cut kit, the edges on the cut parts were burnt but very smooth, saw no reason to sand before gluing.
I can only say that it built very strong. I used titebond. Joe